‘Fuller House’ Debuts on Netflix: Fans React to the Hit Sitcom Reboot

Fuller House renewed Season 2
Courtesy Netflix

Fuller House,” Netflix’s reboot of the hit ABC sitcom “Full House,” debuted to a host of frenzied, nostalgic Netflix subscribers Friday.

The spinoff series follows a recently widowed D.J. Tanner (Candace Cameron-Bure) as she moves back into her childhood home in San Francisco to care for her three children. Echoing the household structure of “Full House,” D.J. will raise her children with the help of sister Stephanie (Jodie Sweetin) and longtime best friend and fellow single mom Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber). “Full House” originals including John Stamos, Bob Saget, Dave Coulier and Lori Loughlin all guest star in episodes of the Netflix series.

The initial announcement of “Fuller House” and subsequent teasers of the series generated intense social-media buzz. In December, Netflix released the first trailer for “Fuller House,” which racked up 5.5 million YouTube views in its first day and more than 14 million views to date. The one-minute teaser also became the most viewed video on Netflix’s official YouTube channel. The show has also been trending on Facebook and Twitter on and off since news of the series leaked last spring.

Despite the immense fan response to “Fuller House,” the series’ creator Jeff Franklin — who also created “Full House” — recently revealed to Variety that the spinoff almost didn’t happen due to a lack of interest from the networks he approached about the reboot. Franklin began pitching the idea seven or eight years ago.

In spite of the delay and mixed reviews from critics, the overwhelming fan reception speaks for itself.

Taking to Instagram and Twitter, Stamos, Cameron-Bure and Barber expressed their anticipation for the series debut, while Sweetin encouraged “Fuller House” viewing parties.

#FridayFeeling #Fullerhouse

A post shared by John Stamos (@johnstamos) on

Many fans are applauding “Fuller House’s'” not-so-subtle Olsen twin references.

Others, including “Frozen’s” Josh Gad, voiced excitement to binge watch the series.

And according to Twitter, John Stamos still has it.

Overall, “Fuller House” hit the Twitterverse with a wave of nostalgia.

1. tsides says:

Why are people watching this show ? It honestly makes me sad. As the article puts it …”shading” the Olsen twins. In reality they were traumatized and had a horrible upbringing due mainly to Bob Saget molesting them repeatedly. Shame on them for not wanting to participate in round 2?
    This is anything but a family show….Full of pedophilia. I was too young to notice on the original full house , but it’s very prevalent. I had a hunch that Bob Saget was a sick waste of semen but after googling him I know not to support this mess any longer.

2. Karen says:

I’m with Serena. Just binge watched Season 1. Yes! More, more, more! Love it! Thank you to producers, writers, and crew. Twenty years and actors timing still perfect. Craving more.

3. Serena says:

Just binge watched fuller house and I loved it!! Can’t wait for season 2! And can we talk about how adorable those kids are?? Especially little Tommy

4. Childhood memories says:

Fuller house is perfect! Although some have negative comments regarding the show. Past full house fans know this show hits home. It’s so great to relive childhood memories while making future memories at the same time. A show like this is special for many reasons and I can’t wait for season 2! Here, here to fuller house! Thanks for all the fun memories, past and present!

5. Feeling nostalgic says:

I’m the same age as DJ now. I feel like I grew up watching this family. They referenced all the cool stuff girls our age remember from back then. NKOTB, scrunchies, slap bracelets, Dirty dancing, Alanis Morissette, the running man, ect, ect LOL. All these things are nostalgic for the kids that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s watching full house. I was in love with Steve, just like every other girl in America was. So I’m team Steve! I’m still in hopes that DJ picks Steve so he can sing “I can show you the world” to her. Awesome job. Fuller house felt like Full house never ended. The actors looked and acted so much the same. It’s hard to believe it’s been over twenty years. I’m really looking forward to season 2.
    💖👍😆

6. While not perfect, I thought the show was a lot of fun. I think I even like Kimmie more as an adult. She’s hilarious. The only awkward moment was the dance between Kimmie and DJ; that was cringeworthy. Otherwise, it’s cute and fun with a modern take, and I actually laugh out loud unlike most shows on tv. I do hope they make another season.

7. Lindsay and Linda and Jaimie Firlotte says:

Love love love!! Waiting for more!! After hoping the creators would not take a good thing and butcher it we were blown away!! The new characters were brilliantly cast and everyone carried this off to perfection! When can we have more??

8. Prouddaddy says:

Love the new show. All the lame “know it all” critics that want to trash this show can go somewhere else. The fans love it. Great ideas. This show is not like the old one. The girls are all grownup and have their own stories to tell. Andrea Barber stole the show. She’s hilarious. She knows that character. I wish everyone on the show the best. From the show runner to the actors, producers and editors. What an amazing thing to have on the air. Those girls were so cute growing up and to have them as they are now is amazing. Wonderful wonderful tv. Please make more stories like this. Everyone loves a happy ending.

9. spook reject says:

full house was a great show. but updating it after 30 years later ok. but the acting is like terrible in the pilot ep. made me change channel quick

10. deserie says:

I been watching Fuller house and i love it. Its a great show. I have nothing bad to say that everybody did a great job.

• Charolette says:

I watch full house growing up n fuller house i loved it im a big fan all though mary kate ashley i really hope you change your mind n come back but it took me back to old times hoping for season two welll done

More Digital News from Variety