Raven Symone, Whoopi Goldberg Defend Bill Cosby: ‘He Has Not Been Proven a Rapist’

Whoopi Goldberg The View Bill Cosby
Courtesy of NBC

Whoopi Goldberg is continuing to defend Bill Cosby as new court documents reveal that the embattled comedian testified in 2005 to drugging women for sex.

Goldberg insisted that the former TV star “has not been proven a rapist” while discussing the new revelations with her co-hosts on the “The View” Tuesday.

“In America, still — I know it’s a shock — you are innocent until proven guilty,” she said. “He has not been proven a rapist.”

Court docs stemming from a 2005 lawsuit filed by former Temple University employee Andrea Constand show that Cosby admitted to giving Constand three tablets of Benadryl and having seven prescriptions for Quaaludes. Cosby said he offered the sedative to at least one woman and “other people.”

“I don’t like snap judgments because I’ve had snap judgments made on me, so I’m very, very careful,” Goldberg continued. “Save your texts, save your nasty comments. I don’t care.”

New “View” host Raven Symone, who as a child starred with Cosby on “The Cosby Show,” was more cautious with her stance.

“I don’t like to talk about it much because he’s the reason I’m on this panel in the first place, he gave me my first job,” she said. “You need the proof and then I’ll be able to give my judgment here or there. Now that there are more facts, more people can come up.”

1. patty says:

GOLDBERG/SYMONE..Two Pigs in a Pod..or is it two peas in a pod? :) Personally, I think pig is an accurate description of these two race baiters.

2. Taji says:

Raven really didn’t defend him.

3. Kathy sawyer says:

Why didn’t Cosby film it for idiots like Whoopi and Raven…..and OJ was innocent too….Just because you are the same race why can’t you call it what it is…Cosby admitted he gave the drug in order to have sex with them….GUILTY….HOW ABOUT THAT!!!!!

4. Darrick Andre says:

New evidence has proven he’s guilty. He should be locked up.

5. Sutpen says:

It’s time to defend Cosby and other victims of liberal vituperation.

6. SallyFM says:

What more will it take to rid my tv screen of this vile drug taking, race baiting rape defender??????????????????????? Does money usurp all common sense and decency??

7. jdickerson23 says:

With Whoopi’s theory, Dylann Roof isn’t guilty either. He admitted it, but he has not been proven guilty. She gets more and more ignorant the older she gets. I will never watch anything involving her or Raven Symone ever again. The View should drop both of them. They are a disgrace to women.

8. John Rew says:

I think there is a far bit of reaching when people say he has admitted to it. It appears he has admitted to giving quaaludes to obtain sex, well I imagine the same thing is done often in those circles with cocaine. This doesn’t suggest rape. Illicit drugs and sex are common partners. Also the Idea that these accusers are unrelated is misleading as they have all decided to bring forth their allegations many years later at the same time which makes it clear that each of them has responded to other allegations in the first place. Furthermore it is disingenuous to ignore the current rape hysteria where people are being encouraged to make ridiculous claims about behaviour that hardly constitutes rape. The chances that anyone will suffer any consequences for a false accusation are extremely low.

9. Donald Luke says:

Women don’t make over 30 accusations without Cosby having done the crime. He is a serial rapist and Whoopi doesn’t want to know the truth.

• Marie Harris says:

@ John Rew: The Catholic priests were not called out until many years later either. Al Capone was never convicted of murder. Of course, people with power and money scare people to do their bidding. Strom Thurmond had an illegitimate daughter by a black maid. She did not talk until after his death. Do you understand what money and power do to people? (with good reason)

10. desibabu19 says:

Whoopi loses all respect from me anymore, She is off my list, wont read nothing about her. He may nto be guilty in court of law yet, he is certainly so in court of public opinion. It is like saying OJ is innocent of murders.

11. dee says:

Honestly I think he is guilty as sin. However, he is innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

12. Of course she said when Franklin Missouri prosecutor refused to indict policeman in Michael Brown shooting that he was……………”an idiot”. Wonder what the difference is, lol

13. Bill O'Toole says:

Back in those disco days everyone was taking Quaaludes – it was considered a recreational drug by the kids going to discos and rock concerts. WOMEN USED TO TAKE QUAALUDES THEMSELVES, for the fun of it. If someone had a party they had liquor, reefers, and Quaaludes for the gang. If a guy went on a date he had Quaaludes for himself and his date – or he was considered unhip – a loser.
    I never got into them myself, but apparently people took them to get high, euphoric and spacey.
    Bill O’Toole

14. Wanda Stevens says:

PLEASE FIRE WHOOPI GOLDBERG. SICK OF HEARING HER TALK AND REALLY SICK OF LOOKING AT HER – THOSE CLOTHES AND THAT HAIR. WHERE IS BARBARA WALTERS. PLEASE GET RID OF THE RIGHT ONE AND THAT IS WHOOPI.

15. maylavinia says:

It’s time to end The View. Long past time. It is irrelevant. That Goldberg and the new Raven Symone continue to support the man who seems likely to be eventually designated the nation;’s most prolific serial rapist is reason alone. Disgusting and unwatchable. Boring as well.

16. annanamiss says:

I find it disgusting that two shows, “The View” and “The Talk” are even on the air. A group of women sitting around a table given 6 figure salaries to gossip, spew their anger and judge. I wish others would stop watching so these shows can be canceled. These women make all women look bad. Enough.

17. D says:

I think when someone admits to doing what they are accused of it should tell you that the accusations have foundation. The funny thing is that if it was not Bill Cosby but George Bush who was the rapist, her attitude would be completely different. Whose the racist now Whoopi. I’m glad some of these women have filed civil suits against him as, at this point, it is their only remedy. I am an avid Democrat and no supporter of Bush but I see Whoopi for what she is and her ignorance is screaming. No wonder that show is in the toilet.

18. Marlene Jones says:

The problem is Cosby will never be proven guilty as the statute of limitations has run out on nearly every one of these claims. So all we have is this deposition of his where he admits in a courtroom under oath that he did drug women not just one, Whoopi to have sex with them. I don’t see this as anything but an admission of guilt. I hope these women can receive help and learn to accept what was done was horribly wrong but know this man will be free until he dies. Only then will he get his punishment.

19. Heather says:

This shouldn’t be about whether or not Raven or any other actor/actress has a job because of his show! This is about what Bill Cosby is “alleged” to have done to dozens of women! And Whoopi’s comment about “innocent until proven guilty” is pathetic! Did that apply to her during the Jerry Sandusky scandal? NO – she blasted him well before his trial! Did that apply to her during any other scandals in Hollywood or politics? NO! It only applies to her when she is defending HER friend!

20. Noel Blachter says:

I think its a bunch of sorry,low down people against Bill Cosby!

21. Old Bill Cosby drugged young women so they became like Jello, then he stuck all of them with his Stiff Chocolate Pudding Pop!

22. I stopped watching along time ago when nasty Joy was still spewing her anger. The show is done for and the nail in the coffen was today when Woopi and Raven stood with Cosby. At time’s in the past The View has been a glass show but at this point its a big yawn.

23. Bro Frank says:

These women should get a JOB…!!!

24. Bro Frank says:

Whoopi and Raven,…stand your ground…!!!…These women are talking from the shadows…There are at least two (2) sides to every story.These women should stop trying to hustle this old man for doing what many in show business have always done and is still doing..!!!

25. Penny Miller says:

Racist excusing a Rapist

26. JD Smith says:

Whoopi, Get your head out of your ass and stop supporting this serial rapist.What do you want?You have insulted all of the women this man has drugged and raped.There are 40+.How many more do you need?

27. Tracy Winters says:

I believe at this point people are delusional. We scream innocent until proven guilty then prosecute someone based on accusations. In the deposition he stated he got the drugs to have sex with women. In that SAME deposition some of the women admitted to KNOWINGLY taking those drugs. Not because they thought it was aspirin, but because they knew it was Quaaludes. Why would they take it? They knew what the drugs would do. Ironically I also overheard Jenny McCarthy today on a playback of her show Dirty, Sexy, Funny talking about how she loved Quaaludes (not in reference to Bill Cosby just happened to be on) while discussing Hugh Hefner. It seemed to be the ecstasy of the 70’s. None of us were there, who knows what these women may have done to further their career. Who knows how upset they might be since that didn’t happen and they slept with him for nothing. Lets see how it plays out before judging either side.

28. Jane Marshall says:

Whoopi, time to go, I can’t even listen to you anymore, 40 women who have never met each other all have the same story about being drugged and raped, Cosby says he had drugs, to have sex with girls (legal term: RAPE), if this happened to your daughter, would you still not ‘snap to judgement’. Whoopi always says ‘save your nasty comments’, well Whoopi, you save your nasty comments !!!. I can’t listen to you anymore, and now I am going to enjoy THE VIEW of another show because I am done with yours.

29. Rocco says:

I can understand how Raven Symone feels. But, she cannot keep defending a rapist (Bill Cosby) no matter how much good he had done for her.

30. Mark says:

I find it disgusting that Whoopi is still defending Bill Cosby. He has admitted the fact that he is a predator of sexual nature. She should be kicked off the show immediately. He has been proven already, he admitted it

31. Geronimo says:

Ugh. That is SO Raven.

32. Chanel says:

Very good statement, Raven-Symone. People have to realize if it wasn’t for Bill Cosby most of the actors/actresses today wouldn’t got their platform in the entertainment businesses, Angela Bassett, Blair Underwood, Raven-Symone, Keisha Knight Pullium, ect. So some of your favorite celebrities got their start from him…

33. Nancy says:

They won’t be fired. People need to boycott advertisers. Whoopi and sy one are I have an oj syndrome

34. John godfrey says:

Whoopi Goldberg Moscow the defense of Bill Cosby is disgusting.

35. Lots of people still do not believe OJ did it, the mind is a powerful thing, good and bad, especially when we really, really want to believe something.

36. Arnie Tracey says:

Whoopi raped, er, conned Ted Danson into a blackface fiasco. No cred. She’s off her Meds, and her Rocker.

37. chris says:

It is not unusual for the the ladies on The View to offer words of support to men accused of rape. They are not exactly feminists. They even offered support to the football knocked out his girlfriend and dragged her out into the hallway, and blamed the victim. All the hosts on the views seem like nice people but they make foe awful, awful TV, and the debates have no rhyme no reason. They should fire the entire cast and start fresh…how about….Padma Lakshmi, Candace Cameron Bure, and Ana Kasparian to start…I could imagine pretty coherent and interesting debates with those women.

38. Lynn Minier says:

I’m really getting sick of Whoopi G. She is getting so fake and in this case deluded. And I’d like to pull my race card now.. If he was white would he be guilty ..

39. Veronica says:

So they are taking the Cosby show off tv, huh! That sounds like part of the plan to take a TV show that portrays blacks in a positive way so that our black children can’t see it, sounds about right, white supremacy doing what they do best! Oh I can’t wait until all of the racist in this world are dead!!!

40. Nina says:

I saw “The View” this morning and I was BEYOND disgusted. Whoopi Goldberg and Raven-Symone are BOTH in serious denial…..Cosby has “Guilty” written all over his face.

41. Kathleen says:

But it’s okay for her to make “snap judgments” on the women who are “guilty” of making false rape accusations against Bill Cosby until they are proven innocent? Really? And no one calls her out on her hypocrisy there?

• Mixing drugs and sex unfortunately is not uncommon in show business. Why is Bill Cosby being singled out for persecution? Janice Dickinson said that she had a threesome with Grace Jones and ‘Rocky IV’ Dolph Lundgren. Janice says, “People ask me what it was like… But I don’t remember. We were so high” (on drugs). Dickinson also bragged to Howard Stern about having sex with over a thousand men (and a number of women).

Cosby’s persecution highlights a phenomenon in the U.S. where Black men are disproportionately accused of sexual assault. Some of the notable African-American men accused were jazz legend Charlie Parker, 2013 Heisman Trophy recipient Jameis Winston, Ceelo Green, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jackson, Lawrence Taylor, Jim Brown, and Meldrick Taylor, Scottsboro Boys, and Tupac Shakur.

Journalist Iva Anthony found that 10 out of 15 celebrities she covered for charges of sexual assault were African-American men, even though Black men represent 6 percent of U.S.’s population. What is the cause for this statistical discrepancy?

Source: “Be Aware: Celebrity Men Accused of Sexual Assault.” By Iva Anthony. April 14, 2014. Madam Noire.

42. Greeley says:

I guess Whoopi and Raven need a video tape before they condemn Cosby. Even then, they would probably say the tape was altered in some way. Deep down they know he is guilty. The man admitted he gave drugs to a girl in order to have sex with her. And they don’t see anything wrong with that? And Whoopi says it was the 80’s, blah, blah. Who cares if it was the 80’s, 90’s, whatever. The decade it was done in is no excuse, it is wrong in any decade. Good grief, when God was passing out brains, Whoopi and Raven missed out.

43. queenjahneen says:

Over 20 accusers and court testimony is not “snap judgement.” Drawing a conclusion on the first day… that is what the definition of a “snap judgement” would be…

44. colig says:

yes and they have not been proven to be talentless has beens yet they are.

45. Pat Murray says:

I am sure that John Hagee will not agree with Whoopi’s statement that she does not believe in snap judgements.

46. Jacques Strappe says:

Well, no, Bill Cosby has indeed not been convicted of rape or any other crime, Whoppi but the evidence and claims of several dozen women and people who were associated with Cosby over the last several decades is very damning to Cosby. At least admit you’re “disappointed” in Cosby. Any man who admits to buying drugs to give to women for sex is a total scumbag. I suppose you will always put this bro before his rape victim ho’s. At least Symone is honest in her unease in discussing anything about Cosby since he apparently is the only reason she is on television.(and probably lucky she was a prepubescent little girl while appearing on the Cosby show). How much more information do you require, Whoppi to condemn Cosby AND show some respect and support for his several dozen “alleged” rape victims? If you don’t, you are a total loser yourself.. I used to be one of your biggest fans Goldberg but now I couldn’t care any less what happens to your career based on your latest commentary. Shameful!

• brex21 says:

i suspect a lot of consentual and mutually enjoyed sexual encounters started with “hey, could i buy you a drink?”. Does this count? If someone is buying someone else a drug (alcohol) in exchange for a shot at sex?

47. Bill B. says:

I understand her gratitude, but she needs to face reality, something that she usually does, but she seems to be a bit blinded on this topic.

48. Jimmy Green says:

Oh, that’s right Whoopi he only used the ludes ONCE and never again. haha. Is that bridge still for sale?

• Greeley says:

Seems Whoopi made a snap judgement in saying Cosby only used qualudes once. She wasn’t there, she is not around him 24/7, how does she know he only used it once. Seems like she made a snap judgement there.