FX Renews Denis Leary’s ‘Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll’ For Season 2

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll cancelled
Courtesy of FX

Denis Leary’s musical comedy “Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll” has been renewed for a second season, FX announced Wednesday. The half-hour series will return with 10 new episodes in 2016, starring Leary, Elizabeth Gillies, John Corbett, Elaine Hendrix, Robert Kelly and John Ales.

The announcement was made by Eric Schrier and Nick Grad, Presidents of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions

“We are thrilled with ‘Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll’ and it proved to be one of the highest-rated new comedies on cable this year,” Schrier said. “We thank Denis and the rest of the cast, along with Jim Serpico and Tom Sellitti, for a terrific first season and look forward to indulging in more ‘Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll’ in season two.”

Added Leary, “The only thing that could make me happier about this announcement is if David Bowie decided to be a guest star during Season Two. In which case, my head would explode. Hopefully on-camera so we get a kickass viral video out of it. Not to mention awesome Live+3s. I look forward to once again creating new episodes of television with John Landgraf’s exceptional FX team. And scoring some cool ‘Bastard Executioner’ swag.”

Leary created the series and also serves as a writer, composer, director and an executive producer along with Jim Serpico. “S&D&R&R” is produced by FX Productions and Fox 21 Television Studios.

1. What a horrible show... season 1 was bad, season 2 just just be killed immediately. says:

This show continually gets worse. There’s sex, yes. However, it seems to be mostly bordering on inter-band incestuous sex (odd). There’s no drugs at all, some slight reference here or there… and their notion of “rock & roll” seems VERY, VERY skewed.. they talk about Lady Gaga… then Adele, then a Broadway musical, then they play country bluegrass, then they play some pop anthem… there’s little to NO actual rock and roll in this show. Kind of like the comedy….. it’s absent as well. So, basically this show is “Sex (and a bunch of other words to make it sound interesting)” — They actually should retitle this show to “Dennis Leary’s Mid-Life Crisis” because beyond trying to make Leary feel popular, “hip”, “cool”, or young again.. there’s no redeeming value to this series.I enjoy seeing the eye candy that is Gillies and Hendrix, but it’s not worth the mental torture one must endure. This show should have NEVER made it to a second season… and honestly FX would do well to pull the plug immediately and trash the remainder of season 2.

2. Steve says:

Loved season 1 but season 2 is absulutely terrible. Stop watching season 2 episode 2 halfway through. Thought maybe it was an anomaly so I tuned in for episode 3 and it was just as bad. I like the characters but the storyline has gone downhill.

3. Charles says:

I loved season 1, and the first episode of season 2. Now the language and excessive sexual nonsense in season 2 episodes 2 & 3 are just plain un-nessisary. Me being in my early 50’s and having a very bad potty mouth I still find it a waste of time and just worthless. My daughter is 22 and the same as I am in being a potty mouth and feels the same way. I truly hope they change this before they start losing viewers.

4. Sandra Conners says:

Another Denis Leary attempt to shock!!
    It doesn’t do anything for me and DL looks ridiculous in that mullet and if he’s trying to resemble David Bowie? Not working for you. I liked the first couple episodes & especially love John Corbett but I found that tonight’s episode & DL’s overacting, ‘annoying’. Tries hard to shock!!!
    Still missing SOA…

5. When is the 1st episode for season 2 ?

6. Wendy says:

Denis is a genius . Love this show and so happy for season 2 :)

7. Allison says:

Oh so happy it’s returning !!!! Love everything about this show…so funny, music, characters !!!!

8. Jazmin says:

It’s too bad that David Bowie can’t now ….. R.I.P Bowie :(

9. Maynar says:

When? WHEN?? I can’t find any info on season 2’s progected release date. Anyone?

10. donna fellws says:

I love this show, funny and entertaining. I came to this site to see when the next season starts?

11. Shegar says:

Awesome! Love Denis O’Leary! Shows not the great but fun and getting better!

12. Pat says:

funniest new show. So glad it is coming back.

13. Darlene Connorgrand says:

I’m addicted can you hurry up I need a fix 6 need me some sex drugs and rock and roll can’t wait .

14. Mary says:

Love this show. Denis Leary is terrific as is everyone in the show. Loved the episode when they all had to go to the shrink!

15. I love this show so hard. It’s hilarious, the dialogue is snappy and dramatic and real, but never sappy. The songs are amazing. I can’t believe how quick each episode is, every minute is so enjoyable that the time goes by fast while you’re watching. I will watch ten seasons or more of these people happily.

16. I love the show, & all the actors. I always laugh out loud. Denis Leary Is a genius at all he does. Writing Directing , Producing, etc.

17. Loincoth Larry says:

Please no more grating love ballads penned by Leary. The only thing worse than an actor creating an ego vehicle show is an actor insisting that his music be used in the show.

18. Debbie Dickey-Pate says:

My daughter works for Concrete Planet the Media Markering Co. In NY That has this show! So yes I’ve been watching and am SO glad it got picked up next season! I love it!

19. Sally says:

Love Dennis Leary in everything he does except this show. Happy for him it has been well received, but after a few episodes no more for me. Boring.

• Nickie Jeter says:

Kinda feel the same but watch the last episode or two again – have a feeling season two will bust out – hope he combs his gd hair!