ABC Family Casts Dominic Sherwood in ‘Shadowhunters’ Series

shadowhunters dominic sherwood jace
Image courtesy of Jason Merritt/Getty Images

British actor Dominic Sherwood has been cast as Jace in ABC Family’s saga series “Shadowhunters,” based on “The Mortal Instruments” books, Variety has learned.

Sherwood starred in “Vampire Academy” and is also known for being featured in Taylor Swift’s “Style” video.

The supernatural series follows 18-year-old Clary Fray (yet to be cast), who finds out on her birthday that she is not who she thinks she is, and that she comes from a long line of Shadowhunters, human-angel hybrids who hunt down demons. When Clary’s mother, Jocelyn, is kidnapped, she is thrown into the world of demon hunting with mysterious Shadowhunter Jace (Sherwood) and her best friend, Simon. Living among faeries, warlocks, vampires and werewolves, Clary begins a journey of self-discovery as she learns more about her past and what her future may hold.

Jace is described as narcissistic and “lethally gorgeous.” He is a determined and expert Shadowhunter, as well as a skilled soldier in the war against demons. After his father is killed, Jace makes it his mission to seek revenge on the man who is responsible.

In the 2013 feature film “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” Jamie Campbell Bower starred as Jace, alongside Lily Collins as Clary.

Based on the series by Cassandra Clare, “Shadowhunters” is produced by Constantin Film and exec produced by Ed Decter and McG, who will also direct the first episode.

1. Diane says:

I agree. This Jace character is not attractive at all. I don’t even want to watch it with a character that is less then even average looking. The least they could have done was come a little close to what the character was supposed to look like. Since the whole series is based on the Jace character somewhat in the lead, I think it is a great dissapointment. He is hard to look at. Just being honest.

2. Reay says:

I am going to watch this show because I absolutely LOVED the books and the movie. However, i am really disappointed in the new Jace. I think Jamie was the perfect person and i would have not minded about any other replacement for the rest of the cast. This new Jace just isn’t Jace like at all, and if they couldn’t have Jamie they could have chosen a close match. So even though i will watch the show, my heart is sad and will not feel the same about the character jace as i did in the book and movie.

3. Ash says:

I don’t feel like it’s right to have a new Jace on screen or another person to play it. I feel as if Jamie would be a better Jace because, you can actually get the feel of Jace. He makes it perfectly. The same for Isabelle and Simon. I think the new castings should be cancelled and bring back the old cast. They are the originals plus, they all fit into this genre and this movie. I’m a huge fan of TMI, but that’s just my opinion of course.

4. Natalie says:

i personally don’t agree with Sherwood being Jace, im a huge fan of the books and it just doesn’t seem right but i guess its quite hard to cast Jace… im please with the casting choice for Simon though :)

5. I was so exited when i heard that there was coming a TV-serie of TMI! But this really really disappoints me. He is so not Jace like, not even close. Have they even read the books!?

6. pont says:

I’ve got city of bones in my iTunes. I basically played the movie a lot! Love it so much. I hope the TV version won’t be disappointed.

7. Morgan says:

Why o why can’t the original cast be kept (or at least Jamie Camble Bower and Lilly Collins).It’s gonna be kinda awkward because those of us Mortal Instruments fans already grew to love the cast who originally played in the movie “City of Bones”. While I loved the movie it left out a lot of the events in the book, which is why I have no problem with a show.

8. Kayla Keith says:

I strongly agree with about half of the other comments here. Most TMI fans are incredibly disappointed. As for the fans who weren’t happy with the film casting — I highly doubt that they would actually be satisfied with any cast, so that means that we will all be watching this show very begrudgingly. Why, oh why, was it sold to ABC Family, of all networks?! I am still, and always will be, heartbroken that they didn’t just get a new screen writer, who could adapt the books faithfully, and continue on with the films.

9. Tracey says:

I’m so excited! Dominic Sherwood will be great! I really can’t wait to see who else they cast for the series. I hope the show is much better than the movie. I’m such a huge book fan and was so disappointed with the movie. The casting was especially terrible – the only 2 I was happy with were Simon and Luke, and even they couldn’t save it! Gosh I’m so excited that this will be turned into a series!

• DID YOU NOT READ THE BOOK SERIES WOMAN…DOMINIC SHERWOOD IS SO DAM UGLY…HE CAN NEVER PLAY JACES ROLE..I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY THEY PICKED HIM OF ALL…IT WOULD BE BETTER IF THEY CHOSED ALEX PETTYFER BUT THAT GUY DOMINIC DOESN’T FIT THE ROLE ONE BIT ..JACE IS SUPPOSED TO BE BEAUTIFUL AS THEY SAY IN THE BOOK I CAN’T EVEN BE HAPPY AND WATCH THE SERIES I DO HOPE THAT ITS GREAT THOGUH AT LEAST CAN’T WAIT TO SEE CLARY

10. Mya says:

To be honest, at first I wasn’t sure of the City of Bones actors. After I considered it, I would only have replaced Valentine and Alec. Valentine was mean to be. white-haired, and Alec eighteen. They were all great actors. Not who I would choose for the Shadowhunter series but I’d like to see how it goes, he could be great too.

11. j m says:

So glad they are not using the same Jace actor from the movie. He did not fit the description of Jace from the books at all. Way too skinny n not angelic enough. He was too sharp n pointy looking for the character with not enough muscles. Nothing against the actor but not a good character pick. This new actor matches the description of Jace better. Just hope he can act. I wasn’t a fan of the Clary n Valentine actors from the movie either. The only actors that fit the character descriptions well were those that played Simon, Alec, Izzy, Luke, n Magnus. Loved the actress that played Jocelyn but not a good pick for the character. So I’m glad they are recasting Jace, Clary, n Valentin, but wished some of the other actors stayed. So excited for the TV series!

• Janice says:

Totally with you on the terrible casting of Jace for the movie. Jamie was AWFUL. Jace is supposed to be absolute perfection, and Jamie was just gangly, awkward, and too lanky and scrawny. No abs or anything on that dude. Dom on the other hand in Taylor Swift’s “Style” video… *cue drool*

• bryan says:

HEY jamie campbell bower is perfect and if you have a problem with that ill be GLAD to kick you a**!!!

• bryan says:

and lily collins is perfect and so is Jamie and Don’t forget Lena Headey she was Perfect bitch so try me ….. yes valentine needs to look buff and old not young so he is the only one who needs a new actor so try me u keep your hate club out of here!!!!

12. Ariane says:

Honestly you can’t change family. All the actors playing in the city of bones movie should be in the Tv-show.Why can’t Jamie Campbell and Lilly Collins playing the main rolls as in the movie?
    Jason isn’t the right Jace! Jamie Campbell was way better. I don’t get it why you replacing the actors.
    This ruins it. New actors means new story.

13. M says:

This is actually not a flattering picture of him. I felt the same when I first saw it but then looked up other pictures, and Sherwood really does have the rigid bone structure as Jace. As for Jamie, I’m glad he’s not in it. He could act like Jace good enough, but he in no way matched my image of him. Way too skinny, Jace is supposed to have some serious muscles.

14. EA says:

Are you kidding me? A Shadowhunters TV show? Did they miss the part where the movie tanked? What has that talentless rip-off merchant, Cassandra Clare, done to have so much money thrown at her derivative, anodyne series? There’s better, more original stuff out there to adapt – please just let this woman sink into obscurity where she belongs.

15. Alexis says:

I agree that physically he does not look perfect, but I think that looks aren’t as important as the acting and being able to ‘be the character’. They can dye his hair, and put contacts on him, and maybe slim him up a bit, but if he is the best actor, then looks should not be as important. What is more important? Jace look alike that can’t act, or a physically not quite right Jace who is a great actor?

16. Karen says:

I’m not sure. I think I’ll always think of Jamie Campbell bower as Jace. Wasn’t he available? This guy…I hope they give him a wig and the right color of gold-amber lenses.

17. Beverlie says:

Really liked the movie and all the books, even the Bane Chronicals

18. M says:

i think that he fits Alec’s description better than Jace’s,but that’s just my opinion. He is a good actor though and I hope they don’t ruin Jace’s character being that he is one of the main characters of TMI

19. R- says:

I am so disappointed as well. This guy doesn’t meet the description of Jace. There are many actors out there that would’ve fit the role better. Just when I thought the series will get what it deserves…shouldn’t have gotten my hopes high…

20. fangirl says:

I’m so dissapointed. He’s hot but he’s far from Jace… And he’s like 25 :(

21. Tracy =) says:

I’m more excited about this then I should be!

22. Faz says:

I am definitely not disappointed, McG has found the right jace but I wish jamie campbell bower could be jace because he is the perfect jace in my mind.