Sony Rebooting Jim Henson’s ‘Labyrinth’

Sony Rebooting Jim Henson's 'Labyrinth'
Courtesy of Henson

Sony is developing a reboot of “Labyrinth,” the final movie directed by Jim Henson, and has closed a deal with the Jim Henson Co. to produce the film with Sony’s TriStar division.

Lisa Henson of the Henson Co. will produce the project. “Guardians of the Galaxy” co-writer Nicole Perlman will write the script.

The original musical fantasy movie, released in 1986, starred a 15-year-old Jennifer Connelly as the protagonist who has to navigate a maze to save her infant brother, who had been kidnapped by a goblin king — played by David Bowie, who recorded five songs for the film.

Most of the characters in the film were played by puppets produced by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. George Lucas executive produced and Monty Python member Terry Jones wrote the screenplay.

“The Labyrinth” carried a $25 million budget and underperformed at the box office, grossing less than $13 million for TriStar, but became successful in home video and DVD. “Labyrinth” was a disappointment for Henson, who had seen success with the first three Muppet movies and “The Dark Crystal.”

Tri-Star’s Nicole Brown will oversee the new “Labyrinth” for the studio. Perlman is writing “Captain Marvel” with Meg LeFauve (“Inside Out”).

Perlman is repped by CAA and Management 360. The news was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

1. Willy says:

Nicole Perlman actually claims on her own twitter, that they are not remaking/rebooting the film. Maybe your info was a little mis-handled or misinterpreted from just a sequel. Just a fyi

2. Wow this is disappointing. You suck whoever decided to plaster over an awesome part of David Bowie’s career. I hate you.

3. slywlf says:

So, what are they going to do – besmirch the memory of David’s mesmerizing performance and replace Henson’s brilliant puppetry with still more generic CGI? Pass! No wonder there are so many zombie and vampire movies and TV being made – Hollywood has run so dry of imagination and inspiration that everything is either a reboot/remake or otherwise stealing from past glories. PASS!

4. I will so enjoy NOT seeing this.

5. Ima Right says:

MORE HOLLYWEIRD GARBAGE! THAT’S WHY MOST OF MOVIE AND TV SUCKS TODAY! HOW
    MANY MORE REMAKES AND CSI AND NOT FUNNY COMEDIES CAN THEY MAKE? THAT’S WHY
    I’M GLAD I HAVE A BIG COLLECTION OF CLASSIC TV AND MOVIES AND CANCELLED CABLE!
    TONIGHT I’M ENJOYING THE ORIGINAL NIGHT GALLERY MOVIE FROM THE 70’S! CLASSIC!
    AND LATER ON COMET TV ‘MOTEL HELL’ WHICH I DON’T HAVE IN MY HORROR COLLECTION.
    LAST MOVIE I PAID TO SEE WAS APPALOOSA WITH ED HARRIS AND SUPER 8 TWO MOVIES
    MADE THE WAY MOVIES SHOULD AND WERE MADE! ORIGINAL AND GOOD WRITING AND
    DIRECTING WITHOUT PATHETIC OVER PAID NO TALENT ACTORS WITH SPECIAL EFFECTS.

6. Neil says:

SO MUCH NO.

Sick / bored / tired / over all of these reboot refresh restarts reimagining of films that are fine left alone

And cult classics are the most under threat!

I don’t want to hear that ghostbusters, rocky horror, goonies, labyrinth, or any other film that I grew up with needs ruining by someone that the studio hires to whore some more milk out of

Films when you’re growing up interweave with our growing imaginations, our influences, and expanding boundaries of age – it’s not a secret we hold some films dear – they are snapshots of worlds we lived in becoming who we are

I know I’m over embellishing but you see my point – We. Love. Films.

And constantly hearing all the kooky, unique, films we love are subject to ringing out for more cash by remaking them is a kin to lifting up a dead relatives corpse and dancing round how the director envisions “how they would twerk if they’d been born in 2016”

So in vein of my metaphor; put my grandma down – I’m happy remembering her as she was

7. C M says:

This is absolute B.S.! No one and I repeat no one in Hollywood has an original thought in their head anymore so they have to reboot or remake classics. I for one will be boycotting this movie if it does get made. This is in bad taste Sony because it is announced only weeks after David Bowie’s death.

8. Nope, I won’t even give the trailer the time of day when it comes out. This is completely unnecessary and disrespectful to Bowie’s very recent passing, and I know a ton of people who also won’t watch it. Hopefully if everyone votes with their dollars and makes this more of a flop than Gem and the Point Break remake, maybe that’ll help get the point across that we don’t want reboots and remakes of films that really don’t need it. And I’m not totally opposed to remakes either, there are many that I do rather enjoy like the Thing and Scarface, but the originals to those films weren’t highly remembered or cared about per say, and if they want to remake/reboot things, do it to films and properties that doesn’t have such a die hard fan base that will just end up ranting about how bad of an idea it is,, do it with films that aren’t really remembered or were that good in the first place and improve on them and make them better. That’s my opinion on the matter anyway.

9. Michelle Tritschler says:

I am so saddened to hear this. My childhood was shaped by amazing, theatrical, interesting and ORIGINAL movies. It is so disappointing that my children are growing up with cheap remakes and endless reboots. Movies use to hold some magic. Hollywood keeps pissing on everything I love. Is nothing sacred? The only way they can even begin to do Jim Henson and David Bowie’S legacy any justice is by LEAVING THIS MOVIE ALONE!! If you want to make money re-release it in theaters so I, along with millions of other fans, can see our goblin king on the big screen one last time. You make money, we can share a beloved movie with the younger generation and the memory of legends aren’t disregarded. WE ALL WIN!

10. Malcolm says:

Labyrinth is one of my favorite films.

The manga continuation was quite good.

This is a terrible idea, and the announcement is EXTREMELY poorly timed.

No thank you.

11. Michael says:

“Reboot” is the new “Remake” … it doesn’t change the fact that it’s pointless.

12. At best, the timing on the announcement is unfortunate. At worst, it is offensively disrespectful. What it proves is that, after the Spider Man debacle with Marvel, after the hacking situation precipitated by The Interview and culminating with the leak of emails showing exactly how clueless their top people actually are, nothing has changed. You don’t announce you’re going to knock over the legacies of TWO gifted artists only a week or so after one of them has died.

Two? Well, yes. Bowie, of course. But I cannot see this movie being the puppet tour-de-force the original was. It will be a CGI-fest like everything else because it has to be. It’s the same talk everyone had when the Dark Crystal sequels were rumored a couple of years ago. “It’s the Dark Crystal…without puppets!” WHICH WAS WHAT MADE THE ORIGINAL SO GREAT.

So…yes…the bleeding-out of Hollywood creatively continues, un-stitched and un-cauterized. I think Nicole Perlman is fantastic, but she’s be more fantastic if you gave her some of Brian Froud’s sketchbooks, put her in a meeting with Terry Jones, and let these three creative people actually be creative. It just proves the brass — in this case Sony’s brass — are so bereft of desire to try now, you could make them remake anything. “Hey we made Krull, didn’t we? We should do more of that too!”

13. iceblast says:

Labyrinth is a very unique movie, made so by David Bowie, and his voice. You can’t remake this movie.

I don’t know how they can do anything with that story, now. To much time has past. Even if David was alive, they couldn’t do it.

Even if you make a different Labyrinth, many people will not watch it, because of the first, and David Bowie. This feels to much like a cash grab, because of his death. There is to many things to overcome before you can get a audience to watch it.

I think it would be a seriously stupid move to touch Labyrinth in anyway.

There are at least a hundred Urban Fantasy novels I can think of, that are just begging to be made into a series of films, that actually stand a chance at making a ton of money, why not do that instead.

14. neemsemmi says:

Interesting! Well, not really…

15. Richard says:

From what I’ve been told this is NOT a reboot per se.
    They are not redoing the original story but are instead continuing on down the road.
    I can envision a number of ways this can be done that is respectful to memory of Bowie
    so certainly they do too. Hensen productions is not about to make a Jem and the Holograms type
    mistake.

16. Amanda Pike says:

So the maniacs in Hollywood are actually considering it. They’re going to remake Labyrinth. May the God of Glam (Bowie) have mercy on their souls…

I cannot stop them from doing it but as an avid fan I can make a few suggestions that I think might save this project from turning into an NBC’s Dracula or the Fright Night remake (shudder). Let’s begin.

1. Guillermo Del Toro should probably direct. Del Toro knows fantasy besides horror. And he still believes in practical effects. Imagine what he could do with Labyrinth. I am not mentioning him because of Pan’s Labyrinth but because of the fantasy interwoven with comedy in his Hellboy movies. Also Guillermo Del Toro uses old fashioned practical effects. Labyrinth NEEDS practical effects.

2. The scoring needs to be dramatic yet easily transcend into rock music. So I suggest Danny Elfman. Many forget his career began with the eightis rock band Oingo Boingo. He gave us Weird Science. He knows how to do these things.

3. I acknowledge that Jareth is an immortal who will forever reign and outlived the man who portrayed him. We will always miss David Bowie but Jareth will live on and we should take comfort in this instead of resenting it. However Jareth can NOT be played by someone younger than thirty five. David Bowie was very nearly forty when he played Jareth. I do not want to see a member of One Direction or Justin Beiber. Someone like Voltaire needs to take up the role. He also needs to (like Bowie) have free reign for improv lines and to write his own song numbers.

4. They must acknowledge the roots. This can’t be a prepackaged plastic remake. They have to remember Labyrinth played subtle homage to several fantasy stories that came before it. These must be remembered.

5. All of Jareth’s original powers (including becoming a Barn owl) need to remain in tact. There are rabid Labyrinth fans who had trouble accepting that in Return to Labyrinth (manga) the stepmother was named Irene instead of Linda because the fanon had been so thoroughly accepted as fact people mistakenly thought Linda was the official name of the stepmother from the novelization. It was not. Taking away Jareth’s ability to become a barn owl would be like revoking Dracula’s shapeshifting and look how well that turned out. (Cough) NBC’s Dracula (cough).

17. Chayne says:

How dare they!!! I predict a MAJOR flop as well as fans of Bowie avoiding the theatre out of protest!!!

18. Matthew says:

Labyrinth without David Bowie, Jennifer Conelly and with probably tons of CGI? Yeah, no thanks

19. :D says:

I LOOOVEEEEEEE THIS MOVIE!!!!! :D :D So jealous of you Nicole Perlman. So jealous right now…. BUt you deserve it & are gonna do such a great job & so am so happy 4 u & congrats!!! :D

That said, Justin Timberlake for the Goblin King. The dance moves he’d bring to that… I can’t even!!! <3

#gosony! :D

20. Theresa Stevens says:

If Mr. Henson isn’t already turning in his grave over the reboot of Muppet show, then he should be now. And sadly Mr . Bowie as well. As was previously commented on, Mr. Bowie has been gone a scant two weeks and they announce this travesty. I grew up with the original and love it. This reboot will be garbage like all the others. I’ll have nothing to do with it. R.I.P David Bowie. The ONLY King Jareth!

21. mstrainjr says:

David Bowie’s been dead two weeks and already they want to remake Labyrinth? How can they possibly do so and capture the magic of the original. It’s a bad idea and shows you how desperate Sony is.

• Ima Right says:

LEMMY FROM MOTORHEAD JUST DIED. ARE THEY GOING TO REMAKE MOTORHEAD TOO?
      I KNOW THEY WERE THE GREATEST HARD ROCK METAL BAND EVER BUT IT’S SUCH A
      BAD IDEA I FIGURE SOME MORON IN HOLLYWEIRD AND MUSIC HEAD WOULD THINK OF IT.

22. Jim says:

Has Sony ever met a property they didn’t want to reboot? The clowns running that studio don’t have an ounce of creativity or originality between them.

23. Kev Quaid says:

The best news is Nicole Perlman being attached. I know her draft will be great. Can’t wait!

24. Summer says:

I think we can all agree that Kanye West and Raven-Symone are the best choices to step into Bowie and Connelly’s shoes, right?

Right?

(Totally kidding, please don’t kill me.)

25. cadavra says:

Let me guess: Seth Rogen will play the Goblin King.