Chris Rock Slams Jada Pinkett Smith in Oscar Monologue

Oscars 2016 Review Chris Rock
Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP

In Chris Rock’s opening monologue at the 88th Academy Awards, the host focused on the lack of diversity in the Oscar nominations. Rock touched on the fact that many actors, including Jada Pinkett Smith, said they were boycotting the awards.

“Jada got mad, said she’s not coming. Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited,” Rock said.

He continued, “You get mad. It’s not fair that Will was this good and didn’t get nominated. It’s also not fair that Will was paid $20 million for ‘Wild Wild West.’ This year at the Oscars, things are going to be a little different. In the ‘in memoriam’ package it’s just going to be black people who were shot by the cops on their way to the movies. Yes, I said it, all right?”

Related

Oscars Academy Awards Placeholder

Oscars 2016: Full Winners List (Live Updates)

Pinkett Smith announced she was boycotting the Oscars in January. In a video posted to Facebook, Pinkett Smith said she would not even watch the awards show on television.

“I ask the question: Have we now come to a new time and place where we recognize that we could no longer beg for the love, acknowledgement or respect of any group?” Pinkett Smith said in her video post.

“The Academy has the right to acknowledge whoever they choose,” she went on. “To invite whoever they choose. And now I think that it’s our responsibility now to make the change. Maybe it is time we pull back our resources and we put them back into our communities.”

1. Sharon says:

This world’s society makes me sick. God is the one that makes the decisions and puts each and everyone in their rightfully deserved place, look at America & the white house with Obama, who would of thought it?
    Black/white? Nonsense!!!

2. Milton says:

The joke was terrible but he made a good point. How can you boycott something you weren’t invited to? And Will Smith didn’t deserve an Oscar nomination. He couldn’t hold his accent in “Concussion.” It was all over the place.

3. Kat Korn says:

Maybe we should just change the name of the Academy Awards to WET because the BET only honors blacks, no whites invited. Fair is fair

• Milton says:

Because kat Korn, since TV was invented, practically every TV network ever made has been WET. I don’t like BET at all, but I completely understand why it exists.

• ANONYMOUS says:

Milton your wrong! If every TV network was or has been WET….then why did ABC/Fox/WB air Fresh Prince of Bel Air twenty years ago??? It was originally aired and funded by a major television network NOT B.E.T. …B.E.T. was already around when Fresh Prince started!!

• Idalis says:

Comments like this is how so much time gets wasted dealing with nonsense – where do you get that whites aren’t invited or honored on BET? Are you saying there shouldn’t be a Korean cable channel because its for Koreans? Its about diversity period, and black actors are not the only minority group in America. Movies made without other ethnicities in ANY role offer a myopic, unrealistic view of life. Conversely, just because a minority is cast in the starring role doesn’t make it a great movie or performance. Jada’s comments in my opinion were self-serving because until Will was slighted for Concussion, she’s photographed at every event, on every other red carpet having a glorious time not being honored!

• ANONYMOUS says:

Put a white actor in the role of Concussion …the movie still sucks and Will Smith needs to get over After Earth, Focus … he has had bad movies…Will get over it .. Mark Walberg made two bad movies…Entourage Max Paine …Johnny Depp has made two big box office flops …and their Oscar Nominated actors did they play the race card or celebrity card to get attention?? NOPE.

4. No I did not see any of the movies which the actor were nominated for nor did I see the movie Will smith was in . What I did see were the the previews for the winners film and smiths film. Based on that alone I would not see either movie. I will say from what I did see, will smith move sucked a little bit more then the winners film. His accent was off putting. So No from the info I had no smith did not desrve the Oscar nod.

5. Rose McDonald says:

Does Jada Pinkett Smith want black actors to get Oscars because they turned in outstanding performance, or because they’re black? Yes, the absence of black actors in the nominees for Academy Awards is disturbing, The members of the Academy will have to ask themselves why and provide answers the public can or will find believable.
    I haven’t seen Will Smith’s latest movie, yet, but I haven’t seen the Revenant either.The skin color of an actor isn’t what I base my decision of which movie I’ll see on.. Should it be one of the criteria used in determining nominees and/or winners? If it is wouldn’t that be just another thinly veiled example of tokenism? Finally, if Will Smith had been nominated for an Oscar, would we have heard anything from Jada Pinkett-Smith about the lack of diversity?

6. wishinwell says:

Watching some of Oscar’s, channel surfing, diversity is not just about black and white but about Latinos, Chinese, Indian as in native American, and other ethnicity and races, America is a diverse place, movies should reflect that.

7. Al Sanchez says:

Jada says, give back to our communities and pull back??? You’ve got to be kidding, sista!!! Your communities need a tidal wave to clean it up!! Kind of like Noah and the Ark. . . . .

• chitownlady57 says:

AMEN! I’m here in Chicago where they’re screaming the same thing. All the while, it’s their black kids pulling the damn triggers……Go figure!

8. bsbarnes says:

Chris Rock mentions Kevin Hart seven times, but does Idris Elba get a single shout out? Why talk about Jamie Foxx in RAY and not point out this was a movie where Paul Giamatti (before 12 Years A Slave) was swindled by a blind man: now that’s range Straight Outta Compton, baby.