‘Penny Dreadful’ Renewed For Season 3 By Showtime

Televisions Best Moments 2015
Courtesy of Showtime

Showtime has given a third season renewal to horror drama “Penny Dreadful.”

The series spearheaded by screenwriter John Logan will begin production in Dublin this fall. Showtime has ordered nine episodes.

Season two of the period drama starring Eva Green and Josh Hartnett will wrap up on July 5.

“John Logan’s brilliant writing and this amazingly talented ensemble continue to draw a passionate, global fanbase into the meticulously crafted world of ‘Penny Dreadful,'” said Showtime Networks president David Nevins. “Together with our wonderful partners at Sky Atlantic, we’re excited to see what new haunts John and his team have in store for season three.”

“Dreadful” is a co-production of Showtime, Sky Atlantic and Neal Street Prods., the London-based banner headed by Sam Mendes.

“Dreadful” has been a multiplatform success story for Showtime, with a good portion of its audience coming through VOD and streaming platforms.

1. D. Dale says:

I absolutely LOVE(!!!!!!!) Penny Dreadful. I find it one of the most unique, well written shows for years. The cast are great!! Keep it coming Showtime!

2. I’ve not enjoyed a series more than Penny Dreadful. It’s had me captivated for weeks. Thank you for the incredible show. I’m your most great full fan…. Dorothy Holton.

3. Steph Robertson says:

Sure was hoping to be able to watch Penny Dreadful by Halloween. sigh,,,, bummed. Love stories like these.

4. Sylvia Ring says:

Who is the head of Production??

5. Andrew says:

I love the show! John Clare as Frankensteins monster makes the whole show for me. They could spin off his character to his own show– he’s that powerful of a character.

6. Venessa says:

I really like watching penny dreadful, the only bad thing about this searies, they take to long to make the seasons, season 2 just finish and they are saying we have to weight all the way till next year to see it again that not fair. Penny dreadful 3 not fair at all I look forward to this show every weekend, and please make miss Ives and Eathen to hook up again.

7. Grace says:

Thank goodness it has been renewed. I will watch this show for years to come. The writing, acting, sets, are spectacular. I love the existential journey all characters are on. The constant drama of romance, action, depravity, good vs. evil, the supernatural and spirituality make me swoon! Swoon like a damsel in a corset that is too tight and faints into handsome men’s arms! I want to know more of what the characters learn about love, faith and humanity. It transcends the limitations of our external world and any genre, and speaks of what is most horrifying, wonderful and relatable: what is in the heart of us all.
    I must know what it has to say to us when it returns next year. It is hard, but worth it, to wait for something so good. *sigh*

8. Carola says:

Very happy to hear of the 3rd season going into production soon.The best thing I’ve ever seen on television.The actors are superb and all make every episode a tour de force.
    The writing is great also;sensitive,starkly visionary and nightmarishly real.

9. MB says:

Why only nine episodes??? Penny dreadful is wickedly delicious. Need more at least 12.

10. jacquelyn webb says:

Penny dreadful is so horrific i love it all of them have their own monsters inside

11. MT says:

Excellent news! So thrilled we’ll get to see this story continue. Incredible writing for a currently bloated genre with an entire cast worthy of accolades but and agree, Eva Green is singularly stunning but Rory Kinnear also deserves attention for his wonderful portrayal of The Creature/John Clare. I don’t think anyone else could do what he’s doing with this character and he’s been so great to watch.

12. JoeR says:

I had heard that this would be a “make-or-break” season. Glad it is the former! If only “Constantine” had been on Showtime (or anywhere but NBC). Totally agree that Eva Green deserves an Emmy or Globe nod.

13. Jan says:

They need to renew 20 more seasons! I have never been so swept into a series like this before! I absolutely adore Vanessa, and Ethan can tear out my throat anytime, soooo sexy…..

14. Gabriel says:

Super excited! Brilliant show, great actors with superb writing, beautiful music and sets. Eva is great but to me all the actors rock in this show.

15. Stergios says:

So glad it’s been renewed! It’s such a brilliant show!!! Eva Green knocks it out of the park as Vanessa. She should win an Emmy to say the least.

16. Michael says:

love this news

17. katford says:

I absolutely love this show. Best thing on tv.

18. Keith W. says:

Penny Dreadful is one of the best shows I have ever watched! The acting is top notch especially Ms. Green! Made my day!

19. Katie says:

So happy it was renewed! Brilliant show!