‘The Walking Dead’ Gets Seventh Season on AMC

glenn walking dead alive spoilers
Courtesy of AMC

Days after airing its most talked-about episode of the current season, AMC announced it has given a seventh season to its hit zombie apocalypse series “The Walking Dead” and a sixth season to postmortem chat series “Talking Dead.”

“The Walking Dead,” which is based on Robert Kirkman’s Image Comics series and is showrun by Scott Gimple, continues to be a ratings behemoth for the cabler. After factoring in three days of time-shifted viewing, Sunday’s episode — which saw the end of at least one pivotal character — delivered 18.2 million viewers, with 12 million adults 18-49 and 11.5 million adults 25-54 in live+3 ratings. It was up across the board vs. the third episode of last season, according to Nielsen.

Sunday’s episode also served as a strong lead-in to the drama’s corresponding “Talking Dead” series, which is hosted by comedian Chris Hardwick. That episode became the chat show’s highest-rated episode ever that was not a premiere or a finale. It delivered 7.3 million viewers, with 4.6 million adults 18-49 and 4.7 million adults 25-54 in live+3.

“Thank goodness someone had a Magic 8-Ball with them in our many long internal meetings about these renewals. When, on the third shake, ‘without a doubt’ filled the murky blue screen, we knew we had to proceed with new seasons of ‘The Walking Dead’ and ‘Talking Dead,’” said Charlie Collier, president of AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “All joking aside, we are so proud to share these shows with fans who have been so passionate, communicative and engaged. We are grateful for and continually impressed by the talent, effort and excellence on continuous display by Robert Kirkman, Scott Gimple, Chris Hardwick and the many people with whom we partner to make these unique shows possible. The result: More Walking and Talking. Hooray.”

“The Walking Dead” has come to define AMC beyond prestige dramas “Breaking Bad” and “Mad Men,” and is also credited for ushering in the current wave of comic book-centric programming throughout the TV landscape. The cabler is continuing the trend with the upcoming “Preacher” series from Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and “Breaking Bad” alum Sam Catlin.

The zombie juggernaut also recently spawned its own hit spinoff, “Fear the Walking Dead,” which set a cable record for the highest rated first season ever. Its 15-episode second season will air next year.

1. robin says:

We are going to miss Glen

• Carol says:

He is alive. For now at least. They are eating Nicholas, not him. He can hide under the dumpster if he thinks fast (and he always does). At least, that`s my conclusion :)

2. Patty says:

Season 6 of the Walking Dead should be on regular TV now or on Netflix so more people can watch the show…..not everybody that likes to watch the show has or can afford to buy cable……sucks

3. Zombi Lover says:

Without Glen not much chance of going to the big screen, unless they introduce new long standing characters.Could put out a movie every year keeping with the storyline good way to keep us wanting more. could shoot movie during regular seson.

4. I love, love this show i never tire of watching it over and over again,what angers me is that none of these superb actors have never been nominated for a emmy,they give one to just call saul which was a terrible show,and ignore TWD its not fair there is not a show that can compete with this show,iff I had any say whatever they would all receive awards. Thanks for letting me blow off steam. A devoted fan for ever

5. Patrick says:

Interesting. A program about the United States Congress.

6. victor wiscovitch says:

I have been a TWD fan from day one. No tv series past or present has ever held my interest so strongly. I have grown to love Rick & other principal players and when one goes..he/she is missed. I know that in a zombie apocalypse, we are going to get the unexpected, and so I will miss Glenn like everyone else will but rejoice at you.news of renewal for a 7th season! I also LIKE & look forward to season 2 of FTWD.

7. Will the 7th season of the walking dead still b shown on fox UK. .If not this is totally unfair to all how have not got amc from BT in the UK ……

8. Chris Caban says:

Thank you soooo much AMC!!!!!!!

9. sharon dunbar says:

This is my favorite show of all time. I’m obssedd with the walking dead! I even watch reruns on the cw channel. My 17 yr. Old granddaughter turned me on to it. My daughter says glen & Maggie did not die! Wishful thinking!!

10. Don Sparks says:

Maybe Glem will come back as a walker and eat some bad guys!

11. Will says:

So Carl wont have to shot is father this season…plz make it happen in season 7 !
    (yeah im a maniac)