John Carpenter Boards New ‘Halloween’ Movie

Halloween Jamie Lee Curtis
Courtesy of Fathom Events

John Carpenter, creator of the original “Halloween” films, will return to the franchise as executive producer on a new production of the iconic horror movie.

Miramax  and Blumhouse Productions will co-finance development and production. Producers are Malek Akkad under his Trancas banner and Jason Blum producing for Blumhouse.

Miramax holds worldwide distribution rights and will determine its theatrical distribution partner at a future date.

The “Halloween” film franchise was started in part by Carpenter and Moustapha Akkad in 1978, and has led to 10 films that have grossed nearly $400 million worldwide.

John Carpenter said, “38 years after the original ‘Halloween,’ I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all.”

The news was unveiled on a new Halloween Movies web site.

“‘Halloween’ is one of those milestone films that inspired everyone at our company to get into the world of scary movies,” Blum said. “The great Malek Akkad and John Carpenter have a special place in the hearts of all genre fans and we are so excited that Miramax brought us together. We cannot wait to find and collaborate with the right filmmaker to give ‘Halloween’ fans the movie they deserve.”

David Thwaites will oversee the reboot for Miramax with Carpenter.

The original “Halloween” was directed by Carpenter from his own script about Michael Myers as he stalks and kills teenage babysitters on Halloween night. The film begins with six-year-old Michael killing his teenage sister on Halloween in 1963; he escapes 15 years later from a sanitarium and stalks Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) and her friends as they babysit.

Malek Akkad is the son of Moustapha Akkad, who exec produced the original “Halloween” and produced several of the sequels. Malek Akkad produced three sequels, including 1998’s “Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later,” 2007’s “Halloween” and 2009’s “Halloween II.”

1. john says:

make the new halloween movie take place after resurrection because we want to see what happens after myers opens his eyes at the end of resurrection

2. Michelle Diener says:

I would like to see Jamie Lee Curtis come back. When she fell in Halloween Resurrection, she could “resurrect” like her brother. She’s the best!

3. Michael says:

I will like to see tommy the girl he was with and the little boy and the baby is Michael Myers nephew from the movie call Halloween the course of Michael Myers. Also don’t forget that dr loomis had a son. He also will be in new Halloween don’t leave out LL cool J busts Rhymes and also Tyra banks. So John Carpenter I will love to help you out please email me thanks I’m a big fan of Halloween.

4. Julie says:

Me and my entire family are huge fans of the original Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween H20. We didn’t think that the others were as good or especially as the original Halloween. It was the absolute scariest and the music couldn’t be beat! I remember going to see the original Halloween with my mom and aunt when I was 3 years old! When I found out about a new Halloween movie, produced by John Carpenter, I was more than excited and had to let my brother know about the good news! He is a huge fan of the original Halloween and won a costume contest as Michael Myers a couple of times. The mask looked just like the original in the movie, he wore a dark blue Dickies jumpsuit too. He looked just like Michael Myers! They just don’t make horror movies like they did back in the 70’s and 80’s. We grew up watching them all, so we can’t wait for the upcoming Halloween film! Thanks John Carpenter!

5. Adam Nixon says:

This will be very interesting. I’m a fan of the series as a whole, though it has had its up’s and down’s.

I’m just curious as to which (if any) of the previously established continuities this may fit into, as at this moment, there’s a handful of different canons within the “Halloween” universe. (Ex. 1, 2 and H20 form one trilogy, 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 form a different canon, there’s the two remakes, etc.)

I’m hoping that this one will just follow 1 and 2 and start another continuity line. H20 was a great ending to the franchise, and I think it should be left alone with the new film being a new canon building off of the original 2. (And no, I don’t count that dreadful “Resurrection” as a canonical sequel to H20 because it was such a tonal and stylistic betrayal of the previous films.) And of course nobody really wants to see more of the Thorn storyline from 4, 5 and 6.

6. Jose says:

This might possibly be the last film for the Halloween franchise. Many years ago I read a Carpenter interview where he said that he would only get involved again if it was the last film. Or possibly a story continuation? This film should turn out scary. Im looking forward to it.

7. Michael Varn says:

Great to see John Carpenter returning to the”Halloween” franchise. I would really like to know what he had in mind if he had stayed on for a third film with Michael Myers. Rumor has it that he and Debra Hill had written story treatments and scripts for Halloween 3 before they bowed out. Would love to see John Carpenter’s vision of a sequel to Halloween 2 OR prequel to Halloween 4, depending how you look at it. Perhaps a Halloween film set back in the 1980’s might be the way to go here. If could be titled…

Halloween 3:
    The Lost Sequel

• Bobby says:

I think it would be awesome if they dusted off those older cameras and used those for the film. I mean, if Nirvana was able to get ahold of old cameras to film their “in bloom” video…no reason they shouldn’t be able to.

• Michael says:

Can they just make Halloween bloodline when Michael Myers attacks his family from the original Halloween