‘The X-Files’ Revival: David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson to Reprise Roles on Fox

The X Files New York Comic
Image Courtesy of Fox

The X-Files” gang is getting back together for a six-episode limited series to which Fox has formally given a series order.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will be back as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Series creator Chris Carter will be at the helm for 20th Century Fox TV and Ten Thirteen Productions. Production is set to begin this summer, although Fox has not yet set an air date.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The “X-Files” revival follows last spring’s return of “24” as a 13-episode limited series. NBC has joined the mania for resurrecting series with built-in audience awareness with its plans for the “Heroes Reborn” miniseries next season.

“X-Files” is a natural, as the show about FBI sleuths investigating instances of paranormal activity is tailor-made for social-media obsession — even if it hails from an earlier TV era. “X-Files” had a nine-season run on Fox from 1993-2002. It spawned two feature films, 1998’s “The X-Files: Fight the Future” and 2008’s “The X-Files: I Want to Believe.”

Fox Television Group chairs Gary Newman and Dana Walden shepherded the show on the studio side during its network run. The pair have made no secret of their interest in bringing it back. The new episodes may well spark renewed interest in the show from SVOD platforms, just as the “24: Live Another Day” episodes spurred Fox to cut a rich pact for the entire series library with Amazon Prime.

Earlier this year, Newman and Walden confirmed early plans for “The X-Files” revival at the Television Critics Assn. press tour.

Now official, the duo commented: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of ‘The X-Files’ — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.”

They added, “‘The X-Files’ was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as ‘The X-Files,’ and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

1. Asdhole says:

LISTEN ASDHOLE I GREW UP WATCHING X FILES HAD BIG ADOLESCENT CRUSH ON GILLIAN ANDERSON AND HAD INQUISITIVE MIND ABOUT PARANORMAL

2. Calvino says:

I have been waiting for the return of the
    X-Files

I need
    More and more

3. Mike says:

Mulder probably won’t appear until episode 6.

4. c.c.cruse says:

Reminding myself why I loved this series and it’s theme song. Into season 4 and my husband is resigned to watching with me. Ain’t love grand!

5. Mark says:

Why did it take s long? Can’t wait!

6. LOVE THE X-FILES… CAN’T WAIT FOR NEW SERIES… ESPECIALLY WITH MULDER & SCULLY BACK. THUMBS UP!

7. Bob Daigle says:

I can’t wait to see the new shows. Glad it’s David and Gillian. Some of my favorite episodes were ones that broke away from the main story line and we’re just self contained works of paranormal art.

8. jaimek says:

Please, bring back Nicholas Lea…Alex Krycek, must be part of the Project, n’est ce pas, CC, mon chery? :)

9. XTrust_No1X says:

Pinch me! I must be dreaming! I’m one of those Original fans that couldn’t wait until the showed premiere that September. I have the original commercials for the show recorded still on VHS tape in my extensive X-Files collection. Now, after all this time, we are privileged to witness the reuniting of the famous F.B.I. Special agents tat will track down the creepiest, sadistic serial killers and, Faceless Aliens, Alien Bounty Hunters and let’s not forget the Greens & Greys. And, hopefully which easily can be done through the miracle of cloning, the return of everybody’s favorite Cancer man, CGB Spender. Thank you Chris, from all the legions of X-File lovers. One last thing, hey Chris, how about an episode with a special guest starring and returning to the world of the X-Files, the pairing special Agents Mulder & Scully with F.B.I. Profiler Frank Black. I would die a happy man if this can be pulled off. Now, that’s what I refer to as a wonderful day’s work!

10. Mry says:

I would suggest that most television rogramking from an earlier “era” is far better than the garbge typically shown today. I am pretty darn liberal and prgressive but I refuse to watch TV anymore. It is simpy brain dead trash.

11. Robert RA says:

X-Files: let’s see what’s coming – can’t wait! Let’s see how good a 13 year break can be for something new! Should be good –

12. Smoking Man (x-files) says:

Awesome!!

13. Howard Leino says:

I’m so glad to hear the news of X Files returning even though for a short run. I’m looking forward to seeing the works of Chris Carter and his writers do their imaginative work. David and Jillian may have been the best “couple” ever put on a screen, certainly for television!

14. Keeping it short: X-Files has a unique opportunity. Unlike just about every other “dead”, X-Files material has undergone a revolutionary shift. A few planets had been found in 2002. Today, 13 years later, we’ve found 5006. 80 of them are terrestrial and 200 are super earths.

NASA and ESO (European Southern Observatory) are racing to confirm the first Second Earth.

The World Economic Forum that meets annually at Davos Switzerland said in the final report of the 2013 forum that the single greatest threat to the world’s economy is confirmation of a Second Earth. Even if it was proven later not to have organic life, the economic disruption would be severe. Even if? “If the Second Earth has water and orbits in its star’s life zone”, any microbiologist will say. “it has organic life”. Ergo: a Second Earth is alive. But does it have a civilization?!!

The mysterious man-with-the-cigarette was modeled after Col John B Alexander PhD. He wrote UFO’s: Myths, Conspiracies and Realities (2012) The first three words said it all. “UFO’s are real”.
    The remaining 394 pages footnote that statement. The two forwards were written by two UFO skeptics Bert Rutan and Tom Clancy.

If Chris Carter, David Duchovny and Jillian Anderson get lucky, the first Second Earth will be confirmed will the final six episodes are aired or within a year or so afterward.

15. srvwp2013 says:

Revivals fail. Hollywood and The Entertainment Industry is dying with revivals, sequels, and endless “Part such and such” wastes of resources. Change happens and time moves on. The revival of “X-Files” will not survive, will not stand up and will not succeed. It is the sheer evolution of human nature to fail in ventures of this kind. David and Gillian are wasting their time and talent. The future is some combination of progress, creativity, imagination. No matter how badly anyone may want to do so, no one can go back and re-live even the best moments of their lives. Only Hollywood seems to think that its “geniuses” can raise the dead, bring back fantasy and re-create something that, in essence, never was. The Death of The Entertainment Industry has been caused by at least one generation of frat boys and sorority girls without a creative, imaginative brain, or other cell in their body. The “smartest boys and girls in the room) ceased to be smart and all that is left them is to ape some sort of mutant real life in “reality TV.” Hollywood is disgusting!

16. Cheri Norris says:

My Favorite show of all time! Can’t wait to see it!

17. Tina Mulder says:

I cant express enough how much I loved this show!!! I was eleven when I watched the pilot , I watched every episode , I wanted to be Dana , to have Mulder as my partner. David and Gillian have a great dynamic, I would watch anything these two are involved in together!

18. Manlio says:

David Duch – OVNY? don’t WANTs mean OVNI?

19. Xena Torres says:

This is just sad and pathetic. I LOVED this show. I ADORED this series, but it was turned to crap after the 5th season, and Carter’s utter lack of vision eventually killed it because there was never going to be a clear point where it all came together and made sense. Creators who do this just eventually drag you around by the nose but never lead you to water and the series turns to garbage. While the last movie wasn’t brilliant, it felt like a better good-bye than that terrible finale, so why on earth would you bring back this dead horse just to beat it some more?

Can we PLEASE stop with reboots and returns and DO SOMETHING NEW? What’s the point in watching rehashed everything? It’s one thing to mess around with classics and put a new twist on them like the fabulous “Penny Dreadful” series, but just rehashing stuff over and over and over and OVER again within the span of a few years is just utterly pathetic. You know why X-Files was so amazing? Because it was SO ORIGINAL! Pay some real tribute to a great series and DO SOMETHING NEW!

Ugh. This is why I rarely watch anything from America anymore. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!

20. jhs39 says:

Problems: 1) The final two seasons of The X Files are borderline unwatchable; 2) Chris Carter has never created a hit series or even one with a respectable cult following since The X Files; 3) Chris Carter already made two crappy theatrical films that damaged the value of The X Files brand significantly. The best X Files episodes were not written by Chris Carter–at this point his involvement in anything X Files related beyond a producer credit makes me both very nervous and extremely skeptical.

21. Edward. Sotelo says:

Grate , love this, it is what I was waiting, tanks,a lot guys !!!

22. michaelfilip says:

Hopefully this will bring back the action figure line!

23. Reader1 says:

Any chance of a Lone Gunmen appearance?

• Sinkwriter says:

Not unless Chris Carter decides to pretend he didn’t kill them off at the end of the TV series. It would be nice if he ignored that plot point, because I really do enjoy the Gunmen, and Alex Krycek, whom he also killed off during the series.

24. ryan young says:

Please tell the alien colonization story all the way!!!

25. rockerrick says:

My day is made! Long live the Truth…long live the X Files!!

26. ludivine says:

I can’t wait I loved the X Files…and I also would love to see Millennium come back !

27. Scott says:

Awesome!

28. Geo says:

My favorite TV show from the 90’s.
    I can’t wait to see Mulder and Scully back together again!

29. BeEtLjOoZ says:

Reblogged this on LouisianaWorld.Net | BattleOfOurTimes.Com and commented:
    ‘I want to believe’ it will be good.

30. delawarejack says:

Who said you can’t ” go home again ! ” .. A breath of fresh indeed and a much welcomed respite from the endless number of ” reality shows ” that really aren’t, who just add to the amount of mind numbing pollution spewing out into the world.

31. Bill says:

I’d rather see the return of “Millennium.”

32. Sherry says:

Will Skinner be there too? It’s not XF without him.

And I know it’s difficult given what they did to his character near the end of the series, but I’d love to see Krycek back as well. With all the weird stuff that has happened on the show, surely they could find a way for him to still be alive. (Like maybe Skinner killed one of the super clones, not Krycek himself.) I would love to see Nick Lea work with Gillian and David again. Alex Krycek was a very frustrating character but I always felt like deep down he was working toward something good; he just had “unique” ways of accomplishing those goals and that’s why he and Mulder clashed so much. LOL.

Anyway, this is great news. I hope the episodes are fantastic, and I look forward to seeing Mulder and Scully back on screen.

I only wish my good friend Susan (and XF viewing buddy) were still alive to enjoy this. She passed away a couple years ago, and it breaks my heart to not be able to talk about this with her. I know she as a writer would have been thrilled to see the characters revived and taken in new directions.

• Sharon says:

Susan made me love the X-Files that much more. She created a true community for so many!

I can’t wait for the reprise. I just pray that the writers don’t blow this opportunity. Would love to see some of the greats pen the episodes.

• Sinkwriter says:

Thank you so much for saying that, Sharon! She was a great friend and mentor to me, and I miss her terribly. Especially when stuff like this pops up and I want to talk about it with her. She was one of a kind.

I agree with you — so many talented writers to bring back. I would love to see guys like Vince Gilligan and Darin Morgan take a crack at penning the episodes. Hey, Breaking Bad is done now; Vince should have a little free time, right? ;)

33. radogado says:

“24: Live Another Day”, not “Die”.

34. Truth Teller says:

This is fantastic news… now bring out The Lone Gunman, so we can see what they’ve been up to! Something tells me they are wonderfully the same!

Can’t wait to see this!

35. Heather says:

Very much looking forward to this!

36. digimars says:

About damn time!!!!!!! After this, bring back Millennium!!!!