Leonardo DiCaprio Uses Oscar Speech to Speak Out on Climate Change

Leonardo DiCaprio Oscars 2016
Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP

While Leonardo Dicaprio took home his first Oscar Sunday at the 88th annual Academy Awards, he used his speech to discuss climate change, emphasizing that he saw the direct results of the changing planet while filming “The Revenant.”

“Making ‘The Revenant’ was about man’s relationship to the natural world, the world that we collectively felt in 2015 as the hottest year in reported history — our production needed to move to the southern tip of this planet just to be able to find snow,” DiCaprio said. “Climate change is real. It is happening right now. It’s the most urgent threat facing our entire species and we need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating.”

Dicaprio continued, “We need to support leaders around the world who do not speak for the big polluters, but who speak for all of humanity, for the indigenous people of the world, for the billions and billions of underprivileged people out there who would be most affected by this. For our children’s children, and for those people out there whose voices have been drowned out by the politics of greed. I thank you all for this amazing award tonight. Let us not take this planet for granted. I do not take tonight for granted.”

Related

Oscars Academy Awards Placeholder

Oscar Winners 2016: Complete List

An environmentalist, the actor often uses social media as a platform to inform others about the planet’s issues, often retweeting President Obama, Wold Wildlife Fund and Greenpeace and sharing relevant articles on his Facebook page. Earlier this month, Dicaprio received the Crystal Award, which recognizes the achievements of leading artists who have shown commitment to improving the state of the world, at the World Economic Forum.

DiCaprio wasn’t the only winner to speak out about climate change. Jenny Beavan, who won best costume design for “Mad Max: Fury Road,” also took the opportunity to talk about the environment.

“I just want to say one quite serious thing, I’ve been thinking about this a lot, but actually it could be horribly prophetic, ‘Mad Max,’ if we’re not kinder to each other, and if we don’t stop polluting our atmosphere, so you know, it could happen,” Beavan said.

1. JJGroves says:

Got to give the guy credit “dumb as a box of rocks” and look at how much money he makes. If I got spiffed millions by Fascist Globalist Megalomaniacs I would say the moon was made of cream cheese too. Hats off Little Doodie.

2. Stephen Real says:

Good on ya’ Leo.

One for the good guys. now onto Hollywood politics:

Will Smith could run and win the Governorship of California from there he can take the White House. Will Smith out of all of Hollywood has the clearest path to the White House. We had a great discussion on his path to the White House. He was roundly poo poo-ed by his detractors but the path was clear to all.

3. Kevin Baker says:

I love how the Hollywood elite preach global warming….I mean climate change…..from the comfort of their private jets, yachts and many houses almost as much as how the sheep of society believe all their holier than though lies because they have no lives of their own.

• Jon says:

Thank you, Kevin Baker! Climate change is real…For the average American people, not the super rich or elite. They’re not supposed to lead by example or make any sacrifices…Just us commoners are.

4. Anna Maria says:

Leo’s acceptance speech was a very inspiring and motivational tribute to our planet, and personally, I think the best part was that he backs up what he said with his own actions. His many donations to environmental charities, and his recent partnership with Netflix to make documentaries regarding climate change. Leo is a very passionate person and it shows in his communication style, which could be referred to as an “ethic of care” communication style. According to Johannsen in his book Ethics in Human Communication,
    “An ethic of care characterizes the female moral voice it is rooted in the primacy of actual relationships and interdependence of self and others. Compassion, empathy, and nurturance help resolve conflicting ethical responsibility to all concerned, including the self. The ethic of care considers the needs of both self and others, not just the survival of one’s self and not just the avoidance of hurting others.”
    This is a perfect example of Leo’s speech, he was compassionate, he was trying to motivate helping more than just himself, and he was encouraging all of us to work together.
    AnnaMaria
    Drury University
    Johannesen, R. (2008). Ethics in human communication (6th ed.). Prospect Heights, Ill.: Waveland Press.

5. sanman$ says:

I’m Paul Brno and I never got rich working as a garbage man. I got a couple of thousand dollars in the bank to show for all the pain and suffering I went through.. Leo is worth 290 million. He makes twenty million working less than a year on a movie. My best year picking up garbage working on Sundays and Holidays and overtime in the rain and snow i made twenty-two thousand before taxes. It was a dangerous job. I used to say, ‘I’m just doing this until I win the lottery. But I never did. But Sergio Martini did. He won 10.3 million playing Power ball in January, 1996. He kept working for a year and a half and looked for Marlboro miles in the garbage. He used to bring his garbage from his home in Brewster and throw it in the back of a garbage truck to avoid paying A $25.00 fee.

6. sanman$ says:

I’ve been a mostly unemployed actor all of my life. I had to work as a doorman, waiter and finally as a garbage man for 24 years. And every day I’d ask myself, ‘isn’t there something else I’d rather be doing besides picking up garbage like starring in a movie or a TV show?’ I retired in 2014 at age 69. I worked with crazy people and morons. I wrote a play about it called “The Sanitation Chronicles.” And now I’m trying to turn it into a screenplay/movie starring me. Because it’s never too late to be what you might have been.

• What does what you said have to do with anything? Leo starring in a movie puts hundreds of people to work and he makes exactly what the public is willing to pay him by going to see his movies. Your work is your choice. Its an admiral job and you probably do deserve to make more money, but a anecdotal story of a guy staying at his job after he wins the lottery doesn’t have any moral to it. Its just that; a story.

• sanman$ says:

I never wanted to be a garbage man. It was all my father’s idea. He kept sending me these damn test forms, the bus driver’s test, the token booth test, I used to rip them up and throw them away. I failed the policeman’s test on purpose when I was eighteen because I wanted to be an actor. But he never let up. Finally I took the written and physical part of the sanitation test but I failed the piss test on purpose by taking half a valium. My father had a fit, ‘this is your last chance to get a job with the city!’ So I got a letter from a doctor saying I took the pill by mistake and they hired me. I hated the job. And I hated my father for making me a garbage man. A sanitation forman said it would get better. Just picking up garbage. You do your twenty years and then you retire. And after 24 years the guys I worked with were still morons and crazy people but now they were kind of like my famile because I just got used to them.

7. Fariha says:

Praise to you Leonardo. You deserved several oscars before as well. I wish you could change the mindset of the greedy and exploitative politicians and corporates. But I am happy you finally got the oscar. Honestly speaking to the viewers, all that matters is your superbest acting that you do in every film of yours, but on your part, it’s natural that you would like to receive this kind of recognition, the oscar award. Keep shining always.

8. I loved The Revenant, a very exciting and intense movie based on a true story. However, being lectured by a high school dropout on the biggest science scam ever perpetrated has given me pause.
    Aside from the hypocrisy of Lenny’s never – ending flitting around the globe in private jets, his lavish vacations on mega-yachts, and his multiple extravagant mega-mansions, I am curious as to how many bazillions of tons of carbon-footprints are involved in the making of a movie like The Revenant, especially if they had to move the production so far to complete it in snow. And how many more bazillions of tons of carbon-footprints are expended by people driving to the theater complexes to see the movie, and to make the popcorn in the lobby? An Anthropogenic Global Warming champion like Lenny should be advocating that the movies could all be placed on the Internet for folks to watch, and that their PCs could all be solar powered, and that people gather acorns for their movie watching snacks.
    Perhaps instead of traipsing all over the globe making live-action movies, Lenny could devote himself to animated features and CGI films which can be made in a studio, and then put on the Internet to avoid all the folks driving to the movie theaters. And the Oscars could all be animated and CGI as well, saving tons and tons of carbon emissions from the Hollywood dipshidiots arriving in their limos.

9. Tex Crockett says:

Global warning is a scam. Yeah sure I’ll sell you some carbon credits so you can jet set around.
    What a joke – getting preached to by a spoiled brat movie star.
    If he feels so damn guilty about carbon exhaust, he should shut his pie-hole.

• You have valid points about preaching global warming while having a huge carbon footprint but your first statement about climate change being a scam is dangerous. The climate is changing and to insinuate manmade pollution doesn’t contribute is basically saying that you could pour 1,000 gallons of crude oil into a small pond and it will have zero effect on the pond and it’s inhabitants.The world is just one giant pond and how we interact with it does matter. Even if man is only responsible for 25% of the changing climate wouldn’t that be enough to want to lower that number to 10% or 5%? Lastly lets say global warming is a giant hoax I think we can all agree the worlds ice is melting at a rapid rate and the ocean is rising. Are we just supposed to let the Maldives sink under the waves? Should we just stand by while half of Florida disappears? Climate denying is funded by fossil fuels, thats not a theory; its a fact. Why are you siding with them? Do you think they have your best interest at heart, your childrens best interest? Think about who truly benefits from keeping the status quo going indefinitely. I’m going to to say you and you’re family are not at the top of that list.

• Joseph Argenio says:

Hmm, you are an angry idiot, If your don’t want to listen to scientists, then stop driving and using electricity. A person’s lifestyle has nothing to do with action on Climate Change, which must be collective. That’s why they call it GLOBAL warming. Hello?

10. Chris says:

Let’s set the record straight: Filming was planned to end in March, which already would have been tricky in Southern Alberta given the Chinook winds (Note to Leonardo: These are warm winds that move over the Rockies during the winter, warming things up for days or sometimes more than a week. Chinooks were named by local First Nations people, so that should give you an idea about how long they have been occurring). After the Chinook blew through the Kananaskis Valley, temperatures returned to below zero, which should have been a clue that the previous weather was not global warming but the Chinook winds wreaking havoc with the filming. Add to that the fact that filming went well over the March timeline and was pushed to end in August (this was tied to the Director’s wish to have a certain type of daylight for each day’s filming). Clearly snow is gone by the spring and certainly wouldn’t last through the summer, so this is why the team had to move to the southern most tip of Argentina (near Antarctica). That inconvenience had nothing to do with global warming.
    Kananaskis historical temps Jan to Mar 2015 :
    Max Temp: 19.4 °C
    Max Temp. Date: Mar.27 2015
    Min temp: -28.7 °C
    Min Temp. Date: Mar.3 2015

11. Dave Longen says:

He makes his money by dragging cameras, light, dollies, cranes and a hundred people to remote locations; powering everything by gasoline generators; then flying to the Oscars in a private jet so he can wag a finger at all of us for our carbon use. What an imbecile. Topped only by the other private jet liberals who applauded him.

12. Alexander Weaver says:

The only reason he came up with a climate change speech is because he wasn’t expecting to win an oscar. At least he won that before the Eagles won a ring.

13. NormCBS says:

DiCaprio is a fine actor, but he’s also an ignorant, as is most of the Hollywood crowd. The most dangerous threat to this country are Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, along with what’s bubbling underneath the earth and what might hit us from space knocking out earth from its natural orbit around the sun. Neither Barack Obama nor Hillary Clinton nor Al Gore knows a differential equation from a crankshaft and they going around warning us about global warming?!

14. Mel says:

I will support politicians who advocate addressing climate change when wealthy, wasteful Hollywood actors live in houses with smaller carbon footprints, and when they stop traveling around the world burning fossil fuels.

15. Ezer Album says:

Couldn’t figure it out, was the film about “climate change”, or skin color?

16. Jack Johnson says:

Immediately followed by Leo flying off in his private jet.