What Carrie Fisher, David Bowie, Prince and Muhammad Ali Taught Us

What We Learned from Carrie Fisher,
Rex/Shutterstock

Nothing I can say will make the losses of 2016 hurt less. But it’s possible to take something from this year’s long parade of deaths (which, for me, include a personal loss).

When someone famous dies, and we mourn and feel the pain of a lost connection, it’s because that celebrity transmitted something important into the world. They didn’t just make art that we remember and cherish, they put messages into the world in the way they lived their lives. These were ideas we needed to hear, and those wild and unruly transmissions changed us — and the culture around us.

As 2017 dawns, we will undoubtedly still be in mourning, and quite probably afraid that this difficult year was a mere tune-up for what’s to come. A terrifying thought, that. Scraps of comfort are hard to come by.

But when I can, I’m thinking about how we can build on what people like Carrie Fisher, Muhammad Ali, Prince, and David Bowie taught us.

• From David Bowie, we learned how to create our own realities and personas and effortlessly slip from one identity into another, and still stay true to the our own personal spirit of innovation and revolution. We explored planets and galaxies with Bowie, who found those faraway places inside our hearts and minds, even as he made us cry and dance. He was the trickster who knew we are all weirdos, and he told us that was our secret strength.
  • From Prince, we learned to question everything and find joy and communion even in the excavation of deep pain and profound longing. Everyone was accepted in Prince’s world, regardless of sexuality, regardless of background, regardless of creed, as long as every entrant to the Purple Domain was prepared to let go and find the divine in the funky, and vice versa. Prince taught us to let go and be ourselves and see what fantastical energies would be released as a result.
  • From Muhammad Ali, we learned how to be poets, to be prophets, to be true our beliefs even when it felt like the entire world was against us. Ali would have been a legend in his chosen sport even if he’d never given an interview. But it was his advocacy, his patience and his unbelievable steadfastness that made him into so much more than a mere legend. He was an example of someone who remade the world around him by never relinquishing the core of what mattered to him, and by communicating those beliefs in the most memorable and evocative way possible. His passionate joy and his righteous anger, combined with his charisma, made him the Greatest of All Time.
  • From Carrie Fisher, we learned that the world will try to put you into a category and make sure you stay inside it, but you can pick up a space blaster, blow apart that tiny little cell and rescue yourself. Carrie taught all of us — but especially women and girls — that an appetite for adventure and an irreverent attitude will get you everywhere, on this planet and far beyond, and that you shouldn’t wait for someone else to write your story or lead your army. Hollywood has little use for women over the age of 25, for women who speak their mind, for women who are irreverent, and for people who are open about their mental illness. Carrie Fisher gave zero shits about all of that. When she told her stories and shared her brutally, hilarious truths, we all felt less alone. Carrie was unashamedly and unapologetically herself. She said what she thought and she cut through sky-high walls of bullshit in her own way, and she made everyone love her as she did it. She did her best to be kind and she was a tireless advocate for those with mental illness. She was a heroine. And she wasn’t a space princess, she was a queen. (And a General.)

Losing these people is hard. Many more famous people died this year, of course, and every one of those losses stings. This year has been full of bad news, and being forced to say goodbye to so many brilliant hearts, spectacular spirits and unique minds is the icing on one hell of a nightmare cake.

But of all we’ve lost, I think about these four people all the time, possibly because every one of them had a lot in common with my irreplaceable and irreverent mom. When those who loom large in our memories and imaginations leave us, old currents of grief can surge forward again, even if we never met those people. But didn’t we, in a way?

Whatever the future holds, we can’t say we really loved these artists and advocates unless we’re willing to help each other in the new year and beyond. We’ll show our love for those we’ve lost by following their examples and being ferocious about what we believe in, but never forgetting to be ferociously kind. We’ll make mistakes, and we’ll be honest about it, and we’ll try to work as hard as they did, never forgetting to dance and laugh and create joy when we can.

We’ll honor their legacies by having compassion for those who need it, strapping on our space boots and saving ourselves.

1. fionamurden says:

Sorry you are gone. I borrowed your image to write about why we grieve over those we’ve never met. Thanks for the article….

2. Definitely Learned Lots From the Great People. May they rest in peace ❤️

3. Thank you Maureen, for putting these emotions into words…words that sing true, to carry us into next year with renewed hope.

4. sLelPXILDdepj4QMO66qxMpWoWtZPajMT/myWnje0/g= says:

This is a very nice article, however, the true story behind the deaths of some of these famous people is still hidden. There are lawyers and people in the industry who have murdered people like Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston and Elvis Presley in order to gain control over their songs. When stars like these die, their record sales soar. This is big business $$ and for some of them their murders, yes murders, have been covered up in our very own courts. These horrendous crimes both by people in the industry and in our court systems should be reported on. I just published a book chronicling the true story behind Michael Jackson’s murder, the Conrad Murray set up and cover up by the courts themselves and the murders of Prince, Whitney Houston and Elvis Presley. I’d be more than happy to supply more information.

5. rednaxelat says:

Let alone Leonard Cohen, whose wisdom ran so deep it went far beyond love.

6. Jailbird_Joey says:

Mo, have been appreciating your own contribution to the tapestry, since discovering the Talking Tv podcast a while ago,,,thanks for your passionate + insightful work // cheers

7. winchelll says:

under the moonlight tour
    best one i ever was at
    thx mr bowie
    and yes the moon was out that night as it shone on thy blue suede suit…

8. Sexracist says:

What they taught us:

1. No matter how rich and famous you are, you still wind up dead.

2. There is no shortage of people who will look to use a famous person’s death as a way to draw attention to themselves, typically through some kind of ostentatious mourning process.

9. Jaime says:

Heartfelt article, Mo. I’ve spent the year mourning for all these artists, mourning for people I never met. As you so eloquently stated, it’s because of how they made me feel about myself, and others in the world and how they made me feel that it was okay to be myself. Thanks for such a heartfelt sincere article. I am so very sorry for your personal loss.

10. How very beautiful, eloquent and inspiring. This article is so very heartfelt, every word resonated with me, and I thank you for that.
    Sorry for your loss, and all the best for 2017. x

11. Dave says:

Thanks you for this. I commented on two other Variety article in a very critical manner (I believe rightfully) a moment ago. I know… I should just ignore the blatant self-promoting that goes on everywhere. My bad.

But this – after so many political-leaning articles by you Maureen – hits home I also lost my mother this summer. I don’t “feel” these celebrity losses like many do, but it helps to remember that no matter who you are, where you are, how old you are (I’m 58), death has hit us all. If not in 2016, someday past or future. Hope you’ve had a Blessed and Merry Christmas, Maureen!

12. michael Infante says:

I normally am not emotionally touched by the death of a celebrity.I don’t know if it was because of my fondness for her mom ,our ages being equal ,enjoyment of her movie roles which “Blues Brothers” being my favorite or her self written and performed show where she explained her slightly bumpy life that made us all feel good about our own fallacies.Not only was she a ledgend and a leader , she had that very uncommon ability to make us all feel good about ourselves and believe that she was one of us no matter what we are. Her leadership was first class and on the money and we really need more of her brave and truthfull words of wisdom that made us laugh but taught us at the same time.R.I.P. Carrie you were truly a brave and fearless teacher of life while making us laugh as a world class actress.

13. Anne K Johnson says:

In addition to these four wonderful people I also lost my husband of 51 years I had named my son Ali after Muhammad Ali and
    two of his favorite singers were Prince and George Michael, and Carrie Fisher was a woman after my own heart who said my mouth Works faster than my brain I will really miss her and all of them and all I can say is f*** 2016

14. crossie says:

That everyone dies?

15. Being happily, unapologetically myself, every minute of the time that have been given to me, it’s the lesson that I receive every time I lose someone I loved.

16. Rudy Mario says:

Total crap. Here are the real worthy tale home lessons.

Do not do drugs (Repeat it 5 times a day).

From Ali, the take home lesson is:

Save your head from head injuries/trauma, no matter what sport you play.

17. SPIKE says:

nice. i’ll second that.

18. Mo, that’s a helluva piece of writing. Truthful, passionate, fearless and loving. Your mom would be proud.