‘The Walking Dead’ Removes Steven Yeun’s Name From Opening Credits

walking dead glenn nicholas
Courtesy of AMC

Spoiler warning: Do not read on unless you’ve seen the Nov. 1 episode of “The Walking Dead.”

If you were paying attention to the opening credits of “The Walking Dead” this week, you might’ve noticed a big change — Steven Yeun’s name is no longer part of the opening titles, the first time he’s been absent from the sequence since the pilot.

His character, Glenn Rhee, was seemingly devoured by a horde of walkers in the Oct. 25 episode, “Thank You,” although there’s been some ambiguity about Glenn’s fate, first because showrunner Scott Gimple released a cryptic statement on aftershow “Talking Dead” last week (which also left Glenn off its weekly “In Memoriam” segment), and then because executive producer David Alpert refused to confirm his death in Variety‘s postmortem interview last week, instead coyly commenting, “We will find out what happened to Glenn… I feel like, regardless of what happened to Glenn, he paid a tremendous price for having been human to Nicholas, and that, to me, from an emotional point-of-view — whether or not Glenn is alive or dead or something else — the Glenn that we knew, the one that believed in the better side of humanity, I think is dead.”

The Nov. 1 episode, titled “Here’s Not Here,” focused wholly on Lennie James’ Morgan, filling in some of the narrative gaps on the character’s journey before he reached Alexandria — likely frustrating fans who tuned in hoping for some clarity on Glenn’s fate.

Next week’s episode looks to focus heavily on Daryl (Norman Reedus), Abraham (Michael Cudlitz) and Sasha (Sonequa Martin-Green), judging by the episode’s promo, but a newly released clip from the episode also shows that we will get to see the aftermath of the Wolves’ attack on Alexandria, with a shell-shocked Deanna (Tovah Feldshuh) overhearing Michonne (Danai Gurira) apologizing to Maggie (Lauren Cohan) for leaving Glenn behind, and reassuring her, “He said if he got stuck, he would find a way to send us a signal.”

Do you think Yeun’s missing name means that Glenn is dead, or was it removed to mess with fans? Weigh in below.

1. eric says:

why the spoiler warning in the body of an article whose title already mentions the name of the ahh whatever dumb.

2. I am totally disgusted with walking dead Season 6 finally. Even if a cast member is leaving…the writers dont have to make such a BRUTAL ending no matter who is killed. I will no longer watch this “drama” if Glenn is killed in such a way that you remember him like that. I would ALSO stop watching series if Darryl or Rick is killed in such a manner.. I have watched this series from the BEGINNING and have purchased all seasons. Am on the line about continuing…….

3. The Walking Dead may end up like the hit series “24” when they killed off all the main characters thinking Keiffer Sutherland could carry the whole show and it FLOPPED and that was it’s last season!! They don’t know when to leave a good thing alone! People are loyal to these characters.

4. tal says:

Hopefully,no final goodbye with this show.Why?because we feel like its part of our Sunday daily bread,a family.Tears till the morning going to work in the Hospital.Actually,till now its hard to accept that they kill his character,but who knows!!!!Sometimes,you dont want to talk about the show to your patients,but I do observe that even though they’re sick when you ask them “what would they like you to discuss with them,and they say “show”,then you ask them what would be their fav show,then they replied “The walking Dead”.Their reasons is….its not olnly about zoombies,but its family,how to survived and love each other…..

• TV people are having a hard time understanding why the characters have to go & Graphic Novelist’s are having a hard time understanding why characters are staying alive. My son said way back when that “If that baby lives I am done with the show” (Judith) and he has been true to his word as the GN are what he expects loyalty to come from.

5. hayden says:

Man!!!!why Glenn.Please keep all the original casts in service,because they’re our family from day 1 to now,otherwise someting is missing every Sunday.You can delete or rejected someone’s character but not the original casts.We all loved them as family,that’s why we devoted our time to follow up every episode,because this showed us not only how to survived but its about FAMILY….Thanks.

6. estel says:

Well,we don’t know what exactly happened to him,because usually they get interviewed from the The Talking Dead episode,but because they didn’t show anything about what happened,then he might be dead or alive.Yes,it kinda frustrating what happened,because we extremely appreciated Glenn’s character on the show.Something missing if they deleted,kill,stop or vanished his character.We love him so much.I’m avid fan from season 1 to up to now,so hopefully someone will make or will re-create an episode to put him back in the show.We do love to see all the original casts/characters to be on the show forever and ever or untill the The Walking Dead final goodbye…..Thanks.

7. Carolyn says:

It’s to mess with the audience. It seems hopeless for Glenn to be alive, but if it is so, why won’t they just confirm it like everyone else who has been killed? Why torture us this way? Why leave any question about his fate? Dead or alive, they are CLEARLY messing with us and I don’t like it.

8. JoeyMas says:

Glenn got bit once and now returns as a woman.

9. Joe says:

One of the two

10. Laura says:

I am hoping they are messing with their viewers. I don’t think it is right that the kill Glenn off when Maggie is going to really need him. Please listen to your viewers & do the right thing.

11. frank says:

I think its a vision or some kind of thought in glens head as to how he would die. but wakes up and finds a solution I first watched and saw the fence and said jump the damn fence. the show has to throw people off what better way to do it than making people think the daydream was real just my view and or take on it.

12. Vanessa says:

Glenn is not dead…at least not tonight.

13. Athena the Warrior says:

I don’t trust this. I think when Lori died early in S3, Sarah Wayne Callies name remained in the credits until S4. Same thing for Scott Wilson after Herschel ‘s demise in S4 I think.

14. Dominic says:

Wow. I can’t believe both the writer and the editor let this article loose with that title! THEN you give a spoiler alert? WTF, you morons! I have not caught up to this season yet, and so don’t want to know anything more than the previous headlines of “a major character was killed off”. It was bad enough seeing that! Now you’ve totally blown it! You know people are going to read the headline before delving into the article, so if you’re going to release spoilers, then DON’T DO IT IN THE HEADLINE!!!! Why do you even feel the need to write about an ongoing series, re-capping each episode? It’s stupid. Let people watch it and have there conversations around the water cooler, what’s wrong with that? where’s the newsworthy aspect that makes this type of article fit to print? All you’re doing is blabbing to those who have already seen the show, and ruining it for everyone else by releasing spoilers. Those who don’t want to know (like myself) aren’t going to read your article anyway if you have a spoiler alert, so what’s the point? Did you all decide to maliciously mess with those non-readers by giving the spoiler away in the headline? Get a life, please!

• Digby says:

The term should be SPOILED ALERT, for how spoiled a life do you lead if hearing what happened to a character on a TV show is upsetting to you????? Find something meaningful to invest your emotional core in, you’re wasting the gift of a life by making Entertainment your godling.

• brucelee says:

Then don’t read a website that frequently posts information about the show you haven’t watched yet. Idiot.

• Melanie says:

Let’s not forget that time that AMC’s FACEBOOK page released the poster of Daryl carrying Beth’s body too. Right after the first showing on the east coast was done. That was a major spoiler. Nothing is safe on the internet.

• Ljubljana says:

I think he has a valid point. I mean…the viewers that are able to see it when it airs first are OBVIOUSLY not going to know what the big deal is because nothing was spoiled for them. In addition, the ridiculous “don’t get on the internet” argument is about as bad.
        I mean…almost any entertainment website mentions this series. You can’t hardly avoid it. Most are conscious enough of different airtimes across the globe not to spoil things for others.

• StormsNYC says:

get over yourself, the world doesn’t revolve around your (in)ability to watch TWD when it airs.

15. PppLllllEeeeAaaSSSSEeee let Glen NOT be dead!! Maggie will be devistated and there relationship is the only one that’s lasted through since the beginning!! It would give me hope in my own life that my love can last and never die and that he will come back to me just like Glen should come back to Maggie!! Me and the love of my life who I’m not with now And miss soo soo much started watching this together and towards the end was the only thing we did so I still watch hoping he thinks about me when he sees Glen N Maggie so please say it isn’t so that he is dead cause my relationship can’t be DEAD!! It too unfair!! I love you And miss you soo much N wish I knew where you were!! <3

16. In the aerial shot, the fence that was behind them on the dumpster has disappeared – is this another clue that it’s Dickless Nicholas’ hallucination? Along side the fact he shot himself in the head with no bullet in his gun..

17. Bob says:

I am not going to take the bait and get sucked into this “stunt” by TWD. This is a lame attempt to stir up controversy among the viewers, and I will not play along. If Glenn is dead, he is dead.

• Chill out, Bob – why so serious? I love a good is he/isn’t he, and the show is as good – if not better – than it ever was. I don’t understand the negativity, and far from being a “stunt”, it’s an oft used technique that gets the fans enthused. Well, some of them anyway.

18. Steve Games says:

#‎WalkingDead‬ If Glen ain’t dead, my interest in the show will be. The way he’s screaming it’s his own pain he’s feeling. The way the zombies were covering him, regardless of who’s on top, shows his feet and head being smothered. There is no movement to get under the dumpster and there is no indication of a reasonable way out. If not for the chatterheads of ‪#‎TalkingDead‬ no one would be wondering whether of not Glen was dead. I’ve been wanting to see that character devoured from the start. I also hope Rick gets it. If this show isn’t about interchangeable stars then its about irreconcilable plot lines and selling commercials. Story first! Glen is gone. But I wouldn’t mind seeing Glenn the walker. I think Maggie should put that one down.

• Len Go says:

Well if you think it is just about commercials, and based on your comment, it seems you are not really enjoying it, then better stop watching it. Get A life! I hope Glen is still Alive, period!!

• Aaron Ryder says:

Maybe try reading the comic book series before coming to those conclusions. Yes SOME characters have had differences in the overall outcome of their early demise but anybody who reads the comics knows Glen dies at the hand of Negan’s Barbed wire baseball bat Lucile. That’s just too epic, and important to the plot, to allow Glen to die any other way.

• Carolyn says:

Well, nothing’s really written in stone. There’s no law that says they have to follow the comic book exactly. In fact, if they think the audience knows too much, they might just do the exact opposite of what is expected to keep us guessing… as they may have done here (although I hope not).

• Gooshbacca says:

Spoiler Alert man, jeez..

• Alice Jones says:

I agree with you! Yes it was a sad way for Glen to go, but as you said it’s too epic and important to not kill Glen in that way

• Agreed Aaron, it’s kind of necessary that Glenn makes it. To be honest, death by horde of walkers is still marginally better than death by Lucille.

19. Tonya J says:

I have a theory based on the 11/1 clip of this Sunday’s episode; it’s pretty obvious Maggie is going out on her own to find Glenn when she tells Aaron “you can’t stop me”. Just as Daryl found Merle turned, with all probability she will find Glenn turned and that is fitting, that she be the one to put him out of his misery. I’m not saying I want it to be that way; I was gutted by the episode where Glenn appears to die, but it’s logical, and of course it would be emotionally upsetting but fulfilling.

20. Hudson says:

Maybe you should watch the show when it airs? Just a thought ;)

21. Peppermintsynapse says:

Well, I think regardless of whether Glenn’s really dead or not, removing his name and leaving a blank, unfilled spot in the middle of the credits was very much done to mess with fans. It was very noticeable, my boyfriend and I spotted it immediately and we both did a double – take, which is probably exactly what they were going for. They did it just to further the “is he or isn’t he?” debate, seemingly as a counter point to Steven Yeun not being on Talking Dead and his name not being in the list of the dead at the end of episode 3.

I don’t know how Glenn could have survived that mess, but I do concede that he maybe could have. I watched a clip that’s from next week’s episode (#5) where Michonne is talking to Maggie and saying that Glenn would find some way to signal them and I suddenly remembered that he does have a flare gun on him (that’s what he was going to use to burn the store down and distract the walkers). It struct me as an oddly specific thing for her to say… I mean, it’s Chekhov’s gun, right? You don’t write a gun hanging on the wall into a story if no one’s going to fire it, and you don’t give a character facing a horde of distractable zombies a flare gun if he’s not going to shoot it.

22. Arch Bailey says:

Glenn will always be with us – maybe Maggie is pregnant

23. daniel says:

The comic book rule applys to the show as well. No character is safe and they can be killed off at any point in any manner imaginable in their world. Glenn is dead. Take a breath and accept it. Watch the clip a couple more times and come to grips with the fact that he was surrounded by walkers and pinned to the ground by a dead body. His legs are seen thrashing which would have grabbed the attention of a walker. He is fucked like a football bat and we all know it deep down. So no more crying over spilt glenn guts, ok my peeps?

24. janis says:

if the producers and writers are playing with us about Glenn that is pretty cruel,,and we don’t like it, the fans made walking dead as popular as they are, we can stop watching,, they better make Glenn alive and well and Rick too

25. Eric says:

I don’t think Glenn is dead. One thing I noticed in the aerial shot of the horde surrounding Glenn is all the zombies are reaching towards the center, except for one who seems to be looking around…

• Carolyn says:

Yes, I noticed that too. I also saw Glenn’s move ever so slightly backwards and to the right then his head seemed to disappear. I watched it several times. Not sure if it means anything though.

• Eric says:

Or two… Bottom right of the shot. Male and female seem to just be standing looking around

26. Myra Piepszka says:

his name is not in the opening credits like it usually is,it normally appears by the pocket watch……..

27. Nick says:

I watched the credits last night and Steven Yeun’s name is still on the opening scene, So, I am not sure what you are talking about.

28. Myra Piepszka says:

c o, I also heard the 2 clicks when they ran out of bullets and then pulled out their knives to fight of the walkers,Glenn even turned his gun around to pistalwhoop the walkers LOL!! But yeah people I also think it could be some sort of hallucination……… all in all Glenn is ALIVE :) :)

29. Myra Piepszka says:

Glenn called Rick dumb ass on season 1 EP 1 when Rick was in the tank but right before that Rick was gonna shoot him self in the head,then he found that hole under the tank and crawled in…….I think Glen is gonna crawl under that dumpster and there is gonna be a hole under there too :) :) wishful thinking I think not!!!! Glen Is ALIVE!!!!!

30. c o says:

‘Here’s Not Here” was a fantastic episode and a perfect example why TWD is such a great show. I still don’t think Nicholas shot himself. You can see and hear them run out of bullets before climbing on the dumpster. They also start using knives to fight the walkers. I also find it hard to believe the show would kill off a major character w/o the remaining characters knowing exactly what happened to him…. my 2 ¢

31. Katie says:

Stupid Hollywood. Writing has deteoriarated. Not going to pay to watch a show more concerned about how many people are watching the paid advertisement then what loyal fans want. If Glenn is alive I’ll catchup later. Until then not watching.

• Kal Tourette says:

yea it was actually my fave walking Dead episode yet

• rick says:

Good!!! Go away!!! You will NOT be missed. And surprise surprise — EVERY single show on TV cares about how many ppl are watching advertisements. That’s how they stay on the air …. Now shoo!!! Away with you loser!

• Laura says:

Rick, you don’t have to call someone a “loser” because they wanna quit watching a show. If they don’t want to watch it, they don’t have to, that doesn’t make them a loser, but calling them a loser because of it makes you a jerk. I already quit watching this show because it didn’t entertain me anymore, and seeing that they probably killed off my favorite character doesn’t make me want to come back to it. That doesn’t make me, or anyone, a loser, so chill the fuck out because not everyone is going to like what you like or agree with you. JFC, get a grip.

32. Myra Piepszka says:

well fans as we know,even way after a death of a cast member their name does not get removed right off the credits until way after a few more episodes!!! sooooo if they really killed Glenn off that would be VERY DISRESPECTFUL of the directors and AMC!!!
    That means Glenn is not dead and found his way under that dumpster!!!:) :) he will be calling for help……

33. Anthony says:

It was. Just a different camera view.

34. Sharon M says:

He’s alive, the guy who shot himself in the head, when they fell, Glenn took him with him and he landed on top, so when you saw the walkers ripping his intestines out, it wasn’t Glenns

• Anthony says:

No that was Glenn’s. They both fell back to the floor. Each other’s momentum was clearly pressed away from each other. He’s gone, hehe

• Erin says:

I also saw that the walkers were immediately pulling out intestines from the area that would have been Glenn’s chest if they were actually eating him. So to me they were definitely eating Nicholas.

• Naomi says:

When you see Glenn being “eaten”, you can see that the walkers are eating from something higher that Glenn’s chest. Steven Yeun is pretty skinny, there is no way that’s his torso that’s getting ripped apart.

35. Anthony says:

Blah, he’s dead. Way too far from the dumpster and too many walkers. He’s gone, finally. Daryl is a welcomed next. 😁😁

36. John p says:

Glenn is alive. We have been having rum and Coke since he managed to creep under the garbo bin away from the zombies. Do not under estimate his cult in the show. Without Glenn , the whole of Ricks mob would be just badasses villains. It is Glenn and Morgan that are still human in the apocalypse.

37. jdelaney says:

Obviously his name was removed just so articles like this could be written.
    The problem with quite a few writers is that they start to believe their gods and they get carried away with their power…it’s only human.

38. Rachel says:

That’s a lie I saw it in the opening credits clear as day

39. How about next time you talk about the actual episode. weird right…

40. AshleyR says:

Glenn is the best character on the show and needs to be brought back.

41. B says:

This is so Jon Snow – I’m not upset he died – well I am – bit dagnamit the pointless manner in which he died leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended) – like that horrific finale to the Sopranos…. sometimes writers think they’re being so witty but they ruin everything – sometimes writers just don’t get their fans…

• The Stranger says:

Jon Snow isn’t dead. Or, rather, he’s going to come back. There’s a Red Priestess on the Wall, and the staple power of Red Priests/Priestesses is resurrection… It’s sort of blatantly obvious. That, or he’ll be a White Walker. Whichever.

42. Sue BoNey says:

It’s not a big deal, they had Lori’s name on the credits weeks after she died, took it off then re-added it when Rick started seeing her. He maybe off the show or not, hope we find out next week.

43. Anthony says:

He’s dead. And it’s good for the show because it can actually progress and follow it’s premise of no one is safe. You have to have major character deaths to have some quality standing. Hopefully 2 or 3 more get killed off and then season 7 can lead to be the final demise of everyone. At least the writers follow their story because if it were the “fans,” they’d have everyone live and that would destroy the point and weight of the story. Whether it’s a main character (such as Glenn) or a worthless character (such as Beth), they need to be worked into eventually meeting a form of demise.

• The Stranger says:

They have to follow the comics, so there’s a lot more story left. You should know your source material before you talk, mate.

• Voyer says:

Cause you do?!? If you did, you’d know the show deviates drastically from the comics. Otherwise, Judith would have long been dead.

• Anthony says:

I did……he’s dead. Confirmed and done. Just common sense over emotional love for a character that is supposed to be killed off anyway, hehe

44. Andy says:

Nicholas shot himself in the temple, Glenn was face to face with him, yet Glenn’s face got covered in blood. If the show creators are true to presentation, Glenn and Nicholas are alive standing on a dumpster

45. Mariah says:

Seeing what happened It feels like he is dead…. but my heart wants to believe that he is alive… we love Glenn.

46. Melissa says:

I think the removel of Glenn’s name is just to mess with the viewers minds.

47. Craig says:

bsg removed Katie sachoffs name from the credits when they killed Starbuck. Hope it’s like that and he’s not really dead

48. e.c.mama says:

As far as I knew he has to live long enough to get Maggie pregnant. While she could be pregnant and not know about it we haven’t seen any signs of this. So wondering if they will even introduce baby hershel. But then.. They don’t really follow the comic

• April says:

We already know that Maggie is pregnant. Glenn and Maggie hinted at it in episode 1 of Season 6. It’s the reason why Maggie didn’t join Glenn on the run to relocate the massive horde of walkers.

49. Negan says:

He’ll be back. This could be the ‘Jump The Shark’ moment for the show. A cheap fake death cliffhanger is something desperate shows do when the ratings are falling. TWD didn’t need to go that route, their ratings are stronger then ever.

Removing his name from the credits is silly. They knew people were going to tune in tonight to see what happened but they decided to focus on Morgan instead so they take his names out of the credits to get some more buzz going.