Courteney Monroe Promoted to Lead National Geographic Global Networks

Ward Platt and Courteny Monroe National
Courtesy of National geographic

Courteney Monroe has been promoted to lead National Geographic channels worldwide as part of the management restructuring that accompanied the expansion of 21st Century Fox’s partnership with the National Geographic Society.

Monroe had been CEO of National Geographic Channels U.S. In her new role as CEO of National Geographic Global Networks, she will oversee programming, marketing and operations for all Nat Geo-branded channels around the world as well as the National Geographic Studios production arm.

Ward Platt, who had been CEO of National Geographic Channels International, will move to COO of the National Geographic Partners venture. In September, Fox and the National Geographic Society unveiled a new arrangement that called for Fox to invest $725 million in a deal that puts the venerable magazine and digital operations under the same umbrella as the TV channels. Fox now owns 73% of National Geographic Partners, with the society retaining the remaining 27%.

The transaction formally closed on Monday. The new management structure was unveiled by National Geographic Partners CEO Declan Moore.

“National Geographic is one of the world’s most trusted brands, delivering unique and compelling storytelling of science, discovery and wonder to consumers for over a century,” Moore said. “We’re excited to officially begin our journey to bring a new and integrated National Geographic experience to people worldwide.”

The goal is to foster greater collaboration between the magazine and digital operations with the TV channels, which reach some 500 million households in 171 countries. Under Monroe, Nat Geo TV has turned its focus back to high-end docu series fare and a handful of scripted series productions. The intent is to maintain the prestige of the magazine’s scientific and exploratory research while mining that material for prospective programs.

Also in the new order, Nat Geo magazine editor-in-chief Susan Goldberg will add the title of editorial director. She’ll oversee all print and digital publishing operations for the brand in an effort to align their editorial missions across platforms. Goldberg joined Nat Geo in 2014 from Bloomberg News.

Jeffrey Schneider will serve as head of business and legal affairs for Nat Geo Partners, shifting from his role in the same capacity for the channels group.

Monroe, an alum of HBO, joined Nat Geo Channel in 2012 as head of marketing. She was promoted to CEO of the domestic channel in 2014.

(Pictured: Ward Platt, Courteney Monroe)

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 1

Leave a Reply

1 Comment

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Janny says:

    Now I understand why the National Geographic channel quit filming Alaska State Troopers and why they insert trailers for Life Below Zero and The Story of God into every commercial sequence. FOX bought them. I hate the shows about Alaska (Not the Trooper stories), you are portraying a bunch of loser poachers and theft of public resources, I can’t stand that woman and don’t watch any of those stupid people who poach off of Alaska.
    Nat Geo is finished. Skewed stories to follow.

More TV News from Variety

Loading