Nicolas Cage Fends Off Sharks in ‘USS Indianapolis’ First Trailer (EXCLUSIVE)

Nicolas Cage fends off sharks in the the first official trailer for his World War II disaster movie “USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage,” released exclusively to Variety.

Cage stars as Capt. Charles Butler McVay, whose ship was torpedoed in the South Pacific in July of 1945, after delivering parts for the first atomic bombs. “President Truman has selected you to lead a highly classified mission,” Cage is told.

Because the ship was without an escort, the Indianapolis was not reported missing until four days later. Of 1,197 crewmen aboard, approximately 300 went down with the ship, while the rest faced exposure, dehydration, saltwater poisoning and shark attacks as they waited for assistance. Only 317 sailors survived, and McVay was court-martialed, then exonerated more than half a century later.

The trailer, released by Hannibal Classics and Patriot Pictures, shows several shark attacks during those five days and the subsequent court martial.

Mario Van Peebles directed from a script by Cam Cannon and Hannibal Classics principal Richard Rionda Del Castro.

1. Daniel P. Hanover says:

When actor and writer Robert Shaw’s character “Quint” told the story of the U.S.S. Indianapolis in the movie “JAWS”, that dialogue was not in the script, and Robert Shaw wrote it himself and insisted it be included in the movie.

2. Yang says:

This should have been a film for the Memorial Day weekend!

3. Jaime says:

One of the best trailers I’ve seen in awhile. This looks like a really great film!!

• Carol Civitarese says:

Very good trailer! I will relive the horror my father felt while watching. George Laws was one of the USS Indianapolis Survivors. As a survivor’s daughter, I know this will be a very emotional movie for me to watch, but would not miss it. This is a tribute to honor his memory and all of the other fellow shipmates of the USS Indianapolis.

• Paulette Lebow Glenn says:

My uncle, Cleatus Lebow, was also a USS Indianapolis Survivor. He was recently honored by throwing out the first ball at a Texas Rangers baseball game. He is 92 years young.

Our family will be watching for this movie to come out.

4. Bill says:

This trailer looks great!! The FX look amazing and love seeing Nick Cage play a roll like this. WWII films are my favorite, so I can’t wait to see this film!!

5. Coach Bobby Finstock says:

I think this looks FANTASTIC! Just looked it up on IMDB and the young cast they assembled is amazing. Matt Lanter — grandson of a survivor! — Craig Tate (12 Years a Slave), Jose Julian (A Better Life) — future stars! Good to see Sizemore again, too. And Cage looks great. I can’t wait to see this!

6. James says:

The CG in this trailer is super rough. Check out the shot of the Enola Gay at the 36 second mark, looks like bad video game graphics.

• Christopher says:

The trailer probably was released with rough CGI because of a deadline. That isn’t uncommon. They usually have more work to do in post production. I really hate that they (like so many other trailers) show the whole storyline all the way through to the trial. That’s absurd. I know it’s a true story and people can read a history book to see what happened, but most movie goers wouldn’t. If I cut this trailer I might have shown the trial at the very beginning asking how he pleads,. Then I would have shown the part about having no escort. Then I would have shown the torpedo. I would have shown them in the water and then shown the sharks swimming. Trailer ends. Just enough to get interest, not enough to ruin a whole story. Robert Shaw’s speech about it in Jaws is a better trailer than this.

7. james says:

I worked on the set of this movie in Orange Beach. Cage was a class act and very professional. This should be a good flick.

8. Joella Alvarado says:

My Uncle was one of the survivors! Our family is very proud of our hero and all the crew of the USS Indianapolis!!

9. Adam says:

Another Nick Cage film? I guess he’s still paying back Uncle Sam.

• John says:

Nic Cage went bankrupt few years back, he’s trying to make as many movies as possible to pay off all the debt. I gave the guy credit because at least he’s working hard to get back on his feet. His stock might not carry the same prestige it once did in the ’90’s, but his work ethic is still well disciplined. Compared to a lot of other actors that had fallen on hard times but never recovered, Nic Cage just quietly went about his own business, continued to be a working actor.