WE tv Greenlights Two Unscripted Legal Dramas with African American Female Casts

WE tv legal series

WE tv has ordered two new unscripted shows, both set in the legal world, centering around African American female attorneys: “Ladies of Law” and “Sisters in Law.”

“Ladies of Law” follows four interconnected New York City-based powerful and glamorous African American female lawyers who specialize in entertainment law, specifically the music industry dominated by men. The project is produced by Eastern and Monami Entertainment with exec producers Stefan Springman, Mala Chapple and Toby Barraud for Eastern, and Mona Scott-Young for Monami Entertainment. Rhonda Cowan of Life’s A Beach Media will serve as co-executive producer.

The other series revolves around a group of give African American female lawyers in Houston, Texas who have coined themselves as the “Sisters in Law.” The show explores the women’s shared struggles for success, as they practice civil and criminal law. “Sisters in Law” is produced by Collins Avenue Entertainment and exec produced by Jeff Collins, Michael Hammond, Sandi Johnson, Bryan Stinson and Laura Halperin with producing partner Kim Coles.

“Legal dramas have long been a popular TV genre, but have not been represented in the unscripted space — until now,” said Marc Juris, WE tv’s president. “Working in concert with our production partners we actively sought to develop shows around topics that haven’t been explored, yet lend themselves naturally to great, buzzy stories and powerful characters. The very nature of ‘the law’ coupled with the intense personalities of lawyers gives us a wide range of storylines and characters to showcase. Behind each of these attorneys is a rich story waiting to be told.”

“Ladies of Law” and “Sisters in Law” go into production this summer. Both one-hour series are slated to join the cabler’s 2016 lineup.

1. Kim britton says:

How do I get on the ahow Sisters in law?

2. Christina says:

I have a case where my friend killed his brother by accident trying to stop his brother from beating on his girlfriend. His brother was very abusive towards the while family and even tho itsbself defense he is in till 2023. He could really use some help.

3. real jim says:

hate to tell “the sister” but what is happening to the young blacks is because the young blacks do not obey the law and that is on them, not whites.

4. lakeisha gould says:

I have an wrongful death case, and will love for sister’s in law to look into my case

5. Essie says:

I have a case where the person was charged with murder but he was in jail the day of the murder, The coroners date indicates the date of death but the state of NC is pushing to change coroner’s date of death. The person charged has been sitting in jail for 2yrs wand has yet to be in front of a judge even with an attorney. I have motion document autopsy report witness statement etc… Enough to make you shocked. The young man is 31 yrs old and looking at life for something he didn’t do. Any advice….pro-Bono or reality truth…

• Salome murray says:

Hi my name is salame Murray I have a daughter that’s incarcerated 4 Texas 385 thousand dollars she 5 Kids the judge was a Caucasian prejudice person I think she was unjust with the ruling my daughter didn’t have the best public defender I feel my daughter should have got probation but she ha4 years I’m sick I Fatimaalgia I also have COPD please can someone help me thank you

6. ratchetqueens says:

This will be a great show and can’t wait to watch it. I’m a lawyer.

7. Blair Moody says:

Are this real cases. Tral court ect….

8. Cheryl Drinovsky says:

My nephew was murdered by McGregor PD in Texas 9 years ago and our family is still seeking help to bring this to the public

9. Lizzy says:

I can tell you for a fact that NONE of the women lawyers from the Houston cast are at the top of their field, except for maybe Vivian King as a criminal defense lawyer! The others are either just starting out, or have been practicing law for many many years but are not highly regarded in the Houston legal community. I can also tell you that the Black female lawyers in Houston who are at the top of their game & well-respected wouldn’t be caught dead chasing fame on a REALITY SHOW!!!

At least 2 of the Houston cast members have a laundry list a mile long & one of the two was on “Survivor” a few years back! So WE TV, stop promoting the female lawyers casted as Houston’s finest, because they are not!

10. Lawrence mathis says:

Melanie Moreau,way to go.You have rocked it for Collins Ave.Congrats girl.I am sure you are glad about making the switch from being a VP at Viacom to rocking the production world.Many more to come

11. The Editor says:

Reblogged this on Entertainment Suite.