‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ Actor Sawyer Sweeten Dies of Suicide

Sawyer Sweeten dead
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

UPDATED: Sawyer Sweeten, an actor best known for his role as one of the young twins on hit sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond,” died of a suicide on Thursday, his manager Dino May confirmed. He was 19.

“This morning a terrible family tragedy has occurred,” Sweeten’s sister, Madylin, said in a statement. “We are devastated to report that our beloved brother, son, and friend, Sawyer Sweeten, took his own life. He was weeks away from his 20th birthday. At this sensitive time, our family requests privacy and we beg of you to reach out to the ones you love.”

According to Radar Online, which first reported the news, he was visiting family in Texas, where he is believed to have shot himself on the front porch.

Sweeten played Geoffrey Barone on “Everybody Loves Raymond,” which ran from 1996-2005 on CBS. He acted alongside his twin brother, Sullivan, and their sister Madylin, who played Ally Baron, for 139 episodes. The two brothers were only 16 months old when they first started on the show.

Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Brad Garrett, Doris Roberts, Peter Boyle and Monica Horan also starred in the comedy.

Sawyer Sweeten was born in Brownwood, Texas. As a child, he and his brother shared roles in the 2002 film “Frank McKlusky, C.I.” and a 2000 episode of Disney Channel series “Even Stevens.”

Sawyer, Sullivan and Madylin Sweeten last appeared in public together at the 2010 TV Land Awards.

1. Mel heichman says:

How do I get in touch with someone on everyone loves Raymond. In one episode they used the name Abe warchiser aka bullet head. He was the track coach st Erasmus hall high school. I replaced him in1957 as track coach and physical education teacher. One of the writers must have run track at Erasmus. Wondering who?

2. Lenore Croce says:

My heart is broken for the entire Family. I watched the Twins and “Alley ” grow up on T.V. from day one. I pray God gives the Family and friends the Strength they need to endure this. THE CAST from EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND HAS SUFFERED A GREAT PERSONAL LOST. DORIS RIBERTS IS WATCHING OVER HIM IN HEAVEN. Goosebumps all over my body, with a very saddened heart.

3. Ashley says:

This is so sad I wish I could do something for his twin brother and his sister I cried my eyes out when I first heard this

4. Desiree says:

My Prayers are going out to the Family . May he rest in peace . Just know When something so tragic happens its know ones fault . I hope you know he is in God loving arms now and Jesus Christ and God Know everything and they have forgiven him and are watching over your whole family in this time of need and needed comfort.He is safe . unfortunate that his time was so brief in this world .

5. Greg Weber says:

This is a terrible tragedy.

6. Kathy Sharkey says:

Blessings on this beautiful boy, and on his family. I am a Christian also, but I don’t think CHOICE or cowardice has anything to do with suicide. I think anxiety/emotional angst is sometimes so overwhelming and so incredibly painful that it is intolerable. The person cannot bear it anymore, so ends life. All we can do is regularly reach out and connect with those we love, stay in close contact so we’re aware of grief in others’ lives, and let them know we care deeply about them. Perhaps that will help. Try not to have any huge ‘fallings out’ or episodes that wound people–always try to interact with love. The greatest power is Kindness.

7. Sharon Burcham-Darr says:

We do not know why Sawyer committed suicide, everyone say its the cowards ay out. We need to respect this family. Hate the Sin, but not the Sinner. As a Christian, my belief is suicide goes against God, but we’re supposed to hate the Sin, love the Sinner. I’ve read some of the nasty comments, realize what this family must be going thru so much. God Bless the Family/Friends. Prayers are needed at this time.

8. Sharon Burcham-Darr says:

Learning of this young mans suicide

9. Pizzo Panzarino says:

I think it’s wack how someone can take their own life especially at such a young age. RIP Sawyer

10. Julienne says:

So glad we kept our children out of show business when they were young. Most child actors become head cases and drug addicts as they grow-up. Very sad. RIP

11. Lorene Farnsworth says:

I bet it’s the one on the right.

12. Lorene Farnsworth says:

I feel for him and all his loved ones who are left here to suffer and wonder if they could have done more. No, you couldn’t have, it wasn’t about you. Sleep tight, beautiful boy.

13. dirtdefender says:

people dont just die from suicide, they kill themselves. its a moral differing. spin your words though, numb the tragedy. its still a loss, sad.

14. Norman Stanley says:

R.I.P Sawyer Sweeten you were great in Everybody Loves Raymond – My Condolences to your family & friends

15. sjsims says:

So sad! Prayers and comfort. <3

16. Freida Webb says:

So sorry for the loss. I loved the show & the twins were great. May God bless & comfort you.

17. s l hopper says:

Your family is in my prayers.

18. Shirley Power says:

I feel like I was so much apart of his life because every since the show was on I watched it faithfully. I also watch the reruns daily. My heart goes out to his family and friends at this time. Having so many people close to me that have passed I really take comfort in this passage in the bible when a time when know more pain or tears (Revelations 21:4)

19. Michelle Simmons says:

My heart was so heavy when I saw this! I watch the show faithfully and it was like a close friend had died! May he rest in peace. And prayers of comfort to the family!

20. colleen Johnson says:

I feel so sorry for the family. I hope you all get closer one day. He has no idea how many are hurting from this. He had his whole life ahead of him 19 is so young..
    Colleen Johnson

21. This is so sad! He was only 19 yrs old. I am sure this is really hard on the entire family. It really has to be hard for his twin brother. I am sure they were close. When people do these kinds of things they have no idea how many people are affected by this tragedy. I feel for the family and hope they can have closure some time…. So sorry!

22. Our deepest condolences to Sawyer’s family and friends. at this sad time. He was such a sweet boy…very talented and funny…he will be missed….

23. When I see things like this, I can’t help but to think we are not doing our job as a group, society, culture, or what have you. That a beautiful, talented and successful young man with his whole life in front of him can’t find a reason to go on, kind of makes me wonder why I should still be here. Perhaps it is to lend some humility, as there is truly no telling what is really going on.

24. Honey Zink says:

Condolences to his Family. God Bless you all.

25. Ann dean says:

Condolences to his family. What a terrible tragedy for them

26. lisa bozdeck says:

Suicide doesn’t usually have anything to do with how bad or good your life is. It’s your PERCEPTION of your life. It’s those little crazy wires in your brain and/or chemicals that make you feel this way. If you’ve never suffered from depression, you have NO idea what it feels like.

• Tara says:

I agree with you Lisa Bozdeck. We should never (blame) the victim. You have no idea what a person is going through unless we are(walking) in “their” shoes. And if Depression was there,which I’m sure it was all the fame and money and youth in the world can’t take “it” away. There are usually many (layers) that a person begins to not know how to “cope” with. That’s why early Intervention is so key. But no one is to “blame”. I was SHOCKED to hear this news, especially that it was a suicide. We never know the deep pain another person is carrying in their psyche. Rest in peace sweet Sawyer.You will be missed! My condolences go out to all his family and friends and those who loved him.

• s l hopper says:

So true. God is holding him in his arms.

• april says:

I can’t even imagine but I agree. Depression is very hard. I felt a sense of dread once and it was awful. I said what the heck was that and realized it was depression. How awful that people try to live with that.

27. Amy says:

How hard can life be at 19 to want to kill yourself? I don’t get it. smh

28. Donna says:

We are so so sorry for your loss… GOD BLESS to your family and your Sitcom family. May he watch you on Eagles Wings!

29. i’d not say r.i.p.when a person commits suicide.i’m in the minority.

• Nancy says:

Everyone has a low point in their lives. Hope you can deal with it, because the ones who deny it could never happen to them are the ones who suffer the most when it hits.

30. Sam America says:

He was a actor since he was a baby! He must have had money and a good easy life from the show.
    Him and his brother and sister seem to be close and come from a good family so what happen? It
    seems most of these young people who never have to struggle or work hard in life can’t handle most
    problems that most people struggle and deal with everyday and money is a big issue especially today.
    You would think that would help some of these people realize how lucky they are in life? I guess not.
    He was a talented kid actor and it’s a shame he decided to take his own life at such a young age.

• brandon drake says:

They are not the luck ones. They are the cursed ones. And once they see the real picture alot of good people can’t handle it and break down. He was frantic. Lost in the truth probably. When your that “lucky” you question what life really is and your not distracted by the media and things poor people are distracted. You think you have it all but its not good enough and your not truely happy because you don’t know how to be. Your blinded by money sense birth.

• dave says:

first let me correct your last sentence: SINCE birth. ok now that that’s done brandon, let me ask you how you know all those things you said? how do you KNOW that when you are that lucky you question what life really is? i am not that lucky and i question what life really is all the time. i question what reality is, if the color i know as blue is the same blue everyone else sees… i question everything. even our senses are just interpretations. when we see something, we aren’t actually seeing it. our eyes are sending signals to the back of our brain and our brain is creating an image inside our minds. nothing we know is real, and what we can touch, smell, see, and hear is less than 1/1,000,000th of reality. you don’t have any right to write such a comment unless you lived the life this kid lived. also suicide is dumb, this kid should have just ate some mushrooms and went for a hike.

31. TwasMeant2Be says:

Deeply saddened to learn of Sawyer Sweeten’s passing. My thoughts are with his loved ones. He and his brother and sister were so adorable on “Everybody Loves Raymond”. Gone far far too soon…May his soul rest with the angels. ♥

32. I am truly saddened by this senseless loss. RIP

33. Chelsea says:

My prayers go out to the family and hopefully one day some one can come up with a cure to end suicide thoughts.

• My condolences to the Sweeten family. I pray that his family can have the privacy they need to comfort one another without the negative comments from us the strangers that don’t know them personally and don’t have a clue as to why a young person does what this youngman did. We don’t know him personally or what he was going through. I do believe that child actors should have some type of counseling early on to prepare them for success and rejection and to give them a safe haven and sounding board to address anything they have on their mind that they’d like to talk about. By no means do I pass judgement on this child. God bless him and his family. I am so sad for them.

34. Lola Wynkoop says:

The question is why? What and why did he do it? Could it have been stopped?

35. Faye says:

I am so sorry for your loss of this young man. I really enjoyed watching them when they were little. We will be praying for the friends and family.

36. I LOVE THESE TWINS. I AM SO HURT. OMG!

37. Waswa Gilbert says:

May his soul rest in eternal peace.we a wiz u by holly spirit.

38. Aimee says:

People take their lives for many different reasons. In the absence of any evidence to that effect, why on earth would you say such a thing? Please, think before you post something like that. Losing someone to suicide is incredibly painful, something I know first-hand. Don’t make it harder on his family with speculation.

• cb says:

i am so sorry for his family ,it is a terrible tragedy God bless you and give you strength to help you through this terrible tragedy .

39. It’s a great tragedy–my condolences to the family.

40. Steve Smith says:

Very sad. This is a terrible tragedy. It is beyond my comprehension why a beautiful young person could feel such pain that he would want to die. May God take him into His keeping and be with his family. I could not begin to imagine how terrible their grief is.

41. Dehliaa says:

My condolences to his twin sibling Sullivan, sister, Madylin, and his parents. I hope this visit was one of great love and support. His death is a huge loss. My condolences and prayers to each one of you.

42. Dehliaa says:

My heart and prayers go to his twin brother, Sullivan, and sister,Madylin, and his mother and father for your loss. Each of you individually had a special relationship with Sawyer. My prayers are that you understand it wasn’t your fault that this happened. Sawyer, in his own way now is in a better place. Not sure what caused or brought this on, but my prayers also to his lost soul for the release he felt he needed. At least he was with you all one last time. I loved this show, and the children were all great in it. May peace abide in all who know, knew and will always remember him. A fan,

43. Atomic Fury says:

This is terrible. Goes to show you how misleading the television role can be of the real state of an actor. I love that show and adored the Sweeten children. My heart-felt condolences to his family.

NOTE TO EDITOR: The last name of the television role is Barone.

44. S.Drimmer says:

Oh geez. If he’d committed suicide with a car would you want to ban cars?? This is a tragedy, period.

45. Again, easy access to a gun makes suicide too easy. How horrible for this young man and his family.

• Shawnna says:

This has nothing to do with guns; people use drugs, razors, rope and buildings to end their suffering. This has nothing to do with the medium in which he used but has everything to do with his emotional state at the time he choose to do it. There are many things in this world we will never stop: suicide, racism, child molestation, bullying, bigotry, car accidents, and domestic violence. We live in a world of destruction that will always find a way to chaos. How we react to tragedy determines our humanity. We need to stop blaming and embrace in love and support so others can learn to move on and know people are there to help them through.

46. We hate you saying it too. leave your conjecture to your own thoughts. why destroy this boy’s memory with scandalous rumor?

47. Daniels says:

Poor baby.

48. DRB says:

Why would you even make such a terrible assumption? You hate to say it?

• Sharon Burcham-Darr says:

We’re honestly upset over learning of Sawyers death, we watch reruns all of the time. Our Prayers go out to his family & friends. Some say its the cowards was out, but it happened and we need to respect the family at this time. I as a Christian do not condone suicide, but we don’t know what he was going. R.I.P/GOD Bless everyone, its very sad.

49. Amy says:

Jodi Sweeten is of no relation. She’s an only child.