Robert Redford’s Docu-Drama ‘The West’ Lands Straight-to-Series Order at AMC

AMC The West Robert Redford

AMC has given a straight-to-series order to “The West,” a docu-drama from exec producer Robert Redford, the cabler announced Friday at the Television Critics Assn. press tour.

The network has ordered eight one-hour episodes, slated to premiere summer of 2016.

Redford’s Sundance Productions and Stephen David Entertainment will produce “The West” for AMC. Exec producers are Redford, David and Laura Michalchyshyn of Sundance Prods.

Spanning from 1865 to 1890, the docu-series will explore the aftermath of the Civil War when America transformed into the land of opportunity. Depicting the violent world of cowboys, Indians, outlaws and lawmen, and chronicling the little-known true stories of Western legends such as Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Crazy House and Sitting Bull, the series will also feature interviews with actors who’ve appeared in Westerns including James Caan, Tom Selleck, Kiefer Sutherland and Ed Harris.

“We are pleased to partner with Stephen David and AMC for the production of ‘The West,’ which will transport audiences back to the days of the Wild West to meet the famous outlaws and lawmen that shaped American history and culture,” said Redford. “This series is an opportunity to revisit an era of memorable events that were part of making the United States what it is today.”

Charlie Collier, AMC and SundanceTV prez, commented, “Whether it was ‘Broken Trail,’ new episodes of ‘Hell on Wheels’ or a Saturday movie event, at AMC, we love the Western, and we can’t wait to expand our commitment to it with Robert Redford by our side.”

“The West” was previously set up at Discovery with the same creative team, slated to bow during the 2014-15 season.

Production on “The West” begins in early August. It is set to premiere next summer, alongside the final seven episodes of “Hell on Wheels.”

1. Dale says:

In the scene with Billy the Kid before he surrenders, his horse is tied up. They then comment about shooting the rein free that ties his horse up to the rail, in the next frame the horse is tied up again ! Really, did the horse tie himself up !!

2. Joe Flaherty says:

Utter garbage. Totally trading on his name. Same old shop worn stories regurgitated with such.illuminatI as Kiefer Sutheland,whose claim to fame is having been in “Young Guns ” and Tom Selleck, due to his extensive roles as “guy with mustache ” now we get another dose of crap from these weasels? Utter BS. Robert Redford should be ashamed for putting out this dreck.

3. James Whitburn 111 says:

I lovs the idea that time period hasn’t been explored enough to show how we got to where we are now politics has and hasn’t changed from then til now and I know you are smart enough to realize what I mean by that!

4. Great! Sundance Kid rides again triumphantly! I gave him a kiss on his cheek with his permission & an IU T-shirt w RR initials ironed on it when he campaigned for Phil Sharp 4 congress back in 1984. Pic is on my vanity to this day & album nearby! I have always loved him! Unfortunately, he has a thing 4 German women, Lola, first wife, mother if his children, now Sybille, an artsy person like him! He was @ the former Sherwood Club then the Simon Mansion where I missed getting my photo w him because I had to put on my Robert “Red” ford dress so my red nail polish had to dry & I missed him! So sad! Someone mailed me photos of somebody who looked a bit like me so I would not miss out entirely! Wanted to give me the utensils he used to eat but I don’t steal! Wish I had taken them if they were wanting me to have them so badly! That would not be stealing then especially how much I paid just to catch a glimpse of him! He was running late all day but not that night! Why, Lord??? Happy Birthday on August 18 & mannnnnny more! Cannot wait to view the movie! Keep up the Great Work! God Bless RR & his family! Tell Betty White hello! She has always loved u 2! One thing she says she “has not done” in her career but still wants to do….Robert Redford!!! Go girlfriend!!! LOL! Send her a message, RR, please & thank u so much! Come to Indy 4 the 500! U could possibly drive the Pace Car like u drive ur Porsche! Varoom!!!!!! We/I would love to have u, like Betty said!!!!! Christmas Carol Harrison

5. girl says:

Robert redford is sooooo handsome haha… In love !

6. Linda says:

Why can’t they get it right? Please, really “Crazy House”??

7. Juni says:

Crazy “HOUSE”!!!??? Try Crazy “HORSE”!!