In a Weibo social media blog posting Bona said that it would release “The Revenant” on March 18.
Local film news site Mtime reports that the film had originally been eyeing a mid-February release in China, but that the delay will allow cuts to be made.
China’s censors are expected to require multiple cuts due to the film’s graphic violence.
The country has no film rating system and approved movies must be deemed suitable for audiences of all ages.
It is also being reported that Leonardo DiCaprio, who won the best actor Oscar for his performance in the film, will visit China to promote the film’s Middle Kingdom release, which will be jointly handled by Bona, China Film Group and Alpha Pictures.
“The Revenant” was one of a trio of New Regency movies co-financed by Taiwan’s Catchplay and Hong Kong’s Alpha, giving Catchplay rights in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Alpha is controlled by Guanzhou-based Alpha Animation. Other films under the deal were “Splinter Cell” and “Assassin’s Creed.”
The Bona blog says that the company acquired “Room” during the Toronto film festival in September last year. It is currently negotiating a release date, but may decide on a non-theatrical outing instead.