Flagship Entertainment, the joint venture between Warner Bros., China Media Capital and broadcaster TVB, unveiled its first 12 movie projects to be made in China.
Titles include: “Crater,” “Chinese Wall Street,” a Chinese remake of “Miss Congeniality” and “Mission Milano,” and $150 million budget actioner “MEG”
The company was established last year with its legal headquarters in Hong Kong. Its mandate is both local and international.
“We want Flagship to make high quality Hong Kong and Chinese films of every genre, for audiences around the world,” said Tsujihara, Wednesday. “Flagship’s structure will be open to young film makers.”
Also in attendance at the launch event were: film maker Andrew Lau; Dede Nickerson, the former Sony and Warner Bros. executive who now heads CMC’s in-house production operation Infinity Pictures; Christopher Bremble, CEO of Beijing-based visual effects and production company BaseFX; producer Terence Chang; director Wong Jing; Media Asia owner Peter Lam; director/producer Wong Pak-ming; producer Paco Wong; actor-director Stephen Fung; superstar actor-singer Andy Lau; Emperor group chairman Albert Yeung.
“Flagship is not just about one or two films, or a single project. This is a deeper relationship that also involves collaboration at the operational level,” said CMC founder and chairman Li Ruigang.
“There are a lot of announcements about China these days. These projects are real, they are happening,” a Warner insider told Variety.
- “MEG” is a disaster-actioner to be structured as an international venture, produced by Belle Avery and China’s Ji Erwei (aka Ben Ji.)
- “Murder of the Husband,” an original Chinese drama based on a high-profile murder case in 1940s Shanghai, is to be directed by Peter Chan Ho-sun.
- Chan will also produce with Brett Ratner, sci-fi, action romance,”Beautiful Coma.”
- Comedy actioner, “Mission Milano” currently being directed by Wong Jing (“The Man from Macau”,) with stars Wong Cho Lam, Andy Lau and Huang Xiaoming. “We hope to kickstart a new comedy franchise,” said Wong Jing.
- “The Adventurers,” an action comedy romance to be produced by Stephen Fung, and Terence Chang, with Feng Shaofeng and Stephen Fung in the cast;
- “When Larry Meets Mary,” comedy romance, to be directed by Wen Zhang, with Bao Beier and Song Jia in the cast;
- A “Miss Congeniality” comedy action remake;
- Another remake, “Blended,” comedy romance about a mismatched couple on holiday with children and parent;
- Original Chinese production “Chinese Wall Street;”
- Original Chinese picture “Agent ;”
- Chinese disaster-actioner “Crater”
- Animation, “Wish Dragon.”