Kate Winslet to Star in Woody Allen’s Next Film (EXCLUSIVE)

Kate Winslet
Andrew H Walker/WWD/REX/Shutterstock

Woody Allen’s latest film, “Cafe Society,” hasn’t hit theaters yet, but the filmmaker is already moving on to his next project.

Sources tell Variety that Kate Winslet is in final negotiations to star in Allen’s next movie, which will shoot this fall.

Allen is writing, directing and producing the untitled pic, and like all his recent films, plot details are being heavily guarded.

As usual, Letty Aronson and Edward Walson will produce. The film hasn’t found a distributor yet, although Amazon seems to be a likely destination, given Allen’s recent relationship with the studio.

Though Winslet’s career has spanned more than two decades, the actress has never worked with the auteur prior to this pic.

Winslet is coming off her Oscar-nominated role in “Steve Jobs” and was also recently seen in Open Road’s crime drama “Triple Nine.” She just wrapped production on New Line’s “Collateral Beauty” opposite Will Smith and recently boarded the Fox drama “The Mountain Between Us,” co-starring Idris Elba.

She is repped by CAA and United Agents.

Allen’s “Cafe Society,” starring Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart, bowed at the Cannes Film Festival and opens in theaters on July 16.

1. Lisa says:

Why? She’s not desperate for roles. She doesn’t need the paycheck that badly. I can see an up and rising star falling for this but not a seasoned actress of her calibre. Is it that she ‘couldn’t refuse’? Why is everyone so damn afraid of not working? That’s how rapist and pedophiles in this business control people – with fear. Then we wonder why certain minorities and women can’t get a head. We think we’re fearless, but we full of fear.
    I hope she pulls out of this one. Can’t believe it.

• Mi says:

Well written, she is desperate it seems and without shame. This is what women doing for themselves : support these ones who hurt other women and at the same time they are surprised why rapists, molesters are still strong and in control.

• Lisa says:

*’but we’re full of fear’, I meant.
      They say psychopaths or socio paths (Take your pick, they both lack a conscience) are very charming. Yes, they can be funny. They can get people to do things for them and side with them even when their crimes are blatantly obvious for everyone to see. Look at OJ Simpson – everyone knew he did it But he convinced us he didn’t. We forget about the victims.
      By the off chance you’re reading this Kate W, DON’T DO IT!

2. Mi says:

She should be ashamed of herself. Another ”feminist” that speaks about women rights and at the same time works with a child molester.

3. Bill B. says:

There are few directors that bring out more in actors, so I am really very interested in what the results of an Allen/Winslet film will be. Many of his more recent films have been mild by his standards, but the acting is always outstanding. No wonder just about every actor wants to work with him.

• Lisa says:

That’s quite a broad and generalized comment ‘No wonder just about every actor wants to work…..with him’. Don’t you think?

4. Jo Mama says:

When is it ever going to be enough? Not only are the films trash, but they all just have a celeb or two escorting the audience through a rich man’s version of Europe while making stupid jokes. That Europe is long gone, and I wish films would just stop taking slow walks through Paris and Prague like we give a shit (just avoid the Muslim communities police treat as a no go zone). Oh, and he’s a vile pig also.

5. stu freeman says:

The Woodman should take a year off. His recent movies have been something less than inspired and I haven’t read good things about the new one.

• tdoa says:

It’s never going to be enough
      . Long may the vile pig reign!

• TyeGrr says:

That’s a mighty long list which includes the likes of Meryl Streep, Diane Keaton, Michael Caine, Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Louis CK, Scarlett Johnasson, Hugh Jackman, Naomi Watts, Josh Brolin, Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem, Emma Stone, Colin Firth, Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Michael Sheen, Marion Cotillard, Kathy Bates, Adrien Brody, Steve Carell, Joaquin Phoenix, Jesse Eisenberg, Emily Mortimer, Brian Cox, Evan Rachel Wood, Patricia Clarkson, Larry David, Sean Penn, Samantha Morton, Will Ferrell, Max Von Sydow, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Dianne Wiest, Martin Landau, Aan Alda… And still many more.

• ML says:

Max?! Say it isn’t so! I wonder how many secretly regret it now. That’s assuming they didn’t know. If they did know, maybe it’s some sort of weird initiation into Hollywood.

• BillUSA says:

Thanks for the list. Saved me the trouble.

6. BillUSA says:

Oh-kay…strike Kate Winslet from my list of respectable people because of her association with pedophile Woody Allen.

• BillUSA says:

I’ll take that to mean I’m right, thank you.

• JD says:

Ugh and I’m sure she’ll be playing the part of the vile pigs way to hot love interest. Go away Roman…err, I mean Woody

• Ken says:

Sayonara.

• StepFatherJ says:

I will never watch anything that has anything to do with Mr. Allen. But I guess for most Hollywood people, Money is more important than having any kind of principles!

• ML says:

It’s funny, after I read this I started going into denial like Winslet is going to make a grand statement by dropping out and proclaiming support of women and girl’s rights by doing so! She’ll get sued, then get witnesses, then somehow his reputation will be officially tarnished forever! But then I snapped out of it, realising that the world is full of pedophiles and rapists that will do anything for money and sick pleasure, and like sheep off a cliff we’ll pay money to see his films, thus, keep him rich and powerful, so he can rape yet more girls.

• Roland Hill says:

I’m sure she’ll be crushed by the news.

• BillUSA says:

Okay, I’m an idiot. Looking back, I should have stated “I don’t give a shit how any actor or actress feels, simply due to their association with pedophile Woody Allen. He gave up that privilege for himself when he molested children.”

There, have your feel-good fun with that you enabler.

• BillUSA says:

I don’t give a shit how he feels about anything. He gave up that privilege when he molested children.