‘Ghostbusters’ Reboot First Trailer Arrives Online

Reboot preview shows off all-star female cast, classic Ghostbusters tech

Sony unveiled the first trailer for its new “Ghostbusters” on Thursday, showing the team coming together, plenty of call-backs to the original, an update for both ghosts and Ghostbusters tech and more slime than the Kids Choice Awards.

The trailer for the July 15 release starts with a scene that echoes the 1984 original: In a library, paranormal researcher Abby Yates (Melissa McCarthy), particle physicist Erin Gilbert (Kristen Wiig) and eccentric nuclear engineer Jillian Holtzmann (Kate McKinnon) — the inventor behind their tech — approach a female ghost, which answers with a torrent of ectoplasm.

Last but not least comes with Patty Tolan (Leslie Jones), a subway token booth clerk who’s been part of a ghost sighting, and volunteers herself as the ideal guide to New York.

The Ghostbusters soon discover that something is amplifying psychic activity in the Big Apple, which is soon overrun with apparitions. A new twist: These ghosts can possess humans, which leads to a bit at the end of the trailer that pays homage to “The Exorcist,” in more ways than one.

“Ghostbusters” fans will spot the all-star cast of comediennes wearing proton packs; a new Ecto-1 Ghostbuster-mobile (still a classic car); and the Lower Manhattan locale of Ghostbusters HQ. Not to be seen, though, are any of the original cast. As director Paul Feig explained to a preview audience for the trailer on the Sony lot, this is a reboot, not a sequel. There will be no Bill Murray/Peter Venkman as Obi-wan-Ghostbuster, no hand-off from the original two films.

“I didn’t like the idea of (the new Ghostbusters) being handed technology — ‘Here’s how to do this.’ I want to see it developed,” said Feig at the Wednesday event. “We give them their own original origin story and play with that.”

Feig first introduced the trailer, saying he saw the original on its opening night in 1984, when he was in film school, and was inspired by the combination of science, fantasy and comedy. “I had never seen anything like it,” he said. “I thought ‘Oh my God, if I could ever do anything like this it would be incredible.’”

After the trailer screened twice for an excited group of fans, some of whom had flown in from around the country to appear in costume at the event, Feig did a Q&A along with Katie Dippold, his co-writer on the new film, and Ivan Reitman, director of the 1984 “Ghostbusters.”

Dippold said “It was really important to (herself and Feig) to really capture the heart of what we loved so much about the original. And it was really important to Paul to still bring something new, so it wouldn’t just feel like another reboot.” One classic element is Leslie Jones’ character, the everywoman who joins the team, much as Ernie Hudson’s character did in the original. “It was so fun to see that person I relate to listen to these three nerd scientists,” said Dippold.

Dippold explained another reason to make a reboot instead of a sequel: The ghosts had been very public in the first two films, and they didn’t want to set their film in a world where the existence of ghosts was an established fact. “In the original it’s so fun when ghosts unleash on the city for the first time,” she said.“It’s just such a fun thing, we didn’t want to skip over it,” said Dippold.

As far as the ghosts themselves, Feig said he was taking a “scientifically based” approach to the appearance of his ghosts, getting into things like the auras surrounding them and the particulates coming off them as they dissolve in the air.”

“I don’t want my actors acting with tennis balls, as they do in so many of these CGI movies. So Bess Rous, who plays the first ghost who eco-projects all over Kristin — that was her, in that dress, in this LED suit, with this thing that kind of picked her up and pushed her forward. Then with our CG team we go in and play with that look.”

One ghost will be familiar to fans of the first “Ghostbusters”: Slimer. Reitman explained that after John Belushi died (He was originally to star in the film in the role eventually taken by Bill Murray), he and his co-writers came up with the idea of a “Belushi ghost” that would eat a lot. Retiman said they were surprised when that ghost, Slimer, became an essential part of the film’s iconography.

Reitman compared seeing the new four stars to the first time he saw his quartet of men walk down Madison Ave. in their Ghostbusters suits. Of that day in the 1980s, he said “There was this little tingle down my back, that this is special. There’s just something about the iconography of it. And I really got, honestly, the same feeling when I saw these four women. … There’s something startling about those four together.”

Feig said that he and Dippold wrote the script without specific actors in mind. “Then it was about two months of me going ‘Okay, who are the perfect people for this?’” Not even McCarthy was a shoo-in, he said. “I was like, I’ve just got to get four very distinct personalities for this, and I know so many funny people, and especially funny women.”

“I just wanted the funniest people, and the funniest people I know are these women,” he said.

Feig explained the dynamics that excited him about this quartet. “Kristin’s kind of this vulnerable comedian, and Melissa’s a headstrong comedian, and Kate who’s the weirdo nut, who’s doing things that make you say ‘Where did that come from?’ and then Leslie is just this powerhouse who comes at you.”

Feig and Dippold promised that they’ve included all the essentials of a “Ghostbusters” film, including the “Ghostbusters” song — both new and old versions — but to avoid spoilers, they didn’t offer details.

“I don’t want to give stuff away because we do it in a fun way,” said Feig. “You know the iconography. You know the things that you love the most. Let’s just say most of them show up, in one way or another, but again in a way that will hopefully be surprising so you’re not expecting it.”

1. Paul R Gori says:

ah haa ok i get it they are not making a new movie just completely taking all the classic stuff about the first two and making it pathetically stupid

2. Mez says:

I dont even care its an all female cast, though that is political BS. This is by far the worst looking piece of crap I have ever refused to see based on a crappy trailer where you basically see the whole damned crap movie.

Why on earth would you take away the only thing that has kept a nonsense sci fi movie from the 80s relevant; FAN WISHES.

Its like this crap director chose a project out of a hat and wrote and designed it high on morphine.

The level of BS Hollywood is producing now is almost insane. ARE THEY EVEN FROM THIS PLANET?

Who did they make this movie for? It is beyond horrible from what I have seen,

Are they high? They signed off on this? Damn. Just damn.

• acouvis says:

Agreed. The only reason you can’t see these comments on the Youtube video is that Sony keeps deleting the comments that all agree that it will suck. Unfortunately for Sony they can’t delete the 170,000 dislikes it has already managed to get in 24 hours.

3. Bruce Fan says:

I sincerely hope that the trailer misrepresents the film. If not, it will be crass humour, vulgar and tonally so different from the original “Ghostbusters” that I will not want to watch it. A pity, since Paul Feig directed some of the best episodes of the US “The Office”.

4. Gus K says:

Looks like a lot of fun. Feig knows how to write truly, funny comedy.

• Rena Moretti says:

You could say that or that he is part of the little coterie of unfunny comedy writers, directors and actors that the studios reflexively genuflect in front of, no matter how awful their projects are…

5. Joey says:

I thought the women were the daughters of Akroyds and Murrays characters? So this is a reboot then??

6. Isamu Riley says:

I’d rather eat porcupine quils for an hour….than see this feminist crap

7. Brandon says:

This movie is honestly going to be terribld, to me it seems more like a comedy spin off

8. DB says:

Absolutely, stupid, moronic BS. I hope this movie dies from the pit of HELL.

9. John Smith says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thinks this looks absolutely awful….I hope nobody goes to see it

10. DVB says:

WTF?! This looks horrible! Girl power ghost busters…..really. Well I drop my teenage daughter off if she wants to see this.

11. jamar says:

Well the music was ok, that’s a good thing right?

12. Generally I don’t mind a reboot, or something redone…and I don’t usually get to up or down about a preview, but….this doesn’t look good, I agree with someone earlier saying this looks more like Scooby Doo. The fun about the old Ghostbusters is the balance between being Scary and Funny…this just looks Silly, the Ghosts all look like they are kid cartoon characters…a bit worried….hope it’s better than this preview.

13. Rena Moretti says:

Shame on Sony for a pointless, sexist remake.

14. Ronnie says:

This is not a strong trailer. But I watched the trailer for the original “Ghostbusters” and that trailer was not very funny either. They saved the best jokes for the moviegoers and relied on the cast to get the audience into theatres. Don’t know if that strategy will work this time. I’m on the fence. I’ll wait for reviews.

15. Chaka says:

I can’t wait for the reboot of ‘Waiting to Exhale’ with a white all male cast!

16. Berke Zane says:

So this?…..Is the start of diversity?

17. Lou says:

Now I understand why ISIS hates the West.

18. Daniel says:

Awful, just awful. This looks like stink garbage!

19. Kevin Smith says:

If it’s a reboot and not sequel, then why is it stated in the beginning of the preview “30 years ago, 4 scientists saved New York?

• It’s saying in OUR world it was 30 years ago. IN their world it never happened. It’s a way of playing with our nostalgia.

• sammyglick says:

It’s still very confusing to refer to the previous film (so we all know the basic story and characters) but then go on to assert none of those characters or what they’re about to do (battle ghosts) exist in the new version. In other words, it would have been better to simply act as if this is the FIRST time we’re seeing a movie about ‘ghostbusters’.

• I wasn’t confused. Sorry life is hard for you.

20. Also, maybe I’m wrong, but based on the names I’m seeing of the people opposed to this movie, they seem to be primarily men. Hey men, are you really disinterested in this for production and plot, or are you disinterested because the Ghostbusters are played by women? Be for real with me.

• The movie looks terrible because Ghostbusters is an iconic movie played by iconic actors. It would have been better for these ladies if someone developed an original screenplay rather than a remake.

This is like remaking Bridesmaids and calling it Groomsmen with four dudes.

• Rena Moretti says:

Exactly!!

Giving a sad rehash to actresses is as insulting as doing ‘Black Kojak” or “Black Ironside” to Black performers.

It will also fail the same way (but don’t worry studios control the publication of box-office numbers so it’ll look like a hit to the media!)

• wayne Klein says:

Sshhhh! Don’t give Hollywood any ideas!

• sammyglick says:

Some will definitely be against the movie due to sexism, but I feel that most men (as well as women) are not interested in a reboot of a cherished franchise. They could have put four popular male actors in the same Ghostbusters reboot and there would have been just as much criticism.

Sony should have done a sequel (staring all men, all women or a mixed cast) or a prequel set when the original Ghostbusters would have been in high school or college, than an uninspired reboot.

• Sexracist says:

So you are suggesting there is a perceived connection between this preview’s stunning lack of humor and originality and its conspiculously high vagina quotient… because male-oriented reboot cashgrabs are never shitty and stupid enough to inspire the internet’s disdain?

Your mission perpetuating the self-
      victimization of women has been a success!

• Dagmar says:

What a lazy and uninspired accusation. Cheer up. Things aren’t as bad as you wish them to be.

• Chizz says:

It’s not just because they’re women.

One of them is black too

21. This looks SO AMAZING!!!!! I am so excited!!! Ugh god. I got such tingles! Tingles!!! WHO YOU GONNA CALL? GHOSTBUSTERS!

• Kurt says:

This looks awful. Nobody is excited for this. Ugh, so bad. I cringed so hard. Cringe!!! What am I gonna see? Not this terrible piece of garbage reboot.

22. Ima Yutz says:

interesting how nothing in the trailer was funny at all.

23. Anonymous says:

This isn’t GHOSTBUSTERS. It’s SCOOBY DOO.

24. Bill says:

ZERO interest in this awful idea.

25. Dylan says:

Sorry, when the first thing you show in a trailer is “30 years ago, four scientists saved New York,” you not only acknowledge the originals as existing in this continuity now, but basically imply this is a sequel, not a reboot, right off the bat.
    This movie doesn’t know what it is.
    I also found the ghosts in this trailer to look too cartoonish. I don’t like the idea they are real actors in costumes and just CGIed up with some ghostly aura, and this coming from a person who actually prefers practical effects over CGI usually too. The bad CGI of the 80’s was almost an asset for making a ghost look spectral, in my opinion. I always felt the original sort of set the bar for what we think of as ghosts to a certain extent, and none of these in this trailer looked like that, except maybe Slimer.

26. thanks but i am goign to pass this is going to be a shit movie plain and simple. it isnt ghostbusters this is nothing more than trashing of a classic with a feminist view

27. DaveC310 says:

I loved the first movie, will definitely check this one out… the special effects have gotten better since the original. Hopefully they had a good script. Spirits possessing people isn’t a new twist, as the article states. Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis were taken over by spirits in the first movie…the gate keeper and the key master.

28. N Frederickson says:

Oh no…

29. D says:

What a Joke. They are trying to trick people into thinking it is a sequel , so they can get people to like it. The producers know it is trash and are doing damage control right out of the gate. They should of made this a passing of the torch movie with what is left of the original cast. With the new cast male and female.

30. Kim Keast says:

Seems like the only writers left in Hollywood, are comic book writers and that’s OK, if your only market is 18 year olds and younger.

• therealeverton says:

Still on that, proven to be false, idea that the majority age range of people who watch Comic book properties is 18 or under. Look up the statistics, you’re wrong.

Also there’s far more diverse talent than that, but “big” films have been a certain way for decades now, and remakes a staple for all but a century.

• Rena Moretti says:

I meant under 25, not 15.

• Rena Moretti says:

What little is left of Hollywood’s audience is mostly people under 15 who don’t have other alternatives for a night out with friends.

Box-Office numbers have been juked up for years to hide that sad state of affairs.

Of course, only making remakes, reboots, adaptations and re-imaginings worked wonders to thin that audience to its lowest possible level…

31. Kim Keast says:

I don’t think that “Ghost Busters” deserves a reboot. Star Trek had 13 movies before they rebooted. Spiderman has rebooted 4 times and still does not have a movie worthy of reboot. Get your story straight before you waste the money on reboots. If you can’t do an awesome sequel, Don’t bother with a reboot!

32. Alfred Sharpen Sr. says:

3 scientist with various degrees and one service sector working min wage who also happens to scream a lot for no apparent reason. Very lazy writing. A simple change from service sector worker to weird web blogger of all things paranormal and a fetish for Ghotstbusters’ past would’ve been more creative. Instead we get the usual cliche. I think I’ll pass on this one.

• Ken says:

Leslie Jones always screams a lot — she’s always yelling and screaming and acting belligerent on SNL. Every time she comes on, I cower in my sofa. Her shtick became real old real fast. I can’t honestly see myself paying 12-13 bucks to have her yelling at me from the big screen; it would give me a heart attack. Think I’ll pass on this one.

33. Jeff Chapman says:

“I didn’t like the idea of (the new Ghostbusters) being handed technology — ‘Here’s how to do this.’ I want to see it developed,” said Feig at the Wednesday event. “We give them their own original origin story and play with that.”

No but instead you did that with entire movie franchise. “Here this was popular before, lets do that” How about giving them an entire original movie franchise to play with.

34. me says:

uh. I. wow. this is bad.

35. Bob says:

Sorry, but with that opening you are selling it as a SEQUEL. Which is what it should be.

• Chip says:

I was actually thinking the same thing. You can’t dismiss the first two, citing that this new one is a reboot, and then acknowledge the first two films in the opening sequence of your trailer. In a reboot universe, all previous films about the subject matter never existed. But that’s just my opinion…

36. Tom Jones says:

I think I’m going to call The Hague because this movie is a crime against humanity…

37. Bob says:

I’m not one to come on the internet and bash something but this looks like a complete piece of shit. The ghosts look a lot better than they did in the 80’s but that’s about it. Wasn’t funny or original at all.
    Also, Leslie Jones is not funny. She’s the worst cast member on SNL hands down, IMO

38. Marc says:

This looks better than the first one, which was a cheesy mess.

39. Sjw says:

This years fantastic four

40. Jamal says:

Why was it necessary to remake this?

41. Adam says:

I predict box office bomb.

42. Mike says:

Doc Brown: Marty, we have to go back to the future!

Marty: Why, what happens in the future, do we become a**holes or something?

DB: No, no, no, no, no, Marty. Both you and Jennifer turn out fine. It’s your kids, Marty. Something gotta be done about your kids! The f*cked up Ghostbusters!

• Dylan says:

This comment wins the internet! Literally made me laugh out loud. Bravo, sir, for combining 2 of my childhoods favorite franchises!

43. Chaz says:

This looks just terrible, folks. Feig is sellout of the week.

44. Notes From The Inside says:

Uh, oh… Not. Looking. Good.

45. Marie says:

Sony, when will you ever learn?
    This makes me want to watch the first one, and I never had interest in it in the first place.

46. Quam says:

Not going to make it. Terrible idea from the beginning, and the casting is dreadful.

47. mrvicchio says:

Oh that was just… forced pain to watch. Seriously. I wanted to like this, but… if that trailer is a good indication of the tone of the movie… I l’ll pull my laser disc player out and watch the original..

48. Not real ghost buster says:

This looks awful. And pointless.

49. John Miller says:

I thought this was supposed to be a comedy. Comedies typically have laughs, right? Huh.

• CJ says:

Right! Now I understand why The Martian won a Golden Globe for best comedy. An astronaut doing chemistry equations to grow potatoes on Mars actually seems funnier than this.