Emily Blunt in Talks to Play Mary Poppins in Disney Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)

Emily Blunt Mary Poppins
Erik Pendzich/REX/Shutterstock

Emily Blunt is in talks to star in Disney’s sequel to “Mary Poppins” with Rob Marshall set to direct.

John DeLuca and Marc Platt will serve as producers on the pic. Sources say Blunt has always been the favorite since all four worked together on “Into the Woods.” With Disney looking to get the film into production soon, the studio recently met with the actress to discuss the idea of playing the magical nanny.

The deal is not yet set in stone due to scheduling. News recently broke that Blunt is expecting her second child, and that may play into her decision.

Insiders confirm the new film will take place in Depression-era London 20 years after the first film and will take story lines from P.L. Travers’ children books focusing on Poppins’ continued adventures with the Banks family.

The original 1964 film starred Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke in the story of a nanny who came to work for a banker’s unhappy family in pre-World War I England. The film was a huge hit, grossing $100 million at the box office, and earned five Oscars, including one for Andrews as best actress.

Disney has reaped rewards recently by turning classic animated pics like “Alice in Wonderland” and “Cinderella” into live-action hits, and is now turning its attention to its collection of live-action films.

Blunt has shown her range in comedies like “The Devil Wears Prada” and “Five Year Engagement,” action-heavy pics like “Sicario” and “Edge of Tomorrow” and adult dramas like the upcoming “The Girl on the Train.” Blunt can be seen next in “The Huntsman: Winter’s War.”

She is repped by CAA and the Artists Partnership.

1. Teresa Welby says:

I just sang the role of the Bird Woman, I don’t suppose the old woman is still alive? lol, boy would I love to be in that movie!

2. Ellen Collier says:

I’m so happy to see that “Mary Poppins” will be known to a new generation. Although she has some big “lace up, Victorian boots” to fill, I’m sure that Ms. Blunt will do Mary justice. So glad to hear that she can sing!
    All the best, Emily.
    P.S. I’m showing my fifth and sixth graders the original, so don’t disappoint them in the next version! Keep it pure and good and don’t let Hollywood distort that beautiful dream of my childhood, okay sweet angel? The faith and innocence of my kids is worth far more than “tuppence a bag”. Inspire them!

3. Yann Chollet says:

I write to France just to point out that contrary to what is said in your article, the return of Mary Poppins was designed as a musical in France, adpatée by Yann Chollet in 2010. It is therefore not a question of a new idea. Only Disney had stopped at the time my musical and today takes up the idea. This is not very surprising ? My texts were sent in 2010 Disney after we played with the French troupe this suite of Mary Poppins.

4. Brett Gentry says:

Emily has a big purse to fill.

5. therealeverton says:

English, great voice, great choice.

6. Hey, we broke this story in September. Bit off that you then call it an exclusive? denOfGeek.com

7. Agreed. And if there had to be a sequel/redone version, it would have to be ANNE HATHAWAY! She has Julie Andrew’s approval :)

8. Abby says:

I thought Disney did not have the rights to the other books.

9. Koko Brown says:

I think she’s a great choice. Lovely voice and great screen presence. I think perfect Burt might be harder to find.

10. Mikey says:

Why not make a musical of the London/Broadway show instead of a sequel? It’s such a beautiful, much darker take on “Poppins”. A brilliant adaptation that stands on its own rather than copying Disney…

11. Ken says:

Sorry Emily, but there is only one “Mary” — and she is the incomparable Julie Andrews.