‘The Expanse’ Gets Season 2 on Syfy

'The Expanse' Season 2: Syfy Drama's
Courtesy of Syfy

Syfy has given a second season to “The Expanse” and is increasing the episode order from 10 to 13 for the futuristic mystery’s sophomore turn, Variety has learned.

The Alcon Television Group series gained traction from an online debut in November that brought in 4.5 million viewers before its official premiere on Dec. 14 on Syfy. The first three episodes that have aired on Syfy have brought in an average 1.6 million P2+ linear viewers (L3).

“‘The Expanse’ is firing on all cylinders creatively, building a passionate fan base among viewers and critics alike, and delivering on Syfy’s promise of smart, provocative science fiction entertainment. We can’t wait to see where the story takes us in season two,” said Dave Howe, president of Syfy and Chiller.

Set 200 years in the future, “The Expanse” stars Thomas Jane and Steven Strait as a hardened detective and a rogue ship captain whose unlikely alliance may end up exposing the greatest conspiracy in human history. In her review of the series, Variety critic Maureen Ryan credited the show for being “openly political, and tak[ing] on issues of class, representation and exploitation.”

Based on Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck’s series of books written under the pen name James S.A. Corey, “The Expanse” has Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (“Children of Men,” “Iron Man”) serving as writers, executive producers and showrunners. Executive producer Naren Shankar (“CSI,” “Farscape”) is also showrunning. Alcon finances and produces the series, with co-founders and co-CEOs Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson serving as executive producers along with former Alcon TV president Sharon Hall. Alcon TV executive Ben Roberts serves as co-producer. Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company are also executive producers and Ben Cook serves as a producer.

“The Expanse” is reportedly Syfy’s most expensive series to date. Ahead of its debut, Howe told Variety this was necessary.

“[Once they see it,] people will realize that not many networks are investing as much as we are in this quality content,” he said then. “This is not just big. This is premium network scale.”

Season two of “The Expanse” is expected to air in 2017.

1. Mandy Gershon says:

Glad to see it’s continuing!

2. Captain Prax says:

The books were awesome, with Babylon’s Ashes due in December 2016. I watched the first season, started reading the books, and can’t get enough of either. I chewed through the books faster than I have with most series, and it just makes me want more.

3. Tony says:

I found out about this show while watching the previous for a movie I rented. Right away I started researching about it and found out I could see all of season 1 on amazon prime, and so I started.. What an amazing show. This is top quality award winning material. To say they have a hit is an understatement. I love everything about it, the story, the characters, how it is perfectly directed, everything. I can’t believe I did not know about this show sooner.

4. The Expanse is simply awesome, the attention and love paid to content and detail is amazing. Love it, keep it up guys! Looking forward to season 2!

5. dckimberly says:

They have done a bang up job on this show. The writers of the book are incredible story tellers to begin with, and then given to the shows writers it has proven to be in safe, capable hands.
    We love this show in our home! We have read the books, and the TV show is really exciting! We love the actors playing each integral part also.
    It’s a big fun & intense story and they scenery is like another character. If you haven’t seen it and you love Science Fiction, you are missing out! (in my humble opinion)

6. The Expanse is simply terrific.

7. Jim says:

Having never read any of these books, I quite like the series. It will be interesting to see where it goes. One series of books which would make a great series to watch IMO are the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson.

8. William says:

Not sure why they set the show 200 years in the future. The books series is easily 400-500 years in the future. The Epstein Drive was created AFTER the colonization of Mars, and the events in the book take place 150 years after the creation of the Epstein Drive. 200 years from now to have a colonized solar system isn’t very realistic. 400, 500, 600 years in the future is much more obtainable.

• Problem is if you set it too far in the future you end up having to make the technology so advanced that it’s essentially alien to modern viewers’ understanding. Or ignore the issue and then the technology just looks weirdly retro.

9. Shalon West says:

I loved the books and I love the TV series!! I really wish we didn’t have to wait a whole year for the second season! Looking forward to the new book release in the fall :) As far as character choices, I think they did a really good job except for Noami which somehow didn’t fit my mental picture from the books. She is growing on me though through the season. Thanks SA Corey writers and Sci FI! Keep this show on throughout all the books!!

10. dreg says:

actual science fiction on the sci fi channel?
    it only took 20 years

11. Kamil says:

I wached it, and loved it. It is IMO most impressive SF series I have ever seen. If not cut short and developed in a good way it has potential to surpass even my long time favorites such as Farescape or DS9. I was also very imnpressed by realistic depiction of conditions in space and amount of tiny details that were taken care off (small things but significant like location on airlocks on Ceres, little birds flight in low G envioroment or scene with two asteroid miners prepering to blow up asteroid). Only for those details I both Blue-ray since it was impossible to chatch all the details in one viewing :). I am somewhat afraid if they will not go ovber the board with whole strange virus/energy thing but we shall see.

• Coyote Prophet says:

Thank you for being one of those amazing people who recognize and honor DS9 as a great show. It really was!

• We already know the ‘virus’ is actually nanomachines, but something hinted earlier in the series regarding the Rocinante’s computer, was the idea that their society is on the brink of creating Artificial Intelligence. The last shot of the series showed the nanomachines mimmicking/mocking Kenzo in a manner that implied truly Artificially Intelligent learning.

12. Jeff says:

Hands down the best science fiction series on TV. Excellent writing, fantastic special effects even compared to the silver screen, better than average acting and an immersive story line, The Expanse brings to its audience everything they are looking for in a TV show. I just can’t believe we all have to wait another year for the next season.

13. Geoff says:

This could become the best space opera since Babylon 5.

• candorville says:

If it follows the story in the books it’ll be the best space opera since Babylon 5 and Farscape. And at the rate they’re going, if the audience sticks with it this series could run for 7-10 seasons (season one only covered the first two-thirds of the first book (out of at planned series of nine books). By the time it’s over, someone may have invented the Epstein drive.

14. Mark says:

I love the movie

15. 5laspada5 says:

For once the series is as good as the book. I am really curious about how will be rendered what comes next!

16. Paul Lakowski says:

Thank god ; I should bloody well think this series deserves a second season. It was the only syfy show worth watching last year!

17. Alexander Warren says:

I loved the whole show from start to finish. The mixed tones from having 2 writers from the book actually make the transition perfectly into television. I also have to give real credit to the casting, nearly everyone matches their description from the books pretty well, especially Alex and Naomi.

And in maybe a first, the television series is actually more detailed and slower pace than the books (which omit first person storylines on Earth entirely), which is a good thing in my opinion. Not only is The Expanse the best series out for fans of Space Opera, but also of cyberpunk/neonoir as the scenes out in the Belt are extremely seedy and have a very rundown gritty feel. It’s very loyal to the books too, with the first half of Leviathan Wakes translated pretty faithfully.

And I just wanted to say THANKYOU to whoever has taken over the creative helm at SyFy, thankyou for taking a chance on real science fiction again, with this, Killjoys, and Dark Matter I finally feel like I have real choices after Battlestar Galactica went off the air.

18. Adam Morgan says:

This was one of the greatest TV shows I’ve seen. The realism in the character development as well as the science of the world they inhabit was phenomenal. The slow build as the characters and us the viewers are just as lost about what’s going on makes it feel so much more real as we all discover together. Someone else said that the characters make rational, logical decisions that feel real rather than cliched or driven by some need to have certain plot points made, and I heartily agree. More TV needs desperately to be this way.

19. I like how this show is realistic in it’s timeline. “200 years in the future”, shows in the 70’s-80’s assumed we’d be that advanced 6-16 years ago.

20. Charles Turner says:

fantastic show! tried watching the colony but after seeing the expanse it was just too… too corny!!!

• Colony was good in it’s own right. It kinda has a falling skies vibe to it. I can hardly wait to see where they’ll take the show in the next season. With shows like Colony, I try not to judge too much from the first season because of the potential the show has to do great things. I didn’t like the earlier seasons of smallville but it actually did quite well in the later seasons.

21. jack says:

Absolutely great show. You can see the level of effort that has gone into it. The characters interactions are dynamic and realistic. The decisions they make are sensible. It does not focus on a cliche drama romance like most shows of any genre, which is incredibly refreshing.
    Love it!

22. Dipodomys says:

This is an excellent show if you enjoy the relative realism of hard science fiction and have the patience to watch the entire first season to begin to understand the plot and appreciate the character relationships. Watching fewer episodes is confusing if you have not read the books. The authors of the five critically acclaimed and best-selling books are directly involved in the writing for the show, so an extremely complex world and characters are almost seamlessly transferred from the first book which was nominated for a Hugo. The mixed reviews undoubtedly reflect the difficulty of cramming a complex hard science fiction world, relatively realistic space action scenes, and a slow evolution of character relationships from a book series into the constrained scope and time of television medium. Kudos to Alcon and SyFy for investing in this project.

23. picard85 says:

Love this show.

24. Anthony Martin says:

FANTASTIC – I read the books a while ago – SyFy has REALLY done them proud – some scenes are even as I imagined reading the books – and the no bs added – again FANTASTIC

25. zozo says:

woooooo! second season! it’s becomming my favorite sci-fi serie (after firefly of course)

26. James Billings says:

The Expanse is the best sci-fi series in years, intelligent and very well produced. A must see for any real science fiction fan. The characters are real and likeable and the plot leaves you wanting more.

• I’m really happy with the direction Syfy’s going lately, not just with this show but others. The zombie show Z Nation in many ways surpasses established shows like The Walking Dead in quality for the simple fact that it contains levity which prevents the show from growing too morose and depressing. The Magicians is also another fun, serious, high quality show about magic in modern times and I enjoy it just as much as The Expanse. Dark Matter is very much like Firefly to me, if the Serenity’s crew were a bit more on the murderous cut throats side of the grey line of the law.

All these shows mean one thing to me: Syfy’s trying to move away from the new b movie of the week premise they’ve established and into more serious, entertaining television shows. I just hope that they don’t return to past behaviors and cancel these shows before their time. Maybe now they’ll sponsor a remake of the Dresden Files?