Matt Damon Defends Sean Penn’s El Chapo Interview Backstage at Golden Globes

Matt Damon Golden Globes 2016
Michael Buckner/Variety/REX/Shutterstock

Matt Damon was named best actor in a motion picture musical or comedy for “The Martian,” and when asked backstage on whether he felt the film was a comedy, he quipped, “No, it’s a musical.”

Damon, who flies out to Las Vegas in the morning to continue working on the new Jason Bourne movie, was also asked about Sean Penn’s interview with Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman in Rolling Stone.

“I haven’t read it yet; I definitely plan to. I subscribe to Rolling Stone so it’s already been sent to me,” he said. “But look, it’s nothing new, actors going and seeking out meetings like this. It’s part of what we do in our job really well and Sean somehow figured out that he had an audience with this person and I’m sure was pursuing something creatively and thought a meeting with him would be valuable, so he did it.”

In his acceptance speech, Damon spoke about how he had been at the Golden Globes before, noting, “It has literally been 18 years since I have been here, doing this, and with a little more context, I know how lucky I am and how lucky I am to do this for a living.”

Asked to elaborate on his comments backstage, he spoke about how rare a film “The Martian” is, in that it connected with both critics and audiences. “You work equally hard on so many movies. You can’t do it unless you absolutely love it. The result is the result and you don’t know what the audience is going to do. Most of the time, they don’t show up,” he admitted. “When something like this happens and people really respond to the movie and critics really respond to the movie and there’s that kind of perfect storm reaction, it’s great.”

Asked what advice he would give his younger self, Damon noted that he was actually given very good advice when he was starting out. “I was lucky for having great grown-ups in my life, people who were very wise and encouraged me to just focus on work and not any of this superfluous stuff,” he said. “And I think I’d just reinforce the kind of things I was told at 20.”

1. Sal U. Lloyd says:

“I’m not your problem.” — Chris Walken as drug lord “Frank White” in Abel Ferrara’s KING OF NEW YORK (1990)

2. eqquesz says:

Well, as long as it is all good with Matt Damon, then the only other thing that Mr. Penn needs is the OK from El Chapo; and, it will be all gravy from then on.

• Sal U. Lloyd says:

Nothing as ridiculous and absurd as this Kafkaesque collective known as the “Hollywood Foreign Press” putting Scot”s THE MARTIAN in the “comedy/musical” category, just to make room for hevy-handed propaganda like Spurtlight and Carol.

3. JE Vizzusi says:

Lets just speculate this: Charles Manson breaks out of prison and flees to Brazil. I get the exclusive interview. He tells me he has a new group of followers and he will again try to start a revolution getting the blacks against the whites by killing innocent celebrities. I withhold the interview from the Federal Investigators and he remains on the loose. Why is this not a crime?

• ehgeee says:

A journalist is obligated to report credible information pertaining to intent to commit a crime. They are not required to disclose information which would reveal the identity of their sources or by agreement in order to obtain the interview or which would prevent future interviews or their function as a credentialed journalist (as protected by the literal stipulation in the US Constitution of a “free press.”)

• gkn says:

Because you are not obliged to unless you are subpoenaed? For one. Plus this drug lord’s idiotic vanity in letting Penn interview him DID lead to the FBI’s finding him, from what I read. So wth are you fussing about?

4. Jim Allen says:

Vapid mindless narcissistic actors; ok Matt so you and Penn can go meet with ISIS leaders after a day where they’ve raped and murdered a whole family and talk shop? Maybe break some bread made by one of their sex slaves. Because the “work” is important? Go to hell man.

• ehgeee says:

At what point did Matt Damon or Sean Penn suggest “breaking bread” with anyone representing ISIS? (assuming such an entity really exists)
      In any case, it’s easy to cast aspersions with the help of a thesaurus but the mud doesn’t stick — what Penn has done with his celebrity is not narcissism; it’s investigative journalism. He’s using his public visibility to draw attention to issues that corporate news media fail to address.

• GGbox says:

ehgee – you are seriously mistaken if you believe a story dependent on the approval of the subject is called investigative journalism. Penn is doing the bidding of El Chapo.

5. Sal U. Lloyd says:

Actors seek out drug traffickers? Is that what he’s saying???

6. RKD says:

I love him. He and his wife looked so adorable and happy together and The Martian was such an inspiring film. Hope he wins the Oscar!

7. Dienesha says:

Mac Damon offends u… Dirty El Cheapo.. hate black womens!