Diane Keaton to Star Opposite Jude Law in HBO and Sky Series ‘The Young Pope’

Diane Keaton The Young Pope
MediaPunch/REX

Diane Keaton will star in “The Young Pope,” Variety has learned. The eight-episode series is created by the Academy Award-winning Paolo Sorrentino and is produced jointly by Sky, HBO and France’s Canal Plus.

The project marks Keaton’s first-ever series regular television role.

The Oscar-winning actress joins the previously cast Jude Law in the drama, which goes into production this week. She will play Sister Mary, a nun from America living in Vatican City.

The series tells the story of the beginning of Pontificate of Pius XIII, born Lenny Belardo (played by Law). A complex and conflicted character with great power, Belardo will face losing those closest to him and the fear of being abandoned, even by his God. However, he is not afraid of undertaking the millennial mission of defending that same God and the world representing him.

Sorrentino, who will direct all episodes, describes the series as such: “The clear signs of God’s existence. The clear signs of God’s absence. How faith can be searched for and lost. The greatness of holiness, so great as to be unbearable when you are fighting temptations and when all you can do is to yield to them. The inner struggle between the huge responsibility of the Head of the Catholic Church and the miseries of the simple man that fate (or the Holy Spirit) chose as Pontiff. Finally, how to handle and manipulate power in a state whose dogma and moral imperative is the renunciation of power and selfless love towards one’s neighbour. That is what ‘The Young Pope’ is about.”

“The Young Pope” hails from Wildside with exec producers Lorenzo Mieli, Mario Gianani and John Lyons, and Haut et Court TV with Caroline Benjo, Carole Scotta and Simon Arnal exec producing. The project is a co-production for HBO and Sky.

Keaton is repped by WME.

1. Nick says:

Sounds like an interesting series, with two of my favorite stars, but no mention is made of the fact that there has never BEEN a Pope Pius XIII. The series is about a future pope and papacy.

• SUSAN GAZZANO says:

Jude Law is a wonderful actor! Diane Keaton is doing a fantastic job portraying Sister Mary. I will be watching! I cannot wait to see the next week’s episode!

2. Paul Brno says:

I went to the Neighborhood Playhouse with Diane Keaton (formerly Diane Hall) from 1965-67 & used to take her to the movies. I must say she didn’t age well. She now looks older than Granny Hall (her real life grand mother). Or a scary, crazy old lady.

• S T Peter says:

Whoops. Now the whole world knows what kind of “loyal” friend you are. Time to hit the confessional.

• Sanmant says:

3. Geronimo says:

Hmmm. Showtime thought about going here with Kyle Chandler in The Vatican but then thought better of it. Still, I do like Diane Keaton. Religion, seriously and honestly depicted, is sorely lacking in Hollywood. We’ll see…

• Nick says:

“I saw her at Tavern On The Green in 2008 because The Neighborhood Playhousewas having an event there &I went up to her & kissed her on the check & saiid, ‘Diane, you look as lovely as ever & she just gave me a blank stare & wouldn’t talk to me. She turned into a cold hearted statue.”

Ah…..if a total stranger took the liberty to come up and kiss me, I’d react like a cold hearted statue too. Why do some think that knowing WHO an actor is and liking their work gives them the right to act like a familiar, old friend with them? Keaton’s reaction was right on the mark.

4. spike says:

Paolo, there’s no moral imperative for the Popes. they sit atop a fattened and corrupt empire which languishes in its garish wealth and “ministers” to the poor suckers who give it money, and which shelters the perverted scumbags who sodomize their children.