TV Land Yanks ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ Amid Confederate Flag Backlash

Dukes of Hazzard Confederate Flag
Courtesy of CBS

Reruns of “The Dukes of Hazzard” have been quietly pulled from TV Land’s daytime schedule at a moment of heightened sensitivity to Confederate flag imagery.

The Warner Bros.-produced series that aired on CBS from 1979-85 revolves around two Southern cousins who race around their small town in a souped-up 1969 Dodge Charger, dubbed the General Lee, with the Confederate flag emblazoned on the hood. TV Land pulled the show on Monday, a rep confirmed.

TV Land declined to elaborate on the decision, but it is clearly a response to the broader movement to withdraw the flag from official settings and in pop culture, given its historic connection to slavery and the Civil War. The push to remove Confederate flags and Stars and Bars icons came last month in the wake of the slayings of nine African-Americans in a Charleston church allegedly by a 21-year-old white supremacist.

After the governor of South Carolina called for the flag’s removal from the state’s capital last month, numerous entities pledged to stop manufacturing or distributing items with Confederate flag imagery. Warner Bros. was among them as it still maintains a line of “Dukes of Hazzard” merchandise.

1. Jim says:

Yes they are taking it to far. No one wants slavery but the flag stands for more than slavery. The Dukes and the General Lee did more to bring everyone together and laugh than a lot more shows did. If we cant fly the flag under the Americana & State flag which all will agree comes first. Then no more other flags are to be displayed other than the State flag and the American flag. Oh isn’t that taking away constitution rights that this country was founded on. I guess no one cares about that. I say if you don’t want to fly a flag other than the American flag then don’t fly one. It’s still your choice but it may not be for long. But remember what’s good for one is good for all.

2. kim says:

I think they are taking it way to far. Whats good for 1 race is good for the other so any raciule show should not be put on the air.

3. lee amer says:

to all .quit this wanting to take down our heritage the confederate flag,it has been flying for a long time,if this flag comes down,so will THE US. as we know it now,it took a civil war to get it ,what`s it going to take it down.A NEW CIVIL WAR 2 ,so be it,god will be behind me.

4. Dennis Johnson says:

Why should just a handful of people who don’t even know what the meaning of the flag stands for, make it mean what their stupid minds think it means. If you don’t want to watch the dukes then turn the channel.maybe they are to stupid to do that too.take everything off that has a American flag in it off too, because apparently it does not mean what it is supposed to mean ether. Because we have no freedom to choose for our selves anymore. Let’s stop celebrating any of the wars and the people who served in them. The ones who served in the confederate army deserves the same respect as all the others. Put dukes back on.

5. OVERKILL OVERKILL OVERKILL. That show was NOT about what the Flag stands for. May has well pull HOGAN’S HEROES because it has Nazis in it. And you could pull all movies or shows that have the Nazi flag in it. HOW RIDICULOUS! Hogan’s Hero’s was a Parody actually that did not glorify the flag. It made people laugh in a good way, which is one of the purposes of entertainment.

6. Mike says:

You just offended 90% of your viewers. All this political correctness has now got out of hand. I’m done with anything ViaCom, WarnerBrothers and Walmart. If these companies are not smart enough to understand what that flag really stands for, good riddance.

7. W. Baker says:

Shame on you. We cannot do away with history. It happened. I agree it is southern heritage not racism. Does racism have to brought into everything? If the American flag had been used – would you decide to do away with it.

8. Me says:

My wife and I watched TV Land every night before bed. Now that you have given in to all the liberals and taken off the “Dukes” just because of a rebel flag we will no longer watch your channel. If anyone thinks the confederate flag is racist they need a history lesson including you TV Land! I believe if you think the flag is racist you might be racist yourself just for thinking that. This is southern heritage not racism! Goodbye TV Land!

9. Susie hinote says:

I will No longer support or watch your network. Not only am I OFFENDED by the removal of The Dukes of Hazzard, I am OFFENDED As a Christian that your station would support a new show called,” Impastor”; which is Sacrreligious not to mention”OFFENSIVE”. As For me and MY house, We will Serve The Lord, and BOYCOTT your station.

10. Dianne Batchelor says:

Ok so explain this…why are they still running the Jefferson’s???? I mean he uses racial slurs like honey almost every episode.

11. Darlene says:

strange that when they made the movie they never thought that the flag on top of the General Lee would make such a horrible statement some 30yrs later. It is a crock and some peoples twisted way of thinking. I live in South Carolina and a lot of us didn’t agree with taking the flag down but even since they did, it is an institution and part of history that really belongs in a museum. But it still doesn’t have anything to do with the Dukes of Hazard or the General Lee or the show. It was a good, clean show to watch with some wild moves by some guys who loved jumping over creeks and driving to outrun a crooked sheriff and Boss Hogg who seemed to have to much control because of his wifes money. The show makes people feel a little wild and free and feeling like you can over come the bad with good. To bad the people in charge of Tv Land doesn’t understand that. What a shame…

12. Gary Stokes says:

You no if you want why don’t you just condeem the whole country its heritage if you wanna ban hate then get rid of bandannas that all gang members wear not something that represents the courage and honor of soldiers

13. John Campbell says:

If people really want to help, send an e-mail to all of the South Carolina State House Representatives. Ask them to not allow the Battle flag to be handed over to a bunch of racists, keep it flying or present it to the AME church as a symbol of unity and replace it with a fresh one. Do it now before they convene on Monday so those e-mails of support and grace are in their inboxes Monday morning.

Also, Contact “Cooter’s Place” and buy yourself a Confederate flag or a model of the General Lee 01. They’re authentic and serialized collectors items. Don’t buy them from Warner brothers. Reward the people who stand up for liberty, freedom, especially rights.

14. Daisy says:

Shame on you. This is just censorship through and through. When I don’t care for a show or a show offends me I change the channel—I actually change the channels a lot bc the programming is mindless and generally filthy. It has become keeping up with the Jones’ and who has more bling. There are no stories or morals anymore!!
    I have contacted my cable company, emailed Viacom and plan to boycott the sponsers of their stations. I am tired of being offended by the garbage on tv and saddened you choose to take off shows that I like.
    The people on that show and the General Lee did not cause damage–sadly one individual did. Maybe you should look at how he was failed and fix that. GOD BLESS the poor souls that lost their lives and are being ignored.

15. allen says:

Nobody should watch TV Land now. I agree this is stupid.

16. TV Land is just Crap now! Could not even get thru one episode of Impastor. WTF!

I have never been a fan of Dukes of Hazzard, but taking them off the air is the last straw for me. I am done with this stupid network of too pc fanatics. Goodbye until you fools grow a pair and apologize for being so wrapped up in your own pc bubble of group-think and puking pablum.

17. I will no longer watch TV Land or anything affiliated with them!

18. robert parent says:

Pulling the Dukes of Hazzard is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, it’s a feel good move for TV Land executives ONLY,,, period. NO regard for the viewers, no evidence to support. I enjoy TV land but now I’m pulling the plug on them. Good by TV Land !!!

19. Mary Kay Beardeb says:

I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life! Talk about a kneejerk reaction! Does this mean you will no longer show “Gone with the Wind”? How about “Birth of a Nation”?
    What racist comments or moves were ever actually shown on the Dukes of Hazzard? None that I can recall.
    Yes, it was kind of a stupid show-but they weren’t mean or racist.
    Please reconsider this ill-advised move.

20. josh peppers says:

Umm if I remember right the confederate flag was on the roof of the car not emblazoned on the hood!

21. And another spineless business falls before the dreaded army of lemmings. Perhaps the fans of these
    bygone era programs should pull their support from TV Land as a response to the lunacy of stopping
    racism by removing an inanimate object

22. Butch16335 says:

Call your cable co and tell them you want to take off TV land

23. Uncle A says:

TVLand can’t stop me from buying a Dukes DVD or a model of the General Lee.

24. Mary Walls says:

I can’t think of much more disrespectful than Impastor! You may want to start
    by removing that.

25. Greg Sheldon says:

I’ve always heard the South will rise again, I think it’s about time they did cause half the North will join them.

26. Jeff says:

The removal of The Dukes of Hazard is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard of. Just because some idiot does something wrong, are we going to let that dictate what we watch on TV??? Let’s cancel all the westerns, war movies, police shows and Bugs Bunny because these all show more violence and killings than the Dukes did. All they ever did was wreck a few cars and no one was ever hurt. (And usually it was to teach humanity/someone a lesson). I (and my family) will not watch TV Land anymore because of your actions. Tell that to the minority your giving-in to. (Along with your advertisers).

27. DFK says:

This is ridiculous! To remove a show simply because of a symbol? If this show is cut my family will no longer watch anything on TV Land. It will be blocked from viewing!

28. Bdg says:

TV Land will no longer be viewed on my TV this is insane the confederate flag was the Rebels battle flag and in no way a racist statement

29. Robert lord says:

The confederate flag flew for 4 years under slavery but the American flag flew for 84 years under slavery and still is today the only true Americans are the native Indians which had their land stolen from them

30. Vickie Taylor says:

Not airing the show is not going to stop anything racial from happening, it is just taking away a show we loved because the flag was rarely shown in the first place being that it was on top of the car, The gay crap you show is fine and a clean country show like the Duke’s being removed s ridiculous. Please put the show back on so we can have some good memories of years gone by.

31. Eritrea Cooper says:

I am a 38yr old black American woman. I love the dukes of hazards growing up. I even loved watching it in the 21 st century. I would rather watch that than the bullshit they produce today. I’m sad today that we have come down to good tv shows being taken away. Soon our country will be communist because they are on the way to controlling our every move. BRING IT BACK I LOVE THE DUKES!!!

32. Ryan thurman says:

If there gonna pull some of the best shows on tv then they need to go out of business. I would much rather have my kids watch this kind of show them all the crap with sex and killing one another. Yea I am from a confederate state and I am proud of my heritage. The major problem with this is the government is trying the same things it did before the civil war and they are trying to distract us. What they forget is we redneck and we don’t forget and the south will rise again.

33. ObserverMI says:

TV Land, really?
    There’s ignorant and there’s willfully stupid.
    They’re being willfully stupid and spineless let alone not a spark of common sense.

34. john mefford says:

I will never watch TV land again .it seems like freedom of speech and freedom period is under attack in america Hank Williams Jr is a perfect example somebody owes that man an apology .Lord help the regular working man who don’t have time to even think about racism because were worried about paying bills and wives cheating .lbvs I love America and Dukes of Hazard and I’m white if that make someone racist I guess I am. NOT! Freedom is letting people like what they want I mean this Bruce Jenner or how ever you spell its name GOD IS REAL AND HE AINT GONNA GO FOR THIS SODOM AND AMERICA SHIT HE WILL MAKE US START PRAYING AGAIN . thanks y’all Johnny Mefford

35. Marty Wolfe says:

I have removed TV land from my channels. I was for the removal of the flag over a govt building, but now the removing of our history, monuments, TV shows, movies, books, …..What’s next. George Washington owned slaves, I say ban him from the dollar bill.

36. Grace says:

When will we nonconforming, non PC Americans rail against the incredulous insanity that is “fundamentally transforming” our country into an “Obamanation”? God help us all before it’s too late….

37. John Mobley says:

Take it down for a tiny percentage of the viewing public. Dumb idea and one that haunts your budget forever.

38. Cathy says:

Well will not be watching this network, absolutely ridiculous move……GOD JOB

39. Keena says:

This is the epitome of ridiculous! Bring back the Dukes of Hazzard!

40. Ruth says:

People should not watch this channel……the flag had nothing to do with the shooting. Kkk wore white sheets, should we not ban the use of white sheets also? Trying to point out how flags and sheets are not the cause of the bad history. Stupid people do g stupid crop is the problem

41. ses says:

I cant believe you pulled this show. The Confederate flag is apart of Americas history. So are you going to pull other shows, such as westerns from your line up because there might be episodes with confederate soldiers in them? Hey, lets just rewrite the history books while we’re at it. We’ve already got a president who’s trying to rewrite the constitution. It won’t stop here people. We need to stand up to these actions. Americans need to stop sitting on the sidelines and going with the flow, or we’ll slide into hell with the rest of the world.

42. James Meredith says:

I deplore your action. Put that programming back on or we will drop you from our viewing and we will register complaints with your sponsors. Ken Meredith Alabama.

43. Owen T Mccarthy says:

I am ashamed to call myself an American , the Confederate flag is part of our history. We should defend our rights, history and livelyhood. .

44. Kathy says:

Are they serious??? Honestly. Grow a set!!!

45. In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.

To the past or to the future, to an age when thought is free, from the Age of Big Brother, from the Age of the Thought Police, from a dead man — greetings! –Orwell

I have blocked their Facebook Page. I started a hashtag on Twitter #censorTVLAND and will delete it from my PVR for genuinely being spineless and bowing to the Leftist Mob of Thought Police.

46. C. A. Hoaks says:

This is the beginning of censorship. Hitler took over Germany with firearms confiscation and controlling communication.

We now have politicals demanding gun control/confiscation and censorship. You learn from past mistakes. If we erase those mistakes, we are destined to repeat them. You folks are knuckling under to censorship by submitting to the demands of a few by letting them control what is being viewed on the TVLand network.

Previously, I would not watched the Dukes of Hazard, but I protest your removal under the guise of being race sensitivity. There is no blacks being mistreated, it’s purely a couple rednecks racing around in an orange care with a cross of blue with a few stars.

47. Jason R says:

This is unfortunate… TV Land just lost another viewer… me…

48. D M Stewart says:

This is ridiculous! The “Good Ol’ Boys” are a classic! This is taking ‘political correctness’ way too far!

49. I am boycotting TV Land what the hell is wrong in this country, Tv Land must be run by a bunch of Idiots.

50. Gunny Bill says:

Prior to all this censorship I didnt care one way or the other about the Virginia Battle flag, now being called the Confederate flag by the ignorant. But I will not support any company that bans this flag because a few dont like it. Therefore, TV Land has been banned from our home.