Marvel’s ‘Secret Warriors’ Are Coming to ‘Agents of SHIELD’ – and Comic-Con (EXCLUSIVE)

agents of shield season 3 secret
Courtesy of ABC/Marvel

When “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD” returns to ABC this fall, the hit show will venture further into comic book territory by introducing characters inspired by Marvel’s “Secret Warriors,” Variety can exclusively reveal.

As Marvel fans know, in the comics, the Secret Warriors are a team of superpowered agents assembled by Nick Fury — including Daisy “Quake” Johnson (played by Chloe Bennet on the show). These special individuals are drawn from Fury’s Caterpillar initiative (which eagle-eyed viewers may have spotted an easter egg for in the season two finale) — made up of people with potential abilities who have remained hidden and thus are less likely to be compromised by their enemies.

Season three of “SHIELD” will introduce new friends and foes based on the “Secret Warriors” comic series when it premieres on Sept. 29. In the aftermath of SHIELD’s battle with Jiaying and the Inhumans, Director Coulson (Clark Gregg) will search the world for more powered people and assemble an extraordinary new team to deal with threats unlike the world has ever seen. However, the Agents of SHIELD will soon find out they’re not the only ones tracking down these new Inhumans.

Since Coulson and his team are already seeking out new recruits, ABC and Marvel are launching their own initiative at San Diego Comic-Con, giving fans a chance to be part of the team. From Thursday, July 9 through Saturday, July 11, SHIELD ambassadors will be roaming the convention to find the most dedicated fans and rewarding them with limited edition “Secret Warriors” pins. You can track the ambassadors on Twitter by following the @AgentsOfSHIELD account.

Fans who find themselves recruited to the “Secret Warriors” at Comic-Con will complete their first mission by posting a photo of themselves wearing the pin to social media using #SHIELDSecretWarriors, after which, “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD” cast members will select some of their favorite photos, which could get posted to the show’s official Twitter page, @AgentsOfSHIELD. (Terms and conditions here.)

More will be revealed about “Secret Warriors” and season three of “MAoS” during the “Marvel Television Presents” panel at SDCC on Friday, July 10 from 3:00 PM – 4:15PM in Ballroom 20.

“Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD” returns to ABC on Tuesday, September 29 at 9 p.m.

1. Jacques Strappe says:

Love Agents of SHIELD. First season was good, second season was great so expectations are extremely high for the third season. It’s how comic books should be done on television by adults and for adults.

2. allspark says:

The second half of season 2 with the traitor-of-the-week was worse than the first half.
    But superheroes for season 3 sounds not less monotonous, it sounds like it will be just any old superhero-show with the super-villain-of-the-week to me. In my opinion this is just as boring as bring the Avengers in.

Super-powered people fighting other super-powered people is nothing special in a world full of super-powers and crazy artifacts. People without super-powers fighting such threats, like the Agents of SHIELD, are special. But tha’ts only my opinion.
    I will season 3 give a try, but I don’t think i will like it.

Back to english listening comprehension with Doctor Who on DVD.

Sorry for the bad grammar, have to refresh my English.

3. BillUSA says:

I grew up in the 1960’s reading Thor, Spiderman, Iron Man and even crossed the border into DC Comics to read Batman. I was floored by the first two iron Man films and the Avengers movie. They were done with the right amount of truth to canon as well as contemporary humor. I ventured into AoS watching it a year after the season is completed and I’m not put off by the delay. I don’t watch television unless certain sports are on and maybe a documentary here and there.

Anyway, the first season went by as fine as could be expected. There were enough twists and turns to keep it interesting while standing on its own without having to invite the Avengers in for an appearance to keep the interest going. But Season 2 took a turn for the slightly worse in that it seemed to be rehashing the same “traitor-of-the-week” formula. I mean, you have to be able to trust ONE character and it seems that this universe is full of two-faced individuals in order to expand the episode list from 13 to 22. I grew tired of the Grant Ward story arc after he first betrayed Hydra after betraying S.H.I.E.L.D. not because his isn’t an interesting character study, but because b y that point, the show became predictable.

Perhaps the producers and writers have sensed this and feel the need to tap into another well of the Marvel Universe for more, less-monotonous material. I want this show to succeed, but success isn’t achieved by repetitive motion. That’s just practice.

4. Betty boop says:

Marvel is boycotting SDCC this year. They can shove it.

• Jacques Strappe says:

Not sure where you got your info,Boop, but Marvel (television) is represented at San Diego Comic Con. Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter and the Marvel Netlix series are being promoted. None of the Marvel films are being represented this year which might be in deference to the big Star Wars push at Comic Con .by Disney’s other “tiny”studio.

5. allspark says:

I loved Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., because the Heroes were not Super.
    Superheroes of S.H.I.E.L.D.? No, thank you.

6. Ray Nerd says:

“Not all heroes are super,” but some are.

7. Danielle says:

Remember when the show was about “not all heroes are super”? That was the show I was sold,and the show I loved.

Secret Warriors is a cool idea but it’s talking the show further and further away from what it was meant to be – or what it was promoted to be about anyway.

• T. Kelly says:

Keep the faith. The show’s writers and producers are clever enough to make the show work with a super-powered team in the mix, and keep the “not all heroes are super” theme. Re-watch the Season 2 finale and you see that emphasis in nearly every win for the good guys. All the trades will jump to the conclusion that the show is moving to a superhero focus, but I’m not buying that. The show is too smart for that.

• Karen Woods says:

I do remember that tag- and I did and do love the show. But I also figure the show runners have a long game plan mapped out, and the show was always meant to evolve and change. Sure, there will be folks with superpowers on the show…( the seeds of Skye’s transformation were planted very early in the first season ) but there will also be the agents that don’t have the superpowers, and the mix will make things very interesting…plenty of room for conflict, especially leading up to a certain “Civil War” movie.

8. Can’t wait for the new season to begin….

9. Mel says:

This show is still on? Huh.

• Robert Dassler says:

Ya betcha! If you’re not watching you’re missing out.

• Kyle W. says:

[shrug] They’re good at finales. Secret Warriors is also the source of the “SHIELD is HYDRA” twist from the Winter Soldier film.