The Los Angeles District Attorney will not file charges against Bill Cosby involving two separate allegations, including one at the Playboy mansion in 2008.
The D.A. cited the statute of limitations and insufficient evidence.
Last week, Bill Cosby was charged with aggravated indecent assault in a case involving Andrea Constand in 2004, when she was director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team. Cosby’s attorneys called the criminal case “unjustified” and said that their client would be exonerated.
The Los Angeles District Attorney said that they looked into two separate allegations against Cosby — one from 1965 and the other from 2008.
Although the D.A. identified the accusers as Jane Does, Chloe Goins, a model who alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Cosby at the Playboy Mansion in 2008, filed a civil lawsuit against the entertainer in a Los Angeles federal court in October. Cosby’s legal team has denied the allegations.
According to the D.A., the Jane Doe in the 2008 case alleges that when she was attending a party at the mansion that summer, she and a friend were introduced to Cosby, and he gave them each alcoholic beverages. Shortly after drinking it, she felt dizzy, and he escorted her to an upstairs bedroom to lie down. “When she awoke, her clothes were off, her breasts felt moist, as if they had been licked, and the suspect was at the foot of the bed biting at her toe. He appeared to be masturbating,” the D.A. said of her allegation. “Once she awoke, he quickly left the room and she found her clothing on the floor, dressed and left the Playboy Mansion with her friend.”
The D.A. said that initially, the incident was reported to have occurred at a party on Aug. 9, 2008. She told investigators that she was unsure if the incident occurred during that event, but was certain that it took place during the summer. Investigators said that they reviewed guests lists of 56 events at the mansion in 2008, and also reviewed video from outside the perimeter of the mansion. Cosby appeared on a guest list for an event in February, but did not show up in video footage. His accuser also did not show up in footage.
Investigators also tried contacting the victim’s friend, and while she provided contact information, the potential witness who matched the identification information “denied knowing [the accuser] or having ever visited the Playboy Mansion. Instead, the potential witness directed investigators to another individual who also denied knowing Jane Doe #2,” the D.A. said in its report.
The D.A. said that the accuser’s “statements were consistent with prior statements provided to investigators, but did not yield further evidence or investigative leads.”
The D.A. concluded that two potential criminal offenses — misdemeanor sexual battery and misdemeanor indecent exposure — were barred by the statute of limitations. They also reviewed felony sex offenses not barred by the statute of limitations, including sexual battery by restraint, but concluded there was insufficient evidence.
“Consequently, after evaluating all potential charges, there is insufficient evidence to prove these crimes beyond a reasonable doubt,” the D.A. said in its report.
The other allegation was made by an unidentified accuser who claims that when she was 17 years old in 1965, Cosby took her to a jazz club in Hollywood and bought her alcoholic drinks. “She reported that he took her to an unknown residence in the Hollywood Hills and forced her to have sexual intercourse with him,” the D.A. said. “Filing the crime of forcible rape is barred by the statute of limitations and as such, any consideration of a criminal filing is prohibited by law.”
The lawsuit is the latest litigation against the comedian, and her complaint identifies 40 other women who have come forward to accuse Cosby of assaulting them.
Goins’ attorney had no immediate comment.