Meryl Streep Joins Emily Blunt in ‘Mary Poppins’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)

Meryl Streep
REX/Shutterstock

Is Meryl Streep ready for a spoonful of sugar?

Sources tell Variety, the Oscar-winning actress is in talks to join Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel-Miranda in Disney’s “Mary Poppins Returns.”

If a deal closes, the family film would reunite Streep with the “Into the Woods” musical team of Blunt, director Rob Marshall, and producers Marc Platt and John DeLuca. Streep and Blunt also shared the screen in “The Devil Wears Prada.” Marshall and John De Luca are also producing.

Streep is said to play the role of Poppins’ cousin, Topsy, a supporting role that wasn’t in the 1964 classic. Streep would also sing for the part, much like she did in “Into the Woods,” which earned her a record 19th Oscar nomination.

The Mary Poppins sequel hits theaters Dec. 25, 2018.

Related

The Devil Wears Prada

‘The Devil Wears Prada’ Turns 10: Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Tell All

David Magee wrote the screenplay, based on the stories by P.L. Travers, with Marc Shaiman composing an all-new score and writing originals songs with Emmy nominee and Tony-winner Scott Wittman.

Blunt stars as the title character in the film with Manuel-Miranda, star of the Broadway smash “Hamilton,” playing another new character, a street lamplighter named Jack. Drawing from the wealth of material in P.L. Travers’ seven Mary Poppins novels, the story will take place in Depression-era London (when the books were originally written) and follows a now-grown Jane and Michael Banks, who, along with Michael’s three children, are visited by the enigmatic Mary Poppins following a personal loss. Through her unique magical skills, and with the aid of her friend Jack, she helps the family rediscover the joy and wonder missing in their lives.

Streep, who appeared at the Democratic Convention this week, can be seen next in the Paramount pic “Florence Foster Jenkins” which bows on Aug. 12. She is repped by CAA.

1. maryangeladouglas says:

If I were Disney but of course I’m not though I love everything Walt Disney ever produced, I would not give the role of chalk painting in Mary Poppins Returns to Meryl Streep gifted actress though she is after her very public and very rude comments about Walt Disney in 2014 at the Oscars, also appearing to me to be trying to upstage her friend, Emma Thompson. I just don’t get it.

• maryangeladouglas says:

On the other hand, it would be really fun to see how Meryl Streep would find a way to portray a chalk painting; if anyone could do it, she could and besides that I am not a perfectly perfect in every way person like Mary Poppins either. I just felt hurt because Walt Disney was being kind of ganged up on by so many of the gliterrati and I was shocked that she took part in that, when he had and has continued to bring happiness to so many people of every tribe and nation overall. God bless them both and may we will be accounted for in Heaven by our best and not our worst works is my hope.

2. gabe says:

into the woods vibe

3. IT--II--IT says:

INTEL RUN reality creation continues to remix and re–eat its own vomit.

Understand, while Hollywood was –ALWAYS– 100% INTEL RUN,
    by 1970 it had become utterly of a piece with the globalist mafia CIA.

You know, on the eve of RED CHINA handover kickoff.

Hence, everyone but everyone but everyone allowed, much less promoted
    before the public are INTEL RUN – –are ‘change AGENTS’.

It’s called INTER–generational TREASON.

IT’s TAKEN US – —to HELL

4. Waretare2000 says:

Meryl Streep is an absolute complete hippocratic. She complained bitterly about Walt Disney in several speeches… especially around Mr. Banks. Clearly that was a business plan to get her hired. Unfortunately it worked, and it shows how actresses get jobs these days.

Meryl Streep is a net negative. All my friends plus myself would never watch a movie with her. She’s more interested in outdated causes then true work. Plus she’s completely overrated.

Boo on Meryl but mostly boo on Disney placating a out-of-her-mind star of yester-year.

• me says:

They could make a movie just out of the misspellings, non-existent words, and just plain goofiness of this post (“net negative”? “my friends plus myself”? “a out of her mind star”? “yester-year”?).

I say they could get Meryl Streep to play you.

• EricJ says:

Unless she’s been studying medicine, think you mean “Hypocrite”, and it did get her fired from “Cruella de Ville”.
      Even so, what was the episode where she had her little rant rattling off every overexposed urban-legend anti-Disney cliche’ except for the one about Aladdin telling kids tot take off their clothes? I kept thinking it was from the Golden Globes, where most stars get a little…outspoken after a few drinks, but I’m told it wasn’t that one.

• Big Fan says:

“Yester-year”? Nahhh. She’s still gettin’ it done.

5. EricJ says:

Well, Meryl, welcome back to our happy family of sexist racists
    (I guess we found out by now it was Louis PRIMA who sang that song in the Jungle Book? Don’t worry, everybody makes that goofy mistake.)