NeNe Leakes Leaving ‘Real Housewives of Atlanta’

NeNe Leakes Leaving Real Housewives of
Grant Lamos IV/FilmMagic

UPDATED: It’s time for “Real Housewives” fans to say goodbye to NeNe Leakes.

The “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star announced Monday that she’s leaving the Bravo show after seven seasons. Leakes is the last remaining original member on the Atlanta series.

“This was definitely a hard decision for me,” Leakes told People magazine, which first broke the news. “Me and my husband [Gregg Leakes] have been going back and forth on it for weeks now. But my contract is up and I just think this is the right time. This is my opportunity to spread my wings and do different things.”

She also tweeted about the news later on Monday.

Leakes, one of the most memorable players from the “Real Housewives” franchise, also teased a future project, saying she’s doing a primetime TV show with a “big legend.”

“All of my fans will get to see me be really happy, witty and funny and tell all of those one liners that I always have said on ‘Housewives,'” Leakes said.

A fan favorite, Leakes was known for the fights between her and other cast members, including Kenya Moore, Phaedra Parks, Kandi Burruss, Cynthia Bailey and Kim Zolciak-Biermann.

“I feel a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders,” Leakes said of leaving the drama behind.

Even so, Leakes left the door open for cameos, saying she’ll “probably pop up and play with those girls every now and then.”

“We wish NeNe well after seven memorable seasons of the ‘Real Housewives of Atlanta,'” a Bravo spokesperson said in a statement. “We will miss her bloop bloop’s and her great one liners. We look forward to the eighth season of the ‘Real Housewives of Atlanta’ in the fall.”

1. sherman says:

I will not be looking at Atlanta Housewives because of Nene leaving and she made the show and the rest of the cast won’t shine since Nene brought out the best in them. I won’t be watching this season either. I LOVE YOU NeNe

2. Michael says:

Nene makes the show, and when she get upset you get NayNay and she is the reason I watch. I will not be watching this show anymore until Nene returns.

3. vfocused says:

I will miss you Nene so, so, so very much! RHOA will not be a show without you due to the boring cast members. This reality show has to have a fun, glamorous, witty person and that was Nene Leakes. There was sometimes drama but she kept the show interesting and brought the ratings every time. Bravo please get her back no matter how much you have to pay. Nene is worth 2 million a season because she carried the show. People were not watching for Cynthia, Khandi, and Kenya and maybe Portia. They were really wanting see Nene and Phaedra. They always had an interesting storyline because they were actually married. Nene is right the show is called Real Housewives of Atl not the single ladies of Atlanta. Please get her back and I will not watch until she returns. Wish you best Nene and will be watching for you to return to RHOA. I am sure Andy will miss you too. Hope to see you in cameos but only if I know ahead of time. I am sure they will need you to pop in on Phaedra and Portia at times. Please come back Nene and let them know who is still the queen! Love you Nene!

4. minxomatic says:

Leakes is an embarrassment to black women – to ALL women. Anyone who’s seen her REAL demeanor and behavior on RHOA know this. An arrogant, paranoid, and narcissistic bully. “They always felt like I was the star, and they were never able to
    really shine with me there, so here’s their opportunity to shine.”She’ll never get over herself. A legend in her own mind! Bye, Wig!!

• vfocused says:

Wow all that hate and you actually still used Nene’s saying, “Bye, Wig!” That came from Nene, so good for you that you remembered the phrase she came up with. See how much you paid attention. lol Nene is really confident and she gives herself what she doesn’t get from others and when she does, maybe she wants more, praise that is. I understand its better to let others praise you so to not come off arrogant, but in Hollywood, the more hype, either from others and/or yourself, it still works because it creates buzz. If you are boring and you are not confident and you are not aggressive its hard to last in Hollywood. If people haven’t heard of you, they don’t care to take your picture, they don’t care about who you are, they wont call you for work. Hollywood does not care what race, age, height, weight if you have a buzz about you. If you are everywhere and look as if you are “rich bitch” as she always says then you will be. People we treat you the way you treat yourself. Some want to be that but without the limelight, (Khandi) Khandi loves to make money and has made lots of it but she is very low key and doesn’t wish to have that kind of fame. She wants to be on the DL with hers and that is ok if that is what she wants but because of her being on RHOA. It gives her the platform for more. She is still ok with just being the low-key not so famous 90’s rnb singer/songwriter/reality personality and of course Mrs. Todd Tucker with a baby on the way I heard! That’s all good! For some as Nene, she is done with Kids and is about business, acting, and whatever she decides to do but hype it up for Hollywood so that whether she is successful (big or small) She is still the hype the buzz, whats happening. When you are that, then Hollywood treats you as such! People in the business love Nene Leakes and they may not even watch real Housewives of ATL so…….Sometimes you get ahead by putting yourself there. Others will come and doors will open! So keep saying “Bye, Wig” and eveytime you do Nene gets recognized for that because that is what she made up! I am sure she is smiling everytime she she see’s it! I think she has T shirts of all that she has said, like ” Girl Bye! ” Don’t know if that was hers but she is capitalizing off of all of them. Her friend Tamar Braxton does the same thing. Its called “building a brand” Some wealthy people are on tv but they really don’t have a brand. They are boring and unpopular. Have money but no one knows their name. So first you have to believe in yourself to make it possible and she does that no matter what

5. ZsaZsa says:

Good riddance to Amazon woman – rude, overbearing …. never allowing anyone to speak – just boom her body and voice over everyone! Sorry to say, you’re convinced you’ve got talent.

6. pauli says:

Good news! Now I can enjoy watching “Housewives of Atlanta” without being subjected to NNL’s bad grammar, high-handed, obnoxious, self-serving, egocentric, power tripping ‘tude.. I would watch her & think to myself, “so lucky you never were forced to “do lunch” with that one!” I do understand that in order to achieve a measure of ” success” & earn $$$$, NNL adopted whatever methods would work in her personal comfort zone…no issue with that! However, cannot tolerate her overall personality & how MEAN her spirit is, especially when she summoned up her supposed “alter ego”, forget the name she called herself–talk about a rationalization for bad behavior, an odious defense mechanism to employ., in my opinion…People rag on Kendra, & maybe she has some dicey, crossing the line intentions, but at least she is REAL & calls it as she sees it, no apologies for her opinions, & doesn’t aim to twist the knife in the back of her co-stars, & she can handle most confrontation issues.She was never the villain, only realiity show villain is Ms NNL & her passive/aggressive,, patroniziing husband, Greg.Bye, bye, NNL…don’t do an “encore”, please!

7. Letitia LaMar says:

Real Housewives of Atlanta doesn’t and won’t work without NeNe Leakes, Kendra is a hot mess running….NeNe kept it “real,” no pun intended…thx you

8. Jason says:

1 down. 4 to go. Stupid show. Stupid people who watch it. And no I didn’t read the article.

9. JoNell Lassiter says:

No no no, don’t leave Nene, your the reason I watch faithfully, because I see you as fun, funny, very stylish, I just love you, it won’t be the same, and I love your husband Greg, a true gentleman with positive words of advise and wisdom. Please show up sometime, like a LOT, okay, take care and look forward to see you on the new show, a real fan.

10. Greg says:

It is about time. I have always wondered why so many people think she is so great. Personally, I think she is the phoniest most insincere person. She is also one of the meanest, most hateful of all of the of the entire housewife franchise. She does and says everything she can to turn everyone against one of the other housewives if she is mad at them, including making up lies about them. And , runs away if she is confronted about all of the things she says or does. Farewell to the stripper/lapdancer. Now, let us all hope the next phony leaves as well. You know Phaedra. The one that wears her clothes 2 sizes too small, and cares about no one except herself.

11. EFT4Me says:

See Ya…Wouldn’t want to be Ya!

12. Rox says:

You will truly be missed. You were the corner stone of RHOA. Good luck to Bravo!!! All the best with your endeavors. You’ll do well. In spite of the doubters. Favor in Jesus name :-)