‘Mythbusters’ to End After Next Season

'Mythbusters' Cancelled: : Discovery Series Ending
Courtesy of Discovery

Discovery’s “Mythbusters” will end after the next season, Variety has confirmed.

The series was created by Peter Rees and stars special effects experts Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman. Using elements of the scientific method — and a lot of enthusiasm — it has tested theories and pop culture phenomenons as varied as whether a person could be sucked down by quicksand to the likelihood of Walter White’s “Breaking Bad” stunts actually working. There have also been several shark-themed episodes in conjunction with Discovery’s Shark Week programming. The most recent season’s final episode aired in September and was “Star Wars” themed.

“’Mythbusters’ is — and will always be — an incredibly important part of Discovery’s history,” said Rich Ross, group president of Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and Science Channel. “Adam and Jamie are enormous talents who have brought learning and science to the forefront of this network, and their legacy will continue to live on over at Science Channel. The ‘Mythbusters’ library will be moving over to Discovery’s sister network in 2016, where I know audiences new and old alike will be able to experience and learn with Adam and Jamie and the rest of the ‘Mythbusters’ family.”

The longest-running show on Discovery, “Mythbusters” premiered in January 2003. It is produced for Discovery Channel by Beyond Productions with Dan Tapster serving as show runner and executive producer and John Luscombe executive producing. Joshua C. Berkley serves as executive producer for Discovery Channel. Guest stars have included Seth Rogen, James Cameron, Aaron Paul, Vince Gilligan, Sophia Bushand and President Obama.

“For 14 years Adam and Jamie have given blood, sweat, tears and more to ‘Mythbusters,'” said John Luscombe, g.m. and exec v.p. of Beyond Productions. “Their unique personalities and extraordinarily diverse skill sets have literally redefined science television. It has been an absolute pleasure to be part of their time at the helm of ‘Mythbusters.”

“Making ‘Mythbusters’ has fundamentally and irrevocably altered the way I think as a person, as an artist, and as a scientist,” said Savage. “I’m glad for the chance to say goodbye with some of the best television we’ve ever made. I will miss making this show.”

Hyneman added that he “never dreamed we would be on television at all, much less for such a long time and with so much praise for keeping a thought provoking show on the air. And best of all, we were able to do what we do and still have all our fingers and toes.”

By the end of its final season, which premieres on Jan. 9, it will have aired 248 episodes that will have covered 2950 experiments, explored 1050 myths, and created 900 explosions. Keeping with the ethos of the series, Discovery insists that the final season of “Mythbusteres” will go out with a bang as Savage and Hyneman explore car stunts, social science, viral videos, explosions and rockets.

This holiday season, Science Channel will also air a “Mythbusters” marathon starting with the first episode, which explores whether a 1967 Chevy can take off with JATO rockets and if ingesting Pop Rocks and soda really will make your stomach explode.

Entertainment Weekly first broke this news.

Cancelled TV Shows 2015: What’s Not Returning to Primetime

1. Maintain the excellent job and delivering in the group!

2. SilentBoy741 says:

They never should’ve gotten rid of Kari Byron.

3. David Plick says:

Really going to miss this show, what will the busters be doing next?
    Good Bye Buster!

4. Carmen Miller says:

Growing up I was not a science person, but after watching the Mythbuster cast I truly enjoyed learning about science. I think if while I was in school school there was a program like this I would have enjoyed all the different elements of science. Thank you guys for all you have done this past 14 years to help to mold young minds. You all will all be truly missed. May your future endeavors be awesome.

5. Mark Brown says:

It’s sad to see the mythbusters show has to come to the end. I will miss my most favorite show. But we all learned most of the things we understood how dangerous the things can be so we know to be very careful and not do these things to keep our fingers and toes lol.

6. Cornelius L. Cobbin says:

Would like to see the implosion of the train tank car.

7. Ron says:

MythBusters was and will be one of the best shows, every time they were on my kids would come in off the street to watch the show. Ever since the first show of duct tape came out my boys now carry rolls of duct tape with them. Shows like this should not be stopped kids can learn a lot. I agree there was to much blowing cars, boats, ect. They could of did something else but the show was great… Two of my boys are now in boy scout and they always have a roll or 2 of duct tape with them just in case they need to use it. 5 months ago my boys made me a hat, cup, plate, hammock and even a fishing pole out of duct tape all I have to say is Thank You Adam and Jamie for all the wonderful shows you will be missed.

8. william r. says:

watched the show from day one, truly dont understand, like everything else, money rules the game, not ratings, I stopped watching show regularily after b-team left, WHY end a good thing because of rat(money)ings, keep this show going,and please bring back the kids, BEST SHOW EVER…MYTHBUSTERS…dont stop a good thing now, their just getting started!!! .

• Gloverboy6 says:

I don’t think it has to do with money OR ratings. If I were Adam or Jamie, I’d probably want the show so I could go on and do other things. I think they’ve had a blast doing the show, but like George Lucas, I think they just want to be known for something else.

9. Alex says:

Shark Week has kind of been phoned in the last few years.

10. larrybud says:

Gotta make room for more midgets with 20 kids, living in a house of skank!

11. Jon says:

It’s really sad to see this show go. I’m a big MB fan and learned alot. I loved the series from day 1 and it does sound strange to most,but I liked it a little bit more when Kari,Grant and Tori left. Not saying they where terrible as they also made the show interesting but liked how when just Adam and Jamie did there thing and do what they do best. I think when the team left most people though it wasn’t the same but everyone has there own opinion. MB is was discovery channel is all about. The science and discovery of new thing. Not your dumb reality crap like those logging shows and gold digging shows. You learn nothing from them and it’s a shame discovery channel as well as there sister networks like history channel went that route. MB was the only time I had turned on discovery. I really wish that the discovery channel will go back to their routes and make their channel back to what it’s actually called “discovery”. It’s a shame to see these guys go and looking forward to the last season. Hope it get replaced by another science show but knowing discovery,they’ll find some other retarted rednecks with a 3rd grade education for a new show. Such a shame

12. Tim Overbeck says:

Probably going to fill the void with another stupid logging show! This show is the backbone of the Channel and was a lousy decision to pull. I hope that they can find something equally interesting and entertaining as Mythbusters.

13. Dan says:

The show has a great run. The above suggests but does not specifically say why the show is ending. Will we see the dynamic duo in the future? Maybe they could do a reunion show once a year including some new stunts or previous ones with new technology. I know that’s a pipe dream. Going to miss the show just the same like I have missed other great shows.

• Dan says:

Was Tori, Grant and Kari leaving their choice? Were they looking at future choices or did they just want to move on?

• mrs says:

Rating were taking a nose dive and from what I found online they were trying to keep the show going by cutting cost. Sadly it didnt work because the show ended anyways because of low ratings. God forbid someone actually learn something now days. Sad its ended.

• Jon says:

From what I understand,ratings where starting to drop over a course of the past few years. My guess is it was due to Kari,Grant and Tori leaving. So probably it wasn’t making discovery enough money to keep it on the air and higher ups thought it would be best if they pulled it while it was on top of its game instead of letting it get stale.

14. Joel K says:

I realize that all good things must come to an end. But what Mythbusters has done, by bringing the science to the forefront of reality is something very special. I will sorely miss the guys, but the knowledge that I have obtained will not go away. Would like to thank the Mythbusters crew for making such a truly wonderful reality show.

• James Cowan says:

What the heck do you mean by the forefront of reality? Seems like your trying to insightful,when really your not making any sense at all. It did however really make me laugh.

15. Jose Alejandri says:

It is sad to see the show go. It’s one of the few shows where science is brought down to earth and turned into practical experiments. As an engineer, I was always amazed and delighted with the simplicity of the explanation of scientific principles. The show will be missed, surely to be replaced with more crappy bad taste reality shows or more pseudo/fake science.

16. anitacd says:

This is too sad. It is sad that the powers to be see that have had something good, no Great!

17. Connor says:

Will it still air on TV, or will it just be gone all together?

18. Buster Lover says:

Oh well, another reason to cut the cord to wired tv providers & save some money. Mythbusters has always been set on my dvr. My son was 8 when the show started and he grew into a young man and we still watched every season. I hate to see them go, they feel almost like family. It’s hard to say goodbye. I’ll miss one of the best family friendly shows of all time. I almost forgot to mention Buster, I’ll miss you to but if anyone deserves to retire poor Buster does. Lol

19. Zornkoenig says:

Okay, greetings and sorry for my english writing (native german, had an afro-american girlfriend once but the talking and writing skills faded away) I dont even know why i have to justify this… so be it…
    Mythbusters is my absolutely favourite tv-show ever! 38 years old of age i prefer their stories above all the other tv-productions, all of them – reality, social interaction, science, unknown technical possibilities, building stuff… I hate the idea that this show has to die cause of unknown reasons… please, i beg you – let jamie and adam enlighten us till the day of their inability to do so…
    “I reject my reality and substitute their own”
    And if its inevitable… Farewell my friends and thanks a lot for your work towards education.

20. Rhiannon Roberts says:

This saddens me so much. The Mythbusters have been part of my whole life I mean really I’ve always loved this show. I used to watch it all the time and pretend I was part of the show. These are like my heros.Yes I may only be 16 but that does not matter. It does not change that these guys inspired me to try to become a science engineer major. I will always remember this show.

21. Ed Frugal says:

I bet ratings slid because Discovery didn’t really support the show. They should have aired older episodes during the week, like other shows do, keep it in the public eye. Everytime I turn on Discovery channel its either naked people running around in the woods or a bunch of guys working on motorcycles. I haven’t seen Mythbusters in quite a while because it becomes a matter of “out of sight out of mind”. What a shame. . . I hear they air it on the Science channel, but people like me who only get basic cable don’t get that channel.

• Couldnt agree with you more Ed, between the 45 different variations of shows about Alaska, to idiots rebuilding cars that 99% of the population would never be able to do, or afford to do, I’ve had it with “reality” shows, Discovery really has messed up television programming, look at the fiasco they created with Dual Survival, the show started out great, until they split up Dave and Cody, (who have been successful in their own endeavours.) they put in that sociopath Joe Teti, and after several contentious years, cancelled that show, Discovery channel is not what it used to be.

22. Chief Beef says:

Sad that Variety apparently can’t even mention the real reason the show got canceled — lower ratings due to the departure of Torey, Grant, and Kari, which could have been prevented if the money-hungry bureaucrats that seem to make all the decisions on TV shows hadn’t let them walk over a pay dispute.

Of course they won’t learn their lesson, but hopefully other execs will — pay your performers what they’re worth, not what the bottom line says they should be paid.

23. Occultology says:

I loved the Mythbusters episode where they totally disproved the government’s bogus 9/11 mass murder “19 Saudi Hyjackers/ Osama bin Laden” lie.

24. Walt says:

While I’m definitely a Mythbusters fan, it has to be said it’s like the show ended a few seasons ago already.

The latest stuff has been quite silly, to be honest. I mean, The Simpsons myths?? Cartoon myths? Really?

Anyway, thank you very much lady and gents! It was a fun ride!

25. BillUSA says:

I really do enjoy Mythbusters. One of the most appealing aspects is how Adam and Jamie don’t take themselves seriously while being very serious about safety. They have the ultimate jobs and I’ve enjoyed the show.

26. Matt Bennett says:

Now there absolutely no reason to watch Discovery. TLC hasn’t been worth watching for a long time too. History is the Nazi-UFO-Bigfoot channel. A la carte tv would be nice. I don’t need all these useless “reality” channels.

27. Peter Rees says:

THANK YOU VARIETY – For correctly crediting the shows creator and the person who led it to all it’s ratings records.

28. This show went downhill the moment folklorist Heather Joseph-Witham left.

• SilentBoy741 says:

This is one of those “to each his own ” moments, I always thought that lady was a bit of a loon.

29. Chas Holman says:

It was fun television.. An almost non existent beast anymore.

I watched it occasionally when I had the time and it was there to watch, and without exception, every time was a good viewing experience.

30. Chuck says:

The writing has been on the wall for this one for some time… Tory & Grant yeah they should have gone. Kari… not so much. But the whole revamped “We’re appealing to younger audiences” motif the last couple seasons took just made it apparent they were scrambling. Not to mention doing myths that weren’t even myths. Just blatant ratings grabber fluff. Oh well. Onward and upward.

31. David. M. says:

Once they fired Grant, Tory and Kari the show wasn’t worth watching.

32. Once Kari and her skin tight jeans left, the show was a lot less interesting.

33. bicyclebill2000 says:

“… the rest of the ‘Mythbusters’ family”.  Now you’re beginning to sound like “Gilligan’s Island” — “…the movie star, and the rest”.  What’s going on?  Are you not even allowed to mention Grant Imahara, Tory Belleci, or Kari Byron by name any more?

But I notice several of the suits behind the scenes got named, along with “guest stars” like Seth Rogen, James Cameron, and President Obama.

34. Mr Furious says:

It should’ve ended about six seasons ago.