TNT Summer Slate Includes Three New Series, Ten Overall

The Last Ship Season 3 renewed

It will be another busy summer for TNT, which on Thursday announced a lineup that features 10 original series for a second straight year.

The young slate features three new series that will bow during the warm-weather months — “Proof,” “Public Morals” and “Cold Justice: Sex Crimes” — as well as three dramas returning for a second season. The Turner network will also be saying goodbye to veteran “Falling Skies.”

TNT’s summer gets under way on Monday, June 8, with the season-four premiere of Mary McDonnell-fronted drama “Major Crimes” and the season-two bow of “Murder in the First” — two shows that were also paired on Monday a year ago. “Murder,” from Steven Bochco and starring Taye Diggs and Kathleen Robertson, will again focus on a single murder investigation throughout the course of the season.

“Rizzoli & Isles,” cable’s most-watched series last summer, returns for its sixth season on Tuesday, June 16. It will be followed at 10 p.m. by new series “Proof,” in which a brilliant surgeon (Jennifer Beals) seeks to learn if death truly is the end, or if there’s something else beyond. Matthew Modine, David Sutcliffe and Joe Morton also star.

The series is produced by TNT, with Kyra Sedgwick, Rob Bragin, Tom Jacobson, Jill Littman and Alex Graves serving as executive producers.

The Sunday tandem of “The Last Ship” and “Falling Skies” returns in late June, with the former bowing with a two-hour episode on June 21 and the latter premiering its fifth and final season the following week. “Last Ship” was last summer’s No. 1 new series in both adults 25-54 (6.9 million viewers) and adults 25-54 (2.7 million), according to Nielsen Live+7 estimates.

TNT is making a Friday push this summer, pairing real-life crime series “Cold Justice” (at 8 p.m.) with spinoff “Cold Justice: Sex Crimes” at 9. Both shows from Wolf Reality and Magical Elves bow July 31.

In “Cold Justice: Sex Crimes,” former Texas prosecutors Casey Garrett and Alicia O’Neill travel to small towns around the country to help local law enforcement close cases that have sat dormant for years. Dick Wolf, Dan Cutforth & Jane Lipsitz and Tom Thayer serve as executive producers on “Cold Justice: Sex Crimes,” with “Cold Justice” expert Kelly Siegler also serving as an executive producer on the new show.

The last two TNT series to bow come in the back half of August, with newcomer “Public Morals” taking over the “Major Crimes” slot on Monday, Aug. 17, and Sean Bean-fronted “Legends” kicking off its second season on Tuesdays at 10 starting Aug. 25, replacing “Proof.”

“Public Morals,” written and directed by Edward Burns (who also stars), takes viewers to the seedy, gritty streets and the bright, seductive lights of 1960s New York. Michael Rapaport and Elizabeth Masucci co-star. “Morals” is produced in collaboration with Amblin Television and executive producers Steven Spielberg, Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank, the team behind “Falling Skies.” Also serving as executive producer is Aaron Lubin.

As announced previously, dramas “Dallas,” “Franklin & Bash” and “Perception” — all of which aired last summer on TNT — have been canceled.

TNT SUMMER PREMIERE DATES

Monday, June 8 — “Major Crimes” (9 p.m.) and “Murder in the First” (10 p.m.)

Tuesday, June 16 — “Rizzoli & Isles” (9 p.m.) and “Proof” (10 p.m.)

Sunday, June 21 — “The Last Ship” (9 p.m.)

Sunday, June 28 — “Falling Skies” (10 p.m.)

Friday, July 31 — “Cold Justice” (8 p.m.) and “Cold Justice: Sex Crimes” (9 p.m.)

Monday, Aug. 17 — “Public Morals” (9 p.m.)

Tuesday, Aug. 25 — “Legends” (10 p.m.)

1. Audrey Smith says:

The new show Claws began and because I live in Palmetto, FL I was so excited. Well, forget that. This show is disgusting and an insult to our town. I don’t care if you show it because I just won’t watch it, but don’t claim that it is about Palmetto, FL because this is an insult to anyone that lives here. Please take the name of our town off this show or cancel the show.

2. Suzanne Reynolds says:

I agree. Why did you cancel Castle reruns. First you moved them to middle of night/early morning. Then only on Friday afternoon. Now I can’t find them on TNT at all. The only other TNT show I watched was Rizzoli and Isles. Please bring Castle back in the afternoons.

3. Donna l Boissoneault says:

why cancel Rizzoli an Isle’s, why cancel Castle, those 2 shows have been on forever, why don’t you leave them on they rocked guess i will need to watch another station so sad now nothing to really watch .

4. Anita Comarata says:

hy cancel Rizzol i and Isles?????? it is such an awesome series with an amazing cast.finally a great show with strong women characters and TNT replaces it with the same old type shows starring unknown actors when yoU have a great show with great actors…Angie Harmon from L&O, Sasha Alexander fromNCIS Lorraine Bracco and Jordan Bridges ..have watched from Day one…bye bye TNT

5. sarah lawrence says:

I know you will feel I am behind on the times but the way you do scheduling, I figured perception would be coming at a later date. I have now found out that it has been cancelled. I am so disappointed in this decision. This was one of the few great shows TNT had and one that my family couldn’t wait for it to come back. We will have to reevaluate our feelings and showing an interest in a company that shows so little regard for good programming and leaving their viewers hanging while waiting for a show’s return.

6. Shad says:

I would like to know why you keep showing the same 3 golfer’s when there are like 60 more out there playing

7. Ginger says:

I am very disappointed you cancelled Perception, there’s really no other show like it. I’m still trying to wrap my head around why you kept such a stupid show like Falling Skies and cancelled Perception. Youre trying to edgier and trendy with these new show that sound ridicules but again you big execs have made yet another mistake and now you’ve lost yet another viewer. Bye TNT!!

8. Donna says:

Saw a commercial for a 2 hour program that is going to start real soon. I don’t remember the name of the program, but I would love to know more about it. I want to record it also. Can someone help me? Please.

9. Chriss Ghareeb says:

TNT is no longer one of my favorite networks. You’ve made huge mistakes by cancelling Franklin and Bash and Perception following on the heels of a bigger mistake cancelling Dallas. As soon as you make your final mistake (in my opionion) and cancel Rizzoli and Isles, I will have no reason to ever watch TNT ever again.

10. mollie colvin says:

Not bring perception back is a huge mistake. Perception and rizolli and isles is the only reason I watch tnt now one of those reasons is gone. Shows like falling skies are stupid but that ones coming back. BRING PERCEPTION BACK!!!!!!!!

11. Love any and all of the crime series from the USA, make great TV for British viewers.

12. c o says:

The Last Ship was so much fun to watch. Perfect summer time fodder.

13. pbp says:

Sounds like a good bunch of new shows coming for the as usual reruns for summer. Thank goodness for TNT showing new shows. Just wish Dallas was still on. Will really miss it.

14. Laura C says:

Hooray, more Major Crimes, Rizzoli and Isles, and Cold Justice. TNT is HOT! I also watch old repeats of Castle & Bones.