AMC Entertainment CEO Open to Allowing Texting in Some Theaters

AMC Entertainment CEO Open to Allowing
Caiaimage/REX Shutterstock

Adam Aron has been head of AMC Entertainment for less than four months, but in that short time he’s already orchestrated one of the most significant deals in the country’s history. In February, AMC announced that it has an agreement to buy Carmike, propelling it from being the second-biggest exhibitor in the country to the world’s top movie theater chain.

Aron has a diverse resume, having been head of Starwood Hotels and Resorts, CEO and co-owner of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team, chairman and CEO of Vail Resorts and president and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line. But in an industry dominated by lifers, he is a newcomer to the exhibition space.

That’s giving him a willingness to experiment. He’s pushing to expand AMC’s food options, bolster its loyalty program and market more aggressively. Some moves may ruffle feathers. In a bid to attract younger, smartphone savvy consumers, Aron said he was open to making some theaters texting and mobile device-friendly.

That may make him unpopular. When Regal Entertainment CEO Amy Miles mused in 2012 that theaters should consider experimenting with relaxing cellphone bans, the blowback was intense.

Aron sat down with Variety during CinemaCon, the annual exhibition trade show unfolding this week in Las Vegas, to discuss the planned merger with Carmike, ticketing advances and Screening Room, the controversial start-up that wants to debut movies in the home the same day they hit theaters.

You’ve worked in a number of different industries, but you’re new to exhibition. What perspective do you bring?

Coming in fresh, it seems like there’s lots of opportunity to propel revenues or to give consumers better experiences. AMC has been a leader in that regard for a few years now, but I think we will pick up even more of a reputation for that going forward. Already, having been here a couple of months, I know we can step up our marketing activity in a big way. The food that we serve in our theaters can be much more exciting than the current stable of chicken tenders, hot dogs, pizza, in addition to the standard soda and popcorn and candy. A lot of change is possible in this industry for the betterment of our shareholders and our customers.

Marketing costs money. Why do you think it’s worth the expense?

Next year, assuming the Carmike acquisition is consummated, AMC is going to have in the neighborhood of $4 billion worth of revenue. It’s almost irresponsible for a company with $4 billion worth of revenue on the line not to aggressively market. That’s one of the things that can ensure that the $4 billion comes in, and that’s one of the things that can ensure that more than $4 billion comes in. We wouldn’t be spending for additional marketing if we didn’t think we’d be driving big revenue gains.

Are there particular demographics that you plan to target with your marketing?

We ought to be looking at three things. People who are already interested in movies and maybe in a big way, where if we up our game, we could get them to come to more movies. That’s one of the reasons to have a better loyalty program with bigger, broader participation, because loyalty programs work. We can convince people who think they are seeing the most movies they can possibly see to go to more movies.

The second is market share we can take from our competitors if we market AMC better than they market their theaters.

And third, there does seem to be a consensus that there are pockets of consumers who do not see as many movies as other segments of the population and that we can be doing more to attract those people. Millennials come to mind. We need to reshape our product in some concrete ways so that millennials go to movie theaters with the same degree of intensity as baby boomers went to movie theaters throughout their lives.

Would appealing to millennials involve allowing texting or cellphone use?

Yes. When you tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone, don’t ruin the movie, they hear please cut off your left arm above the elbow. You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That’s not how they live their life.

At the same time, though, we’re going to have to figure out a way to do it that doesn’t disturb today’s audiences. There’s a reason there are ads up there saying turn off your phone, because today’s moviegoer doesn’t want somebody sitting next to them texting or having their phone on.

Would you have a certain section for texting?

That’s one possibility. What may be more likely is we take specific auditoriums and make them more texting friendly.

There are reports that you have signed a letter of intent to partner with Screening Room. What is your position on the company?

I’m not commenting publicly on Screening Room. I know it’s a topic of hot debate amongst my brethren and sister-en, and I prefer to keep our counsel private right now. Until such time as Screening Room is real, we don’t have to spend a lot of time talking about it publicly.

How open are you to different distribution strategies that might modify the theatrical window?

For all the talk of the Paramount test a year ago [Editor’s note: AMC signed a deal that allowed the studio to debut two films on home entertainment early] and all the talk of Screening Room now, you may be surprised to hear that I think windows are very important. There’s a lot of evidence that shorter windows put theatrical exhibitors at risk. Studios themselves benefit from posting big global box office numbers, which comes from theatrical distribution.

So I start from a general premise that I’m a big fan of windows. Having said that, I’m also a big fan of experimenting and testing on everything that we do to see if there aren’t alternative ways of doing business. I generally look at our 385 theaters as laboratories where we can test lots of different concepts without being afraid that there’s going to be a cataclysmic, sky’s falling in, if we do. I believe in innovation and being imaginative and forward thinking. There are some bedrock principles though.

What are those bedrock principles?

I have two bedrock principles and only two bedrock principles. One is that it’s our burden as managers of the company that runs movie theaters to make sure that the moviegoing experience is as wonderful and spectacular as it possibly can be. The surest way to grow our business and protect it against erosion is to make sure that going to an AMC theater is a pleasing and memorable experience.

The second is the consumer is king. Giving the consumer more choices, more amenities and price points. If we put ourselves in the head of our customer and design our theatrical experience and marketing activity to make their lives better, we’ll have a successful company. Other than that we’ll be flexible and willing to experiment.

Where are you in terms of closing the Carmike acquisition?

There are really only two hurdles to go through. Carmike’s shareholders have to vote to approve the transaction. I expect that’s going to be some time in June. I don’t think they’ve set a date.

We need to get through the Justice Department approval, but we’re optimistic that we will get through both of these hurdles. The contract we have with Carmike requires that we get through this a year from the date of the merger transaction, so early in the first quarter of 2017. It would be nice if we could get it done before that.

What does the merger do for AMC?

By putting together the No. 2 and No. 4 players in the industry, we create a new No. 1 player. There’s extraordinary amounts of research that say that No. 1 players in industries are often the most successful players in their industries. If that turns out to be true, I’d rather be the No. 1 player than the No. 2 player.

Why did you recently sign a deal with ticketing app, Atom Tickets?

They’ve got a great social media platform where when you buy a ticket for a Wednesday night at 7:00 show, it sends a text message to all your friends asking if they want to go to the theater and sit next to you. They click a couple of buttons and your friend can buy a ticket at the same theater and showtime in a reserved seat. That’s a great concept and that’s one of the ways that we can make it easier for Millennials — who live on social media — to meet up with their friends in movie theaters.

Megan Fox delivered a pizza to your seat during Paramount’s CinemaCon presentation this week. What was that experience like?

They took the pizza away as quickly as they delivered it. It was warm, and I could smell it, but we didn’t get to eat it. I can’t tell you how it tasted, but in terms of who and how it was delivered, I can tell you that’s the best pizza delivery I’ve ever had.

1. Joseph Getti says:

There is an app launching this month (January 2017) called Cinetext, the world’s first messaging app that lets you text in movie theaters without disturbing people around you. I think Cinetext will be a much better solution to the texting problem than Apple’s ‘theater mode.’ It states on its landing page that they designed Cinetext for people who text during movies just as much as for the people who don’t. This means that Cinetext is virtually invisible in sight and sound to everyone but the user. I think Cinetext will be a top contender for Best App of 2017! Check them out.

2. Zoe says:

As a 24 year old, I don’t get to go to the movies a lot. It’s expensive and most of my generation is underemployed working for next to nothing making dollars an hour BELOW living wages – that is the wages required to pay for rent, food, gas, and bills… you know, the essentials… that kind of makes it difficult to shell out 12 dollars to enjoy entertainment that is only going to last for 2 hours… not to mention the outrageous prices if you want to be able to enjoy snacks or a drink while watching your movie which can often turn moving going into a 25 dollar 2 hour adventure! That’s why millennials aren’t going to the movies the same way their baby boomer counterparts did. We cannot afford to. It has nothing to do with texting. I find it very rude to text in a movie theater and am incredibly insulted that *that*’s how the older generation thinks they should appeal to me. Texting? Really? That implies that all of the struggles my generation faces financially don’t actually exist and the *ONLY* reason we would not want to go to the movies is because we can’t use our phones… Though the past 3 times I’ve been to the movies (which have all been this year, 2016), the only people I’ve seen on their phones (which, again, is incredibly disruptive) have been middle aged people.

At the end of the day, don’t reinvent the wheel to try to get us to go to the movies, lower your prices. Offer special college days. Appeal to us financially, and we’ll come.

3. I have been having Ideas on a movie. To be specific Speed Racer. When i saw movie i fell in love with racing. I Believe that kids would love to see Speed Racer part 2. I have alot of ideas on this part 2. I would love to be included in the movie. My part would be Ben Burn’s son no one ever knew about and wanting training from Speed racer.

4. Kari says:

This makes me so freaking mad! Seriously, Adam Aaron, are you a complete idiot? Millennials could care less about not having their phone in a theater. Usually I see pre and early teens texting and middle aged people answering phone calls in movie theaters. My problem with going to a movie is money. As a normal (actually slightly better off) millennial I have a house my husband and I own, but have to have four roommates to pay the bills. Both of us have decent steady jobs and my husband is considering taking on a second, so it’s not like we’re working for minimum wage either. Our debts are the house and my car, both we bought for under their worth and in a relatively low price range. And yet I have barely any spare money for doing anything. If I have $20 in spare money for the month after bills and groceries, am I spending it on the same movie I saw last year that I can watch for much cheaper or free in 3 months, or am I spending that on a new pair of shoes for work that I can use multiple times, or something actually that’s a unique experience like a painting class with my friends, or heck even just saving it? My point exactly. NO ONE THAT ISN’T ALREADLY REGULARLY GOING TO THE MOVIES CAN AFFORD TO GO. If you get that through your thick skulls then maybe you could focus on dropping prices and getting actually good movies.

5. Ellie says:

The last few times I’ve been to a movie theater, the people who were obnoxious were either middle aged people or families who brought children that were inappropriately young. I went to see Star Wars and the middle aged man in front of me was drunk and loud and the couple to my right had a two year old who got scared multiple times and kept crying that he wanted to go home. If it was once I’d chalk it up to a bad experience, but this kind of thing seems to happen too often.

I work at a university and thus work with a lot of millennials and as much as millennials are judged for being on their phones, my coworkers are just as bad. All the people here complaining about what the young people are doing need to take a good look at themselves because I’m sure many of them are just as bad. (I don’t use my phone but that’s because I never really got into the whole smartphone thing and still just have a basic phone that does calls and a few texts.)

6. Sheila says:

Adam Aron is a typical out-of-touch Hollywood corporate shill. If he thinks allowing texting and other obnoxious behavior will actually bring people BACK to movie theaters, he’s off his rocker. I know for a fact that a sizeable group of former movie-lovers and movie-goers no longer attend movie theaters precisely because of all the rude cell phone usage that distracts from watching the movie. The millennials have a serious addiction problem with their phones and it encourages anti-social behavior. AMC should not be encouraging this.

7. John says:

With all the problems that presently exists I can’t believe you would say something like Millennials can’t go 2 and a half hours without their phone? Hello …….
    a Amazon fire stick can help with this issue

8. Entitled Losers says:

“You can’t tell a 22 year old to turn off their cell phone…” What the heck is this? The “entitled generation” wasn’t born with that phone in their hand, and it’s high time they learned that! You CAN tell them to turn it off because I see it done every day. You fire their sorry selves if they’re that rooted in the “selfie” mentality. I know in my role anyone that can’t put down that phone when they need to have their mind somewhere else gets shown the door!

• Shannon says:

Congratulations! You are the 10,000th person to say that yes, you can tell them to turn it off! You have just won a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat!

9. Jim says:

Anyone who can’t do without their cellphone for 2 hours is an idiot!!

10. Scarlette says:

With the amount of money I spend on tickets etc. I do not want to have my movie time ruined by some inconsiderate kid who can’t put down their phone. Why go if you’re just going to be texting?

11. Barbara Schaarschmidt says:

I’m really surprised by the comments here. When I go to a movie, there are always a few people with their phones out. If there was a “phone friendly” section, or “phone friendly” screenings, those people could take advantage of that, and I could go to a different screening or section where they wouldn’t be there to bother me. Seems like a great idea.

12. john says:

thanks for the waning. I will stay at home

• Please…..There is no need to bother other people with your “urgent” cell phone messages. For 90 minutes you can just relax and not bother other people with your B.S.. As Jack Warner said” a movie over 90 minutes is not do able”. So get over it and quit being selfish and think of the people that have saved all week to take their 2 kids to the movies and all of a sudden… Bam… You have to see a selfish BS millenial with their phone…..PLEASE!!! SPARE ME. No more AMC for me and the kids if the policy is iniated

• Shannon says:

Damn. You have a lot of anger in you, it seems. lol Anyway… if you Google it, AMC actually listened to everyone and has backed out of their plans.

13. Peggy Datz says:

“You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off his cellphone” ?? Excuse me, you certainly can, in a theater. But you don’t start by phrasing it as an order. You say, “Excuse me, but your cell screen, as small as it is, is really distracting. Maybe you could stand in the back, where it won’t bother anybody. Thank you ” We don’t have to think that texters are out to annoy us on purpose, but they can be pretty clueless and insensitive, and we do have a choice about how much technology we’re going to accept in some situations. This idea that all technology that people get in the habit of using is sacred, and anybody who objects is a sour old killjoy is the reason why we’ve long since had to get used to car alarms and leaf blowers disturbing the little silence we have left.

• Exactly…You can tell them to turn if OFF…I am so sick of pandering to the “Millenials” I have two of my own and they know the rules….No cell phones, no texting at the movies…For Gods sake what is this bullshit? that AMC wants to offer up….No more AMC for me if that is the case. Period! That is the problem….these kids have no bounderies! GIVE THEM SOME and kick them out of the theater if they violate them PERIOD!

• Susan T Case says:

“You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off his cellphone”
      Yes. You. Can.

14. David says:

Adam Aron is clueless. He should be fired now. Does he really think people come to the movies to listen to people talk or text on their cell phones. This guy needs a reality check. 95% Against cell phones in cinemas is not surprising or rocket science.

15. PJ says:

You must be joking…………………anyone of any age can put the device down!! Should this come to pass you can rest assured no more AMC for me.

16. As a Gen-X/Millennial tweener who teaches college students…yes, you absolutely can tell a 22 year-old to put his or her phone down. The notion that Millennials are so attached to their phones that they can’t do anything else is insane, and reeks of a horrific misreading of the demographic. This is the same generation that loves going to music festivals and doing outdoor activities. They are more than capable of putting their phone down if you can hold attention; it’s not like you see kids staring at their smartphones when Flume or Migos is on stage. They also know when it’s not appropriate to have their phone on – if you can get them to not play on their phone during a lecture or in a professional setting, they’ll put it down during a movie.

Millennials grew up in an era where there’s tons of entertainment options and screens galore. They don’t eschew movie theaters because they’re deprived of texting for 2 hours, they just don’t want to pay the overpriced cost of seeing a big screen if they can watch it later on any number of streaming services on their own time. You want Millennials to show up and not piss off the rest of us moviegoers? Provide content that’s compelling and markedly different when experienced on the big screen than on a smartphone or home television screen. Oh, and enough of these 3 hour-long Michael Bay produced messes – go back to run times around 90-100 minutes like in the 1980s. It’s that simple. Instead, we’ve got another overpaid business doofus blindly assuming he knows what “the kids” want these days and trying gimmicky crap instead of improving his product.

17. Charles Aster says:

I am a huge movie fan and love to go to the movies. But the moment AMC or any chain starts allowing incredibly annoying texting that is the END of my going to their movie theaters.
    And yes you can tell millennials to stop texting and be polite to others. Holy cow are we that lame as parents and companies that we cant say enough is enough, if you want to text do it so it does not ruin the experience for others. God only knows what manners the AMC’s Aron’s kids have!

18. Susan says:

Never! I would never attend such a theater

19. trmoore2 says:

Mr Aron? Bad idea. After 10 years, movie goers have finally accepted it’s BAD ETIQUETTE to text in a movie. The filmmakers are trying to cast a spell on the audience so they can escape reality. Why would you want to ruin this experience?

20. Phone Cord says:

I miss phone cords.

Get the phone out of your hands idiots. Please are such drones.

Dumbest idea ever. Calling AMC right now to cancel my reward program with them. No longer will I attend their theater. How stupid!!!!

21. sam smith says:

Hell NO!!!! I don’t care if a 22 year olds attention span is the length of a flea, or that they have no social graces or skills, but DON”T pander to them and allow them to continue to be disrespectful to everyone around them! Turn your fu*$(%&&$*@ing phone off and live a little for two hours with out the damn thing! AGGHHHHHHH!

22. Bret Gordon says:

Might as well turn on the lights while the movie is on. No need for darkness as we’ll all be blinded by the flashlights shining around the theatre. It’s also a sad testament to hollywood as, apparently, their movies aren’t entertaining enough to convince a millennial to put the phone down for 2 hours. I for one vote against this.

23. Daniel Kinske says:

Well, you might as well go one step further and put a twenty-two year old in charge of AMC as I’m sure some of them have more sense than the current CEO.

24. AC says:

“Would you have a certain section for texting?

That’s one possibility.”

They already have a certain section for texting. It’s called the lobby.

What’s next urinals in the theatre for folks who don’t want to get up to go? Just as “you can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone,” you can’t ask an 78 year old to hold it for 2 hours. Put a few urinals in the texting theatres and you kill three birds with one stone: you can take a leak while tweeting that you’re watching a movie.

25. I think a protest is in order. I’d like to go down and lead a crowd in saying “No texting here!”

• laura yuhas says:

no protest needed…..just won’t be going to the movies anymore. Movies come out so fast on DVD anyway…..I can wait. I love going to the movies as an escape. If it becomes aggravating with that little white light on all the time…..I’m done

26. John says:

I declare war on AMC feedlot cinema with this (Chinese owned) corporate-valued_____.
    I own the independent cinema in Laramie, Wyoming. No guns in the building. No “on” digital devices in the auditorium. No public access. Members only. I plan to destroy AMC’s top line revenue projections if they come into Laramie to “compete” with Regal’s Fox Theater. The last thing Laramie needs is as many first run movie screens as Cheyenne, which is 3-5 times as big, depending if the university is in session or not. Corporate-valued scum only think of money…and doing as much damage to the finances of families as they can to see more ____

27. Wandi says:

This may be the nail in the coffin of AMC. Movie theater attendance how been down for years, as people realize it is not exactly cheap. If you are spending upwards of $12-13 on a movie ticket, it is quite reasonable to expect that your experience not be ruined by a bunch of ADD millennials who cant sit through a movie without checking their facebook, texts, and hook up apps.

good riddance

28. Jean says:

I will no longer go to AMC theaters if they allow texting during the movie. If you can’t do without your phone for 2 hours don’t go to a movie. The bright light from a phone will be distracting. Especially if there’s numerous people doing it. BAD IDEA!!!

29. burt says:

WTF? Sometimes a “CEO” like Aron with his “diverse resume” should just let other people speak for him and keep their crazy ideas to themselves. (i.e. Starbucks) Here’s a novel idea! How about slashing overpriced popcorn/soda prices below the competition…

• burt says:

The only thing a millennial can afford in this job market is their mobile device and car. Slash your prices and the concession stand.

• Shannon says:

I am a millennial and I make 7-15 times minimum wage… so I can afford to go to the movies. If the concessions are too expensive, then just don’t eat or drink for a couple hours… or bring a glass of your own… they’ll fill it with ice and you can fill it with water. It’s not rocket science.

30. Reserved seating and texting in film theaters? Really? AMC is dead to me. I’ll sit where I choose, and if some idiot refuses to turn off his phone in the theater – I might just drop my popcorn on their head in retaliation :-)

• I like reserved seating, honestly. I hate going way early to see a movie just to reserve a spot. Previews and all the other pre-movie crap are just obnoxious; if there’s a trailer I really want to see, I’ll watch it on YouTube. It’s way more convenient to pick your seat beforehand and roll up a couple minutes before showtime at your leisure. Plus, you don’t have to deal with those annoying people who block off a whole row or two for their friends or family who aren’t there yet. You still have a choice in seating, you just do it before entering the theater.

But texting? Yeah, that’s a no-no.

• … and i’m a GenX-er btw.

31. Ron Quintana says:

Guess I won’t be going to any AMC theatre anymore if the company allows texting while movie plays.
    What a wimpy company. They will do anything for a buck and don’t care about common courtesy….

32. JR says:

If your attention span is so pathetic you can’t sit through a 90 min – 2 hr movie without staring at your stupid phone, stay home.

33. Timothy says:

Thank you AMC for broadcasting the Metropolitan Opera Live in HD performances! They are fabulous.

34. brainmatters says:

My husband and I (and everyone we discuss this with) haven’t been to a movie in years (five, I think) because the theaters here do not ban this practice. Maybe they have by now, but we won’t even know as we quit going in disgust. We buy the movie from iTunes if we can’t wait for the rental and watch it in our (darkened and phone-free) living room. In addition to being phone free, it is also perfume-free, no one talks during the film but ourselves, and the popcorn is way cheaper.

35. jjaye says:

Great way to eliminate the few people that are still going to the movies. If you are so childish that you can’t sit through a movie without texting, stay at home and play on the floor

36. Joe Myers says:

Oh hell no. If you’re going to a movie you be respectful of the other people in the theater and either turn off your phone or at the very least, silence it and leave the auditorium if you absolutely have to text or take a call. Don’t pander to asshats that think their phone is a part of them.

37. RGF says:

Adam Aron: “You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone.”

Sure you can, you do it like this: “Turn off you cellphone!”

38. John says:

If Gen Xers and Baby Boomers could stop stereotyping an entire generation of people that’d be great. As a millenial I find this to be an absolutely awful idea. You might as well just put an “a**holes only” sign over the theater. I’ve been to plenty of theaters, filled with mostly millenials, and nobody was using their phone. The idea that 20-somethings simply can’t put their phone away is total nonsense.

• couldn’t agree with you more; it’s a matter of being considerate, and that isn’t limited to a specific demographic.

• Daniel Kinske says:

True and ageism is dangerous in any form. Whether twenty-two or the last living American (Susannah Mushatt Jones, born July 6, 1899 and pushing 117) from the 19th century, everyone should be treated the same, until they prove themselves otherwise. This will cause all ages of inconsiderate people to continue to be inconsiderate, not a good idea, but who knows, I’m just as fallible as the next Generation Texter (which is anyone with a cell phone.)

39. Lisa WH says:

I will never patronize your theatres if texting while watching is allowed. Thanks for the heads up!

40. Bert says:

AMC IF YOU DO THIS I WILL NEVER GO TO YOUR MOVIE THEATER. That is a promise

41. Brent M says:

This is nothing but blatant pandering and enabling to an already-spoiled generation with an unbridled sense of entitlement. If people (especially younger viewers) can’t sit long enough to get through a movie without having to play with their cell phones, then they should just stay home and watch movies there. Please don’t bother those of us who take our moviegoing experiences seriously with your annoying lack-of-attention-span habits.

• JR says:

In fairness, I see plenty of people who are older than millennials who can’t resist the urge to text. Rudeness and inconsideration are not unique to twenty- or thirty-somethings.

42. sonofmrpeanut says:

I have said this elsewhere, and I’ll say it here: This is clearly the work of out-of-touch execs who are attempting to pander to the caricature of they think a “millennial” is. They would all do well to watch Adam Conover’s speech at Deep Shift.

I’m proud to see that most people on my social network feeds placing the blame on the idiots at AMC who thought this was a good idea instead of the “millennial” scapegoat you’d expect them to.

43. AMC will lose me and my husband as customers. Will just go to Regal, or B and B. Favorite theater has been AMC, but if this happens, I will take my business elsewhere.

44. Miguel Lee says:

Am utterly gob smacked and horrified beyond belief that you AMC, are even considering allowing texting in your theaters. By doing this you are not only SERIOUSLY COMPROMISING the integrity of the motion picture experience in general, but you are ENABLING what has got to be the absolute worst form of communication break-down in the history of the human species. You think you’re somehow ‘facilitating’ younger audiences by encouraging them to throw every bit of GodD*mn respect for the legacy of the moving image AND the people sitting around them out the f**king window? Think again, you will in fact be LOSING ten times more patrons if you pass this rule, than you’ll ever gain from it. Mark me.

45. G619 says:

I more worried about being searched before entering the theatre than this non-sense

46. Corrie says:

Texting in theaters? Dumbest idea I’ve heard in many, many years.

47. Bethany says:

If AMC begins to allow texting during a movie, I will take my business elsewhere!!!
    Special section for texting won’t help. Light from the cell phone will be seen from every seat in the theater.
    Texting in a movie theater is like poison in your blood stream. A little bit will kill the moment.

48. I think it’s ridiculous to allow texting during movies just to appeal to “millennials”! A movie theater, believe it or not, is still one of the few places you can go for an hour and a half or two and not have to see everyone on their phones. People are on their phones enough all day, and now you want to ruin movie time! I can tell you that you will have a theater full of teenagers and you will see less non-millennial people at your movie theater. I wouldn’t go to a movie and pay $15+ to see a movie where everyone is on their phone!

49. Patti says:

This will effectively shut down the theatre-going crowd. There may be some who go but there will be plenty of others who seek a different kind of movie watching experience. The lighting in the cinema and no distractions is so vital to this art form. Please drop this idea.

50. Costs nothing to be polite says:

Please, just no. If you can’t turn off your effing phone, please don’t go to a movie in public there’s Netflix and a thousand options to watch at home.