‘Suicide Squad’: Jared Leto Addresses How Many Joker Scenes Were Cut

Suicide Squad Joker
Courtesy of Warner Bros.

Spoiler alert: This post contains plot details from “Suicide Squad.”

Jared Leto put a lot of work into developing his Joker character in “Suicide Squad,” but fans will not be seeing much of it on the big screen.

Half-way through the film, Joker’s helicopter crashes, and he doesn’t resurface until the final scene. When asked by IGN what happened, Leto responded, “That’s a good question.”

“I have no idea,” he said. “I think he probably went and had a drink or something. Stretched – once you get blown up in a helicopter your muscles get a little tight.”

While Leto initially seemed calm, his poker face went away when asked if he was upset about the scenes being cut.

Related

The Joker

Ranking the Jokers From Worst to Best

“Were there any that didn’t get cut? I’m asking you, were there any that didn’t get cut? There were so many scenes that got cut from the movie, I couldn’t even start,” he said. “If I die anytime soon, it’s probably likely that it’ll surface somewhere. That’s the good news about the death of an actor is all that stuff seems to come out.”

Rolling Stones critic Peter Travers called Leto’s role “a glorified walk-on,” while Variety’s Peter Debruge described his appearance as “grafted on.”

But while Leto’s tattooed Joker may only appear in “Suicide Squad” under 15 minutes, he does get his shine elsewhere.

He appears alongside Rick Ross in the music video for “Purple Lamborghini” by Skrillex. The video features the Joker and Ross tearing through the streets of Gotham City in a Lamborghini, stopping to spend some time in a creepy, dimly-lit nightclub full of women and masked hit men as well as scenes of the crew taking in the glory of Gotham on a boat.

In response to the “Suicide Squad” deleted scenes, director David Ayer said the Blu-ray version has over 10 minutes of deleted scenes and responded with a “maybe” when asked if they featured the Joker and Harley Quinn.

“Suicide Squad” is currently in theaters as of August 5.

1. 5t31th says:

I’m glad they cut out that dumb Marilyn Manson wanna be out of the film. They should have just gotten Manson to play joker instead of dressing Jared Leto up as a Manson looking jugalo.

2. Pokemongogo says:

Jared Leto the overrated actor who only got an Oscar alongside becuase he stared in a pro homosexual propaganda film. Hollywood is a joke stop casting these fools.

3. John says:

I thought it was a really good movie. Bad guys should of been better and joker was alright but the cast was great and movie had heart and fun action. This movie is getting unnecessary hate. Probably based on people’s overblown hype for it expecting it will be dark night or terminator 2 or something.

4. John says:

Thank God they cut his scenes his joker was alright but nothing special. Also it’s not a joker movie it’s suicide squad.

5. Tim says:

so in other words save money for the extended cut

6. Sophia says:

I like suicide squad I think he played good and I think Harley Quinn played it good to

7. HumanPorch says:

There is no Lamborghini in that video

8. ProfessorX says:

The problem is the film itself bad writing, bad direction, bad editing, bad concept, bad story, the love story is absurd, no chemistry, no sense at all, the Joker needed to be the villain not the boyfriend to push Harley Quinn franchise which is doomed with this actress, Margot Robbie’s acting is terrible, she made Harley unbearable, her charms on display is what’s saving her, the origin story set the tone and this character has no future, give Leto a good script, a good director let the Joker be the Joker not the boyfriend a psycho in love? That’s not even is possible, these idiots downgraded the character, let Leto be the bad guy among good actors in a story that makes sense, with a director that can guide him. With or without the scenes that were cut the Joker doesn’t belong in this story unless they would’ve made him the main villain, the Joker is not some crazy chick’s boyfriend, the Joker is a big deal not something to be used to push someone else’s story, make money with honest concepts, not misusing iconic characters, stop disrespecting the fans.

• Timothy J Rodowicz says:

It’s more just like his character was shit even in the scenes they kept. He couldn’t even hold a voice. He changed it so much during just one conversation between his normal Jared voice, Heath’s joker voice, and his Jared voice but slightly deeper. I just didn’t feel like his character was a “Joker”

• Ahsoka23 says:

Professor X. Wow!! Well said.

9. Dan says:

They cut him because he gave the worst, most forced, preteen boy depiction of the joker – EVER. Just awful.

10. goldenshogun says:

Aww, boo-hoo! The egomaniac got his feelings hurt. Maybe they cut most of your scenes cause your interpretation of the Joker was a forced, awkward mess and you’re not as great of an actor as you think.

11. SMertz74 says:

Based on the trailers alone, I thought the Suicide Squad was fighting the Joker. I didn’t read the stuff on the Internet that gave away the plot to the movie. To find the Joker was just this side thing…it distracted from the movie really. He had no true purpose in the movie.

So I was disappointed with the movie’s true “villain,” a character I had no clue about as I’m not a rabid comic book fan. The movie lost some of it’s shine with me.

Also got irritated with scenes in the trailer not making the movie, especially the bar scene. When you spend months looking forward to something and not seeing it in the final cut, leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.

12. yaritza villegas says:

Probably reason number 1 why it sucked

13. rafaelo says:

I’m sure it’s a cameo for a future Joker-centered film. Always leave them wanting more!

14. I went to see the Oscar winning Jared Leto playing the Joker! And David Ayer says MAYBE the deleted scenes will be on the DVD? What a creep.
    It’s like someone working on a job for months and the boss throws out most of your work because of a change in the presentation. You can’t blame Jared for being upset. Jared was an amazing Joker so there is no way anything was deleted because it wasn’t good.

• John says:

Oscars don’t mean a thing I mean Jennifer Hudson got one that’s how much of a joke they are. Jared did an okay job but he was not amazing. But the cuts are good becuase it’s suicide squad not a joker or batman movie.

• In the acting world, Oscars do mean something – you get offers you normally wouldn’t receive & a pay raise. However, my point was Jared is a very amazing, talented actor and there was a lot of talk about the Joker during the marketing of this movie. Some people were looking forward to more than we got based on the ads. I get that they are allowed to make changes & cuts – it’s just disappointing to Jared and some fans.

15. Jason D says:

Why would you tout a character like The Joker and actor like Jared Leto, then cut him from the final version? Sounds stupid to me.

16. Mitchell barentsen says:

Was fucking livid when he was only on scene for like 12 minutes. What a joke.

17. mike says:

Maybe they were cut so he would not over shadow the film? Hey; he was selected to do the film in the first place, and he got the same $ . Guess it depends on how you look at it. I would imagine their were lines of others wanting the part. Maybe someone trying to make a story out of nothing.

18. Alex says:

“He appears alongside Rick Ross in the music video for “Purple Lamborghini” by Skrillex. The video features the Joker and Ross tearing through the streets of Gotham City in a Lamborghini, stopping to spend some time in a creepy, dimly-lit nightclub full of women and masked hit men as well as scenes of the crew taking in the glory of Gotham on a boat.”

You didn’t even watch the video. What a crappy online magazine.

19. M. says:

oh, poor Leto…. at least he has his cult to go back to… at least he tricked quite a bunch of teens to worship him… it’s hard being an actor, it’s easier to be a self glorified pop star…

20. Guest says:

A shame. Leto put a huge amount of working the role, the fans were excited mostly for Joker and Harley. Here’s an idea Warner Bros if you’re not going to have hardly any Joker in your movie don’t advertise him in most of the trailers! Seriously there was at least two or three scenes I saw of Joker in the trailers that weren’t in the movie. A disappointment for only for the actor but for the fans stupidly thinking when you advertise a character so much in trailers you were going to put him in the movie for more then ten mins max!

21. patrik says:

offensive campaign(Suicide Squad) = $140M(Warner Bros) weekend US

22. Aemii says:

Ugh. Whoever is giving notes and editing these films needs to get gone from the movie business. DCEU originally tried the schtick of ‘filmmaker-driven’ movies, as opposed to the Marvel ‘formula’.. but it’s all too clear at this point that is all it was; schtick. With no basis in reality.

Hire creative talent (presumably based off a proven track record, and what they’ve created previously). Trust the creative talent to produce the goods. Don’t add in your own ideas to muddle things up… again.

I saw it, and it was clear that there’s a good movie in there somewhere. But while it was still a fun watch, it wasn’t a particularly high quality one. I likely won’t be watching it again.

23. JR says:

Remember that first trailer? The “I started a joke” one? THAT movie I wanted to see! I thought, Great that WB might actually be trying to do a serious film with these characters. Instead we got this…thing. Just wait until the Warner Bros suits get their hands on Justice League.

• Mar says:

Maybe they didn’t go so serious because of the whiny fans who said BVS was too dark. I love the more mature version comic movies, and I was really hoping the Joker would have been a very dark, sadistic maniac to counter the clownish attire… I like the look, but the look partnered with a pure evil demeanor would make it even better. I love the villains, but I am very picky with who gets on the list of my favorites. Jared’s Joker has potential and because I see what he could be, his Joker made it to my list. Sadly, he didn’t seem to make it much into Suicide Squad… I was going to see it because the trailers made it so Joker- centered. I don’t think I’m interested anymore… might shatter the sinister image I’ve created of this Joker. Now I have 3 favorite villains… I am happy enough with that.

• Ahsoka23 says:

You are right. I wanted to see that movie. That movie looked raw, gritty and somewhat close to the Nolan Batman movies. I have no idea what happened. Too many re-writes, same thing happened to Spectre.

24. they should have never cut him out i mean his scenes were really good if they kept more of him in the movie then maybe it would get a better grade. (i loved it still).

25. KillingJoke says:

Jared Leto is the best thing this movie has, the best actor, the best performance, and the best part, Ayer is an idiot to have wasted this Joker like this to push his pet project Harley, Ayer needs to learn how to write and direct first and foremost. WB wise up!

26. C.D.Carney says:

First and foremost- why have the hype build up for so long focusing on Leto as the Joker only to not only CUT most of his scenes but then not even bother including them on the blu ray????? Seriously, until recently no one knew anything about Suicide Squad other than Jared Leto was going to play the Joker. WOW! Then they do this? No wonder Hollyweird is losing so much ground to disinterested movie-goers and online downloads.

27. V_Hef_ says:

wait…this was not Joker & the suicide squad…it was suicide squad.

28. Alex says:

‘Grafted on.’ That’s a perfect way to put it. The only thing sadder than this mess of a movie is the crazy amount it will make this weekend

• Guest says:

Right and just because you or some others didn’t like it means it’s a terrible movie right? What a pompous ridiculous view you have, have you pulled that stick out of your a&@ yet mate?

• Ahsoka23 says:

Fanboys will be fanboys. No matter how “crappy” a movie is they will see so that they can make a blog or vlog complaining about it. I just wonder if they know how much they are feeding into the franchise by seeing the film (sometimes more than once) and then my making vlogs complaining about it.

29. Michael says:

Thanks for the spoiler, idiot.

• Steve Sauve says:

“Spoiler Alert” in bold letters at the top of the article, idiot.

• millerfilm says:

So, the article warns you at the top, in bold letters, that there are spoilers and you read it anyway? And, now you’re complaining? Sure, why not?

30. Pieter Samara says:

Hopefully there will be a Director’s cut with all the Joker and other cut scenes added back, so the film makes more sense especially for a sequel, where character development is an imperative.

However, here’s an idea. As the film is ending its run, to rerelease it under the Director’s cut. Then everyone that went to see it once will go again.

31. millerfilm says:

So, they cut out what fans most wanted to see? Okay!

• I’m so saddened by the studio’s decision to hack up not one but now two movies in a row in this horrible fashion…they absolutely decimated Batman V Superman…and now it looks like they pulled a duece with Suicide Squad as well…when will these asshat clowns who pretend to know better than the directors of the movies, take their egos and turn it down a notch?…mostly I feel bad for DC.

• Johnny Mnemonic says:

I am as also very saddened. At least with BvS, they just took out scenes that could be added back later. There are just rumors floating around at this point (b/c Ayer is putting on a brave face and taking the bullet) but the story appears to be that there were competing cuts of the film (Ayer’s darker take with more Joker and a studio take) and the studio version tested better so the compromise was to mash them together. I don’t think Ayer is as much at fault as WB for not hiring a writer who is somewhat familiar with the source material for such a rushed production or pairing him with a writer, producer, anyone who had a better idea for the main antagonist and story in general. Also, once they hired Ayer, WB should have just let him do what he had already done instead of trying to over correct after BvS.

It is just frustrating how much potential there is in the cast (I thought the actors did the best they could with the material with Margot Robbie and Viola Davis knocking it out the park), look (production design and cinematography are bold and memorable), and concept (villains as the protagonist) only to end up with a weird sort of fun two hour collection of music videos and flashbacks.