‘Turn: Washington’s Spies’ Renewed for Season 3 by AMC

Turn The Washington Spies AMC
Courtesy of AMC

AMC has given a third-season pickup to “Turn: Washington’s Spies,” the Revolutionary War drama that drew strong reviews for its second season but has struggled with low ratings and a low profile in pop culture.

Charlie Collier, president of AMC and SundanceTV, said the renewal was a recognition of the show’s creative strength and the growth it demonstrated across the 10-episode run of season two. In live-plus-7 ratings, the show’s total viewer average grew from 1.6 million viewers at the start of the season to 1.74 million by the June 8 finale.

“Turn” revolves around George Washington, Benedict Arnold and espionage activity during the war for independence.

Collier cited the vision laid out by exec producer and showrunner Craig Silverstein and exec producer Barry Josephson for season three stories as sealing the deal for the renewal. AMC has ordered 10 episodes to air in 2016.

“We think Craig and Barry delivered a wonderful season of storytelling this year,” Collier told Variety. “And there are so many historical touchpoints for where they will take the show next season.”

“Turn’s” large ensemble cast includes Jamie Bell, Ian Kahn, Seth Numrich, Daniel Henshall and Owain Yeoman.

“Turn” aired this spring as part of AMC’s new Monday night originals lineup anchored by “Better Call Saul” and docu series “Making of the Mob: New York.” Collier emphasized that the cabler wants to maintain a diverse crop of shows, ranging from period pieces “Turn” and “Hell on Wheels” to the sci-fi-flavored “Humans” — and of course, “The Walking Dead” and the upcoming “Fear the Walking Dead.”

“We always want to send a strong signal to the creative community that we will lean in to a diverse slate of stories,” Collier said.

1. Ray Wemple says:

I enjoyed TURN very much and the way the history was presented in novel form was terrific. Good acting by everyone and very good knowledge of historical events as portrayed. The severity of the War for Independence is portrayed I believe in a correct way. It does not paint a pretty picture like our kids history books did. The suspense and intrigue keeps one interested and on the edge of your seat. I hope we have many more seasons of TURN and related historical events portrayed accurately and in a good story line. Thanks for a very good TV show for a change!!

2. Millie Phillips says:

I loved” halt and fire” , hell on wheels, Turn, Why do you stop them in the middle I never get to the end . You never finish the movie..

3. Carol Kay says:

YEAH, “TURN” IS COMING BACK NEXT MONTH ! Glad to hear it. Us history buffs really enjoy the show especially since July 4th of 2016 will be America’s 240th anniversary !!

4. luv4mj says:

So glad Turn is coming back! Love learning about our forgotten heros xo

5. J LO says:

AN AVID VIEWER OF PBS/BBC FOR ABOUT 45 YRS AND CONSIDER AMC’S TURN:WASHINGTON
    SPIES PROGRAMMING EQUAL TO SOME OF THEIR SUPERB HISTORICAL PRESENTATIONS.
    SO GLAD ON THIS LAST SEARCH TO LEARN OF ITS RENEWAL. LOOK FORWARD TO THIS NEW SEASON. JL

6. Robert Weaver says:

I love the show and am very glad of the renewal, however I feel that some of the low ratings are due to the long time between seasons. This creates some difficulty with such a complex story line, I have to watch the last 2 or 3 episodes to refresh. this would be find if it were a mindless sit com or drama that had no consistent theme or story line

7. This is a pretty good show indeed, but i usually don’t start until i see the whole season on HBO because waiting a week for each episode is always a torture if you really loved a tv show. I am very pleased to see they have decided to renew it for another season:)

8. Jim says:

I love this show. There needs to be more shows with purpose and character development and this show fits the bill. AMC keep this show going again and again, please!

9. Rod Saarela says:

I have been following the series since the start. Too many young people don’t have a clue of what it took to form our nation. They have to see all the sacrifices they made to form this nation. Youngsters, don’t have a clue the hardships they endured .

10. Diana Lane says:

I am pleased that the series has been renewed. We have 3 generations watching “Turn”.

11. Pat says:

Glad to hear series was renewed

12. amyface23 says:

Will season 2 be on Netflix or Amazon instant video? Started watching as season 2 ended and want to be caught up for season 3!!

13. Amy says:

Anyone know if/when the second season will be available on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video? I need to see season 2! So excited there’s a season 3!!

14. Kevin says:

Excellent series that portrays history in a very interesting and suspenseful venue. Looking forward to another season…

15. corneybean says:

When does season three begin? Can’t wait. This show is absolutely captivating. We need this now in the condition our country is in.

16. Cayce says:

When does it start??? Can’t wait!!!!!!!

17. Lynai says:

This is an excellent show, I am so glad they renewed it!!

18. Bernadette says:

This show is better than others with higher ratings!! I think that the tv has too many vampires but so little history :/

19. Jg says:

Absolutely love this show . History has come alive with real people and venues that many of us have visited. Understand it is fictional, but a taste of the time as it may have been is thought provoking

20. Juanita Beliso says:

I love this show and can’t wait for next season :)

21. Brittani says:

Can’t wait for the next season. It’s too bad that there isn’t enough advertisement for this show. I think if people knew about it, they’d watch it more….maybe even partner up with ABC and share a profit on it since AMC isn’t a popular view among younger viewers. Being young myself…this show is amazing and articulates true culture. Love history.

22. Roger Wallace says:

I’m glad to hear it’s coming back. It gets about zero press / publicity, and that’s a shame. The writing and acting in this sleeper are both top notch.

23. IN THE KNOW says:

Love this show too – can’t wait for the next season to be on already!! It’s not just for history buffs! It has all the ingredients – mystery, spying, romance,battles,deception,scandal, action set against this incredible historic backdrop.

24. Love this show, Wish it was on more often. Hope the next season is here soon!

25. I absolutely love this show and so does my husband. I hope it gains a larger following. I don’t want to see it go away!!

26. Rita franz says:

A great and refreshing series. Humanizes historic figures.. Draws you in the more you watch it

27. dick bagel says:

awesome show I just discovered and binged watched all episodes on streamlord.
    wish the next season was coming sooner!

28. Andrea Di Lello says:

Thank you for Season 3. Love this show and will be watching…

29. Lorena Al-Ali says:

I loved this show, & binge watch it on Amazon Prime. I like the suggestion below to rerun seasons 1 & 2, leading up to 3 in the Spring 2016 lineup. Great acting, writing, all of it!! Thanks AMC!

30. Sharon Bachler says:

I’m thrilled to see that this wonderful show has been renewed for a third season. It’s one of the best shows on TV, and hope it continues for many more seasons.

• Teesa says:

Loved the second season of “Turn”, but think fans would appreciate new season picking up in October 2015 rather than waiting several months into 2016. For me it affects the continuity of the story. Another suggestion would be for AMC to run the episodes of Season 2 this fall in order to “keep the story alive.”

31. don says:

I have watched all episodes and really trying to be a fan but 2016? the seasons are always spaced out weird.

32. Sharon Kirkham says:

My husband and I started watching Turn last year and we love this show. When does the new season begin?

33. I looked forward to seeing the show “Turn Washington’s spies on Direct TV but it was not available when I searched for it.

34. Juergen Rinnert says:

We love Turn. We binge watch it and gladly pay for the rental. AMC don’t worry about the initial viewership. Consider the viewers throughout the year, they must add up to millions more as we tell all our friends to watch it.

35. Berto says:

“More important, the show’s numbers in affluent homes with annual incomes above $100,000 grew significantly during the season, as did its traction on VOD and streaming platforms with young adults.”

“More important”? That’s why nobody cares about your article.

36. Bob Green says:

This is a great story about Washington, Arnold and Major John Andre’. I have correspondence written and signed (Full Signature) by Andre’ giving Arnold direction on where they could meet to exchange information. You will never she this note in the history books. Really Good Stuff. Keep it going AMC…

37. Valerie says:

Please please please AMC green light another series of Halt and Catch Fire – it’s the best thing on TV. All my friends think so.

38. Great Show! I love it, I hope more people get interested in it.

39. jill says:

This is a great show. I wished more people were interested in it; the history of the U.S. We love it!

40. Joe mckenna says:

Awesome show. tired of watching complete garbage on tv today

41. Lawrence Wider says:

If you are on Reddit, then someone on Reddit started a campaign to tell AMC to renew Halt and Catch Fire for a third season. You don’t have to have a Reddit account to participate in the campaign. You can send letters to AMC telling them to renew HCF for a third season

42. DMB says:

I just started watching this show about a month ago on Netflix. I love it! Historical shows like this are so important. I wish tv executives would realize that with so so many really great quality shows on tv, cable, and other sources now, that people simply can’t watch everything, no matter how great it is, at or even around the time it airs. So ‘low ratings’ shouldn’t be such a factor in this day and age. I wish TV executives would concentrate more on the quality of shows. This, I think inaccurate ratings system, shouldn’t be such a huge factor in whether a show is renewed or not. So many amazing shows get cancelled because they are simply up against way too much competition now. So glad this show was renewed. Smart TV is such a good thing.

• Lynai says:

You are correct! As well many of us cut the cord and do not subscribe to any Cable or Dish and must wait for it to come out on Netflix or Amazon. If a show is good enough, I will go ahead and purchase it as it comes out on Amazon. Turn is one of those shows.

43. BettyO says:

Hooray! I look forward to Season Three. Season One and Two were awesome!!! Well acted, well scripted, and true to history. Couldn’t be happier right now.

44. Donna Gant says:

My husband and I have enjoyed both seasons of Turn, and look forward to Season 3

45. Omar Reyes says:

Low rating in “Pop culture” …. They can go jump in a lake…..Trust me, This show is GreATTT !!!

46. Pat and Bob Ramer says:

Wahoooooo. So happy to hear that you are continuing “Turn.” Excellent show, cast, topic, etc. My husband and I tape the show and watch it with our morning coffee (can’t wait any longer). Thank you.

47. silentpurr says:

I have to say that Turn, for me, has been an inspirational piece of creativity. I could hardly wait each week for the amazing story of early America to be told with such sensitivity and boldness. Thank you for reTurning!

48. Teri Fulton says:

I am so glad you renewed Turn, Love that show. Looking forward to season 3.

49. Any word on Halt & Catch Fire? Out of the two I find it more engrossing.

• Michael Siever says:

“The other sophomore season show on AMC’s air at present, “Halt and Catch Fire,” is also battling low ratings and visibility. Collier said the decision on “Halt’s” renewal will come once execs have the chance to analyze the show’s season-long stats.”

I like HCF, too, but AMC has made a tremendous mistake putting that show on the same time slot as Game of Thrones/True Detective. Apparently, they are very arrogant and think this indie show has a chance to compete with some of the biggest name shows right now, or they don’t care about it at all, and want it to get cancelled. I just can’t help but wonder if they would just move HCF to a different time slot and that would help solve these rating woes. Hell on Wheels is entering its fifth season next week, it comes on Saturday nights, and it’s never had the best ratings the network has yielded, but that hasn’t stopped them from making it to 5 seasons. There’s a potential time slot for HCF. They really only need to be putting The Walking Dead/Better Call Saul up against Game of Thrones/True Detective, since those shows can legitimately can compete with HBO’s flagship shows.

50. JoniVee says: