‘The Walking Dead’ Boss Weighs in on Latest Death (SPOILERS)

The Walking Dead: Breaking Down Glenn's
AMC

Spoiler warning: Do not read on unless you’ve seen “The Walking Dead” season six, episode three, titled “Thank You.”

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” shocked fans on Sunday night with the unexpected (and, if you’re a fan of Robert Kirkman’s comic books, premature) death of Steven Yeun’s Glenn Rhee, and the internet is already rife with speculation that the grisly demise was somehow a fake-out, dream sequence or hallucination. (Mostly because we’re all in denial.)

Showrunner Scott M. Gimple, no doubt predicting the online meltdown that was sure to ensue, sent a statement for Chris Hardwick to read on “The Talking Dead” following the controversial episode, which may or may not reassure fans about Glenn’s fate.

“Dear fans of ‘The Walking Dead,’ this is a hard story to tell and when we were planning to tell it, we knew our friends at the ‘Talking Dead would be talking to you about it. And knowing you’d all be talking and feeling and commiserating, I knew we should say something about it, lest our silence say something we didn’t mean to say or not say. So I’ll say this: In some way, we will see Glenn, some version of Glenn, or parts of Glenn again, either in flashback or in the current story, to help complete the story.”

Yeun has always had a fairly levelheaded outlook on his character’s fate — perhaps because Glenn has always been on borrowed time, as far as comic book fans are concerned. Before season five began, Yeun was quoted by Vanity Fair as saying, “I don’t particularly want to subscribe to the idea that this show can kill off anybody it wants. Yes, it can. Yes, that’s a thing. That’s definitely a thing. But I think that’s not the point of the show. ‘Game of Thrones’ kills people left and right and yet that’s not the point of the show… We talk in terms of ‘are you afraid to get killed off?’ And for me, if it serves the story, I’m game for anything. I hope people can watch the show in that same regard. Stop watching it to see if your favorite character is still alive. That’s kind of been on my mind lately because you notice a lot of fans saying ‘we want you to live, or we want this person to die’ and it’s like, that’s not what the show’s about.”

What do you think of Glenn’s fate, and when do you think we’ll see him next?

1. Precisely what I was looking for, appreciate it for putting up.

2. Honeybun says:

I’m very disappointed in his death.He should have never died in that way.They killed him off to start a new relationship with Maggie an the other guy.

3. caonabo says:

is Glen is dead I’m going to broke up with my girl

4. Patchy says:

Did anyone notice that when Glenn was about to fall while he was holding Nicholas… he was wearing a dirty brown 3/4 polo… and when he landed (the ripping intestines part) he was wearing a grey shirt (?) i’m not quite sure if it was actually a shirt… the point is why was it like that? did he magically take of his upper clothing while falling? or are we actually seeing another scene from another time? and if you saw the pic of Steven (Glenn) on the set with the new character (”Jesus”) to be introduced on the later part of the season, he was actually wearing a grey 3/4 shirt but on that photo he’s actually clean and blood free… so let me know your thoughts about that. thanks. :) and P.S. I still kinda believe that Glenn is alive. #Hoping

5. Eubert says:

I don’t remember in what episode was, but there was a scene where Rick and the rest of the crew needed to cross over the town and there were many walkers, so the idea was to fill with blood of dead people and get through the walkers. I believe when Nicholas landed over Glenn the walkers are ripping off his body and then full of blood is coming out and Glenn would be splashed of blood. That is the only way he could escape of the zombies. Same way happened with Carol, when she needed to survive from walkers, she got sprayed of blood all over her body.

6. suza says:

so I re watched it
    first off Nick was out of bullets then he was in another world , one of fear
    now if he did shoot himself he landed on glen body you see the body ripped apart then for a second you see part of glen body it was un touched
    he lived or they made a error in shooting this

7. Cas says:

I will stop watching this show is Glenn is dead.

8. Kenzie says:

he is not dead when u get bit blood comes out of your mouth and blood was not coming out of his mouth so he is not dead

9. Question says:

How come, people like Glenn killed like that? I think Glenn can handle the situation like that, like climb to building using fence may be. i think it just fake death. if its not, it would be bad story, even marle dixon got killed in more better way.

10. Jewles says:

The show is only about who gets killed next. The writing is too flat to try and build anything else meaningful.

11. mikeinsa says:

Glenn is alive. He pulled Nicolas on top of him, when they went off the dumpster. Then, whilst the zombies were chowing down Nick, Glenn rolled under the dumpster.

Otherwise, Maggie is pregnant.

Help Wanted: Walker Bait.

12. Erica says:

As much as I would love for Glenn to be alive, it is impossible with that amount of walkers around. If the writers of this show somehow make it so that he does survive, it would be bad writing because it is just so improbable!

13. Maelani says:

Hello, so I went to IMDb pro to see how many episodes Steven Yeun is in this season, and he’s slated for all 16 episodes. I could be wrong. :-) Go see for yourself.

14. Thomas says:

While my wife and I do like Glenn a lot (we do see him as Rick’s “surrogate” or second should anything happen to him or Carl) we are both in agreement that – IF – this is what helps propel the show forward then so be it. However, just based on the fall, and how Nicholas landed on Glenn, it does appear that it is Nicholas than ends up as the Applebee’s Appetizer de jour.
    We have seen in past episodes where our merry band has run into swarms of walkers, and still made it through the mob with nary a scratch. We both feel that – IF – the writers did not kill him then we will see (Look at it this way … maybe Steve Yeun needed some time for a vacation, or perhaps a honeymoon, or his brother needed his help at the Korean/Mediterranean fusion restaurant they are both involved in.)

15. TWD says:

I think Glen’s dead. Hyundai has left TWD. Glen’s Korean, so as Hyundai.

16. Eric says:

Nicholas falls on Glenn.
    Glen freaks out that Nicholas is being eaten.
    Glen fires his flare gun to momentarily distract zombies and/or as a call for help.
    Proceeds to grab Nicholas’s pistol and shoots off whatever zombies blocking dumpster.
    Hops inside dumpster away from the horde and gets on radio.
    Rick will say, “hey dumbass” repay the favor and Daryl will lure them away.
    Or he’s dead. Because he looks like he’s in agony. #teamdenial

17. Han says:

If you watch carefully you can see that there is enough room beneath the trash bin for a body to fit and also you will see there is definitely a body on top of Glenn in which the walkers are gorging their faces in, looked like intestines. I mention the intestines because one can see that the Glenn’s body portion seen is the top and you not would be seeing intestines being ripped off from there. I believe there is a strong possibility for Glenn being alive but we won’t know that till the next few episodes to come as this seems to be the trend on The Walking Dead. My two cents.

18. Annettte says:

Regardless of whether Glen is dead or not, I believe Maggie is pregnant. I don’t believe Glen is dead b/c we didn’t see him being torn apart. If he is dead, this would be the first time in that they ambiguously killed off someone. If the walkers were eating him, they would have also eaten his head and neck, which were exposed. I would hope that the writers would at least give him a hero’s death. Even Merle was given a good death! If Glen is not dead, then shame on the writers for cheap theatrics. I suppose it’s possible that Glen scoots under the dumpster and finds a hole and crawls up in the dumpster the way that Rick got into the tank in Season 1. Or Enid could be nearby and could create a diversion with her little plastic timer!

• Annettte says:

Glen dying that way would also make Nicholas’ death pointless. I get that many deaths on the show are pointless and random. However, the episode was titled, “Thank You,” which is what Nicholas said right before he shot himself. I thought that Nicholas killed himself, hoping, at least in part, that his body would be a distraction and give Glen a chance to escape. If Glen dies, then no one will ever know that he gave Glen a chance.

19. Ryan says:

SPOILERS….

The dumpster theory just doesn’t work, because if you look carefully, it is absolutely surrounded by walkers. even if he managed to get underneath it, they would eventually get him anyway. ( remember Rick trying to hide underneath the tank in season 1, they just crawled under to get him. ) Furthermore, when he falls on the ground, you can clearly see that his upper torso is exposed, and there are zombies all around him, and he is screaming. even if Nick is on top of him, the walkers aren’t just going to ignore the head and shoulders that are screaming in agony, that would be just absurd considering that walkers clearly react to noise. As the camera pans away, you can see that he is not even trying to get under the dumpster, and the walkers are descending on him. I refuse to believe that with that kind of horde engulfing him from all sides, that he would possibly survive without even one bite or a scratch… As a matter of fact, it would be insulting for them to propose such an idiotic turn of events.

I understand people get attached to characters, but let’s face it, this is not the first principle character to die by any means. Dale, Shane, Lori, Beth, Bob, Hershell, Andrea, Tyrese… etc… Why all of a sudden is it any less plausible that they would kill Glenn???

Go back on your DVR, pause and watch it frame by frame, and you will come away convinced that he is toast.

I liked Glenn too, but c’mon guys, this show has never been about happy endings… have you actually been paying attention for the past few seasons???

• mikeinsa says:

A good idea for everyone to go back and watch season 1 and 2 again. The walkers were more agile and cognitive of their surroundings. When Andrea was in Dale’s RV, the walker that came in, looked around and even tried to open the bathroom door. Now, they stagger around like they have a hangover.

20. tim says:

I think Beth will ride in on her rainbow unicorn and swoop glenn up and save the day!! ok ok ok…as a huge bethyler i’m kidding. Beth died in a very very stupid and pointless way. It’s impossible for her to live….it’s also impossible for glenn to escape all those zombies without even a scratch so BRING ON THE UNICORN!!!

21. Beth says:

Glenn is using Nicholas as a shield , he is gonna hide under the dumpster!!!!!

22. Lisa says:

I could have sworn those were his intestines that were being pulled out of him since he was screaming. That sucks! I’m still stuck on them killing Beth two years ago…and now Glenn. And now Rick is freaking out in the RV.

23. I can see that Nicholas fell on top of Glenn. And I can understand why people think he still alive if he is how in the hell he going to survive a hurd that big it’s impossible he was surrounded with the zombies eating Nicholas which is no top of Glenn

24. Panko1 says:

Glenn is on a comma so his fate is not confirmed. If Glenn survives it depends on our recepetion of how we deal with this. If we stop watching the show they will feel forced to bring him back some how since ratings can’t die. They should forget the comic book and lead the story for a better ending instead of letting the comic book destroy the show with all those character death spoilers. The show is not the comic book and should never be. So why can’t different characters from the comic book die or survive in the show, is that a rule?

• chris OBrien says:

They do though carol should’ve died a long time ago Daryl isn’t even in the comic book and it they followed it exactly glenn would still be aliveon the show!

25. omarespinosa says:

i think this show best remember its syfy.that means not real,? scott gimbal is not the show. his just a writer with good material to work with. HAS FOR ME, i think they dont have enough good material to make 8 seasons negan has at most 2 seasons, killing glen was a bad move for ratings… and sticking to the comics will kill this show. imagination rethink the comics. etc etc

26. caleb says:

How did Nicolas shoot himself if there were no more rounds left in his pistol what if he was just hallucinateing

27. Brittany Rayburn says:

Why did Nicolas shot himself when he was going to kill Glenn also I think the hole group should sticked together because now everybody dieing

28. caleb says:

and his t shirt is not getting ripped by the walkers

• Andrea says:

Yeah- his intestines are pretty high up to be his own… I call B.S. Plus does this mean Maggie is pregnant? Because they hinted at that on the couch during the meeting. Plus… weren’t they out of ammo? Arrgghhhhhh!!! Nooooooooo!

29. Juan says:

Glenn is like family and i know he no dead

30. caleb says:

sorry for my spelling my key suck on my laptop I said glen is not did because on the talking dead it did not show him getting killed by the walkers it just showed every one else not glen

31. Zombie fan says:

If they’re (the writers) just going to go down the “game of predicable yawns on HBO” road of nihilism and demoralization then I’m just going to switch to watching z nation instead. That show is way more fun to watch anyway. Sick of these people running around in circles waiting to get eaten.

• caleb says:

and if you look again you can see all the walkers going near the spot that Nicholas fell they did not go near glen face

32. caleb says:

glen is not dead because on the talking dead it did no on all the deaths it did not show glen getting killed by the walkers it just showed everyone else not him getting killed so I think he is still alive

33. maxinemaven says:

“In some way, we will see Glenn, some version of Glenn, or parts of Glenn again, either in flashback or in the current story, ” So, does no one think that Maggie might be pregnant with Glenn’s child?
    That DEFINITELY qualifies as some version/parts of/AND flashback. So yeah, he’s dead, but his legacy isn’t.

34. nokill says:

Please, live Glenn, is best people on the walking dead. :/ :(

• Andrea says:

I think she’s pregnant- or at least a possibility. They discussed it sitting on the couch when they were talking about her NOT going and staying at Alexandria

35. He is still alive, Glenn was wearing a beige shirt and Nathan grey and from this pic you can see grey topped Nathan (Outline in red)is is on top of Glenn

36. calljb1023 says:

Until I see Steven Yuen on the Talking Dead couch and featured on their In Memoriun segment, I cannot believe he’s dead. I see two scenarios here. Either the walkers were feasting on Nicholas and Glen escapes because he was masked by “dead” smell or we see him when we’re back in present time (next week looks like a Morgan flashback episode) as a walker to which he is then present for Talking Dead goodbyes.
    I’m frankly hoping for the former scenario…

37. Jeff Chmielewski says:

I will stop watching the walking dead now.

38. Lalita says:

Pls .. don’t do this to us. Bring Glenn Back. Don’t lose any crew.. No more.

39. Geovanny says:

Something is weird about that scene…. In the beginning of the scene, Glenn is showing holding a knife and the other guy has a gun. Cut away to them falling and Glenn has the gun in his hand and the other guy has the knife….

Unless it’s a major continuity error, something is up.

I don’t think Glenn is dead.

40. James T Doe says:

spammers and trolls should go the way of Glenn!

41. So Nick shoots himself, the blood flies everywhere…..maybe Glen is standing on top of the dumpster watching Nick fall, and imagining it is him. Notice they show the fence, not directly behind, but to the side that is covered in ivy? It appears to be clear of walkers. After his shock, Glen could vault that…..or he could be dead……just sayin.

42. becka lobe says:

I think Glenn is dead, and this will be confirmed in a flashback. I think he realized that he might fail to get to the feedstore, and rigged a bomb of some sort to create a distraction, even in the event of his death. Selfless, not weak, to the end……

43. True story, I swear... says:

The show is about weakness, morality and survival. Glenn showed weakness with trying to redeem Nick and it cost him. Morgan showed weakness with the Wolves and it almost (or may) cost Rick (the Wolves Morgan let go attack Rick in the RV).

The rules of civilization have changed. That’s what this show is about.

44. Regina says:

Thank you for talking about Glen’s death. It was extremely upsetting and I needed to read about it to help myself understand how the show could go this!

• Fiona says:

I’m not a fan of many shows (i.e. watch consistently), but I do like the Walking Dead AND Glenn and I am mourning his death too. although I want him to live, bringing him back may seem unauthentic and could hurt the show.

45. Kimberly says:

As for the above poll, I don’t think either of the four choices is how we’ll see “some version or some part of Glenn.” My guess is that Maggie is pregnant, and the “some version” that Scott Gimple referred to is Glenn’s baby with Maggie.

Don’t get me wrong – I love Glenn. I was stunned when I saw that scene tonight. I literally cried! (Yes, I take TWD *that* seriously.). But I think having him come back from the dead via a dream sequence, showing up as a walker, and surviving that massive clusterf*** are all ridiculous choices. One of the things I love about TWD is that it’s portrayal of life is real (even if we aren’t living in a post-zombie-apocalyptic world). Not only to annoying, evil, or minor people get killed, but so do the good people in our lives. At some point in everyone’s life, he-she has unexpectedly lost someone near and dear to them. It sucks, but that’s how it goes in the world. I didn’t want to see Glenn die, but please don’t bring him back in some kind of “Bobby Ewing in Dallas” type situation.

46. Jim says:

What hackneyed garbage. An uber depressed Ted Raimi writes more reasonable drama in comparison to this tripe. I wonder if anyone writing this show understands what a pun is? They certainly excel at unintentional comedy.

47. Jesse Woodruff says:

Instagram shut me down. Thanks freedom of speech. I say this with absolute resolve. Your show has finally turned me off and I am done. Not that I matter to you but I have had enough. You suck The Walking Dead. There is enough bad in the world. I don’t need to be reminded in something that is supposed to be entertainment, that being a good person gains you nothing in life. Thanks for wasting hours of my life.

• Carlos says:

Oh man people like you both make me laugh and cry at the same time!

You special little snowflakes can’t even deal with “bad in the world” in a fictional drama.

Now go take your Xanax.

• globochem says:

Carlos, you are on a roll. These people are nuts. All this whining over a character dying on a television show. A television show about zombies that eat people, no less. People are going to die. That is how it works. Holy cow, get a grip, people. Oh, you’re not going to watch a show you’ve been watching for over five seasons because a character died? What is wrong with you!?

• Jim says:

Lol. You are such a loser.

48. Plunklet says:

I think the guy who shot himself in the head fell on top of him when they fell off of the dumpster and the walkers are pulling his insides out while on top of Glenn. While Glenn is hallucinating thinking its him. Maybe?

• S Mury says:

If you notice in the first part of the scene Glenn and Nicholas are wearin the exact same shirts. This makes me think that the death is a fake out and that Glenn will crawl beneath the dumpster or be saved some other way.

• Ang says:

May your words be heard from above. Glen can’t be dead. I refuse to believe it

49. Alicia says:

I think he’s dead … but I think he “comes back’ in the form of Maggie maybe being pregnant … so part him him stays alive.

50. Chris Patterson says:

They didn’t say goodbye to Glen on the talking dead they just showed him, he is not dead!