Tom Cruise’s ‘Mummy’ Reboot Casts Annabelle Wallis

Annabelle Wallis
David Fisher/REX/Shutterstock

Annabelle Wallis is in talks for the female lead in Universal’s “The Mummy,” starring Tom Cruise, sources tell Variety.

Wallis will play an archaeologist in the film. Sofia Boutella, meanwhile, is on board to play the iconic monster.

The film is set to bow on June 9, 2017.

The studio tapped Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan last summer to help develop a monster universe for Universal with rebooted versions of classic monster movies. Kurtzman is also on board to direct, and will produce alongside Morgan and Sean Daniel.

Jon Spaihts is penning the script. Plot details are vague other than the fact that the pic will be set in the present day, unlike the previous three installments starring Brendan Fraser.

Universal executive VP of production Jon Mone and VP of development Jay Polidoro will oversee the project for the studio.

Wallis is best known for her work in Steven Knight’s “Peaky Blinders.” She also starred in the 2014 horror pic “Annabelle” and the comedy “Brothers Grimsby.” Wallis will play Maid Maggie in Guy Ritchie’s upcoming King Arthur movie — set for release in 2017. She also recently wrapped Zack Whedon’s thriller “Come and Find Me” opposite Aaron Paul.

She is repped by UTA, United Agents and Untitled Entertainment.

1. Snerdguy says:

I hope they aren’t going to remake the same story line. If they want to continue it with some new ideas, that’s fine although I think it may end up being just another special effects display without much content.

2. E says:

When I heard that there was going to be a reboot of “The Mummy,” I was excited. I remember watching the classic 1932 monster film and the later movies with Brendan Fraser. Then I heard Tom Cruise was going to be in this movie and just became disappointed that so much money will be wasted on this film. Casting Annabelle Wallis…Sure, if she’s playing his daughter. Or perhaps a former archaeology student of his. I’ve had enough of Hollywood pairing aging male actors with much younger woman as romantic interests. If you want to cast an older actor for the male lead, that’s fine so long as the actress for the female lead doesn’t look like she could be his daughter.

There are plenty of beautiful and talented actresses over the age of 40. It’s a pretty sad testament to the ageism and sexism in Hollywood that a pattern has developed within interviews for actors to discuss how to approach a role as an actor when the actress playing his love interest is young enough to be his daughter. Don’t believe me? Christian Bale in “American Hustle” and Daniel Craig in “Casino Royale” to name just a couple. There are probably more but such casting frustrates my inner feminist and I now avoid movies that perpetuate this cycle of problematic casting in Hollywood.

• jake from state farm says:

yeah cause in real life you NEVER see young women dating or married to older men. get out of here with that garbage.

3. Allison says:

Another fifty year old man paired with a thirty year old woman.

4. Je vizzusi says:

This reboot sounds like a disaster in the making. I would love to see Uni go back to their past monster moviemaking strengths by remaking of that original time period 1930s, very dark, very pre Noir! The scene where the archeologist goes mad after witnessing The Mummy (Boris Karloff) is one of the most frightening moments recorded on film! Its scarier than anything contemporary they have tried.

5. Kothar of Khodar says:

Xenu likes this Blonde too! You have done well finding Tom-Tom ah new Love Interest! Betware the Thetans that make you fat and look bad! I bet my life on Psychiatry because I know $cientology is a pseudo-science!!! If I’m going to spend Billions of O’Dollars aka O’Bama Muny. iT WILL BE ON THAT! NOT SUM CHEAP SPACE OPERA CREATED BY EL RON HUBBARD!

6. Jinjeon says:

She could be his daughter and yet she’s playing his love interest! Gotta love sexist and ageist Hollywood!