NBC Says Goodbye to ‘Welcome to Sweden’

'Welcome to Sweden': NBC Cancels Comedy
Courtesy of NBC

NBC has said goodbye to “Welcome to Sweden.”

Creator-star Greg Poehler has announced that NBC has ended his comedy “due to some craptastically low ratings in the U.S.” The series, which returned to the NBC lineup on July 19, lasted just two weeks into its second season. In its final airing last Sunday, it averaged a mere 0.2 rating in 18-49 and 1.1 million viewers, placing 19th in its timeslot.

The series also aired on Swedish network TV4. “Welcome to Sweden” was an international production with both American and Swedish talent. Poehler exec produced along with his sister Amy, and Carrie Stein and Fredrik Arefalk.

“I am eternally grateful to all of our fans. When you make a show — and write, produce, obsess and and act in it — all you want us for someone, somewhere, to tell you they appreciate it,” Poehler wrote on Instagram. “There have been so many of you in both Sweden and the U.S. that have done so, and every compliment has made me immeasurably happy. So, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I’m sitting here crying, but mostly because I’ll prob never work with Josephine [Bornebusch], Christopher [Wagelin], Lena [Olin], Per [Svensson] and Claes [Mansson] again. They are among the best people I’ve ever met, and I am so so happy and grateful that they let me act with them.”

When the series premiered last year, Variety TV critic Brian Lowry said that “despite rifling through all the usual and uncomfortable moments, the show has an understated charm and amusing characters.”

“Hollywood Game Night” will replace “Welcome to Sweden” in the 8 o’clock hour this Sunday, and NFL preseason action will take over NBC’s primetime schedule on two Sundays in August.

1. Loved the show. Too bad. :(

2. edward says:

The problem with this show:
    The lead character was doing things that were supposed to be funny, but instead made me lose all respect for him, and made him unlikable.
    Instead of laughing I wound up feeling sorry for the girlfriend. In every show.

3. kate o says:

Leave it to network execs to cancel a charming, witty, non vulgar series in the middle of the summer when most are on vacation. Cowards who don’t know good content or taste work this way. This show was a breathe of fresh air last summer! Best wishes to Greg & Amy for future productions!

4. Faye Glock says:

This show is so funny and delightful. I love shows and movies depicting culture clash. Please revive.

5. Linda thomas says:

I hate that you canceled Welcome to Sweden!!!! I’ve been there numerous times as our Swedish friends have been here or us there or we have met them in other countries and this was such a refreshing show. I’m so disappointed !!!!

6. So sorry to see the quirky show go, If NBC had marketed it it, it may have had a chance. Sure you might have to be Swedish to appreciate the humor, but my kids who have had no exposure to Swedes “got it” and thought it was very funny and quirky. If the rest of the episodes are already filmed—let us have them. Hope someone picks them up.

7. Just started watching season two on demand. I was hoping Greg Poehler would have taken an acting class in between seasons. Nope! Loved Lena Olin and Josephine Bornebusch. I wish them success and will watch whatever they are in next. Hopefully, they will stay far away from the Poehlers.

8. Riff says:

That’s nothing. NBC cancelled “Celebrity Family Feud” seven years ago. Excellent judgment, as always. Should we start the betting on how many episodes of the big, smash, monster hit, “Aquarius,” will see the light of day next year? Because if we are, put me down for zero.

9. Philip Marshall says:

I read just this morning that you have decided to cancel the series Welcome To Sweden. I must say that I am disappointed, as I just discovered this charming series. I don’t know how long it has been airing but my family has really enjoyed watching and hope that you will reconsider and give it some more time to find its audience. Remember the series ‘Cheers’? It too started out with horrible ratings, but became one of your longest running hit shows!

10. Helene says:

Didn’t know Season Two had started! Loved Season One!

11. 506easy says:

My day has just been ruined….thanks NBC….

12. Jon says:

There were so many possibilities for this show (like Lena Olin – LOVED her!) but, sorry…Greg Poehler is a TERRIBLE actor. And his character was too dumb – even to reflect an American. As a Swedish-American myself, I had great hopes and will miss parts of this show but both Poehler’s drove this straight into the ground.

13. Well this sucks!! The show is actually quite hysterical. Why do good shows get cancelled all the time……………………………………………..:(

14. Leonard says:

This is why I don’t like the major networks. They never give a show a chance to grow. I just found this show and really like it. Hope someone else picks it up.

• Miffy says:

They gave it a second season and it got record low ratings. How much more of a “chance” should it get?

Greg Poehler is ridiculous anyway – he’s only there because of his famous sister. He should go back to being an accountant, or whatever job he quit to become a “comedian”.

15. Cassie says:

This show was terrible, anyway.

16. Jonjohnoc says:

Well, this was a craptastic show. The only reason to watch was for Lena Olin

17. Fred says:

This is horrible news! We love this show, it’s consistently one of the funniest things on television. Great cast, and really sharp, smart writing. I certainly hope there will be a way to see the rest of the second season. It’s a real shame US networks won’t support good work like this.

18. Karen says:

I love “Welcome to Sweden!” Why do they cancel all the good shows? It was so funny and refreshing. Plus a quirky visit to another culture every week. I hope we will at least be able to view unaired eps somewhere.

19. Mel says:

I’m so disappointed! I thought it was a unique, funny show. Will they show the rest of Season 2 online? Maybe another network will pick it up???

20. Jacques Strappe says:

“Craptastically” or “Comcastically”? I think the two are interchangeable. Welcome to NBC, “Normally Bad Comedies” Perhaps they should replace the Welcome to Sweden episodes with a retrospective on the bang up job Bob Greenblatt, President of NBC, is doing at the the Peacock. Good thing that Bill Cosby project was pulled at the last minute, although, it probably would have set ratings records

21. awtaylor2013 says:

I’m confused; the show wasn’t produced in any shape or form by NBC (maybe Series 2, but not Series 1) so why does them dropping the show lead to the show’s cancellation? Why can’t it just continue? I could see Netflix picking this up like they did with the Danish series Rita.

22. Haven’t other episodes already been filmed?

23. Steve says:

DVR’d and watched all the shows last season with my 18 yr old daughter. We loved it and it’s quirky sense of humor. NBC never really supported the show and only found it while going through the TV
    listing. Got the first 2 on my DVR and very disappointed that they will be the last.

24. Alex says:

It’s not a great time to be at NBC/U.

• ily says:

Actually, maybe it is a great time. Get in now & you can help make it the amazing corp it used to be! And then, like Matt Blank, be at the top! :D (Love u matt blank. Sharpest & kindest exec in hollywood by far!!) :):)

25. tammy says:

Saw this show listed on my TV VoD. It’s listed (re: alphabetically) nearby Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon. (Shout out to Jimmy Fallon btw!! Love him!!!!!!) But anyways, always thought it was a travel show or something. Like, literally the other day, I actually said “Why the heck would NBC do travel show on Sweden. If you’re gonna explore a region, at least pic something fun sounding like Brazil!”

Anyways. This article explains a lot haha… Y’all really should change the title. Seriously. I bet that’s a huge factor to why nobody is watching. You’re welcome :)

26. welcome to sweden is fantastic says:

What A shame. love the show! maybe Netflix or Amazon will pick it up soon. keep up the great work !!