Kim Basinger to Play Christian Grey’s Former Lover in ‘Fifty Shades Darker’ (EXCLUSIVE)

'Fifty Shades': Kim Basinger Joins 'Darker'

Universal has now locked in its first new cast member to join its highly successful “Fifty Shades of Grey” franchise, with production set to start this spring.

Kim Basinger is set to play the key role of Elena Lincoln, Christian Grey’s Business partner and former lover in E.L James’ “Fifty Shades Darker,” sources tell Variety.

Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan are returning to reprise their roles of Anastasia Steele and Grey, respectively, with James Foley taking over directing reins.

Luke Grimes, Eloise Mumford and Max Martini are also returning to the cast, with Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti producing along with James and Marcus Viscidi. Niall Leonard and James are penning the script.

The character of Lincoln was hinted at in the first installment, setting the stage for a big reveal in the second.

Universal is planning to shoot “Fifty Shades Darker” and the final pic, “Fifty Shades Freed,” back-to-back, so it was important to lock down cast before production began on the sequel.

The Academy Award winner can be seen next in Warner Bros.’ “Nice Guys” opposite Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe. She is repped by APA, Management Production Entertainment and Bloom Hergott.

1. Alisa says:

I love the movie. I love the books! Casting is great. But… When I saw who they were considering, Angelina Jolie is a maneater so I thought she’s got this. And Michelle Phieffer in the previews looks HOT! Kim Bassinger.. Hmm… Not who I would’ve thought to get the role but here’s hoping for an awesome part two to 50 shades 😄

• I think Angelina Jolie would great but think of how much she would need to be paid.. I like Michelle Phieffer and Kim Bassinger.. either of those two would be great. Can’t wait to see the next installment.

2. LadyM700@shaw.ca says:

I am so disappointed… I thought Michelle Pfeiffer would have been perfect!

3. Jat says:

Great choice!

4. lulu says:

Two words: 91/2 Weeks. She knows what sex on screen means.

5. lulu says:

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!!! VICKI VALE IS BACK ON SCREEN IN A HUGE WAY!!!! GREAT PICK!! CAN’T WAIT TO SEE KIM IN ACTION!! TALK ABOUT SEXY!!! OMG! I’M SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS! YES! YES! YES! MRS. ROBINSON!!!

6. Kate W. says:

The directing REIGNS? It’s “reins,” as in the things attached to a horse’s bridle/bit to control it. Embarrassing editor fail for such a publication.

7. Ann Miller says:

Got it right with Kim Basinger ! Got the leads all wrong ! Should have been Alexis Bledel & Matt Czuchy They have great chemistry …did not feel it w/Dakota Johnson & Jamie Dornan …in fact they seemed not to even like each other ! Very disappointing after all the anticipation !

8. larienanarion says:

kim basinger is good, but i would have preferred michelle pfeiffer.

9. Debby says:

Please STOP calling her his lover. She was NEVER his lover. She was his DOM / Pedifile

10. Moni says:

I think she’s perfect for the role she has the sexy older lady vibe going for her. Now I loved the first movie but I felt like they could’ve done a better job casting Christian. His hair wasn’t long enough, eyes were not grey, although Jamie is cute he’s not gorgeous (like Christian was described in the book).

11. FSOG Fan says:

I think she’s a great choice. The casting in this film has been spot on. I’m dying for the remaining cast members to be revealed.

12. Fangirl says:

Seems like a good choice. The first thing I instinctively did when I saw this article was that I imagined her !SPOILER! with Papa Grey’s lemon drop Martini thrown in her face.

13. yuck — terrible choice | get someone relevant/an unknown/drop the nepotism

14. Doreen Burr says:

OMG!!! awesome!!! Kim Basinger is purrrrrfect!!! I am so excited!!! I so loved the first movie and I am sure I will love the new one!!!

15. And Kim what are they gonna do color her hair? considering he only dates Brunettes…Hmmmm dont like it, then again I dont like the man who play’s Christian either :(

16. JAMIE SUCKS AT CHRISTIAN NOT EVEN HIS HAIR IS SIMILAR ……..CRAP MOVIE TERRIBLE CASTING WILL NOT PUT MY SELF THROUGH THE TORTURE OF ANOTHER MOVIE , im sticking to the books ……………..

• Fangirl says:

It’s not like you’re forced to do it so quit whining. Don’t like don’t read. Jamie is the perfect Mr. Grey by the way.

17. Donna says:

Well, I never would have even considered her but why not! I bet she could pull it off! So far casting has been pretty good. Although Jammie is a cutie, he is the only one that has been a bit off the mark. I was imagining a much more tall, masculine, muscular sex God. Not the boy next door. After all is he not supposed to be a master…

18. hey get over it , its just acting , you can be liked or not liked just for being yourself, why does evryone take it so serious if you were actor or actress i bet your view would be different ,

19. 85wzen says:

50 shades of stupider would be a better title… what unadulterated trash! I saw like 10 minutes of that first one… sucked!

20. Pam says:

Perfect casting!!! Can’t wait for the next one. Kim Bassinger is perfect for this part.

21. mary says:

She’s much too old.
    LOL How the mighty fall.

22. Thank god they are not splitting the last book into 2 movies, lets get this shit show over with already.

23. LVMedia says:

Bassinger is way too old for this role. Supposed to be in her mid 30’s. That’s a stretch!

24. jerry says:

They are actually making a sequel to this crapfest?

• Fangirl says:

Yes, but only to piss idiotic haters like you off even more so you cry and disappear back to your mommy’s basement where you’ve come from.

• Daph says:

Fangirl ur obviously obsessed with the the book and the film that you won’t let anybody else have a negative viewpoint without you having a go at them. As u say nobody forced anyone to watch the film, but they do have a right to comment on it without you trashing what every negative comment is written. Calm down, I too think Kim will bring something to the film