‘The Mindy Project’ Cancelled at Fox: May Move to Hulu for New Seasons

Mindy Project Fox Cancels
Courtesy of Fox

Fox has decided not to move forward with “The Mindy Project,” after three seasons, Variety has learned.

However, Hulu is in talks with Universal Television, the studio behind the Mindy Kaling-starrer, to move the Fox comedy over to the streaming service for multiple seasons. The deal would reportedly include two new seasons, and possibly more.

The shift to Hulu would be a smart move, given the already-standing library of past “Mindy” seasons, including all 67 episodes, plus the series’ very loyal — but not very large — fanbase. The series premiered to an audience of about 4.6 million in September 2012 and dipped to just over 2 million viewers with its season-three premiere this past March.

As series’ fates will be decided by next week when broadcast upfront presentations kick off, most cancelled shows will wrap for good, but “The Mindy Project” recalls another fan-favorite comedy resurrected online: “Community,” which, after being axed by NBC, went to Yahoo Screen for its sixth season.

NBC also passed on “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” though before its network premiere. The Ellie Kemper comedy is currently in its first season at Netflix with a second round coming in spring 2016.

Hulu just inked a major syndication deal with Sony TV for the entire “Seinfeld” library, and an output deal with AMC, acquiring the streaming rights to “The Walking Dead” spinoff “Fear the Walking Dead.” On its upcoming original programming slate, Hulu has James Franco set to star in Stephen King’s series adaptation of “11/22/63” from J.J. Abrams.

Fox, Hulu and Universal TV declined to comment on “The Mindy Project.”

1. LO says:

Please at least have it on hulu!!!

2. Rebecca says:

Save Mindy!!!

3. Rebecca says:

Please pick up the Mindy Project!!!!!

4. Melissa says:

Another Mindy Kaling “moment” denied!

Seriously, she needs to get some dignity. She’s making a fool of herself, trying to cling to the undersie of the bowl.

5. Alyssia says:

The only show I watch (not record), because it is HILARIOUS! Big mistake Fox!

6. Michelle says:

I love the Mindy Project! I hope they bring it back ! It was just getting good! I think all the actors are funny on there!

7. Sabrina says:

I need new episodes of the Mindy Project !!!!

8. Cara says:

“Starrer”? Is it just monkeys with typewriters over there now?

9. Ugh! How could they? I’m so sad

10. Nathan Aaron says:

This show gets cancelled, but Last Man Standing, a comedy so bad I couldn’t make it through one episode, is renewed for it’s fifth season?! TV makes NO sense. The Mindy Project was HYSTERICAL!

11. Rob says:

People will watch anything and call it good, this crap, kardashians, Honey Boo Boo when it was on… When will people grow some better taste.

• Laura Prieto says:

I love this show , it’s hilarious !! All the cast members make the Mindy Project !! If Fox does not want to Renew Season , fine , someone pick it up !! Thank you Totally agree !!

12. Candice says:

I was shocked the Mindy Project got more than the minimum. It wasn’t funny. It was like watching sap run down a tree.

13. Sue W says:

We are only up to Series 2 in the UK but I thought this show was getting better as it goes along. Wasn’t it Fox who cancelled “Firefly?” And now Joss Whedon has a hit film franchise with accompanying spin off TV show with a different company.

14. Ellyn says:

Glee, Revenge, Red Band Society, and on and on….now The Mindy Project!! Better take up a new sport….all my shows are dropping by the wayside….how sad:-(

15. Rafael says:

Yeah, there is something wrong with FOX right now and they are struggling for more mature shows. Hulu is safer for this show.

16. meantit says:

Oh let me guess! They have one to many successful TV shows starring Brown actors of color?? Over reach there quota? Or was it that amex commercial she did sharing how white Hollywood only saw her as the ” friend”? And how they can’t say that anymore. IWouldnt put it past these racist liberal execs.

17. Loni says:

It’s one of my favorite shows. Sad that Fox cancelled it, there are worse shows on that network. I hope Hulu picks it up.

18. Sally says:

NOOO! PLease come back

19. brianna128 says:

nooooooo! Netflix should pick this up because at least with Netflix another paid subscription service I can watch shows without having stupid commercials popping up every 7 minutes or so, unlike with Hulu.

20. Hulu, if you do this, you have my money for as long as you make new seasons.

21. Robert Moore says:

I like the show and I’m glad that it’ll find a new outlet.

22. ObserverMI says:

This is what you get when you put an ideology before performance.
    They tried so hard to make all believe this show, as well as her, was far more than it was.
    So much for listening to those that claim the ‘next big thing’. Yea….ok.
    It’s called ‘Results’ not fantasy or ideology.

• Jim says:

I suppose you don’t realize your comment makes absolutely no sense. That said, I’m pretty impressed with how smug you must have been when you typed it.

23. Kristen S says:

Please, oh please, oh please, Hulu! Save the Mindy Project, my favorite show! It never fails to make me laugh and lift my spirits.

24. Kristen says:

Fox finally did something right. Mindy Project had less viewers than Arrested Development but was still renewed year after year? Mindy project is unfunny and tries too hard to be quirky. Thank u Fox for finally ending this poor excuse for a show.

• Linds says:

I’m sure you meant not funny, instead of unfunny, but either way you would be wrong. This comedy had brilliant writing, character development, and didn’t die off after the main couple finally got together. People who don’t like this show, never watched it enough to understand it.

25. Jessica. R. says:

This is the greatest day for comedy, ever. The six fans of this show can now pay to watch it.

Now, watch half the cast quit.

Glorious. Just glorious.

• Linds says:

You just made Daveinem’s point. It’s normal for people to get upset when something they love ends, it’s not normal for people to get over excited when something other people like ends. That’s psychopathic behavior. Unless of course you’re being forced to watch the Mindy Project over and over again somewhere, in which case your feelings are totally justified. But if not, it’s just kind of weird.

• daveinem says:

Golly, some people just hate this show! I’m a little surprised at the venom. Did you folks unsuccessfully try to get a gig on it?

• Loni says:

I agree with you, these are some very strong comments for a TV show.

• Jessica. R. says:

Golly, some shills are reacting to this news like the FBI just found their hidden stash of used toddlers’ underwear. I’m not surprised at the false exuberance. Did you lose your job at the PR firm today?

• Michael Anthony says:

If you’re going to make a snarky cement,bat least make one that has a ring of truth to it. Otherwise, you’re just another idiot.

• daveinem says:

Just a fan. I’m in another line of work myself. Again, surprised at the venom, which lead me to make my comment. Sorry if I was mistaken.

• FEBRUARYJONES says: