Nina Dobrev, Michael Trevino Leaving ‘Vampire Diaries’

'Vampire Diaries': Nina Dobrev Leaving CW
Image courtesy of The CW

Well, this sucks.

The Vampire Diaries” cast members Nina Dobrev and Michael Trevino have announced they are leaving the popular CW series.

“I’ve just spent the most beautiful weekend on Lake Lanier in Georgia with my own TVD Family, the cast and crew of ‘The Vampire Diaries,'” Dobrev, who stars in the series, posted on Instagram. “I want to be the first to tell you that it wasn’t just a holiday celebration, it was a goodbye party. I always knew I wanted Elena’s story to be a six season adventure, and within those six years I got the journey of a lifetime. I was a human, a vampire, a doppelganger, a crazy immortal, a doppelganger pretending to be human, a human pretending to be a doppelganger. I got kidnapped, killed, resurrected, tortured, cursed, body-snatched, was dead and undead, and there’s still so much more to come before the season finale in May. Elena fell in love not once, but twice, with two epic soulmates, and I myself made some of the best friends I’ll ever know and built an extended family I will love forever.”

“Vampire Diaries” exec producer Julie Plec, who developed the series with Kevin Williamson, had warm wishes for Dobrev, who has played the heroine (and sometimes the villain) on the long-running series.

“Saying goodbye to Nina is both bittersweet and beautiful. After six-plus years together, the entire cast and crew of ‘The Vampire Diaries’ has reached a level of closeness that I don’t think any of us ever expected,” she said in a statement. “Nina is excited to spread her wings, get some rest, travel the world and also take it by storm, and we support her a thousand-fold. We will miss Nina and the four hundred characters she played, but we look forward to the insane and exciting challenge of continuing to tell stories of our Salvatore Brothers and our much-loved and gifted ensemble.”

She added that Trevino, who saw his character of Tyler Lockwood morph from a snotty rich kid to a werewolf hybrid to someone who is trying to suppress his supernatural destiny, “has been a beloved member of ‘The Vampire Diaries’ family since day one.” She said that his casting in the ABC pilot “Kingmakers” means “he’s also going to be out in the world exploring new opportunities. We look forward to finding creative ways to make sure he and his character … always remain a part of the show.”

Plec previously told Variety she would want to continue the show, if one of the leads were to leave. “I would because it’s a challenge,” she confirmed.

Shortly after the series was handed an early renewal for Season 7, with the prospect of losing a major player, Plec alluded to a focus shift, especially on characters Damon and Stefan Salvatore (Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley, respectively).

“I don’t even know if I ever thought we would get this far when we started the series,” she told Variety. “Obviously, it was a love triangle, but it’s also about brothers and it’s also about the ensemble. Ian becoming the breakout character over the years, you could have Damon Salvatore reading the phone book and people would probably still tune in.”

Plec added, “For me, as we shed characters over the next couple of years, there’s a challenge of keeping the storytelling fresh and exciting, and seeing if we can keep the audience excited and invested in the show because it takes a new spin and a new direction that’s entertaining.”

As for the storyline for Elena (Dobrev), the showrunner stayed mum on all characters’ fates.

“Creatively, some people have said, ‘Please don’t ever kill me,’ and other people have said, ‘I’ve got a shelf life, but I’m 100% in it until then,'” she said. “And so, that will play itself out over the next couple of years, and then we’ll see how long the show survives and how long it stays fresh.”

“The Vampire Diaries” is based on a series of books by L.J. Smith and is produced by Williamson’s Outerbanks Entertainment, Alloy Entertainment, CBS Television Studios and Warner Bros. Television. It follows the dangerous adventures of Dobrev’s character Elena Gilbert, who has the (mis)fortune of looking exactly like a centuries-old vampire named Katherine. Both she and her supernatural counterpart had routinely managed to win the the hearts of the Salvatore brothers.

The series premiered in 2009 at the height of the vampire craze, thanks to similar projects like the “Twilight” movie and HBO’s “True Blood.” It drew nearly 5 million viewers to become the network’s most-watched premiere ever (finally surpassed this fall by the premiere of “The Flash”). “The Originals,” a spinoff series that focused on the first family of vampires, debuted in 2013 on the CW.

Elizabeth Wagmeister contributed to this report.

1. Emily says:

VICTORIA JUSTICE CAN DO IT

2. alesha says:

Victoria justice would be a great replacement, she’s beautiful and looks just like Nina. She is a wonderful actor and it would work out as it does on any other show that has a actress replaced

3. Jesika says:

Will Nina be back? Ever!?

4. adejoke says:

I still don’t want Nina dobrev to leave. The film is not going to be interesting to me anymore… Pls beg Nina not to leave

5. sjsims says:

Seriously!? What is happening? First McDreamy from Grey’s and now Elena and Tyler? Why is everyone jumping ship?

Well, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m really curious to see what direction TVD will be heading in once Nina leaves the show. It’s really sad that we will be losing the Damon and Elena relationship. Perhaps this is a good thing? Caroline and Stephen may never have a fair shot with their exes around.

Who knows???? We shall see what happens!!!

Maybe Damon and Bonnie will have a go at it! :D

6. Its a very sad news to hear i am quite sorry shes leaving

7. Kin says:

Best news I’ve heard tbh. Finally, some of the other, more interesting (less whiny, self-centred) characters, are finally going to be in the spotlight, instead of it being The Elena Show all day every day. Good luck to Nina Dobrev on her future, but boy am I glad Elena isn’t going to be around anymore!

8. Lisa says:

I think you guys should continue with The Vampire Diaries seasons. They were always interesting and made you never want to miss the next episode. You gave the fans and I a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the entire show. I can’t imagine Thursdays without Vampire Diaries on TV. There is so much more you can add into the show with the upcoming events that happen. The crew and cast are amazing together and i’m very upset that they will be breaking apart. It’s not only a show that teens watch, my whole family watches it including my mom and dad. We love the twists and mystery’s that go on throughout the different seasons.

9. Javis Michael says:

I will miss Nina
    d
    obrev

10. evielemoni says:

if nina dobrev leaves from the vampire diaries there is nothing to see !!

11. Bren says:

I am guessing they won’t actually kill her off but instead put her in another body. Like they did with Rebekah and others on The Originals. Perhaps, Bonnie will be the one to do it. Or maybe they do kill her off or she pulls a Katherine and skips town. There has been a little bit of sexual tension between Damon and Bonnie ever since they were stuck in 1994. May be worth exploring.

12. Ron Belback says:

You know they could cast another actress as Elena, Victoria Justice anyone?

13. Murica! says:

I might start watching again. The last couple of seasons were terrible. It went from the vampire diaries to the elena diaries. All elena and tyler did was whine and cry. I’m glad they’re leaving.

14. ana says:

Beautiful forever!!!!! <3 ♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♡♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♡♡♡♥

15. Feisty Gurl says:

See ya, way over-rated and totally in love with herself.

16. Anon says:

It will be interesting to see how people will react now that Nina left as they were complaining quite a bit about her.

17. Susanne says:

I’m still going to watch because I’m curious how it wil go from here. But I have my doubts… So I’ll see

18. Facts44 says:

Yes best news I’ve had in months thank god we can finally stop worrying about her constant whinning and her fans bickering and defending someone without any justifications Now we can finally get back to enjoying the show without the drama and the story itself without the handicap that is Nina dovre and her fans that makes the show impossible to watch or tolorate and so we stopped watching name watch the ratings drop now all you Nina fans can go follow her life in the tabloids now and take the shows current rating fans that are killing it with you so the rest of us can come back to the show and fix it maybe we might think of having her for a guest appereance in the future And the only reason she’s leaving is because of the ratings because she knows it’s dying so she wants to use that as a publicity stunt to get her name up there again sinces her name only comes out when it has to do with ian I guess she learned he lesson from all her flings

19. Adia Candy says:

Oh shit there goes TVD for me. Im out too.

20. Amanda says:

Too funny. The TVD fandom always behaved like they were owed something and they actually ran the actors and the show. They still do. There must be a lot of children crying in their bath water before bed tonight.

21. sofia says:

don’t leave nina don’t leave vampire diaries please don’t leave vampire diaries

22. Bren says:

I say, just end TVD. Mystic Falls and the college is getting boring anyways. The Salvatore Brothers and company need to take a trip to New Orleans and join The Originals. How great would that be? Caroline shows up with Stefan and reunites with Klaus…oh yeah!

23. Jalil Hanafe says:

Sarah Salvatore will be the new Elena… :D

24. Heidi says:

how can you keep a series going, that was based on a book series from a character point of view, that will no longer be casted? I’ve been an avid reader of the book series, and was excited that it was turning into a TV series. This just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

25. vicky says:

NOOOOO😭

26. IT 2 IT says:

Franchise slums
    —————unto franchise slums
    ———————–unto more, decades STALE, franchise slums.

27. Donna says:

Oops I think she jumped ship before the ratings plummeted even further. It used to be must see TV for me, now it stays on my DVR until I’ve watched other cable shows. They should just quit while they are ahead and also by the Ian Somerholder used to be the show but not so much without Nina. I won’t be watching without Nina bye.

28. AP says:

“…you could have Damon Salvatore reading the phone book and people would probably still tune in.” I don’t watch tvd but I think too many showrunners have this attitude. It’s why almost all shows go downhill after a certain number of seasons, they stop trying and just rely on fanservice.

29. Cami says:

Go and try to keep TVD with only Damon… Even in the books, Elena was the main character. The Vampire Diares without Elena will flop so down on the ratings… They should end it this season before it gets too embarasing for her and Caroline Dries… Wanna make a show about Damon and Stefan, go and based a spin off upon the ‘Stefan diaries’ series…

• Graham says:

TVD is actually about Stefan- rewatch the Pilot and you’ll see it is his narration from which it begins, and it is ultimately about the journals Stefan keeps regarding his life as a vampire. That said, Elena has obviously become the forefront of the show despite this because Plec and the other writers didn’t do enough to keep the show about Stefan. Now Elena is gone, so is the show.

30. They’re gonna center the show around Caroline and Stephano?