‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ Star Slams Jada Pinkett Smith for Boycotting Oscars

Janet Huber Jada Pinkett Smith
Courtesy of NBC

Now, this is a story all about how Jada Pinkett Smith’s call for an Oscar boycott flipped-turned upside down.

Janet Hubert, who played the original aunt Viv on “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” posted a video on YouTube slamming Pinkett Smith’s own video deliberating over whether to boycott this year’s Oscars after the Academy nominated only white actors for the second year in a row. Spike Lee also announced on Monday that he would not be attending the Oscar ceremony.

“Does your man not have a mouth of his own with which to speak?” Hubert said in the video, referring to her onetime costar Will Smith, who was snubbed for a lead actor nomination for his role in “Concussion.”

“I find it ironic that somebody who has made their living and has made millions and millions of dollars from the very people that you’re talking about boycotting just because you didn’t get a nomination, just because you didn’t win?” Hubert said in the four-minute video. “That’s not the way life works, baby.”

Hubert also implied that there are bigger battles to fight in the world, where “people are dying. Our boys are being shot left and right. People are starving. People are trying to pay bills.”

She also noted that it’s unfair of Pinkett Smith to encourage other black actors to jeopardize their careers by skipping Hollywood’s biggest night.

“You ain’t Barack and Michelle Obama. And y’all need to get over yourselves,” she added. “You have a huge production company that you only produce your friends and family and yourself. So you are a part of Hollywood, you are part of the system that is unfair to other actors. So get real.”

Hubert was replaced by Daphne Maxwell Reid after playing the Banks family matriarch on the hit NBC sitcom from 1990 to 1993. She also recalled a story in which Smith refused to band together with his “Fresh Prince” costars to negotiate a collective raise — a la “Friends” — allegedly saying: “‘My deal is my deal, and y’alls deal is y’alls deal.'”

Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs released a rare statement Monday night addressing the controversy over Oscar’s lack of diversity.

“I’d like to acknowledge the wonderful work of this year’s nominees,” she wrote. “While we celebrate their extraordinary achievements, I am both heartbroken and frustrated about the lack of inclusion. This is a difficult but important conversation, and it’s time for big changes. The Academy is taking dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership. In the coming days and weeks we will conduct a review of our membership recruitment in order to bring about much-needed diversity in our 2016 class and beyond.”

1. Shawn says:

She actually makes some pretty good points here.

2. Judy Carter says:

Jada and Will so stay HOME; you will not be missed

3. Henry says:

Jada Pinkett Smith is a racist. How many times has Leonardo Dicaprio been snubbed for an Oscar when we were all 100% sure he would win it! That’s how the Oscars work, they are completely unpredictable. Boycotting the Oscars is childish and shows how much of a sore loser Jada is. I understand that Will Smith is pissed, but don’t pull the race card, Will. I know you’re better than that.

4. KL says:

The Smiths are cry babies sort loser. By boycotting the Oscars, they slapped the faces of all those who got nominated. The Oscar is about celebrating the hard work of those nominated. The nomination are based on merits, not skin color. As much as I liked Will Smith for so many years, I will be BOYCOTTING his movies.

5. me says:

Jada and Will are obviously sore losers. They are complaining about a trophy to ad to their humble collection of achievements. Instead of Jada speaking on this matter, Will should have been man enough to bring his complaint forth without his wife starting all this drama! Instead of focusing on an Oscar, they need to direct some LONG OVERDUE TIME , LOVE ,& ENERGY to Jaden/Jade b4 he turns 18.

6. Melissa says:

I agree with Ms.Hubert, Jada & Will need to focus on some real black issues , like our young black children getting beaten and gunned down by cops. The Smiths have forgotten where they come from & they need to sit down! They are in their feelings. They can keep on if they like, & Hollywood will show them who made their careers! Jada & Will need to pick another battle! Not this one! They will lose! Let’s see how this plays out……

7. todd says:

Will Smith was not snubbed. Neither the movie nor his performance were particularly well-received. Do better next time and I’m sure he will be nominated again. As for Spike Lee boycotting, why was he even invited? He hasn’t been relevant in a long time.

8. Altruiste says:

No one is afforded more freedom than the person that is allowed to blame another’s skin for their own personal failures!! -Altruiste

9. Jena says:

Jena keeps hate alive and Jena is the racists! People like her in the 21 st century is using race card over and over, One can’t make it own their own merits pulls out the race card. SAD and patheditic

10. Laura says:

Well Said!!!

11. Angiedee says:

I am very disappointed in Jada Pinkett Smith. If her husband feels the same way, then I will make it a POINT not to pay for his movies. Not going to fund racist people.

• Jena says:

Well, she made her bed now she can lie in it and many will agree with you and many will not. As for myself I will not being supporting them live the lifestyle they have been!! Jena Pinkett Smith helped me decide this very clearly. As stated before so many others of all color n creed aren’t using the race card cause of this. Kevin Bacon played excellent roles over the years and I don’t see him crying and boycotting either.

12. TM says:

There a bunch of nutty comments on here.

13. Spike says:

very entertaining hubert. word!, baby! get your game on! and tell it like it is, Baby!

14. Billy Pox says:

Hey Hollywood Elite. Listen up. I guarantee I speak for at least 50% of America (if not the world). WE DON’T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BEYOND YOUR ACTING IN A MOVIE OR TV PROGRAM. What you say, do or think beyond that is IRRELEVANT to us. Be grateful you have a job you love and that your family is taken care of. Beyond that…shut up, shut up, shut up. We beg of you. Be quiet so we can enjoy your acting. I know you have zero clue, but there is an entire world outside of Los Angeles/Hollywood that functions nicely without any of your input. Stop repeatedly embarrassing yourselves.

• Jena says:

Might add a “HUGE PAY CHECK” that a lot supported to you all. So, JENA, you and family could afford to live to life the fullest and than you throw it in fans the face to boycott. . See how many support you and others that cry about this, YOU are a the racists.

• I would like to agree with Billy Pox and add that those who become outside on issues that I despise (SJ BLM etc) I will actively refuse to watch and pay for. An example of this is Hunger games. Enjoyed the first and second then Jennifer Lawrence comes out with her idiocy about the nudes. I disagreed vociferously so I dont pay anything she’s involved it.
      No one cares about Academy membership because its like voting for the color of the floor tiles in a local walmart. WE the public have no choice in it nor do we care about your choice in it. We simply walk on it to get our stuff.

15. kandi says:

Ms. Lady sound like u have a real problem. I believe Will and Jada worked very hard to get where they are today. Don’t hate the players, hate the game. Evidently u didn’t read the rules, therefore you lost. Baby girl just move on and let there millions be billions okay. Get over it. Life is too short.

16. The Deb says:

You have your head on straight Ms.Hubert Thank you for saying what we are all saying in our own living rooms….

17. God says:

So sick of the whininess. Wah, wah, wah say the crybabies. Great actors got nominated this year. Nominating people because they are a particular race is stupid and unfair to the people who do the best acting. Btw, Creed and Comptom were not good enough to deserve picture, director, or lead acting noms. Same deal with a ton of movies that had all-white casts.

18. Lola says:

Wish I had a tear for all of the millionaire Hollywood types that won’t get yet another award on another award show. What about all of us non-millionaires, black and white that are just going to work every day, doing our jobs. No awards given, just a little paycheck and some health insurance. I think there are a lot of lucky black and white actors that get to do a job they love and get paid an extreme amount of money. How bout being grateful, sitting in one of your many mansions, with a chef, a cook, nanny and a gardener. Who cares about an Oscar??? Also, I am angry because no fat people were nominated. I want to see more people that look like me up there. Mid-lifers with acne, big bellies and saggy butts.

19. Mel says:

Oh Aunt Viv – I like what you’re saying, but you are kind of cray. I wonder what the other Aunt Viv thinks.

20. LymonLemon says:

And another thing, did these clowns already forget that their brother Denzel Washington just received the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the globes? WTF?! This stuff is getting old people. The louder and more obnoxious the complainers become, the more divide they create in society. Keep the peace.

21. LymonLemon says:

Janet Hubert you are a hero! Finally someone who gets it!

22. Cookie says:

49% of movie tickets are bought my blacks yet black movies (movies with blacks in a lead role) are not being made in the numbers as white movies. If more black movies were made that would allow black actors a higher chance a nomination. Whites movies are produced in masses so they automatically get a nom and award. I’m black, I frequent the movies a lot but for once I would like to see my race represented in a love story like the notebook. Is this too much to ask? I like white movies too but I give Hollywood my business I just want a representation of that

23. crumbinalfighter says:

Right on JANICE! Touché!

24. William Anderson says:

I’m sorry? The black “entertainment” community getting all irate about being ignored by the Hollywood establishment ? Let me explain something. When someone like “Spike Lee” expresses his dissatisfaction, or someone called “Smith”,or a black director , named Steve McQueen gets all stroppy , I’m going to throw that back in their faces for the sheer hypocrisy and nerve they display. Listen, Mr. Steve McQueen, there was and is only one Steve McQueen in Hollywood, and he wasn’t and isn’t black. If the black “community” are so incensed by their lot, why do they continue to persist in adopting “white” names ?! Why do they not assume their black heritage and call themselves names that are consistent with this , instead of whinging and griping that they’re so hard done-by. Oh, really. Boo-hoo. Steve McQueen: show some bloody backbone and less hypocrisy and change that dumb-ass name.You’re no more Steve McQueen than I, as a white man, am “Opeyemi Olouamifemi ” . I don’t care how you got it, it’s not in your roots; so , people like you , stop bleating about your racial victimisation and get your names and roots right. That might be a start to some kind of racial dignity that you keep complaining that you are deprived of. What a bloody joke you are.

25. Lester says:

Janet Hubert…the World in the Movie industry is so Proud of your Beautiful speech to Jada and the industry, you nailed it on the head about our troops and other aspects of life are so much more IMPORTANT than the Oscars rating that the poor darling didn’t give her the heads up notice she so deserved!!!

26. Billy Pox says:

Hey Spike, Jada, BLM, etc., etc., etc. How dare you call out Hollywood. We are all the best liberals in the world and constantly fight for the rights of the blacks, (er…African Americans). We set the standard for racial harmony. We, the Hollywood Democrats, fully support diversity (see color charts of Hollywood Executives) and hold fund raisers for our incredibly diverse Presidential candidates (see two old white people). Take your fight to the REAL enemies of the African American community – those evil Republicans!

27. JM says:

She is so right maybe it just so happens that there were others that the academy felt were better. Its not like this happens EVERY year for cripe sake. get over this black and white crap EVERYONE!!!!!!! These actors should concentrate on HOW to help people with them being so fortunate. Go into the “hoods” and talk to the young ones to get them on the right path in their young lives. So sad to waste their energy on this stuff!

28. Ellena Linsky says:

Jada Smith isn’t worth the ink you wasted covering her spoiled brat tantrum. She needs to find real talent (something she lacks) and spend her own money to try to produce a worthwhile film. Until then, she needs to give us all a break and get off her little stage. Lots of seriously talented white actors have never received Oscars, nor have they made the money the Smiths have. I just lost all respect for her husband.

29. I think this lady is right not going because not nominated, really does Will Smith not make millions upon millions of dollars for his movies or his wife or spike lee? You all are not working for less money! Not getting less pay! Really go cry in one of your many compounds and leave the bitchin’ to someone with a real axe to grind. A hard working Mom or Dad barely getting by comes to mind or any other injustices in this world

30. sickofthis says:

I cannot believe that ANOTHER race card is being played by certain Hollywood celebrities (brats?). This is the year of racism AGAIN. What kind of changes can the Academy make? Will it demand that x amount of black people must be singled out to win performances that they maybe don’t deserve, sniping the very people that do deserve it just to meet a “quota”? Also, the people that nominate/vote for perspective winners apparently like GOOD performances, not JUST black performances, hence the deserving ones. There are great black performers/actors out there, but that does not necessarily means that they deserve the award just because they are black. This AGAIN, makes no sense to me. Oh and by the way, ALL LIVES MATTER. Just sayin.

31. Melanie says:

I agree with Aunt Viv for the most part, but wish she addressed it more nicely for her benefit.
    There is no need to divide anyone further from white vs. black, award winners vs. losers, etc.

Of course Jada is going to watch the Oscars or at least read about it to find out if she changed the world through the carelessly planned, ill-timed boycott she began for her Oscar un-nominated husband, Will Smith. The two should have attended the ceremony with a more positive, “dignified” presence. Now, it looks like Will is acting like a sore loser and is hiding behind his petite wife. What acting veterans and acting parents do that?

Jada likely encouraged more viewers to watch the Oscars this year than the reverse because a boycott would only make one tune in to see who is on the red carpet and in the audience, and see if and what Academy Award winners incorporate any message on this within their acceptance speeches.

Jada is publicly pressuring actors, actresses, directors, writers and others in the movie industry to potentially jeopardize their careers and choose their personal political stance on Oscar nominee selections. She is essentially asking others to support her boycott and to not be judged by the acting quality of their acting characters, but by the color of their skin. This defeats Jada’s boycott and the freedom, justice and equality that Dr. King stood for more than half a century ago. That is surely one self-serving way to dedicate Dr. King, Jada.

The only other actor/director who showed his public support is the well respected Spike Lee. With his influence, I’m surprised that rather than being more creative in finding ways to impact the movie industry of which he is an integral part of, Spike chose to just jump on Jada’s bandwagon, or should I say, he just got on the bus.

32. Michael says:

Based on Smith’s logic, I’m ready to boycott the NBA, the NFL, Major League Baseball, the BET channel, and the NAACP for their lack of diversity and inclusion. Life is about earning what you deserve, not what you think you’re entitled to. Should non-black people boycott the Smiths’ movies?

• Scott says:

Actually, MLB is the most diverse sport in America, based on its racial breakdown….. If non blacks boycotted the Smiths movies they would be called racists, come on, you know that it must be racist if there aren’t any blacks involved, ha-ha!

33. Sounds like she has the axe to grind since she’s broke and a hater. calling herself a “blacktress”, but why did she loose the part and what does that have to do with JADA having a comment. nobody is forcing her to come out of the house and come out to the fields with the rest of us.

34. Brandon says:

Is this a call for affirmative actions in the Academy awards? Playing the race card because you feel like your husband got snubbed is ridiculous, as is the entire call for a boycott. Not only has Will Smith received a nomination before, but over the last 15 years 11% of nominees and 15% of winners in the acting categories were black. This is right in line with the actual population of the U.S., and it is actually an over-representation of blacks when one takes into account that the Academy considers films made outside of the U.S. and how many nominees are not American. Google how many Hispanic and Asian actors have been nominated over that time span and then explain to me why Jada Pinkett never made any noise about inclusion before now.

It’s fine to complain that you think your husband or someone should have been nominated over someone else, and it is even fine to argue that the voters in the Academy are disproportionately white. These cries of victimization that black actors aren’t receiving nominations because of their race is speculative at best, but to me it seems patently false.

35. Michael Durbin says:

A phrase never said by anyone about a film, TV show, or Oscar’s ceremony: “Hope Jada’s in it.”

36. Lou says:

She has valid points but i think she could’ve left out being condescending to make her point, especially at the end.

37. Sherry M says:

What I would like to know is has there ever been a white person nominated or won a BET Award? Isn’t that just for Black entertainers, etc? How come there aren’t any white entertainers boycotting that? Why do they get to have it both ways? I’m Japanese American…… Should I just boycott everything?

38. karin P says:

As for Baby Jada-um her parents are Hollywood money dearie -she didn’t earn anything on her own. Get your facts right. Spoiled rich girl who doesn’t have a clue what it’s really like to live in Chicago, in a bad part of town and have to fight for every bit of dignity you have. I am a Jew and 60 years ago 600 million of my countrymen were tortured, raped and murdered. Shut up Jada. You don’t have a clue.

• Your facts are very wrong Jada is not from Hollywood or bevy of money her mother was drug addict and also a RN. Her father was MIA most of her life. Young people all talk but don’t know how to provide factual context to any discussion.

• Dex says:

@Reader (11:46)
      The chance is never missed to “educate,” but only selectively. No need to hammer one history ad nauseam to the exclusion of all others.

• Dex says:

@Karin P
      No surprise you managed to weave in the Holocaust and the victimization of Jews in a forum where it’s not the slightest bit applicable. Yes, everyone knows…your people suffered. For the love of God, people get it already.

39. karin P says:

We should ALLL have an Aunt Viv in our families to slap us when we’re stupid and help us get it figured out. JPS has a good case of sour grapes. If she was so concerned about the black condition she would be working in a homeless shelter instead of running her mouth.

40. RTF says:

Let me tell you how life works, baby. Jada made it a lot further than you, and she’s using her notoriety for a good cause, something she feels is more important than money. .

41. karin P says:

Jada Pinkett Smith said in an ET Interview that,”white people make me uncomfortable.” Jada and WIll Smith are racist bigots and thats the bottom line,

42. tayada says:

We are all sick and tired of black people thinking they are entitled just because they are black. Maybe no one thought the films were worth nominating because they stunk, not because they had black actors in it. This behavior makes me never want to see a movie with black in it. Grow up!

43. Propecia XL says:

U GO GURL!

44. Jolie says:

She is rxactly correct. The Smiths, opheah etc. produce black films etc. they do not seek, champion or produce sny white films. They are racist. Talent is talent. Bullying someone to get a nomination is false pride and is not credible. Boycotting the Oscars? Everyone should boycott you jada and your hypocrisy and cheating as$&@ss.

45. fuzzman656 says:

Auntie Tom should shut her mouth. Not watching the white Oscars.

46. Paul b says:

Is this racism or simply black actors not performing at the level of other non black actors. Is it blacks playing the race card or whites discriminating?

• Dorothy Jane says:

Please. Clearly, white guys make the decisions.
      That’s like asking if women are under represented in the art world because they’re just not as good as male artists.
      And pretending it’s an honest question.
      It’s not. Men decide who gets the gallery space. And white men decide who gets the jobs, and who gets the nominations

47. Diann Barnes says:

During my blessed lifetime here on earth, I have seen so much here & happy to be here to see these things take place. Obama our first African American President & I can remember back when I was a child to see actor Richard Pryer along w/Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Kareem Jabar & so many more come together (announced in a news conference) if Hollywood does not want to hire us, we will make our own movies & the rest is history & gave birth to “The Black Movement in Movies” & I remember we not only hired blacks but whites as well. It was a huge success & it woke Hollywood up. We also can’t forget the Grammy’s when will smith was snubbed for his Grammy for parents just don’t understand & other artists took a stand up for what’s right & look where the Grammy’s are now, not perfect but they do acknowledge the contributions of hip hop music. So when I see artists like Jada, Magic, Steve Harvey take a stand & speak up it does my heart good as an African American woman with pride. Message to Jada: Girl do your thing always been a fan of yours from the start & there will be more of your friends & peers to follow. It’s high time we all know who actually does the voting on these awards because it always seems the winners are movies, recordings etc that nobody hardly goes to or buy anyway. My mom was always a huge fan of award shows & I would always tell her they are just FASHION SHOWS ON THE RED CARPET ! ! I have been boycotting the oscars since the early eighty’s could never understand why it took so long to give it to Al Pacino w/all the great work he put in & let’s not forget Angela Basset & Lawrence Fishborne in What’s love Got To Do With It & Denzel for Malcom X & The Hurricane! So Jada, GO GIRL ! ! ! ! !

• fuzzman656 says:

You should be much more succinct. No way I’m reading your post. Too many words.

• Patrick Juvet says:

Paul Newman won the Best Actor Oscar in 1987….Your point would have made more sense had you used a example of someone deserving who didn’t actually win.

• Jolie says:

Paul newman – fantastic actor. Never won. Black academy perps always voted agsinst him cuz he is white.

Now, how does that feel, to have people say things that aren’t real but provoke so much division?

48. benny says:

Aunt Viv – Janet Hubert – wow she is pretty awesome.

49. Jeff Kantor says:

Spike Lee and Jada Pinkeff Smith need to shut up!