TLC Faces Pressure to Cancel ‘My Husband’s Not Gay’ Special, GLAAD Calls Show ‘Dangerous’

my husband's not gay glaad
TLC

TLC is facing growing criticism over the decision to air “My Husband’s Not Gay,” a one-hour special slated to air on Jan. 11, which follows a group of Mormon men who, according to the network’s description, “are happily married and attracted to their wives, but they are also attracted to other men. They refer to it as Same Sex Attraction… not gay, SSA.”

A Change.org petition protesting the special has amassed over 71,000 signatures urging TLC to cancel the broadcast. Josh Sanders, a gay Christian man, began the petition because he believes the show “promotes the false and dangerous idea that gay people can and should choose to be straight in order to be part of their faith communities… The men featured in this show deserve to be shown compassion and acceptance. Perhaps even more importantly, TV viewers need to know the horrific consequences of trying to change who you are. Instead, TLC is presenting victims’ lives as entertainment, while sending the message that being gay is something that can and ought to be changed, or that you should reject your sexual orientation by marrying someone of the opposite sex. This message is harmful to both LGBT people and communities of faith, and I call upon TLC to stop spreading such dangerous misinformation by cancelling ‘My Husband’s Not Gay’ immediately.”

GLAAD has also condemned the special. “This show is downright irresponsible,” said GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis in a statement. “No one can change who they love, and, more importantly, no one should have to. By investing in this dangerous programming, TLC is putting countless young LGBT people in harm’s way.”

TLC issued the following statement Tuesday morning: “TLC has long shared compelling stories about real people and different ways of life, without judgment. The individuals featured in this one-hour special reveal the decisions they have made, and speak only for themselves.”

Watch a preview of the special below.

1. cdhaskell says:

The only thing that Glaad did was to make My Husbands Not Gay because a hit and TLC got another winner on it hand. The viewer won’t forget about the special for a very long time. Well the husband told the wife the true about who they wanted to sleep and not claiming that they are straight while being gay behind closed door.

• chrisgeraldvogel says:

Certainly GLAAD enormously increased the audience for this, and among all sectors (that is, ordinary people and, most importantly. religious loonies). A very good thing. Blew the “ex-gay” nonsense right out of the water. You would think that the pronouncements of religious conservatives, about something they know nothing about (as usual), would not be taken seriously (their being used to ridiculous fabrications built on childish delusion and all), but they are, especially among their own kind. Anyhoo, this one case where they are going to have to come to terms with reality. A novel and painful experience, no doubt, but one they will have to get used to.

• cdhaskell says:

I agree with Chrisgeraldvogel about a lot of thing that they type about it The religious conservatives believe if the so- called gay person will pray to God that they will be cure and become straight which is dumb. We both know that the person isn’t cure but fooling themself. Life isn’t some lifetime movie where at the end of the movie where everyone is cure and living the straight and normal. This is why I love about The Day OF Wines And Roses where Lee Remick isn’t cure from her drinking problem and she and Jack Lemon and the movie child isn’t walk into the night as a family.

2. People are amazingly flexible; certainly, until recently, the vast majority of homosexual men and women (not to mention bisexuals, who are much more numerous) were in the closet and in heterosexual relationships, children and all. However, the men in this program seemed genuinely to be bisexual which is also something to which everyone will have to become used. On the other hand, at least some of them pretended to be “ex-gay”, which they clearly weren’t. This is further evidence, if it were needed, that “ex-gays”, and those who promote this nonsense, are frauds.

3. saintsfan says:

The show aired. I watched. I could never do that if my man was attracted to other men but they seem to be happy and are making it work.

4. Toby says:

This is actually a step forward for many people. It’s disingenuous for any group to protest that it doesn’t go far enough.

5. If GLAAD don’t like the special so much why don’t GLAAD get together and created their own so-called positive series/special.

6. Again I believe that thank to GLAAD uproar that TLC got a winner on it hand. I won’t be shock to see there will be a sequel to this special on it way.

• Me too. Since these guys admit, apparently repeatedly, that they are still attracted to men (normal for “ex-gays”), and that they fool around with each other. The sequel might be called “Mormon Boys Do Provo”, or some such, but you might have to pay to see it.

7. John... says:

Gay man here, content with myself and what I am, but not the brainwashed, group-think type.

I’m looking forward to watching this program and respect the rights of all; others to try their best to make their own lives happier, even in the face of the so called LGBT Community, which is basically more like a cult than it is the warm and fuzzy community it makes (fakes) itself out to be.

These so called gay activists, who assume their roles as representatives of the so called gay community are all self appointed, not voted for, so in reality they do not represent all of us who are gay. I like many other gay people do not subscribe to the homo-babble rhetoric these people have poisoned their own and each other’s minds with.

Equal rights are for everyone and nobody’s equal rights trump anyone else’s.

Go TLC!

8. Doug Dittmer says:

Sexual orientation is defined by sexual attraction – not by lifestyle choices. I would feel better about it if they portrayed it honestly. Perhaps they should interview Bonnie Kaye who runs an international support organization for women who married gay men. The overwhelming majority of mixed orientation marriages end in divorce within 10 years. The wives of and children then become the collateral damage – victims of the gay husband’s denial and fear. When the husband finally accepts his true nature in his 40s or 50s, the family is ripped apart and the husband finds himself going through a second adolescence, trying to reconcile his natural sexuality with the religion and culture of his family. Over the last 20 years I have coached hundreds of gay men coming out in midlife. The real stories – the story these men will be living in a few years – can be found in “Over the Cliff, Gay Husbands in Straight Marriages”.

9. Quillblade says:

It’s possible to be truly bisexual. In my case I call myself pansexual/demisexual. My issue isn’t that they’ve made the choice to marry women! I’m 95% attracted to male personality types but if the right woman comes along then I’m able to go for that relationship with all of my heart.

My issue with this isn’t that they’ve chosen to marry women, it’s that they’ve chosen to pretend it’s a faith thing. I’d point to Romans 14 and say that marrying someone with full faith is like eating from faith, but that if you marry someone without full faith that your marriage is right and just – or even if you just continue to date them – you’re sinning!

I can date either gender in full faith. I sincerely hope that these men have nothing at any point in the back of their head telling them they are not acting in faith.

10. aaaaa says:

Yeah TLC for giving both sides of the story to the American Public. We don’t censor our programing in America due to pressure!!!! Everybody watch this show, because we are free in America to have difference of opinions.

11. Val says:

As the former wife of a gay man (who pretended to be straight for as long as he could stand it, which wasn’t the entirety of our marriage), my heart breaks for these couples. Both the men and the women are denying who they really are and what they really need, and are “settling” for less than they deserve from a loving, marital relationship. For the wives, the self-doubt and poor self-esteem that results from knowing your husband will never truly desire you no matter what you do takes a huge mental toll. Everybody stands to be very hurt in this scenario – the wives, the husbands, the children and the rest of their families. Jesus was God’s wonderful creation, but religion is a man-made invention that often causes more harm than good. I hate to think how this show might influence young people, be they gay OR straight.

12. chrisgeraldvogel says:

Evidently, their husbands are, in fact, gay, or at least bisexual. If the former is true, this is more evidence, if it were needed, that “ex-gays” are not, ever, “ex” anything.

13. Kennandu says:

More rubbish from the 200lb testical channel. Their next show: Our channel really sucks “.

14. Dave says:

I feel sorry for the wives.

• cdhaskell says:

I still can’t believe My Husbands Not Gay will become a big fat hit because GLAAD make a uproar about the show. GLAAD should have look the other way and created their version of an positive GLAAD series/special.

• cdhaskell says:

GLAAD have make sure that this show will become a hit. The show try to show both side of the issue. The ladies knew that their husband isn’t straight and the husband isn’t hiding behind a straight mask.

15. The most arrogant people on Earth upset that their fundamentals are being challenged? Yawn. Human Interest piece? Hardly. Idiots.

16. zooey76 says:

I just saw clip on “The View”, that clip had me laughing harder than I have in a long time! I don’t mean to offend anybody but that was my immediate reaction, not premeditated or meant to be hurtful in anyway.
    You can’t stop people from putting out works such as this, that is agains our First Amendment , (speech, press.) I also agree with stenar that this is a great way to inform the public. Great things can come from expression, even if at first it seems to be not the way you see or believe. But I find that’s what makes the world so wonderfully interesting!

17. Let’s see Sony gets threaten by terrorist not to show “The Interview” Sony is pressured to show it by everyone, up to the President. But the LGBT pressures TLC to cancel “My Husbands Gay” Sounds a lot similar tactics to me. Only difference is the LGBT can get away with this kind of scare tactics.

18. stenar says:

GLAAD is wrong again, as usual. As a former Mormon and gay man, I think it’s very important that TLC shine a light on just what is happening in current LDS culture so they church will be pressured to put a stop to it. No one will pressure the church if they don’t know what’s going on.

• cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that My Husbands Not Gay will become a hit thank to all the uproar about this show. Good luck to the show.

• Stella Pinnetta says:

Here’s what you don’t get.

There are billions around the world who struggle to accept themselves as GOD made them. You and your thought process alike are the murders of millions who have suffered because you claim to know what GOD intentions are… I wanna see the day you’re face to face with God and He or She asks you why you did not accept yourself the way He/She designed you?

Or will you dare to tell God because it’s what you’ve been taught!

• wjm980 says:

I agree completely. It’s no different than when the Parents Television Council complains about a show not promoting their definition of family values.

19. cdhaskell says:

I can’t believe that this show is getting all this uproar. I thought that TLC would show better show than this. I got a feeling that the show will become a hit. Good luck in 2015.

20. chrisgeraldvogel says:

How wonderful, then, that these nice young men will tell us all (over and over again, apparently) that despite their best efforts and religious ministrations and marrying women, they are still attracted to men. You will get used to this, by virtue of your gay and lesbian family members and friends, among other manifestations.