New ‘Star Trek’ Series to Air on CBS All Access in 2017

Netflix TV Shows to Binge Watch

Producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new “Star Trek” TV series, setting it at warp speed to debut on CBS in January 2017.

The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the U.S. on CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. This would be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

Kurtzman is exec producing via a deal with CBS Television Studios. The series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout banner. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers under a deal that is separate from the overall deal that Kurtzman has with partner Roberto Orci’s K/O Paper Products. They are now shopping for a writer.

The launch strategy is meant to capitalize on “Star Trek’s” ardent OTT fanbase, presumably resulting in the growth of All Access while also creating a unique universe for “Star Trek” fans.

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, exec VP and g.m. of CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

The latest iteration of “Star Trek” on TV is set to launch on the heels of the 50th anniversary of the original series premiere on Sept. 8, 1966, led by stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley. Created by Gene Roddenberry and produced by Lucille Ball’s Desilu Productions, “Star Trek” ran for three seasons on NBC but famously became far more popular in syndicated reruns than it ever was in its original primetime run.

By 1979, the franchise was revived as a series of feature films produced by Paramount, and as a first-run syndicated series, “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” which ran from 1987-1994. “Next Generation” begat another syndicated spinoff, “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1993-1999) while the erstwhile UPN network was home to two more spinoffs, “Star Trek: Voyager” (1995-2001) and “Star Trek: Enterprise” (2001-2005).

CBS controls the TV side of the “Trek” universe through its ownership of the Paramount TV library. Paramount acquired full control of Desilu in 1967.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, president of CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the films “Star Trek” (2009) with Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016 and is written by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.

1. ballew says:

In order for a new Star Trek series to be successful it will have to be better than TOS and TNG because viewers are going resent having to both pay for a subscription and to have to watch ads and you’d better believe people aren’t going to pay for mediocrity.

Stop with the alternative time lines. That’s where ST:Enterprise went off of the tracks. Focus on character development and good stories and don’t retread any of the plots from previous series or movies. Come on, even some of the movies are retreads. The lack originality will be fatal.

2. Jack says:

CBS is going to charge to view? Fork it!

3. Kathryn says:

OMG! I just read all of your comments concerning the possibility of a new “Star Trek” series, and I’m finding it difficult to see how so many small minds ever made it as anything that resembles a “Trekkie”, old or new. I say—BRING IT ON—and at least give it a try. I, for one, am willing “to go where no one has gone before”.

4. Criswell says:

I predict the new captain will be transgender!

5. Mitchell Singleton says:

Kiefer Sutherland should play Capt.James T.Kirk if this happens I Mitchell Singleton would like some compensation please. ..you hav my email address&Info: I thank you!

6. Matthew says:

To BillUSA, Fred Mertz, Alicia, and anyone else that dislikes Star Trek’s portrayal of gender equality: Is a man’s masculinity defined by the man’s definition of femininity? When a woman is on equal ground in the workforce, in politics, or as a Star Trek Captain, does that make men less masculine? If you believe a woman is too mably, does that make you less of a man? For myself and most Star Trek fans, the answer is a resounding “No”.

Gender equality does nothing to define my masculinity. I am not weakened by an empowered woman. How fragile your ego and masculinity must be if you dislike a female captain in Star Trek. How weak and brittle your sexuality must be if you call supporters of gender equality names (which get your posts censored). I think most of you have bisexual tendencies and are afraid of it. You are too scared to be yourselves. Your life revolves around how others perceive you.

• Bjorn says:

“For myself and most Star Trek fans, the answer is a resounding “No”.”

And you presume to speak for “most” Star Trek fans how exactly?

7. If Kurtzman is involved with this upcoming series, then I seriously doubt that it`ll have anything to do with the one true Star Trek.

8. Stephen Kaiser says:

Ohhhh Phillip…
    Although I did like the Trek reboots, (yes, both of them, for the sheer love of Trek), I am extremely dubious of another series without the “positive message in a bottle” that we are used to…and constantly being hit over the head with. I honestly don’t know where they would go…possibly the adventures of other ships in the same TOS era…although that would be nostalgic for about fifteen minutes.
    We’ve already gone forward…and backward…sideways? That means Alternate Universe, where everybody has a beard…or a scar…or a navel.
    Forward seems the logical conclusion…however, tech-wise, everything would be so sleek and automated, it would all but eliminate human error…which is what good drama is all about Charlie Brown…
    So where can we possibly go where no one has gone before? Stone Trek…?…with Captain Urk…?

9. Matthew says:

I hope the new Trek show isn’t set in the alternate universe (JJ lens flare universe) and I hope it isn’t another prequel. Go forward or go nowhere.

10. jamesoglover says:

“They are now shopping for a writer.”

I vote for Michael Chang Gummelt of Raven Software/Activision. He’s been working on an original ST TV series for over 20 years.

Go get ’em, Mike!

11. T0rchwood says:

CBS Chief idiot Les Moonves (or whatever the hell his name is) HATES Star Trek. So much so that he personally supervised the bulldozing of the Entrerprise series sets. And all Kurtzman can give us every three years is a remake of a 30 year old movie (TWOK). No wonder Paramount took away control of the next movie and gave the writing to “Scotty”. Yes on a new series, but give it to someone that CARES about the material, not someone that needs a job.

12. Bob Littlepage says:

So long as Kurtzman is attached, this project is doomed, particularly if he doesn’t bring in some of the experienced producers, writers, and technical experts who worked on previous Star Trek productions. If he follows JJ’s lead and alienates anyone associated with previous productions, it’ll be lucky to get that first episode in the can and on the air.

13. Tom says:

“The launch strategy is meant to capitalize on “Star Trek’s” ardent OTT fanbase”

There’s a fundamental calculation on the part of CBS here…

“We’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately”

If this is what CBS truly believes then this series is dead before it even launches. Kurtzman doesn’t know thing one about Trek, he’s not even a fan of the series, and he certainly doesn’t know the audience. Bob Orci is the hardcore Trekker not Kurtzman. I wouldn’t watch this series even if it was free and I’m certainly not going to pay for it.

14. Bill Uyesugi says:

Death of the series… Like Tron when Disney put it on their XD, and then wondered why nobody was watching a channel that not that many people were paying to get… I guess I won’t be watching the new series as I will not pay for a streaming service outside of what I already have. CBS is a little late to the party making their own service and thinking people will just jumpon board.

15. BillUSA says:

When “Star Trek: The Next Generation” debuted I thought that it was time for a revival. Despite the anti-Kirk as Captain at least we had Riker and Worf there to provide some grit to help offset the femininity of the series.

Then came “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and all these years later my otherwise fertile imagination fails to come up with anything good to say for a series which was essentially set in the United Nations building next to a space subway a few centuries from now.

Not to be satisfied with an over-abundance of feminism, the movers and shakers thought we need to be treated to “Star Trek: Estrogen” which had a bunch of geldings being led by a female version of Captain Picard (I know its difficult to make a distinction, but stay with me). I will say that watching Seven-of-Nine sashay down the corridor never got old.

The best of them all was presented in the form of the much-maligned “Star Trek: Enterprise” which probably failed because the testosterone matched the estrogen level that permeated the franchise since the end of the original series.

My question is why do we need a sixth incarnation to force-feed the same message we’re becoming numb to? If they decide to, I dunno, present a series with an interesting arc where girls are girls and men are men (including the aliens) then I might be interested. But if I were a betting man, we can expect to be drilled (yet again) on the benefits of an unrealistic utopian existence in a malevolent Universe – however unlikely they are.

In retrospect, it would have been far better if they stopped after the “All Good Things…” episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation”. As for the movie franchise, they lost me with the alternate timeline.

• nico kanakaris says:

we need a sixth incarnation to put right what they have messed up in the past ever since the next generation went off the air!Yes deep space 9 was pretty weak besides some great characters like Sisko,and Odo and yes Janeway was picard with boobs and voyager had a couple of good moments but a lot of bad one !!!and yes enterprise was complete rubbish!!!this all is just the reason to make a 6th series,but please do it right this time!!!!!!!the new series should have complex characters,older crew members,not the typpical glossy babes and hunks!!!!make it realistic.it has to breathe quality,morals should be the first focus,not action.visuals can add to a series but are not the most important,and please no more rubber forehead/nore aliens,either you make one or you dont.and please be the first series that doesnt make the ugly aliens the bad guys again!!!
      the Captain should have a past,a complex past that will be revieled episode after episode litlle by litlle and people will at first really not like the new captain but as the series progresses and we see more of his motivations into doing the things his way we start to respect him-her-it…

• Matthew says:

You dislike more Trek than you like. Why bother commenting on this story? If it’s not Kirk and 60’s short mini skirts on the women fetching coffee, you don’t like it. Guess what Mr. A HOLE, women should be treated as equals. Eventually sexists like you will all be dead.

• Ador says:

The real question is could you be anymore of a backwoods misogynist? Your beer scented rant is the single stupidest thing I’ve read in quite awhile. Perhaps you should stick to swillin Miller Lite in the back of your pickup and the occasional date with your cousin.

• Matthew says:

Sorry. My reply was intended for BillUSA. I didn’t realize I hit the wrong button.

• Matthew says:

16. Not U2 says:

Please no. It will just end up to be another soap opera like every other TV series. That’s all Hollywood can write now. Politically correct soap operas with women in charge and men whining about their feelings. We’ve really had enough Star Trek for a thousand years.

17. JoeMcG says:

An interesting idea, but there are already too many streaming subscriptions to choose from. I feel like the networks are nickle-and-diming us to death… six dollars here, eight dollars there, ten dollars elsewhere… add it all up and it starts to be as big as traditional cable or satellite, not to mention the cost of high-speed internet service. CBS things there’s an audience here… that may be, but how big? It can’t be anywhere near the traditional network audience..

18. Ken says:

Love the STAR TREK universe…but can do without the hassle or costs involved in streaming it. Not for me.

19. Bob says:

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,”..

Aside from the fact that you’re not giving fans a new series, you’re making them pay for it. Nice job preemptively announcing the coming fail.

20. chum lee says:

Well I was excited about this, before the whole streaming thing. I’m not paying for a streaming service for one show so….looks like i’m going to “acquire” the episodes that air, and then watch it die after a short time because nobody wants the service. Sigh.

21. Does CBS think the hardcore Trekkies will PAY monthly for a series produced by the idiot who gave us STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS? Obviously they do, but what a miscalculation. Kurtzmann is a buffoon. Good luck with that

• Matthew says:

I won’t pay for the service. I’ll wait until the episodes are available for free online. “Enterprise” was killed because Paramount insisted on airing it on UPN. Is that network still around? This show will have a similar fate if they stick to the streaming plan. It would be nice if they read comments like this. I haven’t seen one fan say they can’t wait to sign up for the service.

• MKC says:

Everyone loved Star Trek Into Dumbness – except you and me apparently

22. JMS says:

Hopefully this will be StarTrek Renegades, the extremely professional fanfic series that Stars (among others) Walter Koenig as Admiral Chekov, which was made with CBS’s blessing.

• Kevin says:

JMS, Renegades, or any other fan film for that matter, does not have CBS’s blessing. They just tolerate fan made films at this point…as long as they don’t profit from it.

• Matthew says:

I am keeping my expectations low. After the most recent two Trek movies I expect this show to be Trek in name and slight resemblance only.

23. zan ta twani says: