Tom Cruise’s ‘The Mummy’ Gets New Release Date

Tom Cruise the Mummy Reboot
Erik Pendzich/Rex/REX Shutterstock

Now that Tom Cruise has officially signed on, Universal has set a new release date for its reboot of “The Mummy”: the film will bow on June 9, 2017.

Sofia Boutella is on board to play the classic monster with Alex Kurtzman directing.

Pic was originally set to bow on Mar. 24, 2017.

The studio tapped Kurtzman and Chris Morgan last summer to help develop a universe for Universal in which its classic monster movie library is front and center. Kurtzman is also on board to direct and will produce alongside Morgan as well as Sean Daniel.

Jon Spaihts is penning the script. Plot details are vague other than it will be set in present day, unlike the previous three installments starring Brendan Fraser.

Cruise isn’t expected to produce, but he will play a major part in development. Characters from the monster universe films are expected to crop up in each other’s installments before culminating in an “Avengers”-style tie-in film.

Universal’s executive VP of production Jon Mone and VP of development Jay Polidoro will oversee the project for the studio.

1. basit sheikh says:

Im Waiting

2. Regan Fraser says:

I have contempt for this version of ‘The Mummy’ and will boycott it with whomever will follow my lead, outside the local cineplex on it’s opening day. Why? I don’t like that my brother, Brendan Fraser, would have anything to do with Tom Cruise, nor the false and sinister pseudo-religious cult of which he is part. I refer, of course to Scientology.
    At a time when America bans a religious group from it’s borders, Tom Cruise fans ought to know that Scientology is a cult that is outright banned from the entire peace-loving and democratic nation of France!
    Tom Cruise, if you read this, know that if you mess with my brother with your false religion, you’re ALSO messing and offending me! I am Regan Fraser. I am Brendan’s big brother, and I CARE about his well-being. [I AM SURE THAT MODERATORS (READ: CENSORS) WILL DELETE MY CANDID COMMENTS…WHICH ONLY PROVES THERE’S NOT REALLY FREE SPEECH in AMERICA…WELL AT LEAST IT STILL EXISTS IN CANADA]
    P.S. Canada doesn’t need anymore “convenient” Canadians like yourself, nor false religion like Scientology, and Canada is welcoming the Muslims that the USA rejects.

3. bootsnchaps says:

Hopefully Cruise won’t wear a baseball cap in this one.

4. Oh God, I hope the mummy wins this time….

5. Error says:

6. Barry Mead says:

Reboot, reboot, why not just make a film called that. I am so sick of prequels and reboots. I want sequels or re starting series to continue where they left off then maybe a movie. Or, original stuff.

Look at the fantastic material we have, Jack Reacher, ruined (and i like Cruise) by Tom because he was wrong for it.
    When will studios learn we WANT it to be like the book, and we want the right casting.
    And we are bored of prequels and reboots

7. webslinger48 says:

I don’t think we have enough cinematic universes yet.

Let’s make 25 individual movies covering the origin stories of each and every player on the 1927 New York Yankees.

Then in the 26th movie they will all join forces Avengers-like to play the Philadelphia Athletics in the first game of the season.

Pure gold.

8. Devastation says:

Honestly scared because it’s based on present day. Even though I have nothing against stories being based on present day; I hope The director and story writer will make this one hell of a movie because The Mummy 1&2 being based in the past is what gave it a more magical feel to the story. Now it’s going to be all realistic with 20 minute long conversation about politics rather than the Mummy itself. I HOPE THE DIRECTOR DOESNT FORGET THE MAGIC AND LORE which made part 1&2 so good. Fighting evil sorcerers and dark emperors. Using mythical weapons to slay scorpion monsters.

I hope this won’t be just some generic military politics movie with cheap looking monsters. Kinda like Hunger Games 3

I love The Mummy 1&2, even 3 ONLY BECAUSE OF Jet Li and the regular cast

9. Robert says:

No one here seems to notice that we now have a girl Mummy. Could be fun.

10. Bliz says:

I hope they do the mash

11. Bliz says:

Alright. Finally a big budget modern version of the mummy!!!! I hope they make three of them and that somehow they cast a cool talented actor like the rock. Just a suggestion that i think might please audiences. Im glad that theres so many original envelope pushing films being made now. Awesome.

12. Citing a mixture of “shoddy journalism” and “religious bigotry,” the Church of Scientology is threatening to sue Vanity Fair over a recent article claiming that it helped “audition” young actresses to find a suitable girlfriend for Tom Cruise.

13. Duder NME says:

” Characters from the monster universe films are expected to crop up in each other’s installments before culminating in an “Avengers”-style tie-in film.”

Dracula, Invisible Man, Adam, Imhotep, Lupus, the Lagoonite, the Blob, Cthulhu, and Van Helsing are gonna fight… God? I just might see that.

14. rossmitchell says:

At least the mummy reeboot is ent brendon fraser they were crap at least its got good film makers behind it kurtsman and morgan the fast films and cruise himself

15. Tom Cruise > Brendan Fraser, but something tells me Tom Cruise’s “The Mummy” << Brendan Fraser's
    "The Mummy".

16. Midwest USA says:

Let’s see if he does his own stunts in this one, or not? just kidding…

17. ron says:

His last 4 movies have averaged over 370 million a movie. Apparently someone likes his movies.

18. Universal, you’re very very wrong…..

19. alex says:

They’ll ruin all these monster films with politically correct racial tokenism in the casting and continued belittling of European males,

20. Daisy Brown says:

…,..,G­­o­­­o­­­g­­l­­e­­­ i­­s­­ <­­-p­­a­­y­­i­­n­­g­­ 9­­7­­$ p­­e­­r h­­o­­u­­r! ­­W­­o­­r­­k ­­f­­­­o­­r ­­f­­­­e­­­­w­­ h­­­­o­­u­­r­­s ­­a­­n­­d h­­a­­v­­e l­­o­­n­­g­­e­­r w­­i­­t­­h­­ f­­­­r­­i­­e­­n­­d­­s & ­­f­­a­­m­­i­­l­­y­­! ­­O­­n ­­t­­u­­e­­s­­d­­a­­y I g­­o­­t ­­a­­ g­­r­­e­­a­­t ­­n­­e­­w­­ L­­a­­n­­d­­ R­­o­­v­­e­­r ­­R­­a­­n­­g­­e ­­R­­o­­v­­e­­r­­ f­­r­­o­­m h­­a­­v­­i­­n­­g e­­a­­r­­n­­e­­d­­ $­­8­­7­­2 t­­h­­i­­s ­­l­­a­­s­­t­­ f­­o­­u­­r­­ w­­e­­­­e­­k­­s.­­.­­ I­­t­­ s­­o­­u­­n­­d­­s­­ u­­n­­b­­e­­l­­i­­e­­v­­a­­b­­l­­e­­ b­­u­­t ­­y­­o­­u w­­o­­n­­t f­­o­­r­­g­­i­­v­­e ­­y­­o­­u­­r­­s­­e­­l­­f i­­f ­­y­­o­­u ­­d­­o­­n­­’­­t­­ c­­h­­e­­c­­k i­­t­­…~
    ➤➤➤➤➤➤. Click.Here.To.Read.Full.Detail……

21. Dunstan says:

God save us all from this kind of crap.

22. Stacey of fakenewspapersdotcom says:

I sure hope this is pretty much more impressive than the previous The Mummy’s!

23. Moe says:

Let’s hope it’s not a remake of the Brendan Fraser movie. They should do it like the old ones from the 1930s.

24. Dave J. says:

Reboot again! Brendan Fraser it looks like you have competition!

25. Jim Davies says:

With Cruise’s acting abilities, he probably got the role of the bandage.

26. Jerry says:

I guess we can look forward to The Mummy Vs Dracula in Summer 2021. Just kill me.

27. Lacey Sheridan says:

This could be a lot of fun! I liked the mummy movies; good, escapist entertainment. Cruise always turns in a professional performance.

28. TC always does a great job and pulls in the eyes and the green.

29. justsaying says:

This looks like a bomb in the making.

30. Bill B. says:

I don’t know what is more stupid. Remaking this not terribly good film so soon or moving it’s release date to the same day as the next Divergent movie & the WWZ sequel? And what’s with Cruise?! I could care less about him anymore, but has he just given up on making serious films? He hasn’t made anything but sci-fi and action movies in years.

• Dunstan says:

Bill, while I share your frustration over something so seemingly lacking in any semblance of creativity, your comment about the shared release dates for these three big studio films makes little, if any, sense. The films will play for at least a few weeks. Are you having difficulty scheduling your 2017 movie-going? See one a day for three days.

• therealeverton says:

How much less could you care exactly?

Also making Sci-Fi doesn’t you mean you aren’t making serious, or quality films. Not to mention what’s wrong with making “Entertainment”?

• Silas says:

Atirus, how did you get the impression that he cares little? He implied that he cares to some degree, and left open the possibility that he cares a lot.

• Atirus says:

Cares so little about but still has so much to say. LOL!

31. LOL says:

Why is Cruise making genre crap like this anyhow? In fact, he seems to have given up on winning an Oscar all together.

32. Dr.Salwa shawer says:

Tom cruise is great and Universal company is huge and I love to watch a movie like that

33. DougW says:

Did anyone look at the schedule before moving it? “World War Z 2” and “The Divergent Series: Ascendant” are already on that date. It’d be fun to see what happens if nobody moves.

34. James says:

What? Didn’t they deny any involvement?