Dylan O’Brien’s ‘Maze Runner: Death Cure’ Release Pushed Back to 2018

Maze Runner The Scorch Trials
Couretsy of 20th Century Fox

Fox has moved back its release for “The Maze Runner: The Death Cure” by nearly a year to Jan. 12, 2018, as star Dylan O’Brien recovers from his March 17 injuries after an on-set car accident.

Fox made the announcement Friday, a month after disclosing that resumption of principal photography on “Maze Runer: The Death Cure” had been delayed for a second time to allow O’Brien more time to fully recover from his injuries. The studio has not revealed when production will re-start.

The movie — the third in the Maze Runner trilogy — had been set for a Presidents Day weekend release date of Feb, 17, 2017. Wes Ball is directing the film. O’Brien’s character is on a mission to find a cure to the “Flare,” a deadly disease.

O’Brien was hit by a car and suffered multiple injuries on March 17 on the set in British Columbia. The 24-year-old actor was taken to a local hospital for observation and treatment following the accident.

The 2014 original grossed $102 million in U.S. receipts, and 2015 follow-up “The Scorch Trials” tallied $82 million in domestic box office.

Fox made several other release date announcements Friday, including dating “Alita: Battle Angel” for July 20, 2018. Rosa Salazar, who starred in “Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials,” has been tapped to play the female lead in “Battle Angel” with James Cameron producing and Robert Rodriguez directing.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 15

Leave a Reply

15 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Jeff Hobber says:

    this is stupid. i love maze runner and i cant wAIT till 2018

    • Meg says:

      You are stupid. This kid almost died, have some respect for that. He’ll recover but producers were obligated to postpone filming, and since they can’t make everyone wait indefinitely, they had to release everyone – that means hundreds of people who’d be out of a job for months waiting for production to resume – of their contracts and now other filming schedules inform the longer wait for this sequel. O’Brien is filming American Assassin, Rosa Salazar is filming Battle Angel Alita, etc. Be glad that the movie is getting made at all.

  2. Tillie says:

    How do we know that Jeff Davies interview was faked? Let’s not forget that before the accident, Dylan intended to do season 6 before the accident and he would have known about the possibility of American Assassin. Just please give me some proof that Jeff Davies interview was faked.

    • Kerri says:

      He said it himself. Check the Teen Wolf wikia news page. How anyone could believe that fabricated interview in the first place is beyoned me.

      • Meg says:

        Where is this article on teen wolf wikia where Jeff Davies says that the interview was faked? I can’t find it. Maybe you can post a link to it?

      • Tillie says:

        Checked the news pages. Couldn’t find any article where Jeff Davies says that the interview was fabricated. Maybe you could post a link to it? But I did find an article where he said that they always planned to work around Dylan’s schedule and had prepared for setbacks.

  3. That’s disappointing but Dylan has very busy schedule so I guess with everything else going on it’s not going to be possible for him to film until next year

    However the most important thing is that he fully recovers from his accident :) and gets a very very big bonus for his troubles

  4. So they dumped shailene Woolley? Good call but it will still suck.

  5. Helena says:

    The release date has been pushed back because Dylan is doing Teen Wolf and American Sniper. Plus Teen Wolf is happy to have him back even though he is still recuperating and can’t do his own stunts, whereas Wes wants him at full fitness. Given how the accident happened, Maze runner probably have to sort out loads of health and safety stuff as well.

    • Laura says:

      Oh, sweetheart. You know he’s not going back to Teen Wolf, don’t you? No actor who’s been tapped to be the protagonist in two big franchises and has a movie coming out with Marky Mark and a whole bunch of A listers would go back to that. You’ll all have to accept eventually that he won’t be in more than two episodes the coming season, and those are the ones he already filmed. Boy is on the fast lane!

      • Kerri says:

        @Penny: Penny, sweetheart, Dylan has never said such a thing; on contrary, he said he doesn’t want to stay on TW until he’s 30. All those Jeff Davies interviews you’re talking about were confirmed fake, he never said how much Dylan will appear in season 6. All we know for sure is that he filmed for one week before going to shoot TDC. That’s about 1 or 2 episodes. And he hasn’t filmed anything since the accident because he hasn’t been well. They are already filming episodes 8-9 right about now, so you do the math and see much he’s going to appear in 6A.

      • Penny says:

        Laura, sweetheart, have you not seen the many articles where Jeff Davies confirmed that Dylan will be in the whole series accept maybe the third episode. And that both Dylan and Tyler have both said that they will never leave Teen Wolf.

      • Laura says:

        By the way, it’s American Assassin, not Sniper.

  6. Kevin says:

    Glad the fans will see this franchise end.

More Film News from Variety

Loading