‘The Mortal Instruments’ Series: ABC Family Orders ‘Shadowhunters’

ABC Family has ordered “Shadowhunters,” a series based on “The Mortal Instruments” franchise, Variety has learned.

The project marks the cabler’s first scripted “saga-to-series,” based on the bestselling book series by Cassandra Clare, who commented, “I’m excited to see ABC Family bring the world of the ‘Shadowhunters’ to life. As a huge fan of longform television drama, I can’t wait to see the story unfold and for the fans to have more time with the world and the characters.”

“Shadowhunters” follows 18-year-old Clary Fray, who finds out on her birthday that she is not who she thinks she is, and she comes from a long line of Shadowhunters — human-angel hybrids who hunt down demons. When Clary’s mother Jocelyn is kidnapped, Clary is thrown into the world of demon hunting with mysterious Shadowhunter Jace and her best friend, Simon. Living among faeries, warlocks, vampires and werewolves, Clary begins a journey of self-discovery as she learns more about her past and what her future may hold.

“‘Shadowhunters’ is a big epic saga that will resonate with viewers who come to ABC Family for the ‘Harry Potter,’ ‘Hunger Games,’ and ‘Twilight’ franchises,” said ABC Family president Tom Ascheim. “A New York Times bestseller for 122-consecutive weeks, with over 35 million copies in print worldwide, ‘Shadowhunters’ is the perfect story to share with our audience.”

Karey Burke, ABC Family exec VP of programming and development, commented, “Clary is a strong, dynamic and captivating character that our audience will immediately identify with. They will want her to succeed and will root for her on her journey to become who she was always meant to be. The series has a passionate fanbase and an expansive universe that can sustain multiple seasons to come.”

The saga’s 2013 bigscreen adaptation, “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” starred Lily Collins as Clary, and Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace.

The series will be produced by Constantin Film, with Ed Decter (“Unforgettable,” “Helix”) serving as exec producer and showrunner.

“Shadowhunters” is set to go into production this May in Toronto. No premiere date or casting has been announced.

Cynthia Littleton contributed to this report.

1. christina54 says:

i loved the movie and was so excited to hear there was a series coming on TV called shadowhunters! so disappointed when I found out it is only on netflix and I dont have netflix! why is that? and is it ever coming on regular TV?

2. Haley says:

i love this movie i hated how they stopped with the first one and i am so excited about the series

3. lili says:

I really want to see if this is better than the movie!!!!!

• Haley says:

yes the movie was pretty good but i was angry that they just stopped with the first one when i found out about the series i flipped with joy literally on a trampoline like goals

4. Ashley says:

This is wrong. In the book Clary is only 16! And Jace is a year older then her! Ugh. I love the books. Please done disappoint with this

5. Dream Angel says:

OMG!!!!! THIS IS MY FAVORIATE SERIES I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

6. Angela says:

CANT WAIT!!!!!!! Super excited for it!!!!

7. Yea says:

Trying to understand why people liked the movie. The actors have to be picked based on the description of the book.

8. Jayne says:

Look I know the movie was great but I mean come on this tv show will be awesome so cnat we just wait before we bash it? And well done to the casters for Clary, well done !

9. shallybolywood says:

REALLY HAPPY that the show is coming. The movie really disappointed me in many ways.There wasn’t even a satisfying malec scene.Though casting was great (Magnus *wink* Alec love them) . And throughout the movie i felt Jace didn’t care about Alec *heartbreaking*.

10. George Baez says:

Did you guys not see what they said about Clary?!! They said she will be 18, but in the books she just turns 16. Right after her mom goes missing. Not 18!!! I’m a true fan and I knew that she was never 18. That will ruin things for the storyline. Then they’ll have to make Alec 20, since he 2 years older than her.

11. Eugenia says:

I’m soo dissapointed, the mortal instrument won’t be made as a movie. But please, why the character has to change. I love Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell-Bower , so all the fan. Me and all my friends waited for soo long for the city of ashes movie, but all we get is tv serial ?. This show won’t be as bright as the movie, because there’s a lot of fanatic fan of the character played in the movie. Well… I prefer to just to read again all the book to heal my dissapontment…

12. Abby says:

I totally agree with some of the other comments here saying Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell-Bower were perfect for Clary and Jace. This show won’t live up to the movie, simply because it won’t have those two in it.

13. TateAnna Gravely-Moss says:

In all honesty, if Jamie Campbell Bower and Lily Collins are replaced, then there will be NO MORTAL INSTRUMENTS!!!!! PERIOD! They were the life of the movie and probably the closest people you’ll get to the real deal illustrated in the books. Of course there are small things like her hair and eye color that can be intensified, but Lily was a great actor and it’s a shame you’ll be letting her go. When the character change goes through, you WILL lose lots of fans, including myself, who were expecting Jamie and Lily to return as THE original Jace and Clary. Hopefully the statistical change will be dramatic enough to cause the casting crew and everyone else involved to realize they are the two actors fans yearn to see in the Mortal Instrument series. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, but the books are extremely captivating and interesting to read and to keep Cassandra Clare’s vision alive, Clary and Jace should rightfully remain constant in the transitioning of cast members between the movie and the ABC series. So until I know for sure that these two charcters will remain the same, I’ll carry on with rereading the entire book version of the Mortal Instruments and always rooting for Jamie Campbell Bower and Lily Collins to reunite and form the never-ending duo of Team Clace.

14. Jacquelyn Alvarenga says:

OMG nooo words cannot express enough how mad and dissatisfied i am that instead of doing a sequel there planning on doing a show and to make matters worst there considering changing the original jace actor which i love i love jamie cambell bower and i loved lilly collins why would they recast the characters im a huge fan of the mortal instruments i read all of the books and im sooo very inhappy .

15. Jamie Casto says:

I’m so excited. I’m on the 3rd book now. If they don’t keep the same characters in the movie I will be extremely pist. Like for real after watching the movie then reading the books, as you read you imagen the characters. So if they change the characters it might be to much of a change. Just saying Lily Collins and Jamie Cambell Bower had a relationship so they might not due the show after breaking up. If is like the movie I’m already loving the show.#favmovie

16. Wen says:

Yes, we all know how much ABC Family LOVES the books seeing as they can’t even get Clary’s age right… They’re just hoping to draw in watchers out of the fans.

17. Reblogged this on itsallgoingswimmingly and commented:
    Holy Cow this is exciting!

18. stephanie says:

when are yal aring it

19. See Female Writer says:

SEE THEY BEEN USING YOU AS A STYLIST FOR ABC BEEN USING YOU AS A STYLIST FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS AND GIVEN YOU NO BUDGETS BACK OR BROADCAST COMMITMENTS AND HAVE NEVER HIRED YOU TO WRITE OR DIRECT ANY OF THESE PROJECTS. AND THE AGENCIES HAVE ALLOWED THEM TO DO IT.

20. JustAPerson says:

I really do hope they keep the original cast, they were truly perfect and captured the characters perfectly. Plus it would be weird to have two adaptions with different actors in both. It’ll be hard to reunite the entire movie cast back but I hope they try to keep as many original members as possible.

21. Sarah blanco says:

I’m confused. I’ve been waiting for the next movie to come out after City of Bones but it hasn’t come. Now there will be a TV series. Does that mean that we should not be expecting any sequels to the movie? I’m disappointed. I loved the book series.

22. See says:

And so nice Cassandra got paid but what about the female writer who has styled all these picks for ABC coz this is about the fifth selection you have made styled on projects similar to the ones this writer has in development. She has not been paid or contracted.