Harry Styles, Fionn Whitehead to Star in Christopher Nolan WW2 Action-Thriller ‘Dunkirk’

Harry Styles Dunkirk
Matt Baron/REX/Shutterstock

UPDATED: One Direction singer Harry Styles and Fionn Whitehead will star in Christopher Nolan’s World War II action-thriller “Dunkirk.”

They join Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance and Kenneth Branagh in the film, which centers on the British military evacuation of the French city of Dunkirk in 1940. “Dunkirk” will mark their feature film debuts.

British actors Jack Lowden and Aneurin Barnard have also joined the cast of “Dunkirk.”

Variety reported exclusively in December that Nolan had come on to direct and produce the film with his longtime partner Emma Thomas. They have been conducting an extensive casting search.

“Dunkirk” will be shot on a combination of Imax 65mm and 65mm large format film. Shooting will begin in May at many of the locations where the true-life events actually took place.

A quickly-assembled British fleet of more than 800 boats saved more than 335,00 soldiers who had been cut off by the German Army. As the rescue was concluding, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill told Parliament, “We shall fight on beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender.”

“Dunkirk” hits theaters on July 21, 2017.

Styles, 22, joined the group One Direction in 2010. The band, which has released five studio albums, was the subject of the 2013 Morgan Spurlock documentary “One Direction: This Is Us,” which grossed $68 million worldwide.

Newcomer Whitehead appeared in ITV’s three-part horror-drama “Him.” Lowden appeared in BBC-Weinstein Company’s ‘War and Peace” and Amma Asante’s “A United Kingdom.” Barnard  portrayed King Richard in the BBC-Starz miniseries “The White Queen.”

The news about the offer to Styles was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

1. Sue says:

Harry has had everything handed to him on a silver platter. All he has to do is smile & show off his dimples & women (and men) are putty in his hands & he knows it.

2. Didta says:

Nice shot for Harry Styles

3. Rose says:

I’m just wondering where your source is? I know you stated that Harry Styles joined the cast of Dunkirk but it would be really helpful if you could report exactly where you got that information from? Did you receive confirmation from Harry’s rep? Is there a quote from Christopher Nolan or maybe Dunkirk’s casting director? I just don’t trust sources that you can’t name or put a face to.

4. Layla00 says:

I think people who are not willing to give Harry Styles a chance are the same idiots who think they own the comic book world. You’re first instinct is to claim that Harry can’t possibly act, then when you find out the numerous people and studios he had to read for to win the part, you then claim you don’t want to sit next to his 15 year old fans. Well, let me tell you something, maybe those 15 year old girls don’t want to sit next to some 40 year old dude during a superman or batman movie listening to you complain about their capes or cowls not being up to par or your liking. I’m not a Harry stan, but I like the kid and think if Nolan and Thompson (and Warner Bros.) cast him, then he impressed enough people to be cast in a Christopher Nolan film. Just like you never wanted Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon Levitt or Anne Hathaway in his movies either and they slayed. So you need to calm down and trust Nolan, he’s never made a bad casting decision to date and he’s not going to make one now. We know he’s not doing it for an audience, he doesn’t need one for his movies, so he clearly picked Harry Styles on his acting chops only. So get past who Harry’s fans are, what his job is as a pop star and enjoy his most likely stella performance in Dunkirk.

5. Carol Sherwood says:

I think that it is wonderful that Harry Styles is going to be in this movie. He is a very warm caring young man and deserves the best. He will be wonderful in this movie. And I as an older One Direction fan cannot wait to see it. Congratulations Harry and Good Luck.

6. Tim says:

incase anyone Doesn’t Realize, Harry Styles has a older fan base as well..older then 20′ & 30’s too. People of all ages men & Women adore these guys but Especially HARRY! People don’t realize that every time a Mother, Father, aunt or Uncle, Friend see them in Concert, They are charmed and falling for them too. as well as every time they give an Interview, or go on Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimball, James Corden, ELLEN, ToDAY SHOW, the list goes on & On! These guys don’t need to sell their music with SEX and swearing either. They should be respected because they are truly at the top of the list for being Role Models that we need today! They Deserve Respect & Credit for doing things their Way and in kind caring way! So the next time ppl say only young girls like them, give yourselves a slap in the head, Because you are wrong! ALL AGES And Sexes LOVE these GUYS!! Especially HARRY!

7. Jazmyne jones says:

I am so excited to see this movie… I think that Harry is very talented. He will be fantabulous!😁😃

8. Congratulations to two talented young men for following their passions and pursuing their interests! I am thrilled for Mr. Styles and Mr. Whitehead to have gone through such an extensive casting process, and then, as quoted, have the filmmakers state they were impressed with their readings during the extensive casting process. See y’all at the movies!! I’ll be the one at the front of the line!

9. Andrea says:

Nolan is one of the best directors of our generation and his casting choices are always excellent. If he thinks Harry Styles and Fionn Whitehead are good enough for his movie despite the lack of experience, I’m going to trust him on this.

10. Kurt says:

Yuck! This is definitely a studio decision.

11. Debbie. says:

Congratulations Harry! I Don’t think this is for just 12 year girls. You are very talented, it’s obvious that you give more than 100 percent in whatever you so please don’t let these negative people bring you down. Just to let you know I am alot older than 12 and I can see your talent! Good luck on your part, I know you will be great! Bless you! I will be looking forward to seeing the film. Just remember this, in America we had the Best President who started out as an actor, his name was President Ronald Reagan, I am sure he had to deal with some negative comments about his ability to be President but, it didn’t stop him so just remember this if you ever doubt your ability to do anything you want. Spread your wings and Fly! Blessings!

12. Mike says:

Chris Nolan’s pandering. Shame on you Chris! He wants to lock in that valuable market of 12 year old girls. Unfortunately, Harry’ll have to cut his hair for the movie and thereby lose 100% of the sex appeal that attracts those little girls.

• Kate says:

WOW, Mike, You CLEARLY don’t Know anything about Harry Styles! I am a Mother and have seen many interviews, videos on everything in the last few years, and just like all of Hollywood adoring Harry Styles the minute they meet him, so Do many Millions of Over 20,30 & 40 yr olds men, & Women! Not because he’s in a Band, but Because of what a Kind, caring, respectful gentleman he is, because of his Morals, and the fact that he has never in 5 YEARS ever said a NEGATIVE word about anyone, no matter How much abuse and crap he has taken from Judgemental, Negative People like you. He Grew up Loving Elvis, He actually has all Elvis’s GOOD Qualities, yet he doesn’t do Drugs, or Objectify women,He eats clean & Healthy, Works out, and does so much for Charities. as far as his acting, watch some videos, There are Lots out there that will give you an Idea how good he can Be.

• peace2016 says:

Harry Styles has a HUGE adult fan base in their 20’s and 30’s. Yep, their’s going to be thousands of women just dying to learn more about WWII !!!

13. Makia says:

This is a joke ,right? I had enough with Justin Timerlake’s horrible acting and you will bring Harry styles into it?? Everything to keep girly voiced band relative .

• Stop says:

Oh wow !! You clearly have seen this talented dude called Harry Styles act to judge him on this !! So relevant !1!!1!!

14. evil says:

is this just for publicity?

15. I have absolutely no relationship to One Direction’s music, I will admit, but I absolutely love CINEMA and movies, and the history of movies have been full of pop stars who made a great transition into the world of screen acting, so for the sake of motion pictures I wish Mr Harry Styles all the best and hope he will prove to be a great actor. From what I have seen he certainly seems to have a lot of charisma. Hope the same is true for his talent as an actor. If so, this could be a great. Anyways, after the great moviegoing experiences Mr Nolan gave me with “Inception” and “Interstellar” I really hope his “Dunkirk” will succeed. And screw all the anti-cinematic haters!

16. Kel says:

SUPER super excited for this. So happy for Harry, he’s so talented and it’s been virtually untapped during his time with one direction, he’s such a presence and I can’t wait for him to blow people away. Even if it’s just a small role, I’m so excited. If people judge him based on the fact he was with a boyband, just look at Timberlake…so happy about this!

17. don says:

Hey Nolan, why don’t you leave all of One Direction on the beach in Normandy and just not bring them back? Or, two words, friendly fire.

18. Alice says:

Been waiting for Harry to get into acting (though I am also hoping for some solo music from him). BTW – One Direction has five albums. The 5th, Made in the A.M., was released in November, 2015.

19. Harry S. says:

“yea, um I play a poor French villager who gets burned over um 70 percent of my um body. You never um really get to see my face, so I have to act with my eyes, me thinks. Chris (Nolan) and I agree um that if an opportunity arises, I’ll um improvise a song while filming. I’m working on something haunting, um yea.”

20. John Th says:

Is this a joke??

21. Crystal says:

Are you kidding me? Has anyone seen Harry’s previous attempts at acting? He was horrible. And Nolan doesn’t need such stunt casting at all. Nolan alone is a household name, he doesn’t need to a former boyband singer to draw attention to his movie.

22. evil says:

is this for publicity?

23. Congratulations Harry Styles on your debut Acting Status I’m so happy for you absolutely Delighted to see you make your debut Acting Role on TV.

24. Lara says:

I can safely say I did not see this coming.