‘Star Trek: Wrath of Khan’ Director Nicholas Meyer Joins New CBS Series as Writer and Producer

Nicholas Meyer star trek
Rex Shutterstock

Nicholas Meyer, who directed “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” and “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” in addition to writing the screenplays for “Undiscovered Country” and “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home,” has joined CBS Television Studios and Bryan Fuller’s new “Star Trek” series as a consulting producer and writer, the network announced Friday.

“Nicholas Meyer chased Kirk and Khan ’round the Mutara Nebula and ’round Genesis’ flames, he saved the whales with the Enterprise and its crew, and waged war and peace between Klingons and the Federation. We are thrilled to announce that one of ‘Star Trek’s’ greatest storytellers will be boldly returning as Nicholas Meyer beams aboard the new ‘Trek’ writing staff,” said Fuller in a statement.

Related

Star Trek Beyond Trailer

‘Star Trek Beyond’ First Trailer Debuts Online

As previously announced, the new series will launch with a special preview broadcast on CBS in early 2017, with all subsequent first-run episodes then bowing exclusively on CBS All Access, the network’s digital SVOD and live streaming service. The series is the first original show developed for CBS All Access. Fuller will serve as showrunner for the new series, in addition to his duties on Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s popular novel “American Gods,” which he executive produces alongside Michael Green.

Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will also executive produce the new iteration of “Trek,” which will be produced in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout banner.

The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 6

Leave a Reply

6 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. CHUCKIE says:

    actually, i kinda liked the whole “reboot” thing…….and i thing j j abrams was an excellent choice……never heard of this new person, but it doesn’t matter…….

    i won’t ever be seeing a new film in a movie theater ever again…..i’m tired of having my eardrums raped, and leaving the theater with a migraine EVERY SINGLE TIME since “avatar”……which i blamed on the 3D, but no……..the other films were not 3D, just insultingly LOUD……..

    it’s a shame, really…….it used to be a nice night out, with popcorn and all…….but, since they can’t seem to understand the difference between “LOUD” and “POTENTIALLY DEAFENING TO THE POINT OF CAUSING PERMANENT DAMAGE”……so sad, too bad…..i’ll stay home, where i have control over the volume…….

  2. ksmsscu says:

    FABULOUS NEWS!! NICK MEYER DOESN’T LIKE TO LOSE!

  3. WAM says:

    GREAT GREAT NEWS!!

  4. Tom says:

    Looks great, shame it won’t be on TV

    • nerdrage says:

      It’s a good thing it won’t be on broadcast. It would just get cancelled. Star Trek couldn’t survive on broadcast years ago when Enterprise was cancelled for sucky ratings. Things have not gotten better for niche series in the meantime, they have gotten worse.

      The techy crowd that is the natural audience for Star Trek were the first ones to abandon broadcast for streaming. So of course CBS is trying to use that very brand to appeal to the streaming audience and salvage their flailing CBS All Access service. If they didn’t have a flailing service to salvage, they wouldn’t be making a Star Trek series to begin with.

      • Saying that Enterprise was cancelled due to poor ratings is nonsense. Fact Enterprise was not cancelled for ratings, it was cancelled due to the viacom split Fact, enterprise was the highest rated show in the 22:00 timeslot and it aired on UPN Fact, Nemesis went up against what was at the time the highest grossing James Bond film of all time, and 7 days before Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Fact, ANOTHER Trek Series was in development during Enterprise’s run. It was also cancelled due to the viacom split Fact, part of the conditions of the viacom split was a non compete, banning CBS from developing a series, or allowing a series to continue for 2 years. That was extended by another 2 in exchange for merchandising rights, with the option of paramount extending that to 2015 SHOULD a New movie be a success…. ONLY the first one was FACT, Paramount had ANOTHER script ready to go before Abrams demanded the original characters. Would have served the same purpose and Would have actually been liked by everyone.

More Digital News from Variety

Loading